Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope Is Stamp Set

I just have to vent a little and I figure this is a good place for it. As a Breast Cancer Survivor - I am appauled that Stampin'Up is charging $17.95 for a stamp set that should only be selling for $11.95 and only donating $2.00 to Breast Cancer research. I consider Stampin' Up to be mostly a women's corporation and as such we should be doing more than that. I am just curious if anyone else out there fells the same or if I am was off base. Thanks for letting me vent!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #2  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default hope is

I think we should be grateful that they are doing anything at all. Are you appalled that SU doesn't have a set for AIDS or Colon Cancer or Lung Cancer? I'm sure we have no idea of the cost of production and keep in mind that demos still get their commissions, so IMO we should be grateful that in a company full of so many women we can find the time to donate anything to causes that move many of us: Breast Cancer and Ronald McDonald.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was comparing my Hope is.. set to some of the other similar sized stamp sets that I have, from what I can tell the amount of rubber/wood used makes it comparable to a $14.95 set.. and the + $2 is the donation. I'd say it sounds fair and I'm just happy SU is doing their part.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/go/londonrain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I'm pleased with the Hope Is... stamp set, and with the price. It's not a small four-piece stamp set that would just be $11.95, for example like Itty Bitty Backgrounds. Something Marvelous is a four-piece stamp set, and is $17.95; Wildfowl is also a four-piece stamp set and is $17.95; Sun-Ripened II is three pieces for $17.95. And Wonderful Wings is four pieces, for $29.95. Yes, some four-piece stamp sets go for less - but Hope Is is right about where I'd think it would be, without the $2 donation.

Especially compared to some other fundraising products, I think $2 from a $17.95 price point is very good. (For example, there's a certain basket company that donates $2/special basket every year...on a $32+ basket. I've purchased some of those baskets, too - but I'm much happier with a $2 donation from a $17.95 stamp set - especially one I'd probably buy anyway. I think it's gorgeous!)

Happy Stampin' and Scrappin',
Susan Epler

Independent Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not a demo so I don't know what all comes with the set but I thought I read in a magazine it even comes with an inkpad. That sure makes it a good deal then. But then I could be wrong about the inkpad, I thought I read it in my Memory Makers magazine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I thought I read in a magazine it even comes with an inkpad
Sorry this is incorrect information! there is no free stamp pad included in this set from SU!

It is worth every penny! and it supports such a wonderful cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

the set is shown with a pink ink pad. It's great advertising, because I don't have a pink yet. Quess that ups the amount I'm going to be spending
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 05:14 PM   #8  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The set is bigger and is really lovely. Look at word stamos at craft stores-the three words (phrase, Love, Believe) at my nearby craft store in comparable sizes would be over $20-and then add the flowy heart the set would be almost $30.

The set really is lovely. I am sorry your initial reaction was disappointment, but looking at the samples in the gallery and then looking at the actual set and using it will probably make you more enthusiastic.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 05:20 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Default Hope Is...stamp set

I know how many feel about the cost of SU stamp sets and I have a few customers that don't like the mounting themselves part of it all. I just ask them if I can mount their stamps for them and it helps my sales out a lot to offer this option for them. The cost is another issue sometimes, but I ask them to take the cost of the stamp set and divide by the number of stamps in the set...the Hope Is...stamp set comes to $4.48 per stamp. I think that is a very reasonable price for a stamp considering that I have paid up to $20.00 for just one stamp before. I am also proud to be part of a company that can give a contribution to so many charities each year. I remember when 911 happened and SU made the God Bless Stamp and sales made it possible to donated over $1,000,000 to that fund. I can just imagine how well the Hope Is...stamp set will do and how the donations can help so many cancer patients. I don't feel the cost of the stamp set can measure up to the amount it will raise to help so many overcome such a devastation in a family.
I hope the Hope Is stamp set sales surpass all others.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default another thing...

Something to consider is that a lot of companies also put limits on their donations, such as 100,000 or what not. I don't believe Stampin' Up! has placed any limitations on this endeavor. It's $2 off the top for every set they sell. The set is worth every penny of the 17.95 with or without the $2.00 donation. Whether you like the set or not, SU! should be applauded for doing anything! Not only are they donating but they are creating interest in the cause, generating support for those that fight the battle and reminding women to be active in maintaining good health.
And I have heard of a few SU! demos that have had health or family issues and have received personal messages from Shelli. This company cares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

My reaction to the $2 was the same as yours at first. I don't know anything about the cost of production so from that point of view I can't really make a fair judgment.

Another thing to think about is the fact that this stamp set with help with the awareness of cancer and how important it is to get check ups and remain healthy. Also if people are selling cards they may be donating any profits to a cancer foundation of their choice.

Or think how good a current cancer patient or survivor may feel when they get a handmade card in the mail that is giving encouragement and helping people keep the fight up within themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I'm a demo and I'm also donating my commission to our local Relay for Life which puts money back into the local community for all cancer patients. Like others have said, SU didn't have to donate any money and they could have put a cap. That always gets me - like the M&Ms - I believe they cap their donations. So if you think about it, M&Ms keeps making money because people think they are donating by purchasing. I like the set and it is VERY versatile - more applications than just pink. The success of the 9/11 stamp was even bigger because they had all the materials donated and 100% of the sales went to the fund. I'm pleased with the amount of donation and I'm looking forward to selling lots of these sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 10:45 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Anyone know where I can see a pic of this stamp set?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The picture of the stamp set will be up at www.stampinup.com on Oct 1 for customers to see. Until then, you can see samples in the gallery under "Hope is". You can also contact a demonstrator to email you the flyer that is available to us. I don't think we are allowed to post the actual images, or the flyer, but any demonstrator can get it to you.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Like Theresa, I am donating my profits from Hope Is, as well as anything pink I sell in October. I have also gotten pampletes from the Cancer Society with info on Mamograms etc. to hand out that month. By SU supporting this charity, awareness is raised. That in itself is worth more than the donation.
Not only is the set is well priced, but it is fun to play with.

Heather In NY
Reply With Quote Likes