Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hung up over comments?

Hi All,
I was curious if many of you are still concerned over whether you get comments, since it is a very common subject on SCS. I used to be (for 2 years) and recently (in the past 3 months) have, for some reason, gotten over it! I don't know why, as it was quite important to me to get some validation. In fact, if I had a card that had zero comments, I actually deleted it from my gallery! YES! :rolleyes:

So recently, I seemed to have stopped checking (once in a while I look) for comments nor being concerned if I get any at all. I have a card in my gallery with few views and no comments and I've left it in, since I like it. It took me 2 years to get to this point. It's a nice feeling. I guess I finally got my validation .... but from myself. I'm a happy stamper! Just wish it had not taken so long.

And this from a perfectionist! I must be mellowing in my old age!

What about the rest of you??

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I say don't delete.

The fact that you took the time to make it and you felt it was good enough to upload to the gallery, that should be enough validation for you that it was a great card. I am new to stamping and cardmaking and have viewed the gallery several times in the past couple of weeks and have not made a comment on any card. Not that I didn't find one I liked, it's just I didn't have the time to comment on all the great work I saw.

Keep making great cards and don't forget to put them "and keep them" in the gallery!!!

LaToya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Oh Denise!!!! I completely understand. I frequently check my gallery for extra comments because I too need validation. Whilst I have a close circle of friends that all stamp and enjoy it, I don't think they enjoy it, or have the time to enjoy it, like I do!!!!! So, SCS gives me that validation. I'm so excited this week because I have two cards that have been favourited quite a lot. That's a lovely feeling. But at the end of the day, I put up my cards in the hope that people will enjoy looking at them. If they choose to leave a comment, so be it. If not, no problem. If they favourite it - great!!! If not, again, no problem. I have a lot of days where I'm just too darn busy to comment on all the beautiful cards I see and sometimes have to limit it commenting on the cards that really jump out at me.

I'm glad you're where you're at now, but I do surely understand the validation point!!!!!!

Cav

PS: I love your gallery and I'll be sure to make some comments in the future - lol!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

See, this is why I just don't upload cards...I don't need anymore anxiety in my life!! Or should I just start now and get my two years started???

Decisions, decisions. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Smile

being new I look at at the new uploads, I try to make comments, but there are so many that are so wonderful, but not enough time to comment. But I do appreciate every ones creative work, and their taking time to share. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I just l ooked at your gallery and I was amazed at the number of comments that you have on many of your cards. You must be doing something right. I really enjoyed your gallery- Keep up the good work-- Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

I LOVE To get comments and would like to have more constructive comments besides nice job coloring...I always wonder, is that the ONLY thing that was good??? LOL What a butt huh? I try to leave a comment in the cards that have 0 when there are others with 15 for the daily upload as I know I am excited to check my gallery after a recent download....its a bummer to see nada written almost makes me wonder if they are icky!:rolleyes: OK, so I KWYM and I hope to get to the point where you are at, as I dont load all my cards only the ones that I think people will like, I do throw out quite a few knockers! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

The cards with comments are usually cards done for challenges. Lately, I have not been doing the challenges. Hence no comments. Maybe 1 or 2. But it is ok for me now. And I don't understand it, because it used to be soooo important to me. A perfectionist type A personality not getting comments?? The world was just not right!! LOL!

So I am very happy that I have come to this point and the only validation I need is from myself. Sounds so corny, but it makes a big difference. I used to only do challenges because I knew I would get comments. Now I just make cards whenever and could care less about anyone commenting, faving, whatever.

Don't get me wrong. It's always nice to be faved or commented, but I am good without it now. It's almost like a physical relief for me. I think it has to do with my personality type. Just one less thing on my plate for me to get anxious over!! LOL!

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love comments and faves, but I don't worry about the cards that only get a few comments.

I have definitely edited my gallery over the last couple of years, but not based on comments. If I look back at it and cringe, it gets deleted, regardless of the number of comments. There are some older projects in my gallery that probably won't be there in a few months.

Last edited by krystie lee; 03-29-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I love comments, if a card doesnt' get any, I still get a little paranoid. But overall if I like the card it stays in the gallery. The ones I like the most, get the fewest comments but oh well!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
If I look back at it and cringe, it gets deleted, regardless of the number of comments. There are some older projects in my gallery that probably won't be there in a few months.
me too!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Okay, I have to be honest here: I wonder when I don't get comments, don't they like my cards??? I do realize that there are so many cards entered on this site daily and I shouldn't take it personally. But that's hard to do. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamperView Post
I love comments, if a card doesnt' get any, I still get a little paranoid. But overall if I like the card it stays in the gallery. The ones I like the most, get the fewest comments but oh well!
LOL! Oh, this is so true! I used to say to DH, oh, the girls on SCS are going to LOVE this card! And this other one, well, I'll post it, but UGGO! Then the reverse happens. They love the UGGO card and the one I think is better is ignored. It's hilarious!! So you never know!

