Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To demo or not to demo...

Hello ladies...I'm considering becoming an SU demonstrater...wanting to know the scoop...pros, cons, good, bad, ugly....please tell....I'm a kindergarten teacher and have six/seven weeks off in the summer...let me know how many of you work full time and demo....stay home and do it...please give me the details b/c I don't want to get into something I can't handle...thanks!!!

Last edited by stampinandscrappin; 01-31-2008 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: grammar
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not a demo right now but I was one for three years and all I can say is, you've got absolutely nothing to lose. You get a great starter kit for a great price and it is literally a business you can run on your own time.

If you don't feel like having any workshops, don't. If you can get some regular customers such as fellow school teachers, then you don't even need to hold workshops. You could hold open houses at your own house during the summer and get some customers that way. I'd say go for it because it's a win win situation. Worst case, you can't meet your minimum and you lose your status as a demo. Chances are that won't happen. I had no trouble keeping up my minimum for three years with just a few customers to help me.
I quit because I wanted to, not because I had to. In my final year and a half I had a hostess club which met once a month. That was fun for everyone and kept me going. Truly there is only as much pressure as you let yourself feel

Sibylle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SibylleView Post
I'm not a demo right now but I was one for three years and all I can say is, you've got absolutely nothing to lose. You get a great starter kit for a great price and it is literally a business you can run on your own time.

If you don't feel like having any workshops, don't. If you can get some regular customers such as fellow school teachers, then you don't even need to hold workshops. You could hold open houses at your own house during the summer and get some customers that way. I'd say go for it because it's a win win situation. Worst case, you can't meet your minimum and you lose your status as a demo. Chances are that won't happen. I had no trouble keeping up my minimum for three years with just a few customers to help me.
I quit because I wanted to, not because I had to. In my final year and a half I had a hostess club which met once a month. That was fun for everyone and kept me going. Truly there is only as much pressure as you let yourself feel
I agree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a demo and I work full time. I decided I hated doing workshops so much crap to lug around. Anyway, I rather do an occasional stamp a stack or card buffet in my home and that is much better. I do not have a club or anything but I am happy where I am at. I love getting to order things in advance of non demos and getting such great ideas in the Stampin Success and other tools offered and the demo side of SCS. It is nice to have the discount and I give it to all my family and friends. I was not in to make money. Anyway, I do what works for me. I hope I did not offend anyone when I said lugging crap around...I love all my crap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not offended sitting here in my pile of crap!

Definitely go for it! As the others have said, you really have nothing to lose. And signing up during Sale-a-bration (2/1/08 through 3/17/08 ) is a really really good idea! :mrgreen:

And just think of the cute little things you can send home with your students for different holidays, and their mommies will ask WHERE did you get that adorable thing? And the kids will tell you their mommies want to learn how to make it! Instant customers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I say go for it too! Not only is the starter kit an excellent deal, but you can choose how much time/effort you want to put into your business. If you want to do workshops (a lot of demos work full time and still manage workshops) you can. If that's too much for your schedule you can hold classes or start a club. Good luck on your decision!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I just heard that the Starter Kit will be 20% off during SAB! That's in addition to a free stamp set. That's a better deal than when I signed up to get the free inks last Sept.

I've been more successful than I thought, but then I keep spending too so I am really not making money. But you can if you are disciplined about your purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Nothing to lose...you get great supplies and resources to help you succeed. If you decide it is not for you, you keep all the great stamping products.

There is the free stamp set and the 20% discount on the Starter Kit during SAleAbration to consider. Fantastic time to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I should add that I am a SAHM to one so I do have a little time on my hand. But I not aggressive about getting out there either. I had friends who were purchasing from my Upline before I signed up and I knew they would come with me if I signed up and that was my reassurance that I could make the minimums.

I have a hostess club with 8 people and then I try to hold one class/camp/etc. a month. I have had a few workshops, but not a lot.

But worse case scenario, you don't get any sales at all. You still have a bunch of great stuff that you got for a great deal with no obligation to do anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapshappenView Post
I just heard that the Starter Kit will be 20% off during SAB! That's in addition to a free stamp set. That's a better deal than when I signed up to get the free inks last Sept.

I've been more successful than I thought, but then I keep spending too so I am really not making money. But you can if you are disciplined about your purchases.
Where did you hear this? I don't see it on the SU! website. I don't think I've ever seen a discount on the Starter Kit! Wow! That would really be a huge deal!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to my SAM, it will be posted tomorrow -- but the 20% special has indeed been confirmed. What a great time to sign up, get free stamps AND save money... that's a pretty WIN-WIN scenario

Caroline in TO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have a full time job and am a demo. I LOVE it! I have a decent customer base and it pays for my addiction! Find a good upline and you'll do great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
I have a full time job and am a demo. I LOVE it! I have a decent customer base and it pays for my addiction! Find a good upline and you'll do great!

Ditto this...plus you have your first full quarter to make your first minimum...

So say you sign up the beginning of Feb...you get to pick what stamp sets you want (+ or lesser value) and choose colors for pads, markers, paper...IN ADDITION you get ANY stamp set in the Catty for FREE as a bonus...and then rumor has it an extra 20% OFF your starter kit...great deal...

So then what???

You can do nothing...if you want...

or

You can place a workshop order ($150+) anytime in the first 45 days of your demoship and recieve an extra 10% in instant income...

Sell $300 in products (to yourself or others) by June 30th to remain an active demo...

Don't sell $300 in products by that time...you are simply dropped as an active demo...

Best thing to do would be to find a good strong upline who will sit down with you and go throguh all the in's and outs of being a demo...

but really nothing to loose...you do have to pay for the start kit but is has well over $350 in products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! Caroline, thanks for that great news! I can't wait to share it with my customers!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is the free stamp set and the 20% discount on the Starter Kit during SAleAbration to consider. Fantastic time to try! Wish I had a possible recruit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't mean to hijack but how do you find an "up-line"? Can it be the person I have been purchasing from or are their designated up-lines?

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

My demo works FT as one my extraordinary aides. She started a club that I joined starting my addictive habit. She now has two clubs that meet monthly for 10 months. I was one of her best customers until I became a demo myself. I am basically a hobby demo with very few customers who help to make the minimum - though I have never had any trouble making the minimums on my own. I am a school superintendent with NO time to do anything other than school. We together do all kinds of things at school to get the staff involved. This week on 100th day we made 100 valentines to send to the troops using our stamps and paper. Some of the kids were really creative. You would be surprised at the number of kids/parents who will become interested. Last year, each staff member made an 8x8 scrapbook page for an expectant teacher. That stimulated a lot of interest. Regardless, if you use the supplies for school, they are tax deductible as an education expense. Sign up and take advantage of the specials. Absolutely nothing to lose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I love it because you can take it to whatever level works with your life. I have been a demo for 3 1/2 years and have really love it. Getting a chance to get new stamp sets early is a great perk!!

my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
Don't mean to hijack but how do you find an "up-line"? Can it be the person I have been purchasing from or are their designated up-lines?
Whatever SU demo you sign up with is considered your upline, and you are their downline.
You can sign up with your current demo and she'll be your upline, or it can be any other demonstrator.
It's a good idea to have your upline be someone you're comfortable with, since she should be the person you go to with questions etc.
If you are planning to really work your business you'd want an upline that will provide lots of help and training for you while you get going. If you're more hobby-oriented it's still fun to have a stamping friend... but you never know; your business might just take off!

To the original post:
I'm probably half "hobby demo" and half "business demo" --- I'm happy being my own customer but I do workshops when the opportunity presents itself. I don't have another job so time isn't too much of a factor for me, except when I have a weekend workshop I have to figure out what's going on with my kids for that time.

Summer sounds like it would be a great time for you to focus on your SU business... SU minimums are $300 per quarter. Are you comfortable meeting that amount yourself during the busier times of your year? I've found that besides sale-a-bration time, summer and fall are my bigger sales times. For my customers, the new catalog in summer is really exciting because most of us do have more time to stamp then, and in October everyone starts buying supplies for their holiday cards. So these times, I don't have to think about that minimum but sometimes I buy stuff myself to meet them... and that's fine with me; I went into it thinking that if I didn't find any customers I could do it myself OK. I would add that while I don't have tons of customers, I have many more than I originally had intended.

I LOVE the extra benefits of being a demo. The demo website has tons of tips, ideas, projects, etc. I'm listening to a recorded training teleconference right now, and these are really informative.The monthly demo magazine is fantastic and I look forward to it every month. I get a free copy of every catalog and mini catalog. I get my hands on new stuff a month before it "comes out" which is a big thrill! Don't forget the 20% discount on all the toys, and if you reach certain higher amounts of sales you get even more. There are other rewards programs as well, and sometimes we get a free stamp set for no reason, yay! I am not a super outgoing person but I have met such nice people since I started doing this! Both customers and other demos. Oh and there's a demos only forum here on SCS that is awesome! If you ever have a question it gets lots of attention and replies right away here.

SU does have a message board place on their website but things are posted very slowly, so that would be a con. I always get replies quick quick quick here on the demo forum and that just doesn't happen on SU. Another con, and this is really not a huge deal, is that once we demos know something is coming we are very impatient to get it, so sometimes delays really tick people off. But I think this is true with any company, you know?

One other big plus is the convention in summertime. There are thousands of demos there and classes and make & takes and sample boards and cool presentations and tons of fun! There are also smaller one-day regionals at different parts of the country and they are great too.

I love being a demo. I have so much fun with it. I think if you love stamping you will too. And remember what someone else said, if you don't meet your minimums, OK, you're just dropped... you don't have to return anything and you won't be stuck with inventory. You can change up some things in your starter kit, and that is a purchase, yours to keep whether or not you continue as a demo.

Good luck -- SAB is a good time to sign up -- free stamp set plus a discount on your kit. Let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
Your "upline" is the person you sign up through. It can be your regular demo; if you're comfortable with her and the way she does business, you probably should at least talk with her about it. If you have certain goals to meet--like doing SU! as a business or earning the cruise--you might want to be sure your demo is willing and able to guide you; some demos have great downline training programs already in place, others are happy to work with you one-on-one, and some really don't want any recruits. If you have any questions at all about your current demo's honesty or business practices, find another demo in your area to sign up with. It's OK to ask questions of any potential upline before you sign up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Just curious, how much is the US starter kit?

Here in Canada we only get 10% discount on the starter kit!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraptrapView Post

The US starter kit is $199 (before the 20% discount).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

I am a school superintendent with NO time to do anything other than school. We together do all kinds of things at school to get the staff involved. This week on 100th day we made 100 valentines to send to the troops using our stamps and paper. Some of the kids were really creative. You would be surprised at the number of kids/parents who will become interested. Last year, each staff member made an 8x8 scrapbook page for an expectant teacher. That stimulated a lot of interest. Regardless, if you use the supplies for school, they are tax deductible as an education expense. Sign up and take advantage of the specials. Absolutely nothing to lose![/quote]

Boy do I wish you were my superintendent!!!...

Thanks ladies...keep the comments coming...so far I'm thinking I'll jump on it now since the sale (how about that 20 percent off...that's a sign I think...hee hee)...

I use the stamps for school too...I currently make a scrapbook for each student for the course of their Kindergarten career (the paper bag albums)...so using the stamps is not a problem...and I LOVE the idea of 100 cards for valentine's day (our 100 day isn't until next Wed...)

Ok ladies...have to run....got to get ready for work (we had a two hour delay b/c of freezing rain today)...I'm as bad as the kids...two hour delay...woo hoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Do it!!! :-)

I'm teach 2nd grade and just signed up. I'm having a ball at the moment, I'm very new at it and am just getting ready to place my first workshop order. I can already tell that I will have to be very careful about not spending all my instant income on goodies for me! I love the valentine's idea, my kids know I scrap, but we've not done much in class with stamps. (They do think my Cricut is the coolest toy ever!)

Good Luck, you will love it!

P.S. They changed our 2-hour delay to a closing! Yippee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I echo in - Do it!

I became a demonstrator in 1995 - and have loved most all of it! With any 'job' there can be "those days" but the good far outways the bad.

My daughter was just one when I signed up - and is now in 8th grade. You adapt your business to the time you are in, do what you can for the time you find yourself in now. Life changes. My life is nothing like it was when I signed up - but I have been able to adapt and mold it to fit.

