Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default score it vs. score pal vs. the purple one the enveloper?? please help!!

I would like get some opinions on the differnences between all these score boards !! :confused: I have yet to purchase one and would likt to so please help thanks kat.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have the Scor-pal and like using it. I like that there is a place to put the tool so that it won't get lost. I haven't used any of the other products so I can't give you a personal comparison. The enveloper has always looked interesting but I have templates that I use for envelopes that are quick and easy so I decided on the Scor-pal. If there is a negative to this unit, it is that making unusual scores are a challenge -- like so many sixteenths. After reading a lot of posts on the different scoring products, I think they all work just fine. It all boils down to which one would fit the best in your particular work space. The Scor-pal is large so you can do 12x12 paper but it's not very thick so it slips easily on my book shelf.

Makaren
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't scrap, just make cards - I got the score it mini and it works great.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the Score-Pal and the purple ones (both). I much more prefer the Score-Pal with out a doubt. Certainly worth the $$. Uses ruler measurements where the purple ones you have to use their system to score the project. (Purple ones are based on UK measurements.) The purple one also doesn't score a true A2 envelope. It turns out a bit larger than needed.

I do use both, but Score-Pal every day for every envelope and card fold.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing as I have been curious about this too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

I was on the fence about this too...Soooooo I jumped off and went for the Mini Scor-it yesterday. Got it at the Enchanted Cottage in Lewisville, North Carolina...I absolutely love that place. I love the mini because it is small & portable so I can carry it to crops and retreats without taking up so much room. It fits perfectly in my carry tote. With the Ott-lite, cutters, dies and all the other tools we collect it's getting to be quite a deal to load up and go out to crops. I have started just taking a project and not taking everything I own. Blessings on your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Score-It and live it. You can check out my video review here.

http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=127

I also have the Enveloper. It is really easy to use. Check it out here.

http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=238

The Top score is more for decorative scoring. And I haven't seen the ScorPal in action.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have the Scor-It! I am totally in love with it and I can always find new things to make. I find it easier than the Scor-Pal in that you can score wherever you like instead of just certain grooves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
...the purple ones you have to use their system to score the project. (Purple ones are based on UK measurements.) The purple one also doesn't score a true A2 envelope. It turns out a bit larger than needed.
The score lines on the purple ones I have are made for US letter and (true) 12x12 sized papers. I use mine regularly to score my invite-sized cards made from US letter-sized cardstock.

I can get a true A2 envelope scored on the Enveloper by using a sheet of 8x8 inch paper instead of the 8 and a quarter inch square dimension indicated in the instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

What are the "purple ones"? Who makes them? I too am curious about the differences and options. TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Not sure who makes the "purple ones" but I got mine on HSN...and I loved it until I bought the Scor-Pal to compare!! SP has "real" measurments and a 12x12 can fit on the board!

I really love my Scor-Pal!!

~~~Look what I've been up to lately~~~ My Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I have a scor it and the purple boards. Both were gifts and I have no idea as far as price comparison. I use them all for different things. I probably use the enveloper and the scor it the most, I have played with the enveloper a bit and added to their chart on sizes of paper and such for other card dimentions they dont have listed. I probably dont use my top scor board as much just because i find it easier to use a ruler(the top of scor it) instead of looking for their labels and then if the labels are above the correct line or below it.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

The 'Purple ones' are by Crafter's Companion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I am very frustrated with the Ultimate Crafter's Companion.

First, I don't believe their ruler is correct for the cutting board. A piece of 12x12 paper does not fit easily into it. I finally went and got a Fiskars paper cutter and its amazing how much better my card pieces line up.

I paid a lot of money for the darn thing and I have no idea what size cards she was making in the demo, but I have yet to be able to get an envelope to fit any card size I try. I have even resorted to purchasing premade blank cards to try and make an envelope for them out of cardstock. No luck. The envelope is always too small.

Also, the instructions state that for an 8x8 card envelope you need to start with a 12 1.4 square paper. Last I checked the biggest paper I can buy in scrapbooking is a 12x12. If anyone has scoring measurement to make an envelope for either a 6x6 or 8x8 - I would very much appreciate learning what they are.

I haven't tried the score pal, but it looks a bit simpler.

I am ready to put this purple monster up on Ebay to try and recoup some of the damage. Huge waste of money.

I recently saw a demo for the Kreate a Lope Envelope Template. I don't see one for 6x6 cards - but for regular note or greeting cards, this looks pretty easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoezerkatView Post
I would like get some opinions on the differnences between all these score boards !! :confused: I have yet to purchase one and would likt to so please help thanks kat.....

http://ucutathome.com/blog/2010/05/2...-tools-review/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the purple boards and the scor pal but what I love and now use all the time is Martha Stewart's Score Board. I love that there are lines every 1/8". It comes with some kind of envelope maker but I haven't used it. Until I got the MS board I liked the scor pal way better than the purple boards -- both are pricer too! MS is just $20. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both the Crafters Companion (purple one) both for cards and the envelopes and absolutely hate it. It was my first purchase of a score board. When making a gate-fold card the sides never line up correctly and if you watch her videos and even says in 1 of then that gate-fold cards are not suppose to line up perfectly which is crap. I have had zero problems making envelopes with it though, but rarely ever pull these boards out... They really are terrible, I purchased mine thru HSN with US markings. It does truly limit the size of cards you can make. I don't think I would recommend this set to anyone even people I dis-like and that is saying quite a bit.

I purchased the Scor-Pal about 6 months ago and absolutely LOVE it. It actually never moves from the center of my work station because I have the Scor-Mat to fit inside and then I have the Ranger Non-stick craft Mat on top of it so I can emboss and use my heat tool directly on top of the Scor-Pal as long as the ranger Mat is totally covering the board- or else the Scor-Pal will melt. I love the marking and have no problems finding odd 1/16 marks using the left side of the board. The groves give perfect score marks even with the heaviest paper weigh (including Gina K Pure Luxury #120)- the heavier the paper- you need to score the paper about 3 times to get a perfect non-crack fold. The Scor-Pal is really worth every penny and then some but I also recommend the Scor-Mat and Scor-Tape. From the day I received this score board it has never been moved from front and center of my work space- I use it on every card I make. How did I ever make cards without it,LOL? There are also hundred+ tutorials on the Scor-Pal website at no cost to use and enjoy. I actually downloaded every one of them.

I have never tried the Scor-It but to me it is more for making center lines and not for making lots of score lines like when making a box or decorative item. I have heard complaints on the Scor-It on this forum when I was making my decision on the Scor-Pal or the Scor-It but the ones that have and love the Scor-It swear by it as much as I swear by the Scor-Pal.) It was the wonderful and helpful ones on this site that helped me make my choice to not buy the Scor-It. Also over at StampTV (Gina K Designs) you can find a few videos using the Scor-Pal also.

Now the MS Score Board with 1/8 marking seems to be a current favorite by alot of crafters but I have seen quite a few complaints also. The lines are so close together that the score tool jumps score line grooves very easily. The lines and the tool provided seem to cause some problems so alot of people use their own stylus instead. It does seem to come with a triangle piece made to help make evelopes for the cards you make (I don't know gow good this tool is- have never tried it). It is the cheapest Score board available as long as you have a coupon when you purchase it.

Good luck with your choice!!
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SAVE MONEY!!! Find a coupon and buy the MS Score Tool- it works just as well as all the others and for a LOT less!

I have- and LOVE- "the purple ones" and they work great for me- but I got them long before the MS board was available. Got the MS board for a gift and now use the purples only for envelopes- they are fabulous for that!- or when I am carrying to a crop- the purples are smaller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I have the score-pal and love it, very sturdy and makes great scores. Having said that I also have the MS scoring board bought with a coupon at M's for $12 and LOVE the extra measurements. I hated doing the "math" with the score-pal so that was an instant plus for me. It comes with the envelope maker that slides into a special place on the back of the board for easy storage and I like that the score tool has it's own little hinged space with measurements on the lid. All in all, I feel like the score-pal will last a lifetime (maybe a stretch) but is a little more spendy I think I paid around $36. With it the pesky math business. MS is cheap and I am loving those markings,but I don't love the score tool included with the board. I find I almost always reach for the MS. Using SP only for even measurements.
HTH
Kathy T in SW IN
Reply With Quote Likes