I have some of my very first cards still in my gallery.....I was going to remove them, then thought better of it. Shows how far a person has come from when they started stamping. And they are good for a laugh!

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who looks for validation from scs. I hope I can get to the point you are at Denise. I really get angry with myself over this "need" I seem to have. I am still new at this and positive feedback is too important to me.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry....I'm hijacking my thread, but at least I'm sticking to the subject matter. Maybe the reason, initially when one starts stamping, is because of just that. When you start, you really do need validation in order to continue. Whether that validation comes from SCS or your DH or your mom, friend, whoever. Who wants to do a hobby, especially crafting and not be told you are good at it. Or at least improving.

It's been about 2.5 years since I started stamping and I am noticing I have started to finally relax about the whole thing. I'm the type of person who gets really gung-ho over new stuff. I have to buy everything. Be the best I can be. The whole ball of wax. Of course, this is terribly tiring.

I am having more fun making my cards now, because I am not making them for the SCSers, but for myself, my friends, etc. Initially, I was making them for SCS. I think this is normal for many of us when we start.

Of course, I am sure there will always be long-time stampers who crave constant validation. I cannot condemn this need.I do understand it. I think it is simply who they are; what they need. Probably the reason comment threads come up so often. It will always be a subject with many views.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

I feel the same way about cards in the challenges getting the most comments. But then, there are times when I've done a challenge card, and it's gotten a few comments, yet the ones in the gallery on either side of me have 30-40 comments! It makes me wonder what is so wrong with my card?! It's frustrating when I am looking for feedback and getting none. Hopefully someday I'll get to the point where I don't care about comments either.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

One other note: I encourage you who don't have much time to participate in the commenting threads. All you do is visit the gallery of the person who posted above you and comment on two of their cards. It's quick and easy, and you get to see many different galleries that you might not have come across otherwise. Just a thought.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Denise, I think about this too, glad I am not the only one. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think about this a lot since some of my cards that have more comments than others are my own personal favorites or what I feel is my *best* work. That said, I'm at the point now where I feel like my SCS gallery and blog are places where I can store my cards and reflect back on them to see how I've grown and what I need to do.

Personally, I think that there are a lot of great cards that don't get many hits because they're not "set up" right. I know that when I spend time taking 20 pics of one card with the right lighting I can make it look pretty awesome even with my not so great camera. There are many cards I do see that would be "great" if it weren't fuzzy and were a better pic to actually see it. Many people get hits and comment because 1) they're popular 2) they post right when a challenge starts 3) they're completely awesome and have lots of fans/stalkers 4) they post when the latest and greatest come out and people are searching for what they've got

Anyway, I made this much longer than I wanted but while I like comments, I don't worry too much if I don't have that many. My biggest validation is going to come when I get published :-) which means I need to get to work and keep submitting and can't upload till I know for sure it's not accepted.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Well, although i still like comments, Ihave got to the point where when people favorite my card and don't leave a comment, that means as much to me! I do agree that although the "Cute Card" comment is still nice to get, I do love when someone points out something specific about the card that theyliked. But, Idon't think i would ever delete something from my gallery, unless i now hated it. I use it also as a gallery for myself and to help me if i like a layout and want to duplicate it---even if my cardmaking skills way back when are really subpar. But to each his own;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

It used to bother me a lot when a card got only a comment or two, but I recently checked out the galleries of some former DD Gallery designers, and they have many cards that have only a few comments.
The fact is, the site has grown so large that it's easy to have a card overlooked due to the huge number of daily uploads.
I rarely participate in the Challenges, and if you don't, your cards just don't get much exposure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Denise, maybe your lack of concern now reflects your discerning eye for your own work. When I was in high school and through most of college, I NEEDED A's to be happy, to feel like a good person, to be validated. But in my junior year of college, I figured out how to "grade" my own papers. I knew before I handed one in what grade I would get. Suddenly, grades didn't matter anymore. Graduate school was a blast because I just didn't care about grades; I cared about learning my favorite subject in the whole world!

Now, I feel the same way about stamping. I know what's "wrong" with my cards and don't really care. If there's something that makes me happy about it (maybe even just the color combo, LOL!), I post it here. I LOVE getting comments, but I don't NEED them to make me a happy stamper, KWIM?

And to those who edit their galleries, please don't!

Sometimes we forget that lots of beginners get on SCS, and it's inspiring for them to see the growth in galleries. Only seeing top-notch work makes newbies feel intimidated and overwhelmed. When I started out, I lurked here for a long time, and it made me feel so inspired to see cards at "my" level or just a little better. I didn't feel so stupid. The overall quality of cards here has become so sophisticated in the last few years that it's easy to see how newbies now might feel they could never measure up. Hey, even I get intimidated and I've been making cards for 7 years!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not "hung up" on it, but I do check every day. I figure if people are sweet enough to leave a comment, the very least I can do is read it! Quite often I go visit the gallery of a poster, especially if they've left an insightful comment specific to something I did or maybe could have done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

It used to bother me quite a bit, especially when I would do a card, that I personally thought turned out so well, and it would get 0 or may maybe 1 comment. Now I don't let it get to me. I do a lot of challenges, but believe it or not...I actually do it for motivation. Sometimes I just get stuck for a new idea and the challenges just seem to get my mojo going.

Having said that, I do have to laugh though...I made this card Cosmo Girl a few weeks ago. It got 150 hits, 4 favs, and 1 comment. A few weeks later I did these for a challenge and got 750 hits, 11 favs and 31 comments. They even made two different people's "favs for the week". I did practically the same thing on all of the cards...go figure!

I do have to say however, I have never even thought of deleting something from my own gallery :mrgreen:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I check for comments every once in a while, but I know there are a lot of others out there who are like me and even though I may love a card, won't take the time to post a comment. I really should, but I just rarely feel like it. So lazy..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Comments or no comments doesn't matter to me. I stamp and create cards for my enjoyment and to the best of my God given ability. See my siggy line, everything we do is to give HIM glory, including stamping, mopping the floor, raising children, and how we treat others.

Having said that, this site has helped to improve my craft in so many ways, learning about new tools, making something other than an A2, creative folds, color combinations; y'all know what I'm talking about. While I don't participate in the challenges, I have recently (this year) started to participate in swaps which stretches my imagination and broadens my paradigm; swapping has become an addiction.

When I want help, when something isn't flowing and the idea in my head isn't coming through my hands, then I go to my BF. He's an artist/graphic designer and can always solve the problem. At times he'll look at me with his "What WERE you thinking look" and other times he nods and says "You got it." Does he see every card I make, NOPE! I've learned a lot from him AND from this site. His most famous piece of advice is "White space is your friend." Translated into stamping and card making you don't have to use every trick in the book on one card.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Hi All,
I was curious if many of you are still concerned over whether you get comments, since it is a very common subject on SCS. I used to be (for 2 years) and recently (in the past 3 months) have, for some reason, gotten over it! I don't know why, as it was quite important to me to get some validation. In fact, if I had a card that had zero comments, I actually deleted it from my gallery! YES! :rolleyes:

So recently, I seemed to have stopped checking (once in a while I look) for comments nor being concerned if I get any at all. I have a card in my gallery with few views and no comments and I've left it in, since I like it. It took me 2 years to get to this point. It's a nice feeling. I guess I finally got my validation .... but from myself. I'm a happy stamper! Just wish it had not taken so long.

And this from a perfectionist! I must be mellowing in my old age!

What about the rest of you??
The main reason I post my cards and scrapbook pages is so that friends and family can see them AND also so that I have a record of what I've made. That being said, I love giving comments and receiving them, but I'm not offended or upset if my cards don't receive them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfaddenView Post
. . .
When I want help, when something isn't flowing and the idea in my head isn't coming through my hands, then I go to my BF. He's an artist/graphic designer and can always solve the problem. At times he'll look at me with his "What WERE you thinking look" and other times he nods and says "You got it." Does he see every card I make, NOPE! I've learned a lot from him AND from this site. His most famous piece of advice is "White space is your friend."
That is so AWESOME!

Quote:

Translated into stamping and card making you don't have to use every trick in the book on one card.
I tend to agree with that. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't worry about comments too much anymore, but it really really bugs me if something has 20 favorites and no comments. I normally delete those just because it really pisses me off that not one of those people could take a moment and leave a comment one something that has 0, but they put in it their favorites :twisted:. Yeah, I know, I'm kinda spiteful :lol:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmilyView Post
I don't worry about comments too much anymore, but it really really bugs me if something has 20 favorites and no comments. I normally delete those just because it really pisses me off that not one of those people could take a moment and leave a comment one something that has 0, but they put in it their favorites :twisted:. Yeah, I know, I'm kinda spiteful :lol:.
LOL!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Wow, you aren't messin' around! LOL! This cracks me up!

Everybody run and save your SCEmily pics to your computer before she yanks them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm partly writing to subscribe ~ don't have the time right now to read all of the thoughtful replies, but I'm looking forward to it!

