Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some printable websites where I can print off stamping images.

Does anyone know of any websites where I can print off images, rather than buying the stamps. Sometimes I am looking for just 1 image for a certain occasion but don't really need the stamp. Because I only need it to use for 1 time.

I know high hopes is one website.Where you can print them off. but not sure of any others. can you pm me with them. thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Um....printing the image isn't paying the artist.

I can't say I have ever heard of a website that allows you to print individual stamp images (maybe I live in a hole!).

Clip art comes on most computers, maybe you will find something there.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should look into swapping images with people; there is an image RAK forum that allows you to say what you're looking for and what you have to offer. Images offered on rubber stamping websites aren't supposed to be printed off, as Kathy said. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find lots of free clip-art online if you put "free clip-art" into Google.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

There are some great clip art collections available either in digital form or hard copy. If going for digital, go for vector which can be resized without any pixelation. These images are royalty free so you don't need to worry about copyright. Dover books is one good source.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I second JanTink, swapping images is a wonderful way to play with an image. You can also post an ISO (In Search Of) for a particular image
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

There is also a PIF thread where you ca snag images and post your list so someone can snag from you. It's a GREAT way to get only the images you want and don't have to buy the stamps until you can afford them. There are all kinds of brands. Check it out! Everyone's invited!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm really not too sure about swapping images either. The artist/company is still not getting paid for that extra person receiving, which in a way drives prices up due to the lack of sale. I know it might seem like a fine line... If it was my income, I'd want paid. Fair is fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know about stamp images but there are many clip art artists out there who have free printables for scrapbooking on there websites. I don't have the links to any on my favs right now but I have done google searches for them in the past. Just type in "Free Scrappbooking Printables" and see what comes up.
I print mine at the highest print quality on glossy photo paper, trim them neatly and they look just like a sticker or punch punch out graphic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mztamelaView Post
I'm really not too sure about swapping images either. The artist/company is still not getting paid for that extra person receiving, which in a way drives prices up due to the lack of sale. I know it might seem like a fine line... If it was my income, I'd want paid. Fair is fair.
My mom and I get together and have stamp swaps. I "mass" stamp what ones I want to use on plain paper for colouring or plain use later. Most of the stamps we swap are dicontinued ones that you just can't get any more otherwise I would buy them. My mom has been collection a lot longer than I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62View Post
Does anyone know of any websites where I can print off images, rather than buying the stamps. Sometimes I am looking for just 1 image for a certain occasion but don't really need the stamp. Because I only need it to use for 1 time.

I know high hopes is one website.Where you can print them off. but not sure of any others. can you pm me with them. thanks.
With intellectual property theft and copyright infringement on the rise, I think most companies are, understandably, taking even greater pains to protect it.

Most companies do not permit this type of mechanical reproduction or use of their images; it would be a violation of their copyrights/copyright law, and hurts the artist that created the image, as well as the company that works with them to produce it into a rubber stamp.

As others have suggested, I would recommend the Wish RAK forum for a few hand-stamped images.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I don't think swapping images is anything like printing images...people do this all the time. There is even a forum here just for "swapping", as there is at just about every other stamping site. Just my two cents :p ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the image rak forum here and have purchased several sets and single images because after receiving them I loved them and thought of many different ways I could use them. Sometimes you just need to see how an image looks stamped before making the decision to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
I love the image rak forum here and have purchased several sets and single images because after receiving them I loved them and thought of many different ways I could use them. Sometimes you just need to see how an image looks stamped before making the decision to buy.
nsruss, I think you make a good point here and I'm glad that you shared it here. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
Yep, I totally agree!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

As the owner of High Hopes Rubber Stamps, I ask that you do not take images off our website to use. That is stealing and against our copyright which clearly says that mechanical reproduction of our images is prohibited. Here is a link to our policy. http://www.highhopesstamps.com/policies.htm It clearly states that NO PART of our site should be downloaded, printed or reproduced in any way. We are an Angel Company and we LOVE our customers who HAND STAMP our images on craft items to resell. We also think that image swaps where the images are hand stamped are a great way to share and advertise. We are a new company, just getting off the ground, and practices such as stealing images really hurts our chance to compete in a highly competitive market.
From paying my artist for the images, to paying to have those images etched in metal, then put on a matrix board and processed into rubber...and then paying my computer programmer to update the website with the new images, and getting those new images into my extremely talented design teams hands, there is quite an investment in all of our designs. Some 8x9 inch plates cost well over $1000.00 to develop. That investment is foolish if people do not buy our stamps. Like Crissy's analogy, if a person owned a grocery store and people walked in and took all they wanted without paying, it would not make sense for that grocer to re-stock the store.
There are many sites with colorbook images of popular characters, and clip art pages for free clip art that you are welcome to use for your copy and clip art. I was also told by my lawyer that books that were printed before 1940's (or so) are not covered by copyright laws, so perhaps you can find some of those to get unique images from. Just please double check my information, as maybe the date was before the 1920's, and I would not want to mis advise anyone. I don't remember the date exactly as I did not care at the time because I wanted to develop all new unique art, not recycle someone else's older images.
Please know you were misinformed if you were told that High Hopes Stamps website allowed the taking of images from our site electronically and reproducing them was a legal act. I believe our policy is ACROSS THE BOARD in standing with all other stamp companies...NO ELECTRONICAL REPRODUCTIONS.....only hand stamped...and that is IF they are an Angel Company.
If there is an image you are interested in, but not sure if you want to invest in that image to be in your permanent collection, please go to the Image Rak Forum and request it. Its our hope that you have so much fun with that image, that you cannot live without it...and have to buy a stamp of your own!! :-) Happy Stamping!!~ Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #16  
Stamping is a Hoot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62View Post

If you only need to use a stamp one time and you can't get that image by an image swap then you need to buy that stamp. It is as simple as yet! I am sure if you did purchase that stamp you would find other reasons to use it .... otherwise I guess you could always sell it secondhand.

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:23 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I love image swaps. That is a great way to get images to try out

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #18  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-TinkView Post
As the owner of High Hopes Rubber Stamps, I ask that you do not take images off our website to use. That is stealing and against our copyright which clearly says that mechanical reproduction of our images is prohibited. Here is a link to our policy. http://www.highhopesstamps.com/policies.htm It clearly states that NO PART of our site should be downloaded, printed or reproduced in any way. We are an Angel Company and we LOVE our customers who HAND STAMP our images on craft items to resell. We also think that image swaps where the images are hand stamped are a great way to share and advertise. We are a new company, just getting off the ground, and practices such as stealing images really hurts our chance to compete in a highly competitive market.
From paying my artist for the images, to paying to have those images etched in metal, then put on a matrix board and processed into rubber...and then paying my computer programmer to update the website with the new images, and getting those new images into my extremely talented design teams hands, there is quite an investment in all of our designs. Some 8x9 inch plates cost well over $1000.00 to develop. That investment is foolish if people do not buy our stamps. Like Crissy's analogy, if a person owned a grocery store and people walked in and took all they wanted without paying, it would not make sense for that grocer to re-stock the store.
There are many sites with colorbook images of popular characters, and clip art pages for free clip art that you are welcome to use for your copy and clip art. I was also told by my lawyer that books that were printed before 1940's (or so) are not covered by copyright laws, so perhaps you can find some of those to get unique images from. Just please double check my information, as maybe the date was before the 1920's, and I would not want to mis advise anyone. I don't remember the date exactly as I did not care at the time because I wanted to develop all new unique art, not recycle someone else's older images.
Please know you were misinformed if you were told that High Hopes Stamps website allowed the taking of images from our site electronically and reproducing them was a legal act. I believe our policy is ACROSS THE BOARD in standing with all other stamp companies...NO ELECTRONICAL REPRODUCTIONS.....only hand stamped...and that is IF they are an Angel Company.
If there is an image you are interested in, but not sure if you want to invest in that image to be in your permanent collection, please go to the Image Rak Forum and request it. Its our hope that you have so much fun with that image, that you cannot live without it...and have to buy a stamp of your own!! :-) Happy Stamping!!~ Tina
I'm so glad that you came on here to clarify that to the masses, because I knew that that could in NO WAY be true!!! I'm not as familiar with your company, but that would be an insane policy for a stamp company to have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

If I post a wish for an image in the WRAK forum, and haven't received the image in time for a project I'm working on, I either make due with the stamps I already own, or go ahead and purchase the stamp. I love having so many companies to choose from when spending my crafting dollars, and stealing images from a company, thus greatly minimizing their profit, is detrimental to everyone--the company, and to all stampers---in the long run.

Last edited by 4Hounds; 02-20-2008 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

High Hopes Stamps are adorable!!! Thanks for the post I had not seen your stamps before. They are too cute! Boy I could get in trouble with your stamps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the informative info all you ladies. Someone told me about high hopes a while back.

khux thanks I'll type in free scrapbooking printables and see what comes up. I'll try that .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Swapping images is just like borrowing the stamps themselves. SOMEONE purchased the stamp to begin with... so it should be ok!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I think swapping images is more copyright infringement than posting pics of catalogs and products, which SCS does not allow. Which is why the wish Rak thing has always confused me.

You can't prevent the original artist from making a profit and you yourself can't profit from someone else's work.

Seems wish rak does both, the person you're sending to does not have to purchase the stamp (preventing the company from making a profit) and you get stamped images in return (that would be seen as you're profit).

Posting pics of a catty is just a small piece of the copyrighted material (the amount reporduced is also a factor) and not only does it not keep people from buying, it usually encourages more of it.

Borrowing a stamp set is also different than an organized group whose sole purpose is to swap.

Swapping copyrighted material so other people didn't have to spend the money is just what people were doing on Napster and we all know how THAT turned out LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
I think swapping images is more copyright infringement than posting pics of catalogs and products, which SCS does not allow. Which is why the wish Rak thing has always confused me.

You can't prevent the original artist from making a profit and you yourself can't profit from someone else's work.

Seems wish rak does both, the person you're sending to does not have to purchase the stamp (preventing the company from making a profit) and you get stamped images in return (that would be seen as you're profit).

Posting pics of a catty is just a small piece of the copyrighted material (the amount reporduced is also a factor) and not only does it not keep people from buying, it usually encourages more of it.

Borrowing a stamp set is also different than an organized group whose sole purpose is to swap.

Swapping copyrighted material so other people didn't have to spend the money is just what people were doing on Napster and we all know how THAT turned out LOL
But WRAK image swaps are limited to hand stamped quantities- only as many as the person who has that stamp can do. Which is allowed by the companies. It's not the same as napster- I would say it's the same as if you had a website that PLAYED the song, but the person couldn't put it on their MP3- and that's allowed too. The person who got the image in a swap, only has the number they were given, they can't make anymore.

If you scanned the image someone could print off an unlimited number of images by an unlimited number of people. That's why companies don't allow there catalogs to be scanned and posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You are SO not alone in this feeling, lol! I've felt that way for years and so have never participated in this kind of thing. It just doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
But WRAK image swaps are limited to hand stamped quantities- only as many as the person who has that stamp can do. Which is allowed by the companies. It's not the same as napster- I would say it's the same as if you had a website that PLAYED the song, but the person couldn't put it on their MP3- and that's allowed too. The person who got the image in a swap, only has the number they were given, they can't make anymore.

If you scanned the image someone could print off an unlimited number of images by an unlimited number of people. That's why companies don't allow there catalogs to be scanned and posted.
Songs and stamps are both equally copyrighted. Actually there have been people who have been contacted and told to remove a song from their You Tube videos. Some woman had it playing in the BACKGROUND and was told to take it down. Now that one was a little extreme but I wouldn't be able to reproduce a magazine article or book either.

Companies grant limited license to reproduce, they often include some term about personal use. I don't think catalogs would qualify as a violation b/c far from preventing a company from making a profit, it probably actually helps. Having a website or forum set up for the sole purpose of keeping people from having to buy an item is a violation. Whether or not a company wants to require that it be stopped, etc. is up to them. Some choose to ignore it and it also has to be worth the trouble for them to stop it, but they do have every right to.

I couldn't set up a forum where I made copies of other copyrighted material for others to use/try and not have to buy. Would it be worth it for the company to come after me if I just stamped some images or copied a CD for my mom, no but if it was on a much larger scale, it might be different.

The recording industry and Disney are well know for how little they tolerate and how aggressively they go after people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

So, is a Library bad? Can I not borrow & read a friends book? If I love it, I might buy it after I've returned it, but maybe not...

Frankly, if it hadn't been for the images I've gotten thru WishRAK, I wouldn't have purchased both from Stampin Bella or High Hopes & if it hadn't been for stamp camps ~ I would never have gotten into SU & spent way too much money.