I have the absolute best friends from it too - that is the best perk of all.

For $159 + a free stamp set - you have nothing to lose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If the kit isn't a hardship, go for it. You really can't lose. But, as others have said, decide how you want to work it and pick an upline that will help you make your goals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I joined direct here in the UK with no upline as SU has only just arrived- I would say this- join! you will have a grace period before your 1/4ly minimum kicks in which should see you through the summer and as others have said the kit- with the discounts and other offers in the USA this month is a great buy even if you decide to just stay at HD level. On the demos side of SCS there will be a wealth of resources to inspire you.
I know as a teacher time will be a big factor for you, but if you can spare 3 hours every 7-10 days you will really enjoy the bussiness side.
As a relative newbie- I say take the plunge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

As everyone has indicated, this is the best time to move off the fence and join. You really have nothing to lose. The starter kit is a great value and at 20% off this month,its an even better value. Plus during SAB you can pick another stamp set for free. If you choose one of the big ticket stamp sets (and why not-its FREE!) between the starter kit discount and the free stamp, its an $80 value!!!!

Call your demonstrator today, or better yet, visit her website and join online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I am so glad you asked this question. I am thinking I might join just because I spend so much money already I think I could support myself:rolleyes:

Well I emailed my demo I will wait and get her opinion.

My biggest worry is not being able to meet my minimums. I don't really know anyone but then maybe that will be just the excuse I need.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraptrapView Post

You're getting the 20% now as well!

Great time to sign up. I work full time and still fit it in.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I was off and on about signing up, sure I was going to do it today, but now I need extensive work on my teeth, so I wasn't going to do it. But heck with the discount, if I don't make any sales and can't purchase because I am paying for teeth, then I got a good deal on the kit. I am going to try to make it a go, because I love SU. So I say why not. I am signing up on March 14th with my work bonus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Is
there a list somewhere of what comes in the starter kit?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #33  

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/556.asp Here you go! (OK, it's not a list, it's a picture!) You can choose the stamp sets, ink pad colors, and paper colors you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus then you can get in the demo only area on SCS. I want in there, I'm SURE that's where all the best threads are.

*is jealous*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Plus then you can get in the demo only area on SCS. I want in there, I'm SURE that's where all the best threads are.

*is jealous*
Don't hate us because we're demonstrators! Tee hee! Come on in, the water's fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Default On the fence

I am still trying to make up my mind about becoming a demo. For me, it would probably just be to save some $$ on stuff for myself. I have seen a couple of Canadian SU demo's blogs that they are offering a free Sale-a-Bration set if you sign up under them. Is that a personal choice or I wonder if it's something just offered in Canada since I didn't see any US demos offering it. And what if I decide I can't meet the minimums at the end of the quarter - is there a penalty?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Default one more thing...

When does the Spring Mini come out - I read that your free set can be from the regular catalog or the Spring Mini one (or whatever it is called now). I wonder if that might be worth waiting for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I am still trying to make up my mind about becoming a demo. For me, it would probably just be to save some $$ on stuff for myself. I have seen a couple of Canadian SU demo's blogs that they are offering a free Sale-a-Bration set if you sign up under them. Is that a personal choice or I wonder if it's something just offered in Canada since I didn't see any US demos offering it. And what if I decide I can't meet the minimums at the end of the quarter - is there a penalty?
It is probably a personal choice of the demonstrators (I have a different option!) There is no penalty if you don't meet the minimums. The starter kit is yours to keep and you don't owe any money. You just lose the discount and the access to the wonderful SU site and the demo side of splitcoast! The new mini collection starts March 1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the info. I have one more question (I'm just full of them!) - can I order additional stamps, etc. at the same time I sign up and get the 20% discount or do I need to wait till all of the paperwork is finalized?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
Thanks for the info. I have one more question (I'm just full of them!) - can I order additional stamps, etc. at the same time I sign up and get the 20% discount or do I need to wait till all of the paperwork is finalized?
The kit at 20% off is the only thing you get. After your paperwork is in and you are set up you are free to order anything you want at your demo discount (20%). You have 45 days to put in a workshop order (any order totally $150 or more) and you will get a total of 30% off (this is a one time thing and has to be done within 45 days).hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes