Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping top 50 hates me!

I don't know if anyone here can help me but I have an issue with this site. I registered my blog on it yesterday and I was at 146 yesterday and today, then tonight I'm at 499! How the heck does that happen? It was literally one minute one number and then the next another. Is the site going whacky or did I plummet in stats within seconds?

Also, I chose to have my stats private, so I assumed that would only put the badge on my blog but not the number. Is that right? How can I get just the badge without my number on it?

Thanks for any help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Wish I had some advice to offer. I've heard that this site is not the best for accuracy...maybe that is part of the problem you're experiencing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

It hates me too. I just took it off. lol
Maybe someone will have a better solution for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I know when I first had mine it did the same thing, I think it just needed time to figure out your stats or something, it'll level out and then your stats will get better because you have a great blog
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Wow, that made no sense, lmbo! Well, you get the point...haha!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I took it it off as well! It didn't keep up with my hits I would have several hundred a day and it would say 15 lol. I decided I don't need to be ranked to be happy so it's gone BTW I emailed them and never heard back. Good luck!
Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I took it it off as well! It didn't keep up with my hits I would have several hundred a day and it would say 15 lol. I had mine for several months and it stayed the same. I decided I don't need to be ranked to be happy so it's gone BTW I emailed them and never heard back. Good luck!
Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I know MANY others have had the same complaint, and never got a response back from them. Definitely not worth the hassle!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been wonky since they leveled the site stats at the beginning of the year.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Yep, I think I'm going to take it off too. I know I get around one hundred hits a day and it shows I get about 4! I hate watching myself slide further and further back...........so I'm just going to get rid of it and watch my counter instead! As long as I have visitors I'm happy!

Were evolution true, Mothers would have more than 2 hands!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

i'm still learning about this...but i think that the stats being private have nothing to do with the number that is shown in the box. I always thought that the top 50 were the ones without a number, and the rest of us get to show everyone else what number they want to label us with for that day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

If you just registered then the 149 ranking was a glitch. When I registered last year it started me out somewhere in the 400 and then I moved up. The total hits are cumulative for the year, so it would be very difficult for someone who just registered to have as many hits in one day as the person in place 149 had since the beginning of January.

Having said all that, the ranking, which hits do and do not register, and just about everything else with Stamping Top 50 is goofy. There was a time last year when you seemed to get 1 or 2 hits for every 100, and then it would go back to normal counting, and then back to 1 or 2 per 100. No rhyme or reason to it at all. I basically stopped worrying about the number. I didn't delete it off my blog because on occasion I still get visits from the stamping top 50 site, but I don't lose any sleep over the number either, regardless of whether it goes up or down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

The third time this happened to me I removed the widget.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Isn't there something about the number hits being the hits you get from people hitting your blog from the stamping top 50 site, not how many hits your blog gets per day?
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Geesh, this just doesn't sound like a good thing. I don't know 146 sounded reasonable to me because on someone elses blog they are number 200 and they have one of those "how much is your blog worth" widgets and it says their blog is $9,000. And when I enter my website it says it's worth $18,000, so it made sense to me that I would be at a number below 200.

Not bragging, just trying to figure this stuff out. But it seems like it's not worth it so I may just ditch it. It's like watching the number on the scale go up when your pregnant and you just stand there thinking, "how did that happen?" only there were no doughnuts involved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
Geesh, this just doesn't sound like a good thing. I don't know 146 sounded reasonable to me because on someone elses blog they are number 200 and they have one of those "how much is your blog worth" widgets and it says their blog is $9,000. And when I enter my website it says it's worth $18,000, so it made sense to me that I would be at a number below 200.

Not bragging, just trying to figure this stuff out. But it seems like it's not worth it so I may just ditch it. It's like watching the number on the scale go up when your pregnant and you just stand there thinking, "how did that happen?" only there were no doughnuts involved.
You blog may very well be a more often visited blog, in which case you will go up in ranking quickly, but when you think about it the method makes sense. There is no way for the Stampin top 50 widget to know how many people visited your blog before you installed the widget. So everyone starts at the bottom and them climbs their way up according to the number of hits their blog gets after they registered with the stamping top 50 site.

The problems come in when their "counting" method changes from day to day for no reason. This can either help or hurt, depending on the kind of day your blog is having. If for the first time ever you've gotten over 1,000 hits and the counter sees 10, obviously that's frustrating. But if for some reason you only had 100 visitors so you get counted 1 and the person with 1000 visitors gets counted as 10, well, that can keep you in the same place where otherwise your rank would have gone down.

About the only place where you truly get an accurate measurement is at the very top, because those sites get thousands and thousands of daily visitors so it really doesn't matter how the visitors are counted. For the rest of us, if you want an accurate ranking, Stamping Top 50 is probably not the right method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

And I still can't figure out how that "how much is my blog worth" thing works. It said mine was worth $14,000 and my personal blog worth $0.00. What is up with that. And I say if my blog is worth that much where is my check, lol!
(sorry didn't mean to highjack)
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrellView Post
And I still can't figure out how that "how much is my blog worth" thing works. It said mine was worth $14,000 and my personal blog worth $0.00. What is up with that. And I say if my blog is worth that much where is my check, lol!
:lol: I didn't even know my blog could be worth anything ... you learn something new every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Hey!! Not nice to talk about me behind my back! ;) lol K, so I had to go check and I've slipped back to #200!! I was up at 146 or so. Maybe we traded numbers???? lol

And on that note, I'm gonna go update my blog just so I can climb back up! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Personal blogs are always Priceless. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I don't know if anyone here can help me but I have an issue with this site. I registered my blog on it yesterday and I was at 146 yesterday and today, then tonight I'm at 499! How the heck does that happen? It was literally one minute one number and then the next another. Is the site going whacky or did I plummet in stats within seconds?

Also, I chose to have my stats private, so I assumed that would only put the badge on my blog but not the number. Is that right? How can I get just the badge without my number on it?

Thanks for any help!
Hi Elizebeth! I have had the same complaint and I don't think it is very reliable or accurate either. the entire year last year I stayed around 34 - 36 - then after january first it stuck me at #67 - overnight LOL i have anywhere from 800 - 1000 hits everyday so I am not exactly sure how that happened. I have been thinking about just taking it off and not even messing with it. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Isn't there something about the number hits being the hits you get from people hitting your blog from the stamping top 50 site, not how many hits your blog gets per day?
You're absolutely right. In the stamping top 50 terminology the number of hits equals the number of people who clicked through to ST50 from your site. the number of views is the number of people that visited your site. As near as I can tell, your rank is based entirely on the number of views, not the niumber of hits. Sorry for the confusion I caused using the wrong terminology.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's how it works.

Every hit you get, it registers and keeps a running total. It goes by total hits year to date and resets again in January.

So, you might have a very popular blog but it will be hard to get ahead of other popular blogs because they've logged more hits before you joined.

My problem with it is that it doesn't register the hits you get when people subscribe if you use godaddy. For example, let's say I have 4000 blog subscribers- when I do a new entry, my full entry go into my subscribers email box. Unless they comment, all of those views go unrecorded. Some blogs actually hit the site and register but godaddy.com does not.

So, it's really not an acurate method of tracking popularity, just actual hits to your blog. The more subscribers you have, the less hits you might have because you emtry go to them instead of them coming to you.

I believe that google reader and feedburner does create a hit to your blog so you get "credit" for it, but godaddy is a whole other animal. LOL!

Does that make sense? Don't use it as your only gauge of popularity. I know we all want to know if people are reading our posts, I mean why bother. It's a TON of work keeping up with a blog if nobody ever comes by. If you really want to see if people are reading your blog, give something away. LOL!
;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Okay, how do you know how many "hits" you actually get to your blog?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkleyturtleView Post
Okay, how do you know how many "hits" you actually get to your blog?
I track my blogs statistics through Google analytics. And besides that, the website is mine, not blogspot or typepad. My husband owns the server and runs it so he knows how much traffic I have because he get's detailed information about all the websites he designs. I have a statistic counter that is installed in my blog that tells me many things:

Unique hits
Pages looked at
referring sites
keywords used on search engines to direct people to my site
how long people stay on
hourly recaps of traffic

I've known my blogs statistics for the past 4 years, but I've only recently bothered to do the stamping top 50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Just to address the private issue. The number is shown on your blog, but when you go into the Top 50, only you can see the true stats. So no one can compare their's with yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
If you really want to see if people are reading your blog, give something away. LOL!
;)
Ain't that the truth! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everybody! I had installed it because I wanted to play with it and thought it might be good to register with the site, but I don't have patience for this kind of thing so I uninstalled it today.

I'll just keep using my regular "trusty" tracking resources and talking to myself, lol. If people reply I know they are looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Here's how it works.

Every hit you get, it registers and keeps a running total. It goes by total hits year to date and resets again in January.
Actually, ST50 can't tell how many "hits" you get to your site - just how many times their image is called up to your browser. So if the page doesn't load all the way or you don't have the badge on all of your pages it's not going to count those hits.

This is why ST50 says to put the badge as close to the top of the page as possible. The closer to the top the sooner the image will load and the "hit" will count.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

You can install a hit counter on your blog if you want to know how many hits you get. There are several different ones that can keep up with various different things. I a not sure of any of the sites but when you visit someone else's blog and see a hit counter just click on it and it will take you to the website. Or I guess you could google hit counter.
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
You're absolutely right. In the stamping top 50 terminology the number of hits equals the number of people who clicked through to ST50 from your site. the number of views is the number of people that visited your site. As near as I can tell, your rank is based entirely on the number of views, not the niumber of hits. Sorry for the confusion I caused using the wrong terminology.
Yep, the "hits" listed on ST50 are either people clicking into their site via the badge or out of their site via the link to your site.

Views are the number of times the image was called up to your browser.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

ST50 has gotten really frustrating this year. When they reset all the stats at the beginning of the year, everything went haywire.

Don't bother even trying to call or email them because they won't get back to you. Most times, your emails will just bounce back to you because their mailbox is full.

One thing I would LOVE to see is a ST50 blog page. I counted and realized that 22 of the top 50 sites are online ordering sites. Blogs move quickly down the list because online stores typically get more hits than blogs do. I'd love to see these separated. One top 50 list for stores. One top 50 list for blogs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh I would love to see them separated too. What a great idea.

And where is the badge on the splitcoast site. It is always number one (and should be) but if the theory about seeing the badge to count the "hit" is true how come I have never seen a badge on here or any of those online ordering sites.
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

And where is the badge on the splitcoast site. It is always number one (and should be) but if the theory about seeing the badge to count the "hit" is true how come I have never seen a badge on here or any of those online ordering sites.
The SCS badge is on their homepage way down at the bottom. I never log into the home page, though. I have my button on my tool bar set for the forums page because this is where I always come to.

The online ordering sites have their badges at the bottom of their home pages, as well.

I don't get the whole badge hit count thing, as most of the sites that are way up there on the list have their badges way down at the bottom of their sites.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

It is on the bottom left of the main home page.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Oooohhh
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm another blogger who removed the widget. Don't miss it at all. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMamaView Post
ST50 has gotten really frustrating this year. When they reset all the stats at the beginning of the year, everything went haywire.

Don't bother even trying to call or email them because they won't get back to you. Most times, your emails will just bounce back to you because their mailbox is full.

One thing I would LOVE to see is a ST50 blog page. I counted and realized that 22 of the top 50 sites are online ordering sites. Blogs move quickly down the list because online stores typically get more hits than blogs do. I'd love to see these separated. One top 50 list for stores. One top 50 list for blogs.
Love to see them separated - I don't blog enough to even contemplate one but I soon grew frustrated with trying to find blogs and only getting shops one day:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Well sheesh, I wish now that I would have asked people opinions before I installed it, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I just assumed because it was on soooo many blogs that it was a good thing.

And as far as hit counters on peoples blogs, a lot of them I have noticed don't count unique hits, just hits. So if I refresh the page 5 times it counts as 5 hits. I am more interested in unique hits not repeat visits, but that's just me. I like my behind the scenes stats and knowing who and why and how many are coming and going.

Last edited by ebethneu; 02-06-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: I was silly
Reply With Quote Likes