Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I go Unmounted?

Hi everyone,

I've heard a lot of talk on the forums about people going unmounted with thier stamping. How do you do this? Is it only a particular brand that is unmounted like acrylic stamps?

I have an EXTREMELY small craft space, so the thought of saving some room really appleals to me! Also, if I save room, I'll have room for more stamps ;)

I appreciate any help you could provide.

Jackie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rubyslippers74

See post #34
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

You can pull your rubber right off your wood blocks. There are many methods of attaching it to you acrylic blocks after this.. You can buy EZ mount if you like cushion. It's sticky on one side where you attach the rubber to it, and smooth on the other side that sticks to the acrylic block. Some people forego the cushion and just use window cling material, velcro, repositional tape, Aileen's Tack it over and over glue, and some people pull the foam off the block still attached to the rubber and just use the residual stickiness that's left on it. There are SO many different methods of going unmounted.

Personally I use the EZ Mount. With my brand new stamps, I line up my stamp, corner-to-corner on the EZ mount and stamp the smooth side with StazOn, flip it over and adhere it to the EZ mount, then trim as I would normally. That way you have the image of your stamp showing through your acrylic block to help in lining up your image. Although, even for the stamps I don't do this on, I don't have any troubles aligning my images.

I store my unmounted stamps in clear CD cases and clear DVD cases for the larger sets and background stamps. Then I index and label. Wonderful space saver!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some brands come unmounted (like TAC) but you can also unmount stamps that are mounted on wood blocks. Then you use an assortment of acrylic blocks to temporarily mount them for stamping once you decide your cling method (I use Creative Cling aka EZ Mount). Once you clean them they can go back into a CD case or on a storage baord, etc. They really take up a lot less space and are really easy to use. I love my alphabets unmounted because you can spell the words out on an acrylic block before you stamp it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I have unmounted all of my Stampin up stamps (over 30 sets). The instructions on how to do it are in the Projects section of my website.

You have the choice of then storing them in CD Cases or on a storage panel that you can then place in a zippered binder. I chose a zippered binder from ebags (This is a cd binder - Case Logic CD-R ProSleeve Binder - I took out the sleeves that came with it - I know it seems a waste, but I'll put the cd sleeves in a different binder)

Hope this helps - I have saved a tremendous amount of space doing it this way. I also peeled the name of the set from the Stampin up box and placed it on the storage panel - now I'm super organized!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a tutorial on my blog about going from SU! woodblock to SU! unmounted. If they are already on blocks then you can either take the whole rubber/foam off and then follow the steps in the tutorial...or you can just peel the rubber and use the EZ Mount method as the above posters stated.

http://m2them.blogspot.com/2006/09/t...su-stamps

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unmounted ten sets this weekend, and put them on ez mount and in CD cases, wonderful. I love it, I even did a wheel. Less space definitely is taken up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Thank you all so much for this fantastic information! Now I have some tutorials to visit before I begin randomly unmounting all my stamps!!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I would really like to unmount my wheels, but I am scared I will ruin them. Are they pretty easy to remove? I think I would use them more unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillgunter
I would really like to unmount my wheels, but I am scared I will ruin them. Are they pretty easy to remove? I think I would use them more unmounted.
All but one of my wheels were easier to remove than the stamps. The one I had problems with was a really old one and it was just stuck. It did come off with no problems once I got the seam separated. I do use my wheels more now that they are unmounted. I didn't mount them on EZ mount or anything. I just use the bare rubber on a long wood block with repositionable adhesive. I don't have an acrylic block long enough for the wheels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I contemplated doing this last year, even bought my EZ mount then didn't do it...until now. I mounted a set and used it and I love it!! I've done 12 sets now and have just ordered more EZ mount Try a set and see if you like it first...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I contemplated doing this last year, even bought my EZ mount then didn't do it...until now. I mounted a set and used it and I love it!! I've done 12 sets now and have just ordered more EZ mount Try a set and see if you like it first...

Oh, for the most part, I was able to just peel the rubber off of the foam on all my sets. I didn't need to microwave any blocks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

If you have trouble removing a piece rome the wood block put it in the microwave for 10-30 sec. depending on size.

I store my rubber in photo albums with a stamped page of images on a page opposite in a page protector. YES IT IS A SPACE SAVER!

When you get to a point where you can think about buying unmounted blocks I can help lead you in the right direction.

Buy your mounting foam from Beeswax.com; it's a DOLLAR A SHEET CHEAPER than anywhere else.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

http://www..com/cushion.html

http://www..com/stampibrary.html

The above site offers some instruction and ideas on unmounteds.

Basically, you can just carefully pull the rubber portion off the wood stamp. If any glue remains on the back, remove it by rubbing it off with your fingers or even an eraser. Once the rubber is just rubber, you can use it as is with double stick tape on the rubber or on the acrylic mount. Or you can mount it on a foam base with the sticky side on the rubber and the clingy part for adhering to an acrylic mount that does not have any adhesive on it as the adhesive on the mount will damage your cling side. The foam base is often referred to as EZ mount. The stamps are then stored in the labeled VHS style boxes, CD style boxes, or other storage devices that some creative crafters have found. When you unmount and store, just a word of advice: make a copy of the stamps in the storage container and place it in a cross-referenced binder so you can easily locate the image for your projects!

Best of luck in your project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Here's what I did with my rubber stamps:

1. Place in microwave, rubber side up and nuke for 20 seconds. Let cool for a minute so you can easily pick up without fingers getting too hot. Peel off rubber and you're done. I found that on some of my really old cheap stamps the wood came off fine but the spongy stuff kind of fell apart and only some of it came off. Just nuke it again for about 10-15 seconds, let cool for a minute and then the rest comes off.

2. To attach rubber stamp to an acrylic block, I have the little square photo tabs that you buy at M's (they're pretty cheap). Just stick one on your stamp and then it'll stick to the block. Remove when finished stamping.

I store mine in CD cases now but I think I'll store my alphas in a binder at some point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi! I am about half way through my unmounting and am so excited about it! I only have about 50 sets so it hasn't been too bad. However, I did get 2 more this past week and put them on EZ Mount right away. I love it! It is taking up way less space and my stamps look so nice and organized! I wish I would have done this sooner!! Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

My first unmounted stamps were the Bellas and I resisted them for months because I was scared of unmounted stamps - now I have all the passion of a convert. I love unmounted! I love being able to see where I stamp and I'm planning to unmount all my stamps but it's quite a daunting thought.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm hooked on unmounted, just started, but a little daunting because I have about 200 sets or so...I love the few that I started with, you won't regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampaholic2004
I'm hooked on unmounted, just started, but a little daunting because I have about 200 sets or so...I love the few that I started with, you won't regret it!
You'll be surprised at how fast unmounting that many sets will go. I did close to that number within a month. Every night while watching the tube I'd take care of 10 - 12 sets. Absolutely LOVE it now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's good to hear, I just did a few last night and was surprised to see how fast and easy it was! My one tip is too keep a bottle of Scrapper Solution or other adhesive remover so you can de-gunk your scissors a lot. What you you use to store larger images like BGs? I hear someone say DVD cases...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Just wanted to say thank you to all the advice here. Last night I unmounted a set just to see if I really would like unmount and how difficult it would be. Well it wasn't and if it wasn't so late when I got started I would have kept going. I can't wait to get home to continue.

I have limited myself to a small shelf space and said that once it's full I can't buy anymore unless I trade or sell off. Well this certainly cheats my own system!!

Because I hold workshops, I'm planning on unmounting the retired sets that I don't want to give up and keep the current on blocks.

Thanks again!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's been about 2 months and I think I've got about 100 sets or so done. I bought regular CD calendar cases, mini calendar cases, and larger DVD size cases online for the different size sets, and just got some cool CD and DVD holders from the Container Store to store them in. Loving life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I don't know how people fit them in CD boxes. They're so small and my stamps are either large sets or large stamps I couldn't possibly. Sounds harder to store than albums, too.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got some DVD cases that are like the CD cases, clear but big enough for all of my larger sets. The only set that I couldn't quite fit was Nature's Secret...but I could fit all the other larger sets like DD Summer Sunflower, Christmas Gift Tags, Stained Glass I....all the big word sets, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JampsterStampster
I don't know how people fit them in CD boxes. They're so small and my stamps are either large sets or large stamps I couldn't possibly. Sounds harder to store than albums, too.
I have 600 CD cases full of unmounted. Only in 3 cases has it taken more than one case to house a complete set. I don't put my backgrounds in CD cases as they fit 6 to a shell case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I am thinking of going unmounted myself. I just don't have the room anymore for all of those wood blocks. Thanks so much to everyone for all of the info. But I have one more question...

What do you do with all of the wood that is left over?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Used to sell it and now I burn it. People want it for shipping price but after my one hour traveling to and from and standing in PO line with a heavy box, it just ain't worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just save it up and burn it this winter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by myralm
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just save it up and burn it this winter.

Maybe your travel time isn't quite as far as Housefan's....and it would take ALOT of blocks to be heavy....but from what I've read the past few days ...there are alot of people that don't like unmounted that would be interested in your blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

What do you do to get the residue glue off of the blocks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay,...I've been hearing about unmounted for some time now and I'm genuinely interested! My question is not about "how to unmount", but rather in the usage. When the unmounted rubber is on the acrylic block, does it move when you stamp it? In other words, does it stamp a clear image or does it wiggle sometimes and look a little out of focus?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

No it won't slide around while you're using it. If you need to reposition it on the block you'll have to pull it off and stick it back on.

I never tried to remove glue from the wood blocks, though I suspect goo gone would remove it. I burned all those blocks and sold only new unused ones as I got them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampartist
What do you do to get the residue glue off of the blocks?
Those Mr. Clean Magic Sponge square things are PERFECT. Shines them up so easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I've gone unmounted myself and it is so nice. I just finished doing all my sets and it's wonderful. It took forever to talk myself into it because it was a huge job - but it was well worth it.

I stored all mine on the SU case lids and then put them in boxes. I went from 3 bookshelves 2 sets deep to one shelf!! I have room to expand.

I tried once to post a pic but it was huge!! I dont want to try again, but take a look in my gallery and you'll see... Just another idea to choose from...
Hugs,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Sorry, I was thinking glue residue on the acrylic blocks. You just take a good old electric sander to the gluey wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

What kind of investment would you say it is to go unmounted- ez mount, blocks, everything? I have maybe 50 sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I usually buy 10 sheets of EZ mount at a time, because you will tire of the project before you get that far. That's $30.

Acrylic block set is around $15-$20 depending on where you buy them and how many you get.

Do you already have Kai scisors? they are much easier to work with than reg scisors. They run about $20 or so.

Check out these links for supplies. They sell the cheapest blocks and EZ mount.

http://www.stampandgo.com/cartMOUNTINGSUPPLIES.html

http://www.beeswaxrubberstamps.com/accessories.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

I need some more advice on how to get the glue residue off the back of the stamps. When I UMd Cool Cat and some Sell-a-bration sets, the rubber peeled off the foam with minimal/no residue whatsoever. When I UMd Looks Like Spring, there was a lot of residue left behind, especially on the larger stamps! The smaller LLS images, I could just rub the extra adhesive off with my fingers. The larger stamps, like the daisy and the two diamond background patterns, I've had no luck! I applied so much UnDu I was stoned for a week and still the gummy wads of adhesive are still on the back. Has anyone else had this happen to them? How'd you get around it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Yikes!! Way to many blocks to sand. I still might try the goo gone. If not I might just post them to give away.

Thanks for the info!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
Sorry, I was thinking glue residue on the acrylic blocks. You just take a good old electric sander to the gluey wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

If the residual adhesive is smooth I just left it. It needs adhesive where it's going, anyway. If it's formed lumps try Goo Gone.
Reply With Quote Likes