Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry but I have to ask more demo questions

Hey ladies well I haven't been here all that long and the temptation to become a demo is really strong. Especially with the inkpad deal. I have five sets that are already in the catelogue that were purchased fairly recently at a garage sale for cheap. I guess it was fate or something because then I found this site and have been enjoying everyones talent and help. The sets I got were nice and easy notes, simple wishes, mini messages, quick and cute, a greeting for all reasons, and the weathered background stamp. I'm not sure what kind of demo I would be because I'm still not sure whom I would sell to aside from my mother's friends but I really enjoy stamping. It hasn't seem to have caught on as well in my age group. I will also be working toward my doctor of veterinary medicine for the next four years so I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up minimums but I'd like to give demoing a try. So on with the questions.

What stamp sets sell well?

What is your favorite set to demo?

How often do you do demos classes etc...?

What have you found works well for marketing yourself as a demo?

Do you have to use only SU's product while you are demoing? (the reason I ask this is because I have lots of other products that have been purchased over the years things like another set of watercolor crayons I have two sets of already might not be in the budget for awhile)

Would I be allowed to sell cards that I made as a demo or is this not allowed? (I know about the requirements like have to use their handstamped stamps and that it cannot be a fixed location)

What is the best way to deal with payment? (just asking for opinons I know that there are ways of doing credit cards etc...)

What inkpad set should I get? I'm leaning toward SS because I have lots of other colors with other companies products. I know this isn't ideal but it would work for the moment.

What other pads aside from black are good?

Can anyone link me to the discussion about what sets can be substituted? (I searched and can't seem to find it)

Whew that's about all I have for the moment. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 03:28 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
Hey ladies well I haven't been here all that long and the temptation to become a demo is really strong. Especially with the inkpad deal. I have five sets that are already in the catelogue that were purchased fairly recently at a garage sale for cheap. I guess it was fate or something because then I found this site and have been enjoying everyones talent and help. The sets I got were nice and easy notes, simple wishes, mini messages, quick and cute, a greeting for all reasons, and the weathered background stamp. I'm not sure what kind of demo I would be because I'm still not sure whom I would sell to aside from my mother's friends but I really enjoy stamping. It hasn't seem to have caught on as well in my age group. I will also be working toward my doctor of veterinary medicine for the next four years so I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up minimums but I'd like to give demoing a try. So on with the questions.

What stamp sets sell well?

Do you have to use only SU's product while you are demoing? (the reason I ask this is because I have lots of other products that have been purchased over the years things like another set of watercolor crayons I have two sets of already might not be in the budget for awhile)

Would I be allowed to sell cards that I made as a demo or is this not allowed? (I know about the requirements like have to use their handstamped stamps and that it cannot be a fixed location)

What is the best way to deal with payment? (just asking for opinons I know that there are ways of doing credit cards etc...)

What inkpad set should I get? I'm leaning toward SS because I have lots of other colors with other companies products. I know this isn't ideal but it would work for the moment.

Can anyone link me to the discussion about what sets can be substituted? (I searched and can't seem to find it)

Whew that's about all I have for the moment. ;)
If you can't or don't want to do a lot of workshops, it's quite possible to meet your quarterly sales minimums with only one $100 workshop a month -- and that's if you don't buy anything from the catalog yourself! :p

You are only supposed to demo with SU! products, unless maybe it's something that SU! doesn't sell in the catalog. While there may be a tiny bit of leeway when you're just starting out and haven't replaced all your non-SU! stuff yet, it's generally frowned on because you're not representing those other companies and the starter kit is designed so that you have everything you need to start doing workshops right away.

You cannot sell any of your handstamped creations at your workshops, and if you do a craft show you have to either be there as a crafter or as a demo, but not both. If you are there as a demo, then SU! has to approve your display if you do not use their display kit -- you would want a say in how someone represented you, wouldn't you?

I would get the Rich Regals pads as the free set, since fall and the holidays are coming up in the next few months and RR had the most new color additions. Also, Basic Brown and Going Gray are good ones when you want a softer look than black, and Basic Brown is waterproof when used on the SU! white and vanilla CS.

You can substitute any catalog set of equal or lesser value for the ones that SU! suggests for the starter kit. That's for each individual set on the list, not their total value.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A once a month class or stamp club is a great way to make your minimum with a minimum of effort. To really bring in the money, they recommend one workshop a week.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 04:21 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

It changes from season to season with me.....I've used All Natural a lot and I'm sure I will be using Natural Beauty a lot, too. And In Full Bloom....and I'm sure at other times of the year, other sets!
Quote:

I donlt do a ton of workshops....maybe 1 per quarter. I used to do more of those, but my main group of customers like more involved things, so now I mostly do stamp nites and classes. Stamp nites are free and they come to stamp at my house.....and much to my surprise order quite a bit. Classes I charge a fee and they can learn more advanced techniques. I used to have a stamp club and that easily covered my minumums at the beginning....and I never had a full 10 members at one time!
Quote:

Word of mouth
Quote:

You will WANT to use only SU products because you WANT people to buy them! It might seem unrealistic right now - but the kit really does give you all you need to get started! Use your other stuff for your own cards....or sell it and buy more SU stuff once you get going! I donlt think I have hardly any of my non-SU stuff anymore.
Quote:

I get mostly checks and credit cards. I thinkpeople spend more if they can put it on a credit card. You could start with cash/checks and then after you get going, add credit cards. You can also have poeple pay with paypal.
Quote:

You can pick your choice of the following:
(2) $28.95 sets
(1) $19.95 set
(2) $12.95 sets
(1) $11.95 set
(1) regular size wheel
You also get your choice of 5 stamp pads and a wheel cartridge.

I agree with Rachel as far as getting the Rich Regals for your free set.....especially with the holidays coming up. Assuming you have no other SU pads, I would pick Basic Brown, Pumpkin Pie (with autumn around the corner), either orchid opulence or lovely lilac (so you have a purple), certainly celery or mellow moss, and pale plum for my 5 pads.

Right from the start, you will have 18 pads, versamark, pastels, blender pens, 6 stamp sets (plus the 6 you have already), adhesive, stampin scrub/mist, scissors and a wheel/cartridge.......heck that's way more than when I first started!

Donlt worry about your own age group not being interested....your mother's freinds is a good place to start and then branch out from there.

Do it - you wonlt regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Best wishes on your studies! My friend has her DVM and I know it's a lot of hard work.

I have my paperwork in hand and will be signing up at the end of the week. The minimums are my big stress-er as I'm planning to do this for the discount.

One of my friends worked as a consultant (different company) while an undergrad. She did it to help fund her habit, but she always met her minimums.

Your mother's friends would be a great place to start.

If your breaks aren't filled to the brim with research and internships, then you could try to schedule your workshops then. First quarter (Jan - March) next year would include spring break, 2nd quarter (April - June) and 3rd quarter (July - Sept) would hopefully span your summer break, and then 4th quarter (Oct - Dec) hopefully you'd have built a customer base where people could order from you without doing a demonstration if your schedule didn't permit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I don't do alot of workshops. I try to offer 1 stamp camp per quarter. That way I get the hostess benefits my regulars usually invite at least one guest.
That helps me to meet my minimum for the quarter. That's one of the pros for being an SU! Demo. You work your parties and camps around your schedule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Thanks so much

Thanks you to everyone for your responses. I'll definately take all of the comments into consideration. Rich Regals were the one set that I really hadn't looked at because the colors didn't appeal to me as much but what you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. I've written down the other colors that were suggested. Hmmm All Natural is nice but it has a pear. Gosh I hate those things because they have been so popular in stamping for what seems like forever just like tags blech. Natural beauty is another one that I thought was really nice. That's a darned good point that I could do it on my breaks I never thought of it like that. The info about the craft fair stuff that totally makes sense I just needed clarification. I just thought I wouldn't be allowed to sell stuff at all. I'm glad to hear that I can use some non SU stuff it's just that I've got lots of different things like a stamp a ma jig that is purple and is the same product, the paper crimper, a heat gun. That kind of stuff I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to use it at all. Thanks again it's so nice to talk to the experts and get an opinon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in on the ink pads choice... I'm getting the Rich Regals set, but as for the other 5, I recommend sticking with another family, like 5 of the bold brights, earth elements, or soft subtles (whichever you like the most or if you have one from the family already) that way, you can get the stampin spots, for the other two families (or markers - if that is the way you go) & the remaining 7 to get a complete set.

For example: I have the close to cocoa already & therefore I am choosing 5 other colors from the earth elements (very fall). For my first order, with the 30% off I've decided to get the soft subtles markers (cause I think I'll use these to color with, more than stamp with). As for the Bold Brights, I think I'll get the classic spots...
Reply With Quote Likes