Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2004, 04:01 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petal Point Chalk Pads

I'm getting ready to place an order and can't decide if I should get the Petal Point Chalk Pads. I'm not really sure what they are or the "look" they have when stamped. I've seen some cards done on splitcoast that look neat , but I can't see much detail when I'm not viewing the actual cards in person.

So my question is "would you recommend them? " and how do they differ from the "craft" pads or embossing pads? Are they similiar to the old petal point embossing pads that we used to carry? and can you even emboss with the Petal Point Chalk Pads? Since it says "chalk Pads" does it have a chalky look to it?

I know, I know....I have a lot of questions.....but I really have no clue what these pads are! PLEASE HELP!!! :?

Thanks so much for your opinions!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:13 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look like the pigment inks but dry like the dye base inks, instantly. They are NOT opaque over dark colored papers like chalk would be. The point of each color allows you to ink small spaces. I just did a workshop (10 guests) with them and they seem to have survived not being reinked.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:29 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

The Colorbox Fluid Chalk pads were my very first inkpads when I started stamping just over a year ago. I have all the Cats Eyes. They are WONDERFUL! They provide better coverage than regular dye ink, in my opinion. So much so that when I was on another message board, and I had tried some Memories brand pads, I thought the Memories brand pads were defective! Turns out the Memories pads are similar (but not as good!) as our SU Classic pads. The chalk ink is just different. I LOVE being about to use the points (on the cats eyes of Petal Points) to ink up different parts of a stamp.

I do feel that the chalk inks are more opaque. When you use a shadow stamp (solid circle, square, etc), the stamped image is much more uniform than with dye ink.

Just my opinion - even though I own ALL the chalk cats eyes, I bought one set of the SU chalk pads so I can demo them.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:31 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,036 Likes on 476 Posts

I love mine, I got the Subtles set, and used it to stamp on fabric as well as cardstock already! I love that you can layer the images, and you can still see them.
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:52 AM   #5  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NavyWyf-how did you stamp on fabric (did you heat set, pre-treat, etc.). Did you put any pics in the gallery?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 05:07 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked out Cami's & Julie's cards in the gallery? Their cards stick out front & center as great examples of what you can do with them:

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/Cambria - her pumpkins! ohmigosh!
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/JulieHRR - the circles are my favorite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 05:23 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,036 Likes on 476 Posts

Britta-

At our church, for Pastor Appreciation month, someone came up with the idea of making quilts for all four of the Pastor/Associate Pastors. We were asked to participate, and given four blocks to "quilt" and another lady would sew them together. I said no at first, I don't have a clue how to quilt, but she told me I could stamp on it! I practiced on some other things, and used Mini Mates and Say It W/Scriptures, the first three blocks came out perfectly, and SO pretty with the chalk pads! The last one, though, I had a small error stamping and couldn't fix it. It was crooked!! I washed and washed and washed the piece, the color didn't want to come out. I scrubbed several times with some heavy detergent, making most of it come out. I was able to incorporate the parts that didn't come out with the background so you couldn't tell, but I was SO scared at first because I only got four squares to work with!!! I ironed the material after washing it, but it didn't look any different than the first three squares that didn't get wet at all. So, Lessons Learned:

1) Careful with that Dye Ink, it dries quick and is HARD to get out, even wet

2) It looks GREAT on fabric. When I was experimenting, my first try was to use some good Pigment Ink Pens and colored on the stamps, but coverage was spotty. With the Colorbox, I got complete coverage of the stamp on the fabric, nothing spotty at all.

3) When practicing, best results were using a Paper Towel to stamp on. The look on the paper towel was the exact same as it looked on the fabric, so I could see how it would look on the square.

I didn't pre-treat or heat set because it didn't occur to me - Duh! I guess that would have been smart. But, truthfully, after that last square and trying to get the image out, I don't think I would have needed to. I did make a note that washing one first and then ironing it didn't make a difference in the appearance afterward, it was exactly like the others. I didn't take any pictures "before," but after the quilts are all sewn together I plan to take a picture of the whole quilt, and then a closer pic of what I stamped. I'll post it in the gallery, it will be next month, though! Hope this helps - learn from my mistakes!!

Debbi
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes