Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:56 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on tiles

I want to stamp on the little 1"x 1" tiles. I've never done this before.

Can someone tell me what works best? Using stamp pads (which ones?) or acrylic paint? Also, do I spray them with some kind of a sealer?

Does anyone know where can I buy the magnetic sheets in a larger quanity?

And one more question...Do you know where I can buy the tie tac pins (I guess thats what they are called)?

Thanks for your help!

Be blessed!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 05:07 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

My Bracelet forms came from Exolite. They were easy to deal with and fast in shipping. I am SURE they ahve Tie Tack bases - they seem to have everything else!

Exolite Corp.
806 10th St.
P.O. Box 729
Wheatland, WY 82201-9901
(307) 322-3050
(307) 322-3055

Just call and ask them to send you a catty. They do NOT have a web addy currently.

Hope that helps!

Smiles

Kate

PS - I have never stamped on the 1x1s but for the tumbled tiles I use a Poly-Eurathane (sp?) spray that I got in the Paint Dept at Home Depot. That has worked great for sealing coaster tiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 06:36 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

As far as ink, I have been using my black craft pad and drying it either in the oven for 10 min at 250 if I have a lot or with my heat tool. Then color in with Sharpies. I know that several ladies have sealed with Krylon or some other spray. If you are only using for magnets, you don't need to seal. It isn't going to get wet. I don't think the magnet sheets are going to hold like you want. Those tiles get heavy and to hold anything else you are going to need a heavy duty magnet. I get mine from lowes. HTH

Steffani
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irene K
I want to stamp on the little 1"x 1" tiles. I've never done this before.

Can someone tell me what works best? Using stamp pads (which ones?) or acrylic paint? Also, do I spray them with some kind of a sealer?

Does anyone know where can I buy the magnetic sheets in a larger quanity?

And one more question...Do you know where I can buy the tie tac pins (I guess thats what they are called)?
Pins ~ Michaels in the jewelry section.
Magnets ~ get the thick round ones from WalMart or Michaels, the sheet magnets won't hold.
Ink ~ StazOn, no need to bake.
Sealer ~ depends on the medium you use to color your image. If you use Pastels, Pencils, or Stampin' Write Markers, you'll want to seal them with an acrylic craft sealer. If you use Sharpie, there's no need to seal them.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I never thought about the weight of the tile. I will get the heavier ones. I forgot about the sharpies...I already have some of them.

I love this site...where else can you go to get an answer from someone who has experience in what is needed!

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 08:47 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Here are some things I found while playing around with tiles (the smaller shinier type ones)

Use Staz-on - heat set before you color it in with sharpies or anything else - you can use an embossing gun to do this.

Use sharpies to color them in to give it the boldest color - I would not use acrylic paint

As for sealing here is the thing - if you don't seal them certain cleaning chemicals can cause the image to come off...but chances are if you are going to be using them as a pin or a magnet they are not going to come into contact with those type chemicals

Spray sealer - depends on the type - some of them make the ink run, even if heat embossed and I have found that once sealed it can "chip" off (however this was discovered after one of my 3 year olds took one and played quite hard with it outside)

However throwing the tile in a heated oven (~250) for about 10-12 minutes works quite well

My suggestion...

Use Stazon to stamp - heat set with embossing gun
Color in using sharpies (if you don't have any yet places like BJS and Costco carry the big pack of all different colors for less than $10 - worth the $$$)
throw in the oven for about 10 minutes
Let cool and do what you want...

As for tie tacks - check the jewelry section at Micheals or Ben Fraklin or any type of craft store...

hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I'm not a fan of heat setting. I've had one too many tiles fade in the oven. I use Patricia Nimock glossy acrylic sealer and have never had a problem.

And my first thought about chemicals and pins was "what if you forget to take it off what you are wearing?" A common problem in my house. Would laundry detergent remove the images? I know it's taken sharpie out of clothing. Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
I'm not a fan of heat setting. I've had one too many tiles fade in the oven. I use Patricia Nimock glossy acrylic sealer and have never had a problem.
Kymbers-
I love the tiles in your gallery and have read your advice on tiles before. Where do you get the PN sealer? I've looked in several craft stores and have been unable to find it :( What section of the store is it in?? Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I have seen the PN sealer in Micheals - it usually has a blue label on it.

I know basic Krylon acrylic sealer is sort of screwy - I have had stuff run on me even after heat setting...

a really good sealer for wood (if you are interested) is the Krylon Fixif...I stamped wood using classic inks and I heat set them and sprayed with the Fixif - worked great with no runs....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you for the compliment. I get Patricia Nimock at WalMart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I thought I had this great idea to stamp letters and numbers using the alphadots on the 1x1" tiles. Then sell them at my first craft show that I signed up for.

I was really excited about it this morning and after telling a few friends I got the impression that maybe it's not the best idea.

My thought was that each square would be cheap enough that people would buy them. You know, kind of like going into the dollar store to shop...where you tell the kids they can buy 2 or 3 things and they are thrilled.

I don't know what to do now. I still like the idea. I just think my bubble got popped. I thought if I had something to sell that was inexpensive I could sell more. Kind of like when I go to a garage sale...the more I can get for a dollar, the better.

Thank you to all who gave me some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 08:28 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irene K
I thought I had this great idea to stamp letters and numbers using the alphadots on the 1x1" tiles. Then sell them at my first craft show that I signed up for.

I was really excited about it this morning and after telling a few friends I got the impression that maybe it's not the best idea.

My thought was that each square would be cheap enough that people would buy them. You know, kind of like going into the dollar store to shop...where you tell the kids they can buy 2 or 3 things and they are thrilled.

I don't know what to do now. I still like the idea. I just think my bubble got popped. I thought if I had something to sell that was inexpensive I could sell more. Kind of like when I go to a garage sale...the more I can get for a dollar, the better.

Thank you to all who gave me some suggestions.
I think it's an adorable idea! Kids could spell out their names, you could make ones with U, S, and A in red white and blue...HOW FUN!!!!

I am an advocate of "you won't know unless you try." So I say give it a try and see if it goes over well! I know personally if I didn't go with an idea like that, I would lose sleep wondering afterwards if I should have done it anyway!!!
Reply With Quote Likes