Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will SU ever offer unmounted too?

For all you SU! demos out there, do you thing SU! will ever offer unmounted stamps in addition to the mounted? I just can't see paying for the block when I wouldn't want it. Just curious what everyone thinks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't say SU! will never offer unmounted, but...that was not discussed at Leadership as being on the horizon (they sometimes tell us other "things to come"). So for now, my guess is "no". However, you can use your SU! stamps unmounted--I have several customers that do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Even if SU offered an UM option the price would not be all that different...a few blocks of wood are but a very very small amount of the overall price of a set...volume purchasing makes items cheaper per piece...

It wouldn't be like with other companies where they charge 2/3-1/2 the amount for UM vs mounted...smaller company has to pay higher prices for wooden blocks - especially if they have a variety of sizes and a vastly smaller stamp line...ergo...higher price for mounted stamps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it depends on how they are doing profit wise. SU is expanding to a lot of countries and has a pretty successful model going, but if their profits started to go down, yes, I think they would. Just like they changed their angel policy and now offer some sets die cut.

A smart company moves with the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I sure hope so. I don't care if the sets are only a few bucks cheaper for UM vs M. I would just rather not deal with all of the wood going to waste. Better to save a few trees here and there, no?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just wish I could order EzMount or cling from SU, too. Even if they give me the blocks. Then I could buy the cling and stamps from the same place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

As for saving trees...SU has the trees grown specifically to make the blocks. They don't come from chopping down trees in the forest.

I haven't heard anything either about changes like that. Not that I think I would, really, lol! It's always possible that SU considers that it IS already offering stamps unmounted, which gives people more than one option. Center mount, mount clear to one side, cut a stamp apart and mount on both sides...or don't mount at all. It's a way to satisfy a lot of people, knowing that they'll never satisfy everybody, kwim?

Still, with all that said, I wouldn't say "never." One thing about SU is that they do re-visit trends. Just because it's not something they can do now, things might change enough down the road to be able to make their own changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=MSBetsyZ;8574079]As for saving trees...SU has the trees grown specifically to make the blocks. They don't come from chopping down trees in the forest.
QUOTE]

also the wood they use isnt your typical straight from the forest pine (evergreen) mosst woord blocks are hard woods liek maple

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
Even if SU offered an UM option the price would not be all that different...a few blocks of wood are but a very very small amount of the overall price of a set...volume purchasing makes items cheaper per piece...

It wouldn't be like with other companies where they charge 2/3-1/2 the amount for UM vs mounted...smaller company has to pay higher prices for wooden blocks - especially if they have a variety of sizes and a vastly smaller stamp line...ergo...higher price for mounted stamps...
maybe the price wouldn't be as much but it would save a bundle on shipping and then maybe they could reduce the shipping costs. I know a lot of people that is a HUGE complaint about su is the cost of shipping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouseView Post
maybe the price wouldn't be as much but it would save a bundle on shipping and then maybe they could reduce the shipping costs. I know a lot of people that is a HUGE complaint about su is the cost of shipping
If they charged us by weight, then probably. I think our shipping is very reasonable. ( TAC charges $6.95 for shipping (min) and their stamp sets weigh literally nothing compared to SU with blocks.)

I'd love to see SU give us the option of UM stamps....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I went totally unmounted with all my SU sets, but I still like my clear sets better because you have the advantage of seeing EXACTLY where that image is going. It would be great for SU to go clear, especially with the 2-3 step stamping. Even if they grow the trees specifically for their wood, it would sure save a lot of work and money to at least offer a choice whether or not the customer wants the wood and then at least pass along the s/h savings. I never thought I'd go unmounted, but I would NEVER go back to wood-mounted, especially since I ran out of storage space for my sets and can now fit many more sets in there (Oh, is that a good thing... or not??!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
As for saving trees...SU has the trees grown specifically to make the blocks. They don't come from chopping down trees in the forest.

I haven't heard anything either about changes like that. Not that I think I would, really, lol! It's always possible that SU considers that it IS already offering stamps unmounted, which gives people more than one option. Center mount, mount clear to one side, cut a stamp apart and mount on both sides...or don't mount at all. It's a way to satisfy a lot of people, knowing that they'll never satisfy everybody, kwim?

Still, with all that said, I wouldn't say "never." One thing about SU is that they do re-visit trends. Just because it's not something they can do now, things might change enough down the road to be able to make their own changes.
I agree totally. It's not like the SU stamps come already mounted on the blocks. There are options still. And personally...I give the wood blocks to my best friends two year old son, or I use them in the fireplace, or sell them to someone who wants to mount UM stamps. Sometimes my DBF even finds uses for them.

Granted, I have gravitated lately more to photopolymer stamps, I still think that the SU stamps are incredibly versitile. I just keep a bunch of EZ mount on hand that I bought off of Ebay.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouseView Post
Oh, I dunno. When you compare shipping costs, SU!'s is not really that much. I have a cart on Amazon that has a paperback book, a CD and a poster in it. The total is $22 and some change and they are quoting me $10 for shipping. The same dollar amount shipped from SU! within a workshop would cost $2.30 for shipping. For smaller orders, SU! has bargain shipping. It's when you are looking at the larger ones that it seems like too much, but you have to remember this is a direct sales company...the shipping costs are predicated on workshop orders, a bunch of small orders shipped together, NOT on large single orders placed outside a workshop.

As far as offering both mounted and unmounted, the big factor is how much room that offering both options would take on the pick line. With an automated system like SU!'s, you'd have to have a whole separate set of bins for the unmounted option. So they would have to expand their warehouse OR they would have to have less stamps in their catalog. Both ways would end up costing them a lot of money...do you want the prices of the stamps to go higher yet? It would effectively erase any cost savings you would get from not having to pay for a set of blocks, which, as Jen pointed out, is a very small part of the price of the stamps.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I love clear stamps and will take them any day. But, I still by from SU. Given the choice, I choose clear though. Just think of the storage savings! (I can't bring myself to unmount my SU stamps.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I'm not sure what Leadership is -- a conference for all Demos ? That sounds like fun -- what an opportunity to learn! Anyways, I wonder if demos get a chance to offer feedback and ask questions. Did anyone bring up the unmounted/mounted issue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Oh, I dunno. When you compare shipping costs, SU!'s is not really that much. I have a cart on Amazon that has a paperback book, a CD and a poster in it. The total is $22 and some change and they are quoting me $10 for shipping. The same dollar amount shipped from SU! within a workshop would cost $2.30 for shipping. For smaller orders, SU! has bargain shipping. It's when you are looking at the larger ones that it seems like too much, but you have to remember this is a direct sales company...the shipping costs are predicated on workshop orders, a bunch of small orders shipped together, NOT on large single orders placed outside a workshop.
But Amazon offers free shipping for orders over $25 on items actually sold by Amazon and not a third-party vendor. I think SU! should give large orders some kind of shipping reduction, at the very least. I really think they should just dispense with shipping costs altogether. Zappo's, for example, never charges shipping costs and often runs promotions for free overnight shipping. They're one of the most customer-friendly businesses around, and I think SU! could take a lesson from them in a few regards (one of the others being their return policy).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
But Amazon offers free shipping for orders over $25 on items actually sold by Amazon and not a third-party vendor. I think SU! should give large orders some kind of shipping reduction, at the very least. I really think they should just dispense with shipping costs altogether. Zappo's, for example, never charges shipping costs and often runs promotions for free overnight shipping. They're one of the most customer-friendly businesses around, and I think SU! could take a lesson from them in a few regards (one of the others being their return policy).
I have to agree I think it would encourage bigger sales too if the more you buy the better the shipping deal. after all it does all come in one big box when you have a party.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I would be happy if they would just die cut there stamps, so we don't have to cut them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

(one of the others being their return policy).
You have mentioned several times their return policy- Stampin' Up! has a very straight forward return policy- 90 days on product defects, 90 days for new, unused merchandise- these are for exchanges. You have a 3 day right to cancel any order and get your money back. So what happened?

Diane

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Yes, BUT you give up having your items come in as timely a manner as possible.

I always try to take advantage of free shipping with Amazon, but what ends up happening half the time is I end up buying something I really don't need, to up the amount to $25. In the stuff I bought yesterday, two of the items were eligible and one was not. So I had to find at least $7 item to get the free shipping...there are not that many things on Amazon that are eligible for that amount of money that I want.

Once I get my free shipping, I can't be sure when the stuff will arrive. Sometimes, it takes 3 or 4 weeks, sometimes I have it in a few days. But since I went for the free shipping, I can't be sure.

Free shipping is the way the companies that offer it get you, the consumer, to spend more. They know how the psychological ramifications that the idea that "if I only spend x amount more, I can avoid spending money on shipping" can encourage people to spend more. But it rarely ends at x amount and what ends up happening is that you spend MORE shopping there than you would have otherwise and on items that have a profit margin. Shipping has no profit margin...naturally, these companies want you to bump your order up! They are doing it because it makes more money for them, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Sure, some shoppers will carefully plan their purchases to buy all the items they need only when they have enough to get free shipping, but others are under a time constraint...they need that whatever for an upcoming birthday and they don't want to wait until they have enough desired items to meet the minimum shipping or they just want it when they want it. So they bite on the promise of free shipping and spend more than they meant to spend.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

My beef with their return policy is that if I buy a stamp, use it, and don't like, it I'm out of luck. I'm sure most people here feel that this is a fair return policy because we mount our own sets and SU! can't be expected to take something back that we've already cut up. But it's difficult when ordering something you've never seen demonstrated - sometimes the set gets here and it's not at all what you expected, but once it's mounted, you have no recourse. Also, you have to pay to have items shipped to you just to see if you like them, whereas in a store, you can examine an item before making your decision. Now, unfortunately for me, I've rarely seen a stamp I liked in any store - I like SU!'s stuff way better, so I've gotten stuck with a few sets I never use and will have to sell for much less than I paid for them because apparently everyone else had more sense than I did and never liked them to begin with

Regarding Amazon's free shipping, I've always received my items in a more than timely fashion from them. When one item is not available, they always send the other items right away and ship the backordered item separately. But the real point is that companies like Zappo's find it within their budget to offer free shipping for ANY purchase ALL the time, and often even run specials that offer free overnight shipping. If they can do this, what gives with SU!'s policy? As far as shipping times, I've never received my SU! items in anything resembling a timely manner. I've had more than one demo and none of them have ever put my order in as soon as they received it. I'm not sure why, and I'm not complaining about demos at all - I don't really need to get my stamping stuff in a hurry, usually - but as far as timeliness, Amazon wins that one by a mile.

Zappo's also has one of the best return policies ever. You can return their items for up to a year as long as there is no wear on them, and they pay for return shipping.

SU!'s policies are nowhere near as bad as places like Target, who has the worst return policy ever, but I feel like some other companies make an effort to reduce shipping and make buying easier for customers, so why can't SU!? I'm not frothing at the mouth over returns or shipping, but I just think they're areas where SU! definitely has some room for improvement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

My beef with their return policy is that if I buy a stamp, use it, and don't like, it I'm out of luck. I'm sure most people here feel that this is a fair return policy because we mount our own sets and SU! can't be expected to take something back that we've already cut up. But it's difficult when ordering something you've never seen demonstrated - sometimes the set gets here and it's not at all what you expected, but once it's mounted, you have no recourse. Also, you have to pay to have items shipped to you just to see if you like them, whereas in a store, you can examine an item before making your decision. Now, unfortunately for me, I've rarely seen a stamp I liked in any store - I like SU!'s stuff way better, so I've gotten stuck with a few sets I never use and will have to sell for much less than I paid for them because apparently everyone else had more sense than I did and never liked them to begin with
I can't think of a single place -- catalog, internet or store -- that I've ever bought a stamp from that would let me return it after using it unless the stamp was in some way defective. I don't get why SU is or should be any different. I can't return shoes that I've bought and worn, or books that I've bought and read . . . . why would stamps be different?

As for SU's shipping -- I think their prices are very fair. In fact, they almost always end up being cheaper than other places I shop online. As for businesses that offer "free" shipping . . . nothing is ever free. There's a cost built in somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I agree about reducing or eliminating the cost for shipping charges on larger orders - like with Longaberger baskets, if you have a party and the total from orders is $750 (i think) or more, then you get free shipping. I also think SU should do other promotional offers as well (that always run), again like with Longaberger... if you order $150 worth of items, you can pick any additional item and get 50% off the cost of it. With SU, I often wait longer and then place larger orders, but then tack on the shipping and tax and it's killer. Anyway, just my opinion..

How are you mounting your SU stamps if not on the wood blocks? What is EZ mount?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The stamps are shown full size in the catalog- how could it not be what you expected?
I don't know of any company who will allow you to order from them, use the product and then return it. I also don't know of any catalog company who will send you product to see if you like it.

And as for selling the stamps you don't like- you must be selling in the wrong places because I see stamps going on the bay for more than if the person had ordered through a demo- it doesn't make sense to me why someone would pay more through the bay then if they bought from a demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathydeuxView Post
I also think SU should do other promotional offers as well (that always run), again like with Longaberger... if you order $150 worth of items, you can pick any additional item and get 50% off the cost of it. With SU, I often wait longer and then place larger orders, but then tack on the shipping and tax and it's killer. Anyway, just my opinion..
Stampin' Up! will give you a hostess set- valued at around $20 and $15 in free merchandise and during Sale-a-bration you could get 3 more sets values at around $20 each- doesn't get much better than that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddstampsView Post
The stamps are shown full size in the catalog- how could it not be what you expected?
I don't know of any company who will allow you to order from them, use the product and then return it. I also don't know of any catalog company who will send you product to see if you like it.

And as for selling the stamps you don't like- you must be selling in the wrong places because I see stamps going on the bay for more than if the person had ordered through a demo- it doesn't make sense to me why someone would pay more through the bay then if they bought from a demo.
Since everyone seems to be clamoring for an example, here goes: I bought the Alphadots and Alphadots numbers sets because SU! said it coordinated with one of their circle punches. The picture of the Alphadot set in the 06-07 catalog does not make it clear that the set is not all capitals - some of the letters are lower case. After I received the set and compared the pictures, I believe the "c" shown is supposed to be lower case, but it's VERY hard to tell that from the photo. I assumed I'd be getting an all capital alphabet set, but I have some capitals and some lower case, and I just don't like that look. I could have sent it back before mounting it for that, yes, but I decided to just work with it. But after I got the whole thing mounted and tried it out, I discovered that the circle punch left a big blank spot around the Alphadot - I thought it was a closer cut, if that makes sense. I don't like the look of the Alphadots with the border around the edge, and cutting out by hand is not an option because it's too time-consuming and doesn't look as neat. So now I have two sets that I really just don't like for two reasons that would have been extremely difficult to tell from the catalog. When I search closed auctions on eBay for this set, the most the Alphadots have gone for is $21 (they were $26.95 new plus shipping), and the most the Alphadot numbers have gone for is $13, which appears to be a fluke, as the average is around $4 (they were $16.95 new plus shipping). Stampin up, of course, won't take these back because I already mounted them.

As far as returns, I'm just used to better customer service than that. I grew up shopping at JC Penney, which has a very customer friendly return policy. So does Zappo's, which I've mentioned repeatedly. A place like SU! that doesn't allow you to see the actual stamp before you buy should have some sort of accomodation for customers who don't get what they expect out of their order, but that kind of customer service is clearly not important to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

i love SU! and i love wood mounted stamps... SU! has a market for wood mounted stamps.

i don't like clear stamps so i don't buy them. yes there are some really cute images that i would love to have but i don't want clear so i don't have them.

i don't like unmounted... i have bought several bellas for example and when i got them i mounted them on wood blocks.

there are so many companies out there and they are finding a market for what they offer. SU! is one of them.

i say... "don't fix it if it ain't broke"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i love SU! and i love wood mounted stamps... SU! has a market for wood mounted stamps.

i don't like clear stamps so i don't buy them. yes there are some really cute images that i would love to have but i don't want clear so i don't have them.

i don't like unmounted... i have bought several bellas for example and when i got them i mounted them on wood blocks.

there are so many companies out there and they are finding a market for what they offer. SU! is one of them.

