Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you overwhelmed or excited?

when you see all the new stamp companies and team designers coming up with their own new lines?

I came back from a 4 day visit with 2 of my sisters. I love to look at blogs (have over 100 on google reader) and look at the fave thread each Sunday.

That being said, I got home and had to some catching up to do. Obviously a lot is happening right before CHA, because I came across a whack of companies putting out a large number of new sets (e.g. Crafty Secrets with 9 or 11 new sets??), then new design team members with their own stamps (e.g.Papertrey); and my particular favorite, Anna Wight with her new line on Whipper Snapper (I know that one has been out for a bit). And tons of others. Like Lisa Strahl on CHF's site. Kim Hughes on CHF.

While I get all excited about this, it also has an opposite effect on me as well. I get overwhelmed and want to buy everything I see, thus continuing the ever increasing battle of the stamping budget. And my head actually spins with all the variety that is available for me to buy. And then I get stuck, put my wish list in a file folder and don't open it for a while to clear my head. And keep me sane. Fun part of the hobby, but I felt it was so much simpler and easier when I just did SU! 2 years ago.

I am a collector, as well as a stamper. I have to resign myself to this. The easy thing for me to do would be to stop looking at the blogs. But this is where I get a lot of my creative ideas, since the stamper explains in great detail how they made a particular card. Which they often do not do on SCS. (not a slight against SCS....love this place).

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I feel both ways. Add that to the fact that I am a Christian, I have to be concerned about good stewardship as well. This goes both ways, before DH retired from the superintendant business to go back to teaching, we had plenty of money. Did this mean I could but everything we could afford-NO-I'm greedy! Now, with two teacher's incomes, my budget is SMALL, and I still want it all!

It was easier before I quit SU! after seven years-my choice was SU! Now my choices are vast! I still have my own style and taste though. There are member companies here I will never buy from because I don't like their stamps. Having a limited budget makes me more careful about buying what I love.

Sometimes we do have to take a step back. I've taken breaks from SCS. I also think that the longer you stamp, the better you know yourself. I try not to rush out and buy everything that is cool, because what's cool will change soon enough!

I understand exactly what you are saying and what you are going through!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

it overwhelms me. I can't buy everything so I tend to just limit what I look at.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I feel both ways. Add that to the fact that I am a Christian, I have to be concerned about good stewardship as well. This goes both ways, before DH retired from the superintendant business to go back to teaching, we had plenty of money. Did this mean I could but everything we could afford-NO-I'm greedy! Now, with two teacher's incomes, my budget is SMALL, and I still want it all!

It was easier before I quit SU! after seven years-my choice was SU! Now my choices are vast! I still have my own style and taste though. There are member companies here I will never buy from because I don't like their stamps. Having a limited budget makes me more careful about buying what I love.

Sometimes we do have to take a step back. I've taken breaks from SCS. I also think that the longer you stamp, the better you know yourself. I try not to rush out and buy everything that is cool, because what's cool will change soon enough!

I understand exactly what you are saying and what you are going through!

I agree with being a Christian and good stewardship as well. It's not our money... it's His. It's important to be careful with the money He allows us to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I'm overwhelmed! I limit what I look at, only because I don't want to be tempted to buy more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a lot of people on this board think they HAVE to purchase stamps, paper, ink, etc. that each company (seems Stampin' Up is the biggie) just because it's new or what they consider "in".

So many also seem to want to get rid of stamps especially, just because some company retired them. That to me seems so ridiculous. I can understand the Demonstrators/Consultants have to have some current items, but not everything. But then again, they entered into the business knowing that.....it's part of being a businessman in that line.

Non Demonstrators/Consultants should be purchasing what they like and feel they would have a reason to use. With that being said, then why they need to get rid of stamps or ink just because a company no longer carries it make no sense to me. If you liked a stamp or ink color when you purchased it, why would you not like it 6-12 months from now? That's where I feel people are wasting their money.

When I think about purchasing a stamp, I consider what I would use it for.....what occasions or situations. If I can't come up with at least 3 reasons, then I don't purchase the stamp. As far as ink colors go, I would think you would purchase the colors you like and would use. For instance.....I don't like blue or anything that resembles that color. Therefore I wouldn't purchase any blue ink, paper, etc for any reason. I tend to use earth colors and make my stamps work with those colors. I'm not into pastel colors either. But I do have several flower stamps. I just use the colors of ink and markers I have to color these stamps. It makes for some very beautiful designs for my cards.

My opinion is purchase what you like and not just because someone or company is coming out with something new. Many times the "new" stuff is very similar to the "old" stuff. Just how many flower or swirl stamps can one person use?

Again, these are just my opinions and certainly are not shared by everyone.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
when you see all the new stamp companies and team designers coming up with their own new lines?

I came back from a 4 day visit with 2 of my sisters. I love to look at blogs (have over 100 on google reader) and look at the fave thread each Sunday.

That being said, I got home and had to some catching up to do. Obviously a lot is happening right before CHA, because I came across a whack of companies putting out a large number of new sets (e.g. Crafty Secrets with 9 or 11 new sets??), then new design team members with their own stamps (e.g.Papertrey); and my particular favorite, Anna Wight with her new line on Whipper Snapper (I know that one has been out for a bit). And tons of others. Like Lisa Strahl on CHF's site. Kim Hughes on CHF.

While I get all excited about this, it also has an opposite effect on me as well. I get overwhelmed and want to buy everything I see, thus continuing the ever increasing battle of the stamping budget. And my head actually spins with all the variety that is available for me to buy. And then I get stuck, put my wish list in a file folder and don't open it for a while to clear my head. And keep me sane. Fun part of the hobby, but I felt it was so much simpler and easier when I just did SU! 2 years ago.

I am a collector, as well as a stamper. I have to resign myself to this. The easy thing for me to do would be to stop looking at the blogs. But this is where I get a lot of my creative ideas, since the stamper explains in great detail how they made a particular card. Which they often do not do on SCS. (not a slight against SCS....love this place).

This thread you started a while ago had some very helpful ideas about staying away from SCS and blogs and resisting temptation, etc..

Sounds to me like you may have to stop coming here for a while (I know, impossible, right?? lol) or all together, and like you mentioned above, maybe take some blogs off your Reader;)

Most importantly we just have to be happy with what we have on the inside to truly be happy, KWIM? The material things don't matter. You never know what kind of life that person with every crafting tool and stamp set really has...

HTH

PS
there are always tons of people willing to trade their unwanted treasures for your unwanted treasures on the BST Forums! That way you have "new" as much as you choose.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with Patti in a sense, but am still overwhelmed. No, I don't want everything new, but it makes the purchase decision so much harder. Ie, if I want to buy a new baby set, before I would go to the SU catalog, pick my favorite and it was a done deal. Now, I'm cruising through tons of companies that all have gorgeous sets. How does one pick just one?

Choice is great, but it makes life difficult sometimes. Then again, I'm one of those people who get overwhelmed trying to buy shampoo and toothpaste, so I tend to favor simplicity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to think I had to have it all. Now, I limit my choices in a very artificial and contrived way but hey, it works for me. ;) I basically only buy from three companies. That way, I don't get sucked into looking at everything. It also means I miss out on a lot, too. But it really keeps me from going into debt for a hobby and means I am more likely to use everything I get rather than just collecting. For some people, collecting is important, but for me, it's the usefulness of something that makes it worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I read somewhere, unrelated to stamping, that the more choices we have, the more unhappy we get. Now, obviously this is a huge generality and some choice is healthy. But too much of a good thing can really be too much.

I try to remember that my favorite design team bloggers are not paying for much of what I see on their blogs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Overwhelmed...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Really overwhelmed!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Default Overwhelmed at times.

At first I wanted it all and tried to get everything especially if it was on sale or great buy. Now I'm trying to be a bit more choosy and only get the things I really really love. I don't have the extra money to spend on everything so I really have to think it out and save up for that special stamp set I want or item I want to use. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed at the clutter from stamping and making cards makes. It really brings my creativity down. So I hope one day to get everything in place so I can enjoy scrapbooking and cardmaking more. Sometimes I think that less is more and I enjoyed it more when I had less to pick from if that makes any sense...... :() Happy Stamping !!!!! Beckaroni

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
This thread you started a while ago had some very helpful ideas about staying away from SCS and blogs and resisting temptation, etc..

Sounds to me like you may have to stop coming here for a while (I know, impossible, right?? lol) or all together, and like you mentioned above, maybe take some blogs off your Reader.
LOL! Yup, I have not forgotten about that thread. The only difference is I AM watching my budget this time. But I am still having problems with wanting things and a spinning head, because I have too many choices available. I know the answer. Get off the site, get off the blogs! I can't do it. I cuts me off from my creative ideas and inspiration.

I'm hooped (mentally, that is)! Financialy, at least I have my budget, which I am sticking with. If only I could get my mind to relax and not get so wound up over all the wonderful goodies I see!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I read somewhere, unrelated to stamping, that the more choices we have, the more unhappy we get. Now, obviously this is a huge generality and some choice is healthy. But too much of a good thing can really be too much.

I try to remember that my favorite design team bloggers are not paying for much of what I see on their blogs!

That is so true! One of life's many paradoxes I guess.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I get excited but I'm also really picky about what companies I buy from. I like the stamps that are offered by some, but I'm just not willing to buy them and start another collection.

I look at CHF, Bellas and Whipper snapper all the time but I refuse to buy them. I have too many other companies that I want to spend my money on.

Nothing wrong with those companies, I just don't want to give in and be tempted, KWIM?

But I am BEYOND excited for the new Papertrey stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

overwhelmed!

BUT I think I've spent LESS on stamping since the market got flooded- there are so many choices that I just can't pick- so I really haven't been buying much at all.

I look at Bellas and papertrey all the time- but I've never bought any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

That is a very valid point about Christian Stewardship. I like to think that my passion for stamping is also a mission because I like to send cards to people who are in hospitals, shut-ins, etc. but there has to be a limit. So what I try to do is look at the ideas created by new stamps and use what I already have to create a card that is similar, using the technique. I like the acetate trend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Another overwhelmed, overexcited, over budget stamp collector here! I have so many stamps that have never seen ink, so I have to tell myself to just go shopping in my own closet, before I order anything new. I have yet to jump on the cuttlebug, copic or nestbilities wagons, so I would have a lot to do to catch up with many others.
However, I have gotten many compliments on my cards since I started checking out this site and the blogs, so I do feel they have helped my creativity. I just need to keep within my limits and use what I have....

Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love all the choices! It means the industry is not on it's last leg. Funny, while there are less and less stamp stores, there are more and more stamps (and accessories) to choose from. And somebody's got to keep them all in business. ;)

Seriously, while there are a lot of choices, there are an awful lot of "repeats" (similarities from one company to another). As someone said above, there are companies I won't buy from just because they're not my style. I guess you just have to use whatever method works best for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I can totally relate to the "want it all" feeling - there is GREAT product out there!!! So, to help my need to have it all I joined the WishRAK forum.

There we can trade images of those stamps we would really like to "try before we buy". Some images I received I absolutely loved and therefore purchased the stamp because I KNOW that I will use it for other projects. Then there are other images that I requested through WishRAK that I thought I would use often, but don't; therefore saving me the purchase of the actual stamp.

When I purchase a stamp that I "can't live without" I inevitably will WishRAK it (the image) to someone else.
Share the happiness (or addiction?) I say!!!

Last edited by Pinky66; 02-04-2008 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I'm excited for all the business owners and design team members, but for me personally, I become even less inclined to buy. Not sure why. I know I'm a very picky shopper.

For example, I have wanted to buy a sentiments set for a few months now. I have three sets from three different companies that I'm looking at. But I'm just letting the decision sit for the time being. Once a week or so, I compare them again, thinking about which one has the most uses for me and then just leave it again for another while.

I think I'm also waiting to see if the company I choose to buy from has another set that I like and then I'll buy two sets and save on shipping that way.

Seems crazy, I know. But I'm just very cautious about spending money, especially online.

barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

It's definitely overwhelming. I made the decision at some point last year though to limit myself drastically and I'm happier because of it. I've now cut the number of companies I'm buying from (including paper, embellishments, stamps) to 4. I don't feel limited at all, and I'm much happier with what I do have. I was swimming in vast amounts of paper, too many stamps, etc. I'm now challenging myself more with what I do have and I've set my own spending challenge. For example I can buy one sheet of patterned paper for every 10 I use (I have a lot of paper), unless I can think of 10 different times I'll use a stamp or set I don't get it, I'm decluttering what I no longer use and it feels good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #24  
Swapper of the Month July 2012

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

So true - sometimes it's hard to keep your feet firmly on the ground! You can really go broke with all the "new and improved" items that seem to hit the market at an alarmingly quick rate! And yes, I think I would agree that sometimes the more we have we tend to lose sight of WHY we are doing what we do! We all started crafting for the joy, a creative outlet and friendships we can forge with a "shared" craft! Now it seems it's no longer us sitting in our craft rooms creating for happiness, it's creating under pressure with the all important "stamp of the day", isn't it?!

That's not to say I've not fallen pray to the "stamp of the day" hype - I am not perfect!! ;) But, I have learned over the past year - the stamp of the day is just that. I now bring home, only those items that make me smile (and giggle) and items that I can honestly say I will be able use (and want to use)for years to come and not just days to come. Hard sometimes to be honest with yourself, but easier than living a life hiding all the purchases you've made without wanting DH to know about!!

I agree, with time you find what your style is and then it becomes easier to walk away from some items, even though they are really cute!! You know they are just not "right" for you personally. All I can say is stay strong and most important stay true to yourself and your style - try not to let pressured hype suck you in!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

So much great advice here! I'm subscribing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think the most important thing for everyone is to evaluate your stamp choices....maybe for some it is wise to think on a stamp set for a few days before you purchase and make sure it is not the hype that makes you buy but rather the stamp.

I, for one, am excited to see all the growth in the stamping industry. There are LOTS of companies to choose from. I used to be a SU gal, but stopped buying a lot from them because they discontinue their stamps so often. (The worst feeling is to have a card accepted for publication and then realize it cannot be used because it has a retired stamp image on it!)

I am thrilled and excited for all the new designers out there and all of the growth in the stamping world. The most discouraging thing I see in the stamping world is the negativity towards new stamp companies (and people). That, to me, is the most negative thing on SCS. Unfortunately, some stampers do not have good intentions and that has caused me to take some breaks from SCS...maybe that would be the best thing for you as well. Take a breather and then come back and it might be easier for you to filter out the hype!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I actually started to respond about an hour ago and then erased it and went to get something to eat. (I always think better on a full stomach.) LOL! Now I'm back and I want to say a few things.

1. The idea of sneak peeks and release type parties have been going on long before any of the newer stamp companies came along. None of us hold any copyrights there! The whole concept was first brought about with Stampin' Up. SU would sneak peek stamp sets in their Success magazine and the frenzy would begin at convention. If you've ever been to an SU convention, you know it used to be the biggest release party of all! LOL! That's where we would get our catalog before anyone else. You had to "be at the party" to get your first peek. I know they have changed that now but that really was so much fun!

2. I have heard people say on different threads that they threw stamp sets in their cart and paid for them at different online stores before they even looked at the stamps! They were afraid they would sell out so they bought first, looked later. To me that's just silly! First of all, you should really love what you buy and you wouldn't know that unless you actually look at it first and second, if a stamp set is that popular that it sells out, you can rest assured that the company will order more so you will still be able to get it.

3. The opportunities that stamp companies have given new artists are great! I remember shortly after I brought on Jason Sampson and Carolyn King, CHF brought on Asela Hopkins. Then, Kim Huges. Prior to any of us, Anna Wight was designing for Whipper Snapper. This isn't a new concept so nobody should worry about this changing the stamping industry. It's been going on for a looooong time. Think about it this way- If someone has the money to buy three stamp sets, just because a company has new artists doesn't change that fact, it only means that they will have more choices on where to spend their money. They can use that as an opportunity to really look at what they're buying. They should make sure it's not more of the same old thing they already have but rather something new and fun for them.

4. Don't get caught up in the "everybody's buying this company or that company so I have to also" kind of thing. You don't have to buy it because everyone else is. Didn't your Mother tell you that? LOL! Buy what you love.

As a stamp company owner, and I think I can speak for some of the other owners that I know, love and respect, we don't ever want our release parties, announcements or previews to ever stress you out. We want it to be fun for you. That's all. Just fun and full of ideas, many of which can be used with stuff you already have. Remember, you can color, emboss, stamp on tiles, acetate and anything else with stamps you already own. Use the ideas for fun and when you find something you really love- then buy it.

Denise, you know I love you and we've talked on the phone a few times! Don't stress it sweetie! Just have fun!

Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I only buy stamps from SU and am overwhelmed by the new catty so I cannot imagine buying from other companies, I would be over whelmed and not buy anything. That is what I do when overwhelmed I just don't buy because I am not sure what to spend my money on, a set I like or one that is unlike any I have (easter, valentines,wedding).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
The most discouraging thing I see in the stamping world is the negativity towards new stamp companies (and people). That, to me, is the most negative thing on SCS. Unfortunately, some stampers do not have good intentions and that has caused me to take some breaks from SCS...maybe that would be the best thing for you as well. Take a breather and then come back and it might be easier for you to filter out the hype!

Good luck!
That is very good advice, about SCS. Besides member company forums which have stayed positive because the people who frequent them LOVE the company, I seldom come on the regular forums. I visit maybe once or twice a week to see if there's anything "good".

But this site is definately dangerous for enabling and feeling like you HAVE to have something.

I reguarly clean out my stamps, if they havent been used in the past 3 months then I decide if they should stay or not. Most of the time they are not worth keeping so I sell them, which then get's me new stamps! Although I've only ever sold SU stamps and not the smaller companies so I guess that says something (to me) about what I purchase and what I love.

Hmmm, I just had an "a-ha" moment posting my own comment, LOL!!! Sorry if I hijacked this, I thought I had something constructive to add.

(nevermind the crazy stamper who is on a steady stream of nyquil!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm odd and unusual...OK, I am!... but I have another 'O' choice to add to the choices of overwhelmed or overexcited--

I am oblivious in many ways. I can look at new things and not really 'see' them, not want them. I am such a SU customer that I even now with all these avenues to see and buy products, I don't bother with anything else. And if SU isn't to my taste sometimes-last summer, for instance, I just wait it out and hope for better next catalogue.

I don't purchase anything online so that also helps me not get caught up with every new thing out there.

And the stewardship issue is often on my mind as well. Thanks for putting it succinctly for me!
Reply With Quote Likes