Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping sucks

really - it sucks. I was putting an order into Papertrey for the cardstock/ribbon combo and it was going to cost $11.50 to mail it. Then I added the pattern paper and it jumped up to $23.00. So for a extra $12.00 item I have to pay an extra $11.50 in postage. That really sucks. I have cancelled my order....:( :( :( :(
Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Rick(CS guy for PTI) Is investagating International flat rate envelops for you all. There have been suggestions reguarding you canadians and having to pay crazy shipping so now he is looking into it.
Check out the post over on the PTI forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Ouch! Yeah that does suck. I was going to say, just get enough for free shipping, but I see you're in Canada.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I noticed that happened too as soon as you went over the $50 mark. Shipping went to $23. Flat rate priority shipping is $23 as well which is was before. I don't remember it going to $23 when it went over $50 before. I remember shipping to be pretty reasonable.

My SCS Gallery
My Blog: Live Love Laugh and STAMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #5  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

It's hard with international rates as is, then if the paper you added was 12x12, you "outgrew" a flat rate envelope. Stoopid postal rates! LOL! I have cancelled many orders with many places because of shipping....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Thanks Monica, I hope "Rick" can do something about it....I love, love, love Papertrey. And really its not their fault at all.
Lisa you are probably right with the 12x12 paper, maybe I'll just have to be happy with the 81/2x11 combos.
Yes, Bethany shipping really sucks into Canada and even across Canada.
Thanks girls
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

i so agree! shipping just makes everything so not so worth it.. the only good thing is that it helps me save money cos i just end up not buying.. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I don't think that the 12x12 is the culprit. I ordered 3 stamp sets, the Aqua Mist collection and the 6x6 DP and my shipping was $23 also. Yikes! I'm not sure if/when I will order from PTI with prices like this for shipping. I'd rather buy CDN or from my SU demo. But I just had to have my friend Kelsey's set Everyday Blessings-so I splurged on the rest-hoping that DH doesn't notice the shipping costs!

But you know, my sister in N.C. has sent us huge parcels of toys, clothes etc that haven't cost that much..so who knows!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

The postal rates are certainly not set by Paper Trey. I know I've sent things across the border before and it's really easy to go over the line from not-too-expensive postage up to absurdly outrageous, lol! I'm so sorry it works out that way! Can you split up your order? Or maybe go in with a friend and order, at least you'd share the shipping with somebody.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I don't order much from the US due to shipping, and then custom charges once it arrives. Saves me money. 1 place I ordered from was 27% shipping, plus custom charges. But it was something I couldn't get here.

For Christmas I bought my dh a tiny gift for $20US and paid $16 for shipping. Again, it was something I couldn't get here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah. With papertrey.. I've created shopping carts many times... but because of shipping, I haven't committed. I wish I knew a few people in the area, we could combine all our orders, and pay a flat shipping fee. But don't know many. Hopefully something gets worked out for us Canadians
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Wow that is some high shipping. Shipping is my biggest pet peeve cause i hate paying it but with PT i just order over $40 for free shipping cause im in the us...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I had the reverse experience - I saw something online and didn't realize she was in Canada - I ended up paying $32 for my package, which I could have gotten for much less in the US if I had thought to check it out first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

why is it tho' that free shipping applies only to US addresses on so many things? As soon as they find out we are Canadian, there is no longer free shipping. After my $ is converted to US, is it not the same amount as the US customer? That is my pet peeve.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I placed a HUGE order with Papertrey this month. I learned awhile ago that I should save up my orders for a few months and order it all at once due to the shipping. For this order my shipping was also $23.00, it has 4 of the Egg boxes, 2 of the stationaty sets, a number of tins and bags, all of the new paper, ribbons and ink and quite a few stamp sets! The box will be large.

Last year I ordered 25 nugget tins, the box was quite large, shipping was $23.00. Another order I placed was for 4 stamp sets, much smaller package, shipping was still $23.00. Their products are fantastic and their shipping is fast! I just have to hold off on buying things for awhile and then buy them all at once and then the shipping works out really well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

you need to make sure the shipping is set to USPS first class international, this is considerable cheaper than the flat rate, shipping on my $58 order was only $7.50! the flat rate is always selected at first but if you change it to this you wallet will thank you

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Funny I should find this thread today. I just received my Papertrey nestabilities - postage to Australia charged at $11.50 - actual postage $8.65!

Not only that but it arrived in a giant box with heaps of paper padding. At the same time I received two cuttlebug embossing folders (the same size as the nestabilities) which arrived here in a bubble mailer for - $4.65!!! Absolutely ridiculous. Am going to complain to Papertrey in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by valminView Post
Funny I should find this thread today. I just received my Papertrey nestabilities - postage to Australia charged at $11.50 - actual postage $8.65!

Not only that but it arrived in a giant box with heaps of paper padding. At the same time I received two cuttlebug embossing folders (the same size as the nestabilities) which arrived here in a bubble mailer for - $4.65!!! Absolutely ridiculous. Am going to complain to Papertrey in the morning.
wow... that's a very reasonable shipping price you got for your cuttlebug folders. Where did you buy them from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm HookedView Post
why is it tho' that free shipping applies only to US addresses on so many things? As soon as they find out we are Canadian, there is no longer free shipping. After my $ is converted to US, is it not the same amount as the US customer? That is my pet peeve.
Most places have the same policy for shipping to Alaska - they seem to suddenly forget we are part of the U.S. :confused:
Unfortunately with the price of fuel these days I think the shipping will only get worse.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: The avie is my granddaughter & the bike that she races

Quote:

Originally Posted by valminView Post

Papertrey says "free Priority shipping" on orders over $40 but my order 0f $100+ is scheduled to be delivered by UPS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Nice to hear from all of you on this subject. Something else to consider when we Canadians are placing an order when our packages hits customs we will be paying another $5.00 plus 10% tax on top of the total price of our order. Another big OUCH!!
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not a stamp/paper co., but I ordered from a US website that sent me to a Canadian website, that ships out of ONT. Canada and still had to pay US dollars and high shipping rates as if it came from the US. And like Kathy said, then customs hits you. I am sure Canadians make up a large amount of many business orders with online shopping, you'd think they could offer us more reasonable rates, although I am sure it is the postal system, not the company? I too have been put off ordering from many a place because of shipping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Did you guys play with the shipping options? There are two available to Canadian customers, and even with this most recent order which included paper, ink, stamps, etc my shipping only came to $8.50 or something like that. The total order was about $80 so I didn't think that was bad at all. If I choose the other option though the shipping jumps to over $20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
really - it sucks. I was putting an order into Papertrey for the cardstock/ribbon combo and it was going to cost $11.50 to mail it. Then I added the pattern paper and it jumped up to $23.00. So for a extra $12.00 item I have to pay an extra $11.50 in postage. That really sucks. I have cancelled my order....:( :( :( :(
Kathy
I have never ordered from paper trey. I know I really watch the shipping too since I'm from Canada. Cornish Heritage farms has decent shipping prices on everything but card stock. Paper wishes has a warehouse in Canada now and even has a cataloge out with Canadian prices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been wanting to buy some wooden blocks and I have had 3 lovely women offer to send them to me here in Canada. The shipping has been the biggest barrier ! I understand that the blocks are heavy but if I lived in the US then I could get a flat rate box for (I think) $10 . The boxes that can be sent from the US to Canada are $23.00 or $24.00 and there are weight restrictions.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Shipping from papertrey is based on weight - after a certain rate you have to pay the $23 flat rate but you can really play around to get the best bang for your buck with the shipping.

I just ordered 12 papertrey full sets + year round puns for a total before shipping cost of $257, the shipping on that was only 11.50 which is less than 5%. When it went through customs I was charged a $5 handling fee + 5% GST so my total cost was ~286. This means I paid ~11% for shipping + taxes. This is a great deal compared to being a customer of SU which charges 10% shipping + 5% GST for a total of 15.5% (due to compounding) shipping+taxes surcharge. In otherwords if you plan your order carefully you can get your papertrey stamps in Canada for less than you would pay from SU.

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I played with the shipping options it stated that my shipping was not available to my address??? I don't order anything that will get too large from paper trey. I also find that my order takes over three weeks to arrive to me, anyone else in Canada have this problem?

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts

Too true! I ordered from JC Penny not long ago and paid 16% shipping! I was aghast, since SU only charges 10%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I live in the US so papertry's shipping is not an issue for me however I find other companys shipping really out of hand. A couple of months back I wanted to buy some tins so some helpful SCS said I should go to specialty tins. I put a $12 order in my cart (bear in mind these are small tins) and proceeded to the shipping part. They wanted to charge me $11 shipping from UPS!! That to me was ridiculous. So I didn't ordered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I won't accept a shipment from the US to Canada via UPS. (ps: I'm not a demo either). Their shipping is ridiculous. I can have the same parcel sent via post office and pay $5 for the parcel vs having to pay customs or duty as well if I use UPS. UPS is just way higher. We pay the 5% GST on every parcel so that is a mute point.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

duh -- meant to type "moot" point.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by akstampmamaView Post
Most places have the same policy for shipping to Alaska - they seem to suddenly forget we are part of the U.S. :confused:
Unfortunately with the price of fuel these days I think the shipping will only get worse.
Same here with Hawaii. Can't get "free shipping" either. We are still the United States too! But we are out of the loop. Some companies won't even ship USPS, only ship UPS, that is anothe bag of worms in cost!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestampsView Post
Too true! I ordered from JC Penny not long ago and paid 16% shipping! I was aghast, since SU only charges 10%.
JC Penny shipping is now terrible. I only order when they are offering free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Same here with Hawaii. Can't get "free shipping" either. We are still the United States too! But we are out of the loop. Some companies won't even ship USPS, only ship UPS, that is anothe bag of worms in cost!!!
When I've mailed to Alaska and Hawaii the Priority mailing amounts were the same for flat rate. The other rates would be by zone. I just mailed to Saipan in the North Mariana Islands and it was just like mailing within the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm HookedView Post
I won't accept a shipment from the US to Canada via UPS. (ps: I'm not a demo either). Their shipping is ridiculous. I can have the same parcel sent via post office and pay $5 for the parcel vs having to pay customs or duty as well if I use UPS. UPS is just way higher. We pay the 5% GST on every parcel so that is a mute point.
Is there some sort of brokerage fee with a UPS package in addition? I thought I read that there is. Its good to know because I wouldn't want someone to pay more because something was sent UPS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am running a Shipping Promotion where the more you buy, the less you pay for shipping! And Canadian orders are only $1 extra!

http://www.stampbystep.com/shipping.htm

Cheryl Kay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Default International Shipping......

As much as I can understand your frustration...I feel the need to clarify a few things about shipping to Canada....and anywhere outside the US.....

There are always two shipping options listed for International customers....they are USPS First Class International, and USPS Priority Mail International.

The first option is always based on weight, and the price naturally goes up when the weight goes up. These prices are set based on our costs, and we "typically" find that we lose money on shipping when someone uses this option. There are rare cases when we charge 11.00 and it costs us 9.00...but 80% of the time we actually spend more than we charge. Then you have to factor in that all of the international orders have to be hand-delivered to the post office, only after taking the time to manually create the customs declaration forms....and we have to pay someone to do all of that...

And I have seen on several orders when folks choose the more expensive Priority Mail option...even when First Class International was much cheaper and available. Problem is I don't see that until after the order has been placed and shipped...

The other option is Priority Mail International. We have two rates for that service. $23 to Canada, and $37 anywhere else...and although that may seem high....we almost always lose money when using this service. We charged someone this week $37 to ship to Japan, and it cost us over $85.00!!

The USPS has a rate chart for International shipments when using their service....but they do not publish it...so we can't select "actual charges" during checkout because we don't get the rate chart...and they won't give it to us...in electronic format anyway....

Now, I know many folks have asked for a flat-rate box because you can ship up to 20 lbs for the same rate....the problem is that the orders usually will not fit into the flat-rate box....especially the orders with paper in them.

I know it can be very frustrating because you just want your stuff without having to pay an arm and a leg for shipping....but trust me when I say we lose a lot of money shipping packages...but we are not in the business of shippping....we are in the business of making beautiful products for you to enjoy.....and shipping just happens to be a pain in both of our sides....

With that being said....

I have looked into using other companies to ship outside the US....and UPS, Fedex and DHL all charge RIDICULOUS rates.....so I am going to have to think outside the box on this one.

I have considered using a Canadian distribution company for our customers up north.....the problem with that is that we lose all control of the process....and we are very concerned that they won't take the same care when packing and shipping your items.

The other concern is that WE would have to pay the duty and shipping costs to get our products there....which in turn would raise our prices....and nobody wants to see that....not even us...=)

I am still working on a solution....because I LOVE our international customers....and I get excited that our products are travelling around the world for ALL to enjoy....

So don't give up yet....please....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I suppose your information will certainly help ease the frustrations of some -- but it still does not alter the fact that shipping sucks from the US to Canada.

I seldom buy from the US because of the costs of shipping. My frustrations occur when I hear all the time that "free shipping" applies only to Americans. I also can spend hundreds of dollars with your company and then pay huge shipping costs on top of that.

The customs form must be filled out -- which whenever I have had to fill one out does not take me very long to do -- country of origin, cost, etc. Your costs could certainly be cut down if you were to ship internationally once or twice per week to cut down all those trips to the post office. If you need to make one trip per day because of the number of international orders -- maybe it would be well worth the cost of the wages of that person to do that job.

Anyway, I think that all we are saying -- is that you would certainly have more orders from the Canadians -- more sales means more money made -- if the shipping and handling charges were not so terribly expensive.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

i would also like to buy paper online but since i m in Norway the shipping kills it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am blessed to have the best of both worlds.....I live in Canada and am about 10minutes from the US border.....I love my US PO box. It has saved me a TON of money and I get my goodies sooooo much faster!
Reply With Quote Likes