Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obligation to Who?

I feel like I'm in a bind.....
I am not a SU demonstrator, but I have a girl that I have been buying from for about 2 years now. I have gone to her house for classes, and gone to her stamp camp. I have spent quite a lot of money with her.
Well, in my neighbourhood, a flyer offered card classes and I signed up...close to my house and good price.
Well, this lady is a SU rep....she gives me a catalogue and a saleabration flyer. I haven't received the new catalogue from my rep yet...and there are things I want to order....
Who do I order from??? my old rep or this new lady??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a firm believer in letting customers decide who to get their goodies from, and don't feel like I "own" customers. That said, if you go to a particular person's event that they put time and effort into planning and use her supplies, it's only polite to place your order with that person as she has earned those sales.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
I'm a firm believer in letting customers decide who to get their goodies from, and don't feel like I "own" customers. That said, if you go to a particular person's event that they put time and effort into planning and use her supplies, it's only polite to place your order with that person as she has earned those sales.
even if I went to this class and paid for the class but didn't know she was a SU rep till I went??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I agree with Rachel....my customers aren't my 'property' and if they feel that another demo is offering more or whatever, I don't feel slighted if they purchase from her. And, since your demo hasn't given you a catalog and/or an SAB brochure and this new demo did....I say don't feel guilty ordering from her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the fact that you didn't get a catty from your current demo speaks volumes! If she wanted your business, she'd have that sucker in your hands ASAP.

Personally, I buy from whomever gives me the best deals. If one demo gives free shipping, I'll buy from her that time, if another gives me a discount on an item I want, I'll buy from her etc... I don't really have any loyalty, but I also don't attend any type of classes or workshops where the demo has done any kind of prep work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedahView Post
I feel like I'm in a bind.....
I am not a SU demonstrator, but I have a girl that I have been buying from for about 2 years now. I have gone to her house for classes, and gone to her stamp camp. I have spent quite a lot of money with her.
Well, in my neighbourhood, a flyer offered card classes and I signed up...close to my house and good price.
Well, this lady is a SU rep....she gives me a catalogue and a saleabration flyer. I haven't received the new catalogue from my rep yet...and there are things I want to order....
Who do I order from??? my old rep or this new lady??
I guess what you may want to ask yourself is...Are you looking for a closer demo? Different type of class?etc...I feel that you really have no loyalty to any demo really(you go with who you like/comfortable with/extra attention to detail like drop-off service or whatever...each offers their own style and brands of classes...sounds like you spent money with the other demo for two years when you went to her classes...did I read that right? Before I became a demo I went to a few different demo's classes...each had their own style...I did buy from each one if it were required...otherwise I paid the registration fee to attend and I wasn't obligated to buy...If you received a 'new' catalog from the new demo then I feel you can order from her...you may attend the other demo down the line for a class and at least you will have a current catalog to order from. Just because you received a catalog from one demo doesn't mean you could never order again from another...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Place your order with whomever! If you're at her class, place your order there. If your current SU demo has not even given you an SAB catty yet and this other one has, it shows that she's a little more interested in your business as well ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakjView Post
Personally, I buy from whomever gives me the best deals. If one demo gives free shipping, I'll buy from her that time, if another gives me a discount on an item I want, I'll buy from her etc... I don't really have any loyalty, but I also don't attend any type of classes or workshops where the demo has done any kind of prep work.
YEP! Me too- I am a deal shopper!

If I go to a class that has NO fee, then I place an order. If I paid for it, even a small charge, then I do not feel I have to place an order if I don't want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Before I became a demo I had two demonstrators whose classes I attended and I tried to spread my orders between the two of them. I thought it was only fair that if they took the time to teach me something new they got the benefit of an order. Now that I'm a demonstrator I price my classes so that I don't have to depend on orders to make a profit, because I know not everyone is going to place an order.

I guess my point is there is no right or wrong answer in this situation and you should purchase from whoever you want. The demo who gave you the catalog and the SAB catalog obviously wants to encourage you to do business with her, but if she gave these to you outright (and not with the expectation that you're going to place an order) then whether you want to order from her or not is totally up to you. If you feel comfortable with it, great. If you don't, just let her know that while you enjoy attending her classes you already have a demo you buy from.

I would, however, offer to return her catalogs to her if you're not going to purchase from her, as she did pay for those. She may very well tell you to keep them, but it would be nice to at least offer to return them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a similar situation. I have been going to a demo's house within a few miles of my house. Problem is that she has offended me in several ways. I'd rather not go into them. I have felt like I should switch demos for quite some time but haven't. She is the closest demo. And I thought I could try to overlook how she treats you like you're stupid if you skip a step or heaven forbid use a corner punch on cardstock, etc... So recently I did decide to take the step and look for a new demo through the SU site and found a demo new to the area. I am planning on ordering through her and maybe even signing up as a demo myself to get the discount. Do you think it is wrong of me not to sign up under the demo I have been taking workshops through since October and go with a demo I've never met? I hope someone has some ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadsgirl48View Post
I have a similar situation. I have been going to a demo's house within a few miles of my house. Problem is that she has offended me in several ways. I'd rather not go into them. I have felt like I should switch demos for quite some time but haven't. She is the closest demo. And I thought I could try to overlook how she treats you like you're stupid if you skip a step or heaven forbid use a corner punch on cardstock, etc... So recently I did decide to take the step and look for a new demo through the SU site and found a demo new to the area. I am planning on ordering through her and maybe even signing up as a demo myself to get the discount. Do you think it is wrong of me not to sign up under the demo I have been taking workshops through since October and go with a demo I've never met? I hope someone has some ideas.
If it wasn't a great experience as a customer, I don't think it will get any better having her for your upline. I would take a bit of time and get to know or at least meet the other demo. I wouldn't feel like you owe your current demo. You shouldn't be treated like that. Best of luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I'm not a demo, so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems to me that if you're going to sign up as a demo, you would want an upline that you "gel" with. Someone that is supportive and helpful - not someone who treats you stupid. (I didn't know you weren't supposed to use corner punches on cardstock; I do it all the time. Thank goodness I don't know better!)

Also, in my thinking, since October isn't all that long to have been going to classes with her. It's not like she's invested years in "educating" you! I'd stick with the demo whose style is more in tune with your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You really want to be choosy about who you sign with and make sure it's a good fit. You can't change your upline once you've signed up (unless you drop and wait a certain length of time). You might want to meet this other demo before you sign with her though, to make sure that would be a good fit. Find out what sorts of training opportunities are offered, social gatherings for demos, that sort of thing. You want someone that will support you in your business if you can find an upline like that in your area. Good luck :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not a demo but I have a great demo! That being said, if your first demo wanted you to order through her she would make sure you had the cattys and brochures. I would think it would not matter to her if you order through her or not if she is not giving you these things. Order where you get the best service and deal. HMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
(I didn't know you weren't supposed to use corner punches on cardstock; I do it all the time. Thank goodness I don't know better!)
I'm a demo and if such a rule exists no one told me or any of my demo friends about it. Sounds like a personal rule to me.

ITA about finding an upline you get along with and one that will provide you with the kind of support you are looking for. Sometimes the closest demo or your current demo is the perfect upline and sometimes not. Some demonstrators do not offer a lot of support to their downlines because they are not intrested in the business side of SU and they do not do enough to make any money from having a downline. Some local demosntrators do not want to recruit in their area becasue they do not want competition. Other local demosntrators offer tons of suport and love to recruit in their area. It really just depends on the person.

I would strongly recommend that you interview (whether in person or by phone) the person you're thinking of signing up under and ask her what kind of support she offers, if she has a downline, if she wants a donwline, what kind of support would you be able to get if your upline moved or quit being a demonstrator, etc. Any upline worth her her salt, local or non-local, will be happy to speak with you and address all of your concerns before you sign on.

Good luck in your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should order from the new lady because it seems like that's what you'd prefer. I don't think your old demo would feel slighted...if she does, just tell her what you've told us: the new one is closer and gave you a catalogue - seems like it's more convenient for you; nothing personal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We women kill me, and I include "me" in the "we." Take the emotion out of the equation, but do it ethically.

Being a demo is running a business. Buy from the person YOU want to buy from. Whether it is because someone offers awesome classes, is closer, places the orders more quickly, offers a better deal, or you just like her better, doesn't matter because as a customer, you get to choose for whatever reason you want, provided that you are not being a rat fink!!

Definition of rat fink -- I had a "customer" once who told me she was going to place a large order, but needed the catalogue and since she was going to place an order over $150 would I give her a cattie for free?

I did and never heard from her again!!!

So, buy from whomever you want but don't lie, cheat, or steal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedah
Well, this lady is a SU rep....she gives me a catalogue and a saleabration flyer. I haven't received the new catalogue from my rep yet...and there are things I want to order...
Quote:

...And I thought I could try to overlook how she treats you like you're stupid if you skip a step or heaven forbid use a corner punch on cardstock, etc...
No easy answer to either question, but my answer remains the same.

Personally, I feel that demos (and I am still one, time being) should behave as though they actually *WANT* your business.

If a demo wants orders, she needs to get a catalog in the hands of potential customers. Giving away a catalog for free is some of the cheapest advertising a demo can do. How can someone browse for merchandise if they don't have a catalog in hand? My theory on providing them for free was that when I walk into a physical store, they are not charging me to look at their merchandise...only when I buy. Okay...so the catalog costs the demo around $5.00. That's a small fee that a demo can absorb (if she so chooses) once an order is placed. If an order is not placed, it becomes a tax write-off. Either way: Win-Win.

If a demo wants you to keep coming to her classes, she needs to let her customers take creative liberty. Yeah, so she's created projects and got everything cut and measured...but if she is charging a fee, she has been paid up front for that work. Once someone starts making cards that they have *PAID FOR* the demo should back off and let the customer do something appealing to her. If it's a free class...well, I would personally probably stick to the program, given the up-front prep work that was done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadsgirl48
Do you think it is wrong of me not to sign up under the demo I have been taking workshops through since October and go with a demo I've never met?
If the gal you've been taking classes from isn't supportive and is rude when you're paying for your project, do you think she'll be a supportive upline? Do you know this new demo well enough to think she'll be supportive to you? What would be your goals as a demo - to build a business or be your own best customer? Answering those questions may help your make your decision a bit easier. ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am on my 3rd demo in 4 years as the first 2 were not a good demo to me. The first would never return phone calls, cancel stamp classes at the last minute, take forever to get an order to you as she had EVERYTHING shipped to her house. The 2nd demo was extremely rude. She cut down every other stamp line and company if you were talking about them. She only wanted you to buy SU from HER. And yes, she even said this! She really offended myself and 2 gals at a party I had. I ended up cancelling the show and only gave 2 orders and that was the last I talked to her.
I am a firm believer that as a customer, we have the right to choose who we buy from. Go with the demo that YOU like and gives you the best service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakjView Post
To me the fact that you didn't get a catty from your current demo speaks volumes! If she wanted your business, she'd have that sucker in your hands ASAP.
As an SU demo, I totally agree with this. It is already 2 months into the new catalog and she still has not gotten one to you??!! :rolleyes: She may be having some personal issues that have prevented her from doing her stamping business, but.....even if this is the case, I would say, order from the one who gave you the catalog. If you are afraid to burn bridges, perhaps you can order from the previous demo next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
I would, however, offer to return her catalogs to her if you're not going to purchase from her, as she did pay for those. She may very well tell you to keep them, but it would be nice to at least offer to return them.

Very good point. This is very good advice if you decide to go in that direction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulssandyView Post
As an SU demo, I totally agree with this. It is already 2 months into the new catalog and she still has not gotten one to you??!! :rolleyes: She may be having some personal issues that have prevented her from doing her stamping business, but.....even if this is the case, I would say, order from the one who gave you the catalog. If you are afraid to burn bridges, perhaps you can order from the previous demo next time.
I just want to point out that there is another side to the coin. Not every demonstrator can afford to give a new catalog to every single person who has ever ordered from her or attended a class. For some people who have a lot of customers who place small orders from time to time, that would be a huge up-front financial outlay. I have over 200 people in my customer base, some of whom have only ordered form me once or twice, and I sure hope they are not all sitting at home expecting a $9.95 idea book from me every 6 months (the cost of the catalog + the cost of shipping it to the customer would roughly equal the retail price). The cost to mail customers a sale-a-bration brochure is smaller, but there is still a cost. So I wouldn't necessarily hold not getting a catalog against a demosntrator if her service is otherwise great. But I also would not blame a customer for purchasing from a demo who did give her a catalog.

I guess all I'm saying is that a failure to give you a free catalog does not automatically make someone abad demo and unworthy of your business, but you can certainly figure out for yourself how high it ranks in terms of your criteria for what makes a good demo and act accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Personally, as a demo, I think you should pick one person and give all of your business to that one person. However, I agree with everyone else who said that a demo who hasn't gotten you a new catalog this late in the game maybe doesn't have her heart in it. If you've found someone closer to home who give good service and is kind then I don't think you should feel bad about switching to the new demo.

On the other hand, I also don't think you (general you, not "you" the OP) should pick your demo bases on how much free stuff she gives you. That's a bunch of carp in my opinion. This is a business first and foremost and the demo has the right to earn a little money doing it!! If she's a good demo, she puts in hours and hours designing, cutting, preparing for the workshops and classes she does for her customers and her only compensation is 20% of what anyone buys. Believe me when I tell you a lot of times she ends up working for nothing or less than nothing.

If you find a demo who treats you kindly, returns your calls and generally shares her love of the craft with you then you should reward her by giving her your business. I can see, if some other hostess else invites you to her workshop, buying something from that demo, but the bulk of your purchases-- and your own workshop booking-- should go to the demo who takes care of you. The one who sends you get well cards when you're sick or asks about your new baby.

I would be really hurt if one of my regular customers either booked a show with another demo or heaven forbid, signed up under another demo. I take really good care of my customers and I don't think it's bad to expect a little loyalty in return.

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidntView Post
If you find a demo who treats you kindly, returns your calls and generally shares her love of the craft with you then you should reward her by giving her your business. I can see, if some other hostess else invites you to her workshop, buying something from that demo, but the bulk of your purchases-- and your own workshop booking-- should go to the demo who takes care of you. The one who sends you get well cards when you're sick or asks about your new baby.
Absolutely!!! Great customer service is priceless. No matter what I am dealing with, it is the good customer service that gets my money. I am always willing to pay more for a product that comes with support. That is much better than a great deal and lousy customer service IMHO. Her other demo does not seem to be giving the kind of custmer service mentioned above, for what ever reason. Even if the demo can not afford to give catalogs away to everyone, she cetainly should to those who go to her classes and workshops, as the OP did. I would love a customer like the OP, her demo, which ever she chooses, will be blessed to have her :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I began stamping by going to a class that a friend was going to, this was a non paying class. The demo charges these customers the $10 for their catalogs unless they spent $100.00 that evening. I paid for my catalog and place an order for aprrox 85.00 a few days later. A few weeks later a friend of mine and I got together and placed a very large order 250.00 between the two of us and she didn't even offer us the hostess freebies. The next time we did it we asked if we could get them since we were basically having a "party". She did give them to us that time. I decided to become a demo after that and I didn't go thru her, she was upset and doesn't speak but.... I didn't owe her anything is my point. I paid for anything I got from her which was 1 free card.
My friend is my only constant customer and she still has large parties, I give her a 10% discount always and she gets her catalogs free plus I send them to her at my cost. My thoughts are go through whoever you wish and don't worry as the dollars you spent in the past have more than paid for the classes. We as demo's should not expect that our customers will stay if we aren't fair to them.

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

where in NC are you? I have a demo that I absolutely adore and could hook you up if you're close
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Wink

thanks everyone

my old demo never gave me anything except thank you cards and free catalogues (although in the beginning I paid for catalogues) for bringing her business
At her previous stamp camps I brought 7 other people with me and went to many of her classes she had at her home, and brought others with me.

She had a new catalogue open house recently and if you pre-registered for the spring stamp camp you got a catalogue for free.....I didn't go to the open house and I am not going to the Spring stamp camp cause I didn't like the project this time (I have made way to many of them myself) So, I didn't get a catalogue this time.

Now this new demo comes along and I had no idea she was a SU demo when I signed up for the card class, and of course she wants me to purchase from her......the card class was really below what I am capable of doing but it was a night out. So, I think I will order from the new demo that I just met......she lives in my neighbourhood.

Thanks for all the insite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedahView Post
thanks everyone

my old demo never gave me anything except thank you cards and free catalogues (although in the beginning I paid for catalogues) for bringing her business
At her previous stamp camps I brought 7 other people with me and went to many of her classes she had at her home, and brought others with me.

She had a new catalogue open house recently and if you pre-registered for the spring stamp camp you got a catalogue for free.....I didn't go to the open house and I am not going to the Spring stamp camp cause I didn't like the project this time (I have made way to many of them myself) So, I didn't get a catalogue this time.

Now this new demo comes along and I had no idea she was a SU demo when I signed up for the card class, and of course she wants me to purchase from her......the card class was really below what I am capable of doing but it was a night out. So, I think I will order from the new demo that I just met......she lives in my neighbourhood.

Thanks for all the insight
I think we misunderstood each other's initial posts.

When I read the OP, I thought you were asking about going to one demo's events, but placing orders with the other. That's why I said what I did about ordering from the demo whose work you got to enjoy the benefit of. I think your stamping turns out better when you "click" with your demo, so if this new lady is a better fit don't feel guilty about going to her from now on. Just give your old demo a heads-up so she's not left wondering what she did when you suddenly drop off her radar (and spending money to send you minis, etc. when you're not buying from her). It's just the nice thing to do.