Why is a image swap different from a card swap ~ you're still giving the image to someone else ~ heck maybe we need to pay a fee to the artist if we send a set of cards for someone else to use as they see fit?!? That person didn't buy the stamp. Maybe image swaps should just be called unfinished cards swap???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2View Post
So, is a Library bad? Can I not borrow & read a friends book? If I love it, I might buy it after I've returned it, but maybe not...

Frankly, if it hadn't been for the images I've gotten thru WishRAK, I wouldn't have purchased both from Stampin Bella or High Hopes & if it hadn't been for stamp camps ~ I would never have gotten into SU & spent way too much money.

Why is a image swap different from a card swap ~ you're still giving the image to someone else ~ heck maybe we need to pay a fee to the artist if we send a set of cards for someone else to use as they see fit?!? That person didn't buy the stamp. Maybe image swaps should just be called unfinished cards swap???
Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't make the law.

A library is different, the library is not making a new book for you to have your own copy so you won't have to buy the book. It's loaning you something.

A card swap is giving something that you personally created, not just stamped images. Copyright law isn't one of those things that's black and white.

with wish rak you are reproducing a copyrighted image for someone so they will not have to purchase the copyrighted work themselves.

It is what it is and as I said, companies look at these things and decide whether or not it's worth stopping. Stamping companies may feel it's not worth the money they would have to spend to stop it or they may feel it benefits them in the long run not to enforce the copyright violations. With some people, like you, they end up getting the stamps because they fell in love with them. So maybe they like the idea of Wish Rak but ultimately it's their call.

But just because a company doesn't choose to enforce something doesn't mean it's not a (potential) violation.

If anyone is interested you can read more about it here: http://www.copyright.gov/

and a good explanation of Fair Use is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use and it discusses the use of the work acting as a market replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's been interesting to watch the battle over intellectual property rights develop as the internet has grown exponentially. In the early nineties, when the "information superhighway" was just coming into being for regular people, there were already heated debates.

Now, unfortunately, I think the battle is for all intents and purposes lost. I know this isn't the Current Events forum, but when we even have presidential candidates violating intellectual property rights (song lyrics), I think we can say that there simply is no widespread understanding of copyright. It's very sad. People honestly cannot comprehend how it works, and I can't imagine this becoming an educational priority. It will be fascinating to see how it affects the creation and distribution of art and information in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
It's been interesting to watch the battle over intellectual property rights develop as the internet has grown exponentially. In the early nineties, when the "information superhighway" was just coming into being for regular people, there were already heated debates.

Now, unfortunately, I think the battle is for all intents and purposes lost. I know this isn't the Current Events forum, but when we even have presidential candidates violating intellectual property rights (song lyrics), I think we can say that there simply is no widespread understanding of copyright. It's very sad. People honestly cannot comprehend how it works, and I can't imagine this becoming an educational priority. It will be fascinating to see how it affects the creation and distribution of art and information in the future.
Agreed. I find "If it's on the web, it's fair game" to be such an egregious statement. . . I deplore the implication; sad testimony to lack of ethics nowadays . . . :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post

The battle is not completely lost. Since I started taking classes several years ago to advance my nursing degree Plagiarism laws have been pounded into us.
Which they should be. They have even developed ways (companies that will scan papers) to find citations that have been missed. Not to mention the number of students kicked out of college for this. Don't believe the battle is over.

To the original poster, there are also copyright free books of art. I've purchased some from 1/2price book stores. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Agreed. I find "If it's on the web, it's fair game" to be such an egregious statement. . . I deplore the implication; sad testimony to lack of ethics nowadays . . . :(
Very well stated, Julie! I agree whole-heartedly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-TinkView Post
Hello Tina.... Your images are adorable. And the enlarged photos of your stamps are very hi-res which makes them easy to copy off and print. I would suggest putting a large "High Hopes" watermark across the images similar to how Emily does her Stamping Bella images and Nichole her PTI sets. Without the watermark, your site is very vulnerable to having your cute images "lifted" for downloading and printing.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, very interesting thread. A lot of very good points have been made!
As a Wish RAK mod I have to open my big mouth and give my 2 cents
To me wish RAK is like a drug. You get a sampling and need more! I can't tell you how many sets I have purchased because of Wish RAK. ( I hope that analogy didn't offend anyone ) When you recieve a wish you only get a handful of images (with the cost of postage being so high most people only send what can fit in a standard envelope bearing one stamp. This turns out to be approximately 6 to 8 quarter sheets, so you aren't exactly getting a lifetime supply. Also, you are getting not the "perks" you would if you owned a stamp your self...the abilty to use any color you want, layer the image or use it with other sets. Getting an image is more like a primer, it helps you to know if a certain set will work with your style and with what you already have. Wishes are a great way to get images of that long retired set you wish you purchased with out paying ebay prices to get it. (oooh how I wish I bought Fairyland!!, lol)
One more point I'd like to make is that you get 3 "free" wishes. After that you have to earn wishes by granting other peoples wishes. Many these ladies own a lot of stamps already to be able to grant so many wishes. Money is still being spent (Just ask my DH, rotfl)