I totally agree with Happy Heart - the huge number of comments are geared to challenges. I started a thread last week 'looking for original designs' with the thought that it would direct me to non-challenge-centered galleries. It only got 20 replies which was sort of surprising to me. Happy Heart was there and WOW - she has an adorable gallery and you should see her Valentine cards!!

I think that the comments are really important for people just starting out - it amazed me at first that 50 people would even be looking at my card!! I'm not as concerned about comments as I used to be ~ the comment threads are fun and there also was a constructive comment thread which was very helpful!!

I wish we could rearrange our galleries. I guess that's what the albums are for but I could never get it to work right. Can you move photos into an album once they are already uploaded into your gallery? Maybe one day I'll sit and re-upload a bunch into albums if that's how it has to be done.

I only recently discovered the little switch to request email notification if someone posts a comment to a card, and someone also recently told me that I can go back and turn those on again. But frankly, I'm not sure anyone ventures too far past the first page of cards!!

As several of you have mentioned, there are just so many thousands of cards being uploaded ~ which is nice for all of us to see more and more styles and designs. But I think the number of comments will continue to go down for all but the challenges.

It's okay with me though - I'm grateful to have a place to record my work and feel like I'm giving back to all the others who take the time to share with me, too.

One of the best tips my upline gave me was to visit the galleries of those who visit mine. I've made some fun discoveries that way!

Yes - we all like comments, but we can't let it get to us if they aren't there! I don't even worry about favorites anymore .... Views are enough to bring a smile to my face!!

And now... thanks Denise for giving me another pool of galleries to visit. I think it's great fun to visit the galleries of anyone taking the time to discuss the galleries and comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I totally 'get' your logic here and this is just too funny LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I love comments and faves, but I don't worry about the cards that only get a few comments.

I have definitely edited my gallery over the last couple of years, but not based on comments. If I look back at it and cringe, it gets deleted, regardless of the number of comments. There are some older projects in my gallery that probably won't be there in a few months.

Krystie, I actually just decided to look back at your gallery a few days ago to see where you've come from and how far you've gone with your cardmaking, and was disappointed to see you didn't have much "old" stuff in there. I think it's so awesome to see how far people have come with their abilities and styles. Stop deleting stuff! It makes us that are still learning know that your amazing cards didn't just flow out of your right from the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

You can quickly see by number of posts I am relatively new at SCS. I find that there is soooooooooo much to read and keep up with on the MB that I only go to gallery if I am looking for a specific thing. I am so in love with this website and all that I find here. It is a one stop shop to say the least. I only wished I had time to view the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

It doesn't bother me, although my cards have all gotten comments. I stamp for the fun of it, not for validation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #37  
down and digi

It used to bother me, and I will admit that I still like the validation, but I have noticed a few things.

Chellenges get more comments.

Cards get more comments than scrapbooking, and I scrapbook.

There are certain styles that get a lot of comments. The simple ones will get comments if they are truly amazing, but most of the simple ones don't get them. So, if simple is your style (and it is mine), there won't be as many.

So, that doesn't mean they aren't great. It just doesn't appeal to the people who happen to be looking in the gallery.

I have also edited my gallery to delete older uploads that I now feel are hideous - you know the ones I mean;)

One more thought - I have started to look at certain galleries and not only the recent uploads. I find the site has gotten quite large and I like certain galleries. I often don't even favorite now because I know whose gallery I want to visit for particular kinds of inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Comments are lovely and I enjoy seeing comments on cards I've put in my gallery ... that said, I can understand NOT getting comments. There is SO much out there ... and it's hard to comment on everything.

I often see gorgeous cards that have NO comments! It suprises me but then I remember how many new cards are posted each day ... and sometimes a LOT at one time. So it's not that the card isn't fantastic ... it just kinda got lost in the shuffle or maybe it was posted at a "slow" time when not too many people were on, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, don't care. Don't get the emails and check about 2 x a year. This is a huge sea change for me.

My cards already get lots of comments -- from all the people inside my head!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think everyone likes comments (It IS nice to be validated~) but comments depend on sooo much--

Time of day you upload
If it is a challenge card (they get more from fellow challengers and that is great)
The quality of the photo (there are lots of awesome cards but the photos might not showcase them well!)
Number of uploads per day (I think I heard it was over 1000!)
If you comment on other's cards....

A year ago, I would have been sad if a card didn't get many comments but not anymore. I KNOW there is tons of stuff out there and I don't have the time to comment as often as I would like and I know that is the case with many other people. I miss so many gorgeous creations each day...

If someone likes something I make, I am delighted....If they comment---that is awesome....if they favorite it--I know that it was liked enough to be cased.

Just making the cards is fun enough..comments are just icing on the cake!
Reply With Quote Likes