I couldn't have said it better!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

A place like SU! that doesn't allow you to see the actual stamp before you buy should have some sort of accomodation for customers who don't get what they expect out of their order, but that kind of customer service is clearly not important to them.
Stampin' Up! does accomidate those people that don't get what they expect out of their order- they will gladly exchange it as long as it is not put together and it is within the 90 days. That sure sounds like customer service to me.

I guess you should have gone with your gut feeling when you saw the stamps and weren't happy with them- Stampin' Up! would have gladly exchanged them for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddstampsView Post
Stampin' Up! does accomidate those people that don't get what they expect out of their order- they will gladly exchange it as long as it is not put together and it is within the 90 days. That sure sounds like customer service to me.

I guess you should have gone with your gut feeling when you saw the stamps and weren't happy with them- Stampin' Up! would have gladly exchanged them for you.
Clearly, we'll just have to agree to disagree - I feel that even more accomodation is necessary to reach the level of service I would prefer. I do have one other question, though. I bought the set when it was on the discontinued list - do they have the same return policy for those items? This was another reason I wasn't sure I could return it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Just a thought here. When I was first introdused to SU about 12 years ago, they offered a choice of foam or wood mounted stamps. The foam were obviously cheaper. So you had your choice with many (not all) stamp sets. Well they did it once so I can say that the door may be open for the future selection of either clear or wood mount stamps. It would not surprise me to see this option in the future.

That said, I am a wood woman! I am just not a fan of clear stamps. I like the image better when I stamp with a wood mounted stamp. Love that feel in my hands too! I may be an oddity, but there it is! If offered the choice, I will stick with my wood!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Since everyone seems to be clamoring for an example, here goes: I bought the Alphadots and Alphadots numbers sets because SU! said it coordinated with one of their circle punches. The picture of the Alphadot set in the 06-07 catalog does not make it clear that the set is not all capitals - some of the letters are lower case. After I received the set and compared the pictures, I believe the "c" shown is supposed to be lower case, but it's VERY hard to tell that from the photo. I assumed I'd be getting an all capital alphabet set, but I have some capitals and some lower case, and I just don't like that look. I could have sent it back before mounting it for that, yes, but I decided to just work with it. But after I got the whole thing mounted and tried it out, I discovered that the circle punch left a big blank spot around the Alphadot - I thought it was a closer cut, if that makes sense. I don't like the look of the Alphadots with the border around the edge, and cutting out by hand is not an option because it's too time-consuming and doesn't look as neat. So now I have two sets that I really just don't like for two reasons that would have been extremely difficult to tell from the catalog. When I search closed auctions on eBay for this set, the most the Alphadots have gone for is $21 (they were $26.95 new plus shipping), and the most the Alphadot numbers have gone for is $13, which appears to be a fluke, as the average is around $4 (they were $16.95 new plus shipping). Stampin up, of course, won't take these back because I already mounted them.

As far as returns, I'm just used to better customer service than that. I grew up shopping at JC Penney, which has a very customer friendly return policy. So does Zappo's, which I've mentioned repeatedly. A place like SU! that doesn't allow you to see the actual stamp before you buy should have some sort of accomodation for customers who don't get what they expect out of their order, but that kind of customer service is clearly not important to them.
I think you're being really unreasonable. You admitted you were disappointed in the Alphadots set, yet you STILL mounted the set. You made the choice to work with it - why should SU be responsible for that? It's kind of like a "you break it you buy it" sort of situation. You cut the rubbah, you keep the rubbah!

Also, SU does allow you to see the actual stamp image - it's in the catalog. Can you imagine how much money SU would lose if thousands of customers returned used stamps??

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I do have one other question, though. I bought the set when it was on the discontinued list - do they have the same return policy for those items? This was another reason I wasn't sure I could return it.
It is my understanding that they can be exchanged if it is within the 90 days.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph315View Post
I think you're being really unreasonable. You admitted you were disappointed in the Alphadots set, yet you STILL mounted the set. You made the choice to work with it - why should SU be responsible for that? It's kind of like a "you break it you buy it" sort of situation. You cut the rubbah, you keep the rubbah!

Also, SU does allow you to see the actual stamp image - it's in the catalog. Can you imagine how much money SU would lose if thousands of customers returned used stamps??
I've explained why I mounted it and why I would STILL be unsatisfied with it - it doesn't match the circle punch they advertise as going with the set. I guess I could have checked to see if the stamps matched the punch before I mounted them, but why would I do that when I was told they matched? Also, I've explained why I was not able to tell what the images looked like in the catalog. For the alphadots, the catalog only shows the letters a, b, and c. I'm not sure whether the c is supposed to be capital or lowercase, but based on the picture where the a and b were capitals, I assumed the whole set was capitals. So you can't always tell from the catalog what exactly you're getting. Another example is the text and texture set from the current catalog. There was a post recently about someone being disappointed to discover that it's double-mounted because that's not indicated anywhere in the catalog.

Furthermore, no one seems to be understanding another of my points - say I had decided I didn't want it after I realized it was mixed caps/lower case. I would have paid to have it shipped to me and paid to have it shipped back. That's bad customer service when compared to a company like Zappo's who gives free shipping both ways. At a basic level, what I'm saying is that if Zappo's can do this, they're putting everyone else who refuses to do it to shame.

This thread is getting hijacked by this nonsense. This is one customer's opinion of what I want out of customer service from SU!. If all of the demos here disagree with me, it's not really going to change my opinion.

As far as whether SU will ever have unmounted stamps, to get back to the topic at hand, I would have said no until I read that they used to offer a choice between wood or foam mounts. Now I'm wondering if they might offer unmounted eventually since it's so popular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I really think you are comparing apples to oranges here. SU is a direct sales company, not a brick and mortar store like JC Penney. Yes, you have to pay return shipping to SU, but you also have to pay for the gas to drive back to JC Penny to return their item. And you even stated that Zappo's return policy depends on the item having "no wear".

I can see any stamp set I want, all I have to do is contact my demo. If she doesn't have it, she will find someone who does. She will even let me borrow the set to see if I really like it before I buy it. I don't know of any brick and mortar, or internet, store that will let me borrow and play with the item before I buy it.

I just don't think it is fair to compare a direct sales company to a brick and mortar or internet store. They just aren't the same and shouldn't be expected to have the same policies. If you really want to compare them, then I want the JC Penney or Zappo's employee to come to my house to show me how to use all the stuff I bought from them! 'Cuz my SU demo does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

This is basically how I feel. If SU switched to clear, I would probably find somewhere else to buy rubber stamps...and I like wood mounted. I just like the whole mounted, rubber stamp thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

That's bad customer service when compared to a company like Zappo's who gives free shipping both ways. At a basic level, what I'm saying is that if Zappo's can do this, they're putting everyone else who refuses to do it to shame.

There is no such thing as a free lunch....sorry but I can buy the same shoes at some place like Kohls or Macy's for $10 - $20 less than Zappos - so their "free" shipping is built into the cost of the shoe...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Default try phone in with your questions

every time i have a question about a set, i ask my demo to call the company to qualm any douts i have before i buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Wow. I thought this thread was about SU and if you think they will ever offer clear stamps as an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I would be thrilled if they offered UM red rubber without the wood!

I hate the thought of wasting the wood--the cutting a tree (however it grew), the shipping cost and trouble, the space it takes up in my room while I try to figure out what to do with it and the cost. Even if they took a small percentage off it would make me very happy to not deal with the wood.
Reply With Quote Likes