Last edited by Pink-fish; 02-20-2008 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink-fishView Post
Wow, very interesting thread. A lot of very good points have been made!
As a Wish RAK mod I have to open my big mouth and give my 2 cents
To me wish RAK is like a drug. You get a sampling and need more! I can't tell you how many sets I have purchased because of Wish RAK. ( I hope that analogy didn't offend anyone ) When you recieve a wish you only get a handful of images (with the cost of postage being so high most people only send what can fit in a standard envelope bearing one stamp. This turns out to be approximately 6 to 8 quarter sheets, so you aren't exactly getting a lifetime supply. Also, you are getting not the "perks" you would if you owned a stamp your self...the abilty to use any color you want, layer the image or use it with other sets. Getting an image is more like a primer, it helps you to know if a certain set will work with your style and with what you already have. Wishes are a great way to get images of that long retired set you wish you purchased with out paying ebay prices to get it. (oooh how I wish I bought Fairyland!!, lol)
One more point I'd like to make is that you get 3 "free" wishes. After that you have to earn wishes by granting other peoples wishes. Many these ladies own a lot of stamps already to be able to grant so many wishes. Money is still being spent (Just ask my DH, rotfl)
I, too, have bought many stamp sets after having received a sampling of the sets through the WishRAK forum. Stampin UP! is probably pretty happy about that;) Without those samples, which contained only 6-8 stamped images, I wouldn't have purchased the sets.

<----Gabriel...15 months old May 1, 2011. He loves being outdoors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question.....

When will we see a thread about all the money these companies made from people buying their products just because someone out of the kindness of their heart was nice enough to send them a stamped image of a stamp that others did not know was out there?

I know that I spent hundreds of dollars on stamps and accesories that someone sent to me that I never heard about or seen that I just had to have! To me, that is a good way to get your products out there for people to see and buy. Free adverstising? Word of mouth?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

No intention on shooting the messenger, but I guess I'm one of those hard headed people, 'cause again I really don't see the difference between a stamp camp & a image swap. And as far as I know even SU promotes stamp camps. SU has not guarantee that anyone is going to buy anything at the Stamp Camp ~ but I mean come on ~ at least 75% of the people I've see always end up putting in a huge order ~ just to get what they've 'sampled' at the Stamp Camp. Like a image swap ~ at a Stamp Camp you are able to use what ever stamp the (usually ~ demo) hostess has to make whatever you want upto a limited amount ~ you are not obligated to 'buy' anything else (besides the fee to get in) ~ And therefore the original stamp company is not making anymore money ~ unless unbeknownst to me, the hostess sends a portion of the fee to each company she has represented... Frankly with a image swap at least the recipient has to use stuff they have to make the card or whatever...

I'm pretty sure that's all I'm going to say & well, I've probably said too much, but it's my 'feelings' on the matter & in no way will ever hold up in a court of law ~ & no, like 'tax law'(for anyone unfortunate enough to have studied it college~ you'll understand) I have no interest in delving into the grey areas of copyright law. ;)

Quote:

Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't make the law.

A library is different, the library is not making a new book for you to have your own copy so you won't have to buy the book. It's loaning you something.

A card swap is giving something that you personally created, not just stamped images. Copyright law isn't one of those things that's black and white.

with wish rak you are reproducing a copyrighted image for someone so they will not have to purchase the copyrighted work themselves.

It is what it is and as I said, companies look at these things and decide whether or not it's worth stopping. Stamping companies may feel it's not worth the money they would have to spend to stop it or they may feel it benefits them in the long run not to enforce the copyright violations. With some people, like you, they end up getting the stamps because they fell in love with them. So maybe they like the idea of Wish Rak but ultimately it's their call.