Tangibly, I don't give my customers a whole lot apart from "thank you cards and free catalogs", either, just because at this level in my business I simply can't afford to do so. I do offer the best I can in terms of customer service, though. Hope my lack of freebies isn't the reason I'm not getting much response when I follow up with them! :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Tangibly, I don't give my customers a whole lot apart from "thank you cards and free catalogs", either, just because at this level in my business I simply can't afford to do so. I do offer the best I can in terms of customer service, though. Hope my lack of freebies isn't the reason I'm not getting much response when I follow up with them! :(
Frankly, I think great customer service, a thank you card and a free catalog is great -- it's more than you'd get for the equivalent purchase at a local store, regardless of how many friends you brought to shop there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Absolutely do not sign up under the demo who made you feel uncomfortable. I think I am totally blessed with an exceptional demo (and friend, and she also turned me onto Splitcoast so how cool is that?) - who teaches, encourages, supports and is generous with her time and energy. This woman consistently goes above and beyond and she really sees every individual in her workshops for their own particular strengths and weaknesses (so she helps them ). You want your upline to be someone you feel comfortable with and you can turn to for help. I would not go to a class or order from someone who treated me the way she has treated you, let alone sign up under her. It is appalling to me that someone would treat her customers that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I think if you're going to someone's class or a home party you should at least sometimes place an order with them. I have a couple of customers that come to all my classes but they order from another consultant and never place orders with me. I know it shouldn't but it does bother me a little bit that they enjoy my classes and want to come get my ideas but don't at least place a small order every now and then.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the responses to the question I had. I have decided that I am going to meet the new demo. She just moved to the area from Virgina but she has been with SU for 9 years and has done a lot for her downline. I appreciate all of your responses. I have one of those personalities where I don't want to offend anyone so making a decision to change has been hard but I think it will be for the best. Thanks again, you ladies are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks for the responses to the question I had. I have decided that I am going to meet the new demo. She just moved to the area from Virgina but she has been with SU for 9 years and has done a lot for her downline. I appreciate all of your responses. I have one of those personalities where I don't want to offend anyone so making a decision to change has been hard but I think it will be for the best. Thanks again, you ladies are great!
Good for you. You have to remember that when it comes to choosing your upline the last thing you should worry about is offending anyone. When you buy a starter kit you are inevsting in a business and choosing an upline is a business decision. You may decide that right now you really just want a hobby, not a business, but if you change your mind down the road changing an upline becomes very cumbersome and may involve a 6 month waiting period. So it is far better to make the right choice from the start, and choose an upline who can provide you with any sort of support (business or creative) when and if you need it. Hope you have a productive meeting with your new potential upline and that we'll be seeing you in the demo forums soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
I think if you're going to someone's class or a home party you should at least sometimes place an order with them. I have a couple of customers that come to all my classes but they order from another consultant and never place orders with me. I know it shouldn't but it does bother me a little bit that they enjoy my classes and want to come get my ideas but don't at least place a small order every now and then.
You could try charging differently for your classes to encourage orders - say give a price decrease (i.e. $5 off, etc...) with a minimum order.

As to the OP, order from the demo you like. The one that gave you the catty seems more on the ball, so I'd likely go with her. Also, do NOT sign up with a demo you do not like. This is the person you will be going to time and time again to get your questions answered and get support, so you should choose your boss wisely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I like my demo and she doesn't give freebies. She lets us buy the catalog for $5 at Card Club. She does ATCs with instructions for the technique we learned. And every once in a while she has us make a project in addition to our 2 cards and ATC. One thing I would like more of is if she would let us know about the promotions--advertise them to us a little bit or talk about them at Card club. We are all there to make and BUY, so it's nice to know what's available. And I enjoy talking about the stamps, paper, etc., but that's just a personality difference. I justwant a little of the SCS enthusiasm in my "real" life, YKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post
I like my demo and she doesn't give freebies. She lets us buy the catalog for $5 at Card Club. She does ATCs with instructions for the technique we learned. And every once in a while she has us make a project in addition to our 2 cards and ATC. One thing I would like more of is if she would let us know about the promotions--advertise them to us a little bit or talk about them at Card club. We are all there to make and BUY, so it's nice to know what's available. And I enjoy talking about the stamps, paper, etc., but that's just a personality difference. I justwant a little of the SCS enthusiasm in my "real" life, YKWIM?
I would definitely tell her that you'd like to hear more about the current specials. Some demos don't tell their customers because they don't like to seem pushy, but if you tell her you want to hear then I'm sure she'll be happy to talk with you about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post
I love the idea of an ATC card with the technique instructions. I am signing up to be a demo, and if I decide to do a class/workshop, I'll keep that idea in mind

My demo started hostess stamp clubs and she alternates between making three cards, or making 3D projects (1-3) which has really been fun.

I like that she emails class schedules and SU specials and also she will have a little flyer printed up that is at your station when you go to a class or club. That way, you get the info but she doesn't have to repeat herself or make you feel like she's being 'sales-y' about it.
Reply With Quote Likes