Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2008, 06:21 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Shower Goodies...please help!

Hi everyone. My SIL is pregnant with her (and our whole family's) first baby. I am going to make her shower invitations, but I would also like to make some favors and other things for the shower as well. Does anyone have any ideas? Since this is 'our' first baby, I am at a loss here. Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I read this and thought . . . hmmm . . . should be easy . . . . but it really isn't is it.

Is the shower going to be before the baby arrives? If so, you could play a couple of games . . . . have premade cards for . . . . guessing when will the baby arrive . . . weight . . . gender . . . etc . . . . Name the Baby . . . if they haven't already chosen names, etc.

Sometimes we'll play a game of some sort . . . . kind of like a christmas party gift grab. There is a stack of gifts (usually Dollar store variety) and a numbers draw to go pick your gift. You can't open your gift until the game is over. Each person can steal another persons gift if they think it might be better. When we played we used a deck of cards . . . you pull out one red set and one black set and deal them out until thery're all gone. Keep the other 2 sets to draw from . . . if a red 2 is drawn, then whoever has the other red 2 gets to go pick . . . you will eventually run out of gifts and this is where the fun (stealing) begins LOL Once all the cards have been drawn then everyone can open their gifts. BTW . . . it's possible to end up with more than one gift depending on how many you start out with vs how many people there are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I know many ladies here will have some great ideas...have you seen this gorgeous "bouquet" from mytime? You could use the same idea for a centerpiece...you can find easy directions for a diaper cake if you do a google search, they look pretty cool and a new mom can ALWAYS use diapers!!! Good luck..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks so much for these ideas ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Also this cute little project from notimetostamp:

Blogs at Splitcoaststampers

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Ok,let's see if I can describe this as it was described to me.. Take a nut cup (the stiff mini cupcake things) Put two cotton balls on one end (it looks sort of like a bunny now to me) Then wrap the whole thing in tissue paper. Squish( technical term) another nut cup inside the first nut cup which secures the tissue paper around the cotton paper. Decorate the "baby bootie" as desired and fill with a treat.

It sounded inexpensive and cute! My LSS shared this with me.

Have fun!
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Baby shower bingo is always fun....but make sure you have LOTS of little prizes to keep the game going. One thing you can do is base everything on the nursery theme, if it's Winnie the Pooh or lambs or something like that. I did a teddy bear tea for my SIL's baby shower, it was a big hit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I just did a baby shower that had males and females so we had to come up with some fun...interesting games if you need ideas!

1. Give everyone a paper plate and a pencil. Have them put the plate on their head and draw the best picture of a baby that they can draw without looking in 5 minutes. It is amazing what some people can do!

2. Place all type of baby "goodies" (pacifier, bottle, blocks, rattle, safety pin, diapers, etc) and as people are eating/talking, start removing the items one at a time without saying anything. Once all the items are removed, have everyone write down the items that had previously been sitting on the table.

3. This sounds gross but it is actually a blast depending on the group! Take 6-8 small diapers and place small amounts of melted candy inside the diapers. People have to guess the type of candy (ie snickers, andes mints, whoppers, etc)

As for baby favors, I LOVE doing baby favors and have lots of ideas in my gallery. Let us know if you have a theme and I am sure you will get lots of ideas

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

This was a huge hit at the last baby shower...secretly write down things the new mom says throughout the shower. Then, read the quotes back to the group beginning with "on the night baby was conceived, this is what (new mom's name) had to say..." Very funny...for instance, one of the comments at the party I attended was "oh, my mom would love this!" What a hoot!!

Another fun game is to put the baby items (pacifer, bottles, diapers, etc.) inside lunch bags, number the bags, and pass them around to the guests to feel, poke, etc. to figure out what's inside. Write down the answers and the one with the most correct would win.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Diaper cakes are great! I just started making diaper cakes as a business, but mine go beyond just "baby" diaper cakes. I also make over the hill cakes using depends. I am also making "wedding" cakes using towels and decorating with either flowers or bubble bath, candles, champange glasses, ect...

My diaper cakes are decorated with all things usable for the new baby. They are a great way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi...
I made the gifts for the games that matched the invitations and favors.
I covered a gift bag and included a stamped candle, acrylic post-it note holder, a set of gift cards and a set of gift tags.
The favors were a covered note-book and matching beaded pen in the same colors and design as the invitations.
They were all a big hit!
Have fun with it!

Tami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default BABY SHOWER

For my sister's shower, I asked everyone to bring a package of disposable diapers...all sizes. She had enough diapers to last more than one year!! That saved her a lot of $$.

At another shower I went to, the guests were asked to bring new books for children of all ages. Great way to have an instant library.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I helped host my sister's baby shower last fall. For favors, I made simple 2-4-6-8 boxes and put a couple of Hershey's nuggets in each one. I also made topiaries--I got the idea from the PaperCrafts Baby Creations edition. I have photos of everything on my blog:

www.chaoticcreativeness.blogspot.com

She didn't know if she was having a boy or girl, so we stuck with fall colors rather than traditional baby colors. Another thing I did was create a "Baby Blessings and Advice" book. I cut ivory paper to fit in a small album (5 x 7) that I had decorated to match the rest of the shower decor (I don't have a picture of it), and had each guest write either a word of advice or a blessing for my sister and her new little family (since some of the guests don't have children). It was a big hit and is a nice keepsake for her. We only played one game, too--the one where each guest cuts a length of ribbon that they think is the same size as the guest of honor's belly. It's a simple, non-messy game--and my 8-year-old dd won!

Good luck with the shower!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

These are all great ideas! I am giving a baby shower for my son's 4th grade teacher, with his whole class! I am having a little trouble figuring out what to do with kids this age (9 and 10 years old) and some of these ideas are terrific! Love them, keep them coming!

Other games I have played at baby showers:
1. Give each guest a long piece of string and have her guess how big the pregnant woman's stomach is around (not for a shy or self-conscious mother-to-be, though!) Give a prize to guest who is closest to her actual width.
2. Get a medium sized bowl and fill with mostly rice and a handfull of very small safety pins. Have each quest close his/her eyes (or blindfold them) and pick out the safety pins from the bowl. Give every guest the same amount of time and give a prize to the one who picks out the most (it is surpisingly hard to do!)
3. Baby food quessing game- Have several different kinds of baby food with the labels off and have the guests guess what kind of baby food is in the jar after tasting them! (Especially hard if you use the toddler kinds of food!) Give a prize to the guest who guess the most of them correctly.
4. Memory game- Have many (at least 20) baby related items arranged on a tray, show them to the party guests and then take them away after 1 minute. Have each guest write down what they saw on the tray and give a prize to the one who comes up with the most correct items.

The prizes you give can be either baby related (booties, hats, baby lotions, etc.) and the person is expected to give them to the mother-to-be, or they can be candles, bath salts, etc. that the party guest gets to keep for herself!

Keep up the good ideas ladies, I would love to be able to adapt some of these to my son's teacher's shower! I am really liking the "guessing game" in the paper sack, I think that would be easy to do with 24 kids!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I love the idea of giving the mom-to-be baby and toddler books! When a woman in my book club has a baby, we have one book group meeting that is a baby shower and the new mom-to-be gets nothing but kids' books! We allow used books in good condition, too and some book members give a whole stack of them to the mother, they always seem to love this shower! I almost always give at least one new book to all expectant mothers at the baby showers that I attend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, this was back in the day, before my stamping was very "developed" but... here is an idea for quick and easy shower favors, they are just wrapped chocolates in a small cello bag. The covers are Avery Labels stamped in the colors of the shower. The gals loved em.

Here's an adorable idea for little baby shoes, I'll do that the next time I have a baby shower to give:
Baby Shoe ~ Shower Favors! by megala3178 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Fantastic ideas!! I'm hosting my SIL's baby shower in March, so I'm lovin' all these fantastic ideas. Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Default baby shower

My daughter is expecting the family's first grandchild in April. We are doing a shower with the them "A Baby is Brewing". We took a photo of my very pregnant daughter and her husband holding coffee mugs for the front of the invitations. I found some darling party favors of small mocha scented coffee cup candles, and at the shower we will feature several different coffee flavors to go along with different desserts we are making. I am also altering 30 empty Starbucks coffee drink bottles and decorating them and filling them with pastel M&M's (thank goodness easter is around the corner, as I can get bags of these on sale after the holiday but before the shower). This "party favor" will also be a game where each guest will guess the number of M&M's in their bottles (all bottles will contain the same number). Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

One fun game I have played is when you take a basket and fill it with pairs of baby socks- all separated- and time how long it takes someone to find and fold all the pairs. Best time wins!
A lady with four small kids kicked all our bums at it...

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

My DDs BFF is having a baby boy soon, and asked if I would make the invitations to the shower. 45 of them!! Whew! I used the following stamp sets from SU and just went crazy. I didn't want them all to look the same, so you can imagine it took awhile!
Short and Sweet
Bundle of Joy
A New Little Someone
Very Punny

Good Luck and Congrats on the new arrival!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Default DIRTY DIAPER

For my daughter's baby shower, we made small diapers from white flannel. All the diapers had a white yogurt covered raisin in them, but one had a chocolate covered raisin! The diapers were glued together, decorated with a small bow and a safety pin was attached. The guests chose one and wore the diaper 'pin' until the point where they were asked to open their diapers. The dirty (chocolate covered raisin) diaper won the prize! The prize was a baby powder scented candle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Default stamping theme

I helped plan several showers at my church a few years. We were on a tight budget so I hand stamped invitation post cards. (cheaper postcards). I copied the basic info on one side, 4per sheet, stamped them and cut them apart. Then using the same stamp set ( I used babies firsts SU) to stamp the napkins and crepe paper streamers which we used to decorate the tables(twisted down the center). You could easily make thank you cards for the mother to match as well. If you need name tags they would be easy to stamp to match also. Of course if you do any games you could use the stamps to decorate the paper all in the same theme.

Jeni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Very Fun Game nobody will see coming! This kindof goes with putting different baby items on a tray, have the mom to be pass the tray around for everyone to take a look. Everyone will expect to have to write down what was on the tray, BUT, have the mom to be leave the room with the tray and not come back into the room until the game is over. Instead of asking the guests to list whats on the tray, ask questions about the mom to be. Nobody expects that. Sample questions would be: was the mom to be hair worn up or down? What color shoes was she wearing? Was she wearing jewlery? and so on. I had so much fun with that one.
Baby items word jumble: Make a list of baby items....use your imagination... scramble them up and have the guest unscramble the words.
One more: Write a list of 10 sentences taken from different nursery rhymes and havve your guess write down which nursery rhyme it came from. Do a little research for some older ones so it is not to easy. I have more, i hope this helps. Shawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 04:55 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Here's a link to the A Muse Weekly newsletter. These little treat bags would make darling party favors!

http://amusenews.typepad.com/weekly/...t-for-you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Default couldn't open

I couldn't get the link to the adorable baby shoes to open. If someone would please e-mail me the link I would be greatful....;)
[email protected]
TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

My brother and SIL are expecting twins in May and I am planning their baby shower. I made all the invites, 100 of them and will be making cut out baby carriage cookies for all the guests wrapped in a cello bag and tied with green and yellow ribbon. We don't know if they are expecting boys or girls so we went with a neutral color theme.

We are also going to play Babies Price Is Right. You buy as many items as you want (10 for example) and write the price on a card that you keep. Then have the guests as they arrive write down the cost of each of the items and put their guess into a basket, bowl, etc. in front of each item. Thee person that is the closest without going over wins a prize and all the of the items are put into a basket and presented to the Mom-To-Be at the end of the shower. We are doing 10 items, 2 of each because they are expecting twins. We have rattles, booties, onesies, I made each of the babies hooded Winnie the Pooh bath towels, books, etc. I was also able to get from my brother a picture of the first ultrasound and I will frame that with the price on that being "priceless".

For the prizes I am putting together a set of 8 notecards, a notepad, matching pen and a frappuccino bottle filled with Jelly Belly Flops.

We are also doing Baby Shower Bingo and using lotto tickets for the prizes. Cheap but fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

have you seen the adorable eggs on the papertrey blog? ADORABLE way to hold baby socks or other things!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Here are some ideas fo a diaper cake and buckets that you can make for decorations. Lots of places you could use stamping. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Ok hopefully the attachments are with this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Shower Goodies...please help!-picture-2-697-2-.jpg   Baby Shower Goodies...please help!-img_6095.jpg   Baby Shower Goodies...please help!-img_6090.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I bought all sorts of cute baby-themed paper, cut it into index card size squares, and had each guest write a wish for the baby, a favorite memory of the mom-to-be while she was pregnate, or just anything the guests would want to go in the baby book! While we were all gathered for games/opening gifts, each person shared what they wrote with the entire group. It was very special! I put them all together in a scrapbook, complete with page or two with pics from the shower -- ready for mom to use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:15 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Books

I heard a good idea somewhere??? On the invitations, ask the people invited that instead of bringing a card, to buy a little golden book (or other) and write in the front cover of it. They can write special messages to the baby, and sign their names as if it was a card. The baby will have a head start on books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Holy cow! Keep these great ideas coming! You all are WONDERFUL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

My SIL is also pregnant, but I live on the other side of the country. But Im still going to make her some baby thank yous and announcements. I found a hallmark card thats cut out like a diaper, so Im going to try to copy that. For a cute favor idea, maybe take a flower bulb, and stamp a box/tag to go with it. Maybe you could stamp a notebook, and have everyone write down tips and advise in it for the mom to be. A game we played at my shower was everyone had a necklace with a cute baby toy(like pacifer or baby pin) on the bottom and whenever someone said a certain word, say like baby, whomever called it first took that persons necklace and at the end of the shower, the person with the most necklaces got a prize(something stamp related??). I always try to make my invites super cute and memoriable so the invitie wouldnt lose it or forget about it, something they would want to display. Hope I was able to help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Tea bag holder- Baby Shower favor idea

I created these for my sister's baby shower this month....she LOVES tea so we thought it would be cute to use a tea bag for the favor.

I kept the design simple as I had to churn out 60 of these babies!

Just another idea

Last edited by Cammie; 03-10-2008 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We played the Price is Right game (described in a post above) and it was a huge hit. Everyone especially liked when we revealed what the price of each item was. The winner amazingly was someone without kids! The mom really loved the goodies too. Some of the things I remember getting for it were; rice cereal, bibs, jar of baby food, wipes, diaper cream and baby wash. You can customize it to anything though, even small things off of the registry. The winner got a bath and body works item and the mom got the items.

The diaper cake was also a huge success with the mom and the party guests thought it was really cool too.

I also made a diaper wreath that we put on the door (wasn't a surprise shower) that everyone loved too. There are pictures and directions for the wreath below.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Diaper-Wreath
http://www.creative-baby-shower-idea...er-wreath.html

For a favor I stamped and decorated candles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

subscribing so I can read this later with a notebook handy ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I helped my best friend plan her SIL's baby shower. We wanted something 'kid-like' that even people without kids would use. We did cookie recipes in a jar. We put the ingredients in mason jars, fabric to match our decor on the lids, the recipe on a tag with the shower info on the back of the tag. A big hit. People loved the cookies!
Reply With Quote Likes