But just because a company doesn't choose to enforce something doesn't mean it's not a (potential) violation.

If anyone is interested you can read more about it here: http://www.copyright.gov/

and a good explanation of Fair Use is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use and it discusses the use of the work acting as a market replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not sure that using an SU! stamp camp is a fair comparison, because as a home show/demonstration kind of company, they relish customers being able to see the products and touch them.

(and, I know I am sheltered, but all of the stamp camps that I have attended or helped with have included purchasing some subset of the product used that day)

Now, sitting here thinking, I do see a stamp-a-stack type of activity (although, with SU!, there is a very fine GRAY line, because this is getting the product into the customers' hands!) the same kind of violation as copying an image off the web. Hmmm.

Maybe I should tell one of my kids to study copyright law...I'm sure there will be jobs available!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Songs and stamps are both equally copyrighted. Actually there have been people who have been contacted and told to remove a song from their You Tube videos. Some woman had it playing in the BACKGROUND and was told to take it down. Now that one was a little extreme but I wouldn't be able to reproduce a magazine article or book either.

Companies grant limited license to reproduce, they often include some term about personal use. I don't think catalogs would qualify as a violation b/c far from preventing a company from making a profit, it probably actually helps. Having a website or forum set up for the sole purpose of keeping people from having to buy an item is a violation. Whether or not a company wants to require that it be stopped, etc. is up to them. Some choose to ignore it and it also has to be worth the trouble for them to stop it, but they do have every right to.

The recording industry and Disney are well know for how little they tolerate and how aggressively they go after people.
A poor example then- rather than a website which had a song in the background, how about a party in your home where you played a CD. 50 people hear the song without paying for it- they all go home and sing it in their head, but they can't replay the original. That's what I think image swapping is like because the recipient can't create more, since they don't have the original stamp. If they want more they'll have to buy the stamp.

Now if someone set up a stamping machine to stamp off their image swaps, it would be a violation- because almost all companies say they must be hand stamped.

Otherwise, how is this different than sending a CARD to someone- it has the image on it, they can take it off and use it again. (And I know plenty of people who salvage sent cards for pieces to reuse).

Quote:

I couldn't set up a forum where I made copies of other copyrighted material for others to use/try and not have to buy. Would it be worth it for the company to come after me if I just stamped some images or copied a CD for my mom, no but if it was on a much larger scale, it might be different.
But you aren't making copies of the copyrighted material- a copy would be a rubber stamp that another person could use. You have a license to hand stamp the image and then do what you want with it. Sending an image, to me is the same as sending a card. Both required me to put the stamp onto paper, and both get sent to someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

As a Mod in Wish-RAK, I feel a need to post my two cents too...

Yes, at Wish-RAK we share stamped images on quarter sheets ((one wish is usually 6 to 8 quarter sheets in an invite sized envelope)). I have been involved with Wish-RAK ((formerly Image-RAK)) since its conception here at SCS.

Without getting into alot of detail, we do keep a Master List of the members wishes and who has sent these wishes. We also ask members to 'close' these wishes when they've received enough stamped images.

I personally think it is very interesting to see, when they 'close' the wish, just how many will state.....I couldn't resist and have purchased this stamp....or stamp set....after seeing the images.....in their post. I also find it interesting that many who just close their wish and not state anything more....we find, they indeed purchased the stamp or stamp set and have gone on and shared those stamped wishes with others. It becomes a chain reaction, the more exposure the stamped image receives, the higher the chances are the stamp is actually purchased.

I also believe Wish-RAK ((for me anyway)) has been an excellent means of a 'marketing' tool for stamp companies. Without Wish-RAK, I would not have been exposed to some of the stamps out there. I would not have fallin in love with a stamp....and the need to have it!! This also aids in my decision....do I need it, will it work for me, I wonder what it really looks like when stamped.....just like going into a store and actually 'seeing' the product in hand.

Now, on the flip side, I have also used Wish-RAK and found.....that particular stamped image really wasn't my cup of tea.....and therefore, have not purchased that particular stamp or stamp set. Which is GOOD!! I do not have a stamp sitting here taking up space and unused. This allows me to keep my finances for those stamps that I really like and want!!

Thanks for letting me express my opinion!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes