Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Gotta Go - What's the Best Way?

OK - I have finally admitted to myself that I do NOT "NEED" all this "stuff" I have accumulated over the past 4.5 years.

I had about 100 SU Stamp Sets set aside to sell ... and tonight I cleared out about another 50 more. I really like all of them but when I'm totally honest with myself ... I haven't touched some of them in over 2 years.

I also have alterable stuff, embellishments, retired inks and cardstock, etc... the list goes on and on.

I do NOT want to spend a ton of time unloading this stuff but it seems like a sin to just toss it ... and I could use the money to pay for summer camp!:-D

In your experience, what is the VERY BEST way to sell my items? Here, E-Bay, Craig's List (that kind of skeers me), what? Do you have any advice to offer?

Can you believe after sorting through it all and only keeping what I *really* want/need I still have 68 Stampin Up Sets, 1 Hanna Set, 12 PaperTrey Sets and 2 Big SU! Clear Boxes full of other Random Stamps? Sheesh!:rolleyes:

I think from now on I will not allow myself to purchase a new stamp set unless I'm willing to part with an old one! And alterables and embellishments will only be purchased for specific projects in specific timeframes. I have note cubes from over two years ago!

OK - so advice please ... thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been getting rid of my stuff for 6 months. The things I have done are donate. MamaDini right here on SCS needed some stuff for her ministry. And another SCS'er wanted scrapbook stuff for a child recovering from cancer.
I have 2 more boxes that will go to my local CASA shelter and I'm done.
HTH.

Sorry. didn't read the post as well as I had thought.
I've had great luck selling on here, as well as craigslist and ebay.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're wanting to sell, I would either to 1 lot on Ebay, or try to sell individually through here. That's a lot of shipping though!
I'm curious to know whatcha got!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

OK - let us know what you have that you need to unload...
Sally
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought about doing big lots on E-Bay ... I'm not interested in too much shipping and that would solve that problem. (I'm so lazy - sheesh!)

When I look at all I have I'm so embarassed ... it's just too much. I don't know how this happened! LOL! I really should get rid of even more. And just keep enough to make cards when I need them. I'm not stamping at all really anymore ... I do miss it but just don't have time, KWIM? So I figured I would at least get rid of MOST of what I have.

Maybe I'll do a two week sale here on SCS and then do the rest as bulk buys on E-Bay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, I sell on Craigslist and here on SCS. I have very good luck with both. I have never sold on EBay, only bought, so that is out for me, just too scared to do it!

I would check out some of the listings on Ebay that are large lots and see how they do, some do very well, some don't. Depends on how much you need the money and balance that out with the additional time packaging and shipping for all the buyers. One thing to ease the shipping nightmares is to only ship the USPS Flat Rate Priority. The boxes and envelopes are free, you know up front the cost of shipping, and they can be shipped via the 24hour postal machines in the local post office and you can avoid lines and/or go at your convenience.

As a buyer, I do not buy lots on Ebay, because almost always there is at least one or two sets in the lot I already have or really don't like. Then I would be stuck with buying something I would want to sell. Not worth it.

If you do decide to do lots, I would consider breaking them in like kind ie, SU sets 10 to a lot, flower embellies, holiday embellies, ribbons, etc all having separate lots. Buyers on Ebay are usually very specific. If they are looking for holiday embellishments for their scrap pages, they don't want a bunch of stamps or inks with them. KWIM?

Good luck and let us know if you decide to post here! Buyers are looking everyday at the listings!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Default In interested.....in your excess

Please email me or we can chat or if you give me your phone # in the email, I'll call you.

[email protected]

Mary Lou

Thanks and good luck !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently sold a a bunch of sets here on SCS. All the transactions went really smoothly. I would suggest trying to sell here first, then head off to eBay with whatever didn't sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I would do what other people have already said... list it all here first for a couple weeks and see what goes. Then sell on ebay. (I've never done Craigslist, but that would probably be good too.) You would probably make more money overall if you list the sets individually on ebay, but you have to weigh in if it is worth all your time to list each set and then ship each set (although you can do a lot of it at home and the Post Office will even pick it up for you too). That's my 2 cents
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
I recently sold a a bunch of sets here on SCS. All the transactions went really smoothly. I would suggest trying to sell here first, then head off to eBay with whatever didn't sell.

Thanks! I think that's what I will do. I'm going to work on my list this weekend (NOT looking forward to that!) ane then I'll set up a post here in the forum for buying and selling.

I appreciate ya'lls feedback. Hopefully all my stuff can find a new home quickly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

You'd sell it here in a flash in the UK believe me !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

tee hee ... I LOVE you siggy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

To you is the "best" way
a) the most money
b) the quickest
or c) to good homes?

BST seems to get the stamps to "good homes" for a fair price, but not a huge amount. I'd list in individually but give a shipping discount if someone buys a lot.
Ebay with the sets listed individually seems to get the most money
Ebay or craigslist as a huge lot at a cheap price seems to get them to go the fastest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nah - I'm not interested in charging huge sums of money for my stuff. $5 - $10 for most of the sets. A couple of bucks for wheels I guess ... I dunno how much for my other misc. "stuff".

So I guess for me the best way is the quickest and safest... I don't want to get ripped off, ya know?

But I think I can do PayPal and that should protect me.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar issue. I gave away 4 boxes of stuff on my blog. Each recipient was quite happy with the stash. A lot of it was paper, but there were some stamps in there too.

I also have a huge box of stampin up sets that I need to get rid of.

I don't have a lot of time for schlepping to the post office but I am selling them off one by one.

Another suggestion is to hold a stamp sale in your home and let your stamper friends know about it. I got rid of a lot of stuff like that a few years ago and no postage or boxes or keeping track of who wants what.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I know that around here people will advertise a retired stamp sale and then have a yard sale type thing. People get to see what they are buying and there's no shipping involved! My girlfriend saw an ad in the local paper and got some really great SU sets for reasonable prices. She said the sale was very crowded and people were just buying the stuff up like crazy! I think with Spring on the way and yard sale season starting up soon, this might be an easy way to get rid of a lot of stuff and then whatever is left over could go on sale here or on EBay. JMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consuelo lost everything to a tornado......is there anything you could send her??? I am sure she would appreciate it very much!!

Here's the link to her info.....

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

If worse comes to worse, you can just donate them to me . Heck... I'll even pay for shipping....
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamperView Post
Nah - I'm not interested in charging huge sums of money for my stuff. $5 - $10 for most of the sets. A couple of bucks for wheels I guess ... I dunno how much for my other misc. "stuff".

So I guess for me the best way is the quickest and safest... I don't want to get ripped off, ya know?

But I think I can do PayPal and that should protect me.:-D
Paypal protects you AND you can print off the shipping labels at home. No need for the Post office. I have a cheap ($15 from Target) kitchen scale that I use to weigh my packages. This has saved me tons of time schlepping to and from the Post office.

I'm interested to see what you have for sale also. Please let us all know when you get your list up on BST. I'm sure we'll all be good customers. ;)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Do you have a "Free Standing" Ebay store near you? If you don't want to do it yourself, have them do it. I believe they take a percentage, but it may be worth it and get you some extra cash without the hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Maybe you can find an ebay trading assisstant. They are people who sell the stuff for you on e bay and then take a percentage of the profit...but they do all the work for you. My local stamp/scrapbook store has a garage sale once a month where people can sell their cast offs. (Around here the store takes the money and then issues store credit to you.) Or a good old fashioned garage sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

There are lots of girls out there that would kill for some good stamps. Ebay as people have said, or sell on SCS or do you have gals around you that stamp - have a stamp (garage) sale.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
Personally, I sell on Craigslist and here on SCS. I have very good luck with both. I have never sold on EBay, only bought, so that is out for me, just too scared to do it!

I would check out some of the listings on Ebay that are large lots and see how they do, some do very well, some don't. Depends on how much you need the money and balance that out with the additional time packaging and shipping for all the buyers. One thing to ease the shipping nightmares is to only ship the USPS Flat Rate Priority. The boxes and envelopes are free, you know up front the cost of shipping, and they can be shipped via the 24hour postal machines in the local post office and you can avoid lines and/or go at your convenience.

As a buyer, I do not buy lots on Ebay, because almost always there is at least one or two sets in the lot I already have or really don't like. Then I would be stuck with buying something I would want to sell. Not worth it.

If you do decide to do lots, I would consider breaking them in like kind ie, SU sets 10 to a lot, flower embellies, holiday embellies, ribbons, etc all having separate lots. Buyers on Ebay are usually very specific. If they are looking for holiday embellishments for their scrap pages, they don't want a bunch of stamps or inks with them. KWIM?

Good luck and let us know if you decide to post here! Buyers are looking everyday at the listings!!
I usually buy on ebay...and I agree I usually stay away form the big lots because i usually have a few of them. I will go for big lots if there is a variety of thing like paper tools stamps. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

I have my huge list all ready to go ... I'm going to post it here first (in the right forum of course) and let it hang out for a couple of weeks then I'll go the Ebay to unload the rest.

I really appreciate ya'll helping me out ... hopefully I can get all this stuff sold and gone quickly!
Reply With Quote Likes