Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me I'm not the only one :)

I have just started doing challenges and uploading cards. I am finding I am feeling bad when I see my card has many fewer comments than others cards. I usually like my cards and am not typically so critical of myself. Maybe I need to stay away from challenges. Not looking for compliments~ just wondering if anyone else felt this way.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think we all feel that way. Part of human nature!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just because there aren't comments doesn't mean they don't like it. I am usually in a hurry so I rarely comment.............just peek. So that may be what a lot of people do. Also, friends comment on friends. They kind of fill them up, too. Keep stamping! LOL

Carol
in IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, it common to feel that way. Mostly friends look at friends cards because they are so busy and there are so many posted cards. Wish I had time to do the challenges.
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks everyone~ just needed to know I'm not the only one feeling that way. Off to stamp for fun! Have a great night!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I know it can feel that way. I don't do the challenges, but I have done a couple of the tutorials and posted. Certain times of the day the gallery seems to run so slowly. I don't have enough time to comment on every card that I would like to. Sometimes there is a favorite card thread in this forum and you can add a link to your fav card....people will comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I just recently got comments on some cards that I posted a few months ago! Sometimes visitors don't have time to look at every single card posted, they may search for something specific at some point. Don't worry about it....have fun and develop your own style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just thrilled when I get a comment. there are sooooo many cards that are posted every day, I am actually kind of amazed if I get any! It really and truly does not reflect on you or the beauty of your cards. just to be sure, I went to look at them...They are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Smile Few comments on cards submitted

Lori:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as long as you like your creation, that is all that matters.

StampinAnytime
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori Lynn WashburnView Post
I have just started doing challenges and uploading cards. I am finding I am feeling bad when I see my card has many fewer comments than others cards. I usually like my cards and am not typically so critical of myself. Maybe I need to stay away from challenges. Not looking for compliments~ just wondering if anyone else felt this way.
Lori....of course you are not the only one. It took months of submitting cards before I got more than 2-3 comments. But I will say, the cards that get the most comments are submitted for the daily challenges...AND the more you comment on other's cards, the more you get comments in return.

Just some things I noticed that might make you feel better. There are 1000s of cards submitted and it is impossible to comment on every one. Look at your views and favorites to know if people are checking out what you do...rather than your comments.

Some of my best cards EVER are the ones with the fewest comments so comments don't really mean everything.

(((hugs))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I hate it when there are 200 plus views and no comments. TIME is a four-letter word and I don't have any of it either. Just because there are no comments, don't worry. I actually look at the # of views knowing people don't have time to comment. I am just as much to blame so I try to comment when I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Default I am glad I am not alone

I have to admit that I am a chronic checker of my gallery. Sometimes I feel like it is my best work ever and then I am so bummed that I did not get more views or comments. You cards are really pretty. I am glad I took the time to take a look.

My Blog - Just me and the dog (stamping too)

My little gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

oh, me, too! I do have some cards with lots of comments, but I still find myself obsessing with the ones that didn't get many and wonder why no one liked those ones! This last VSN I could only do four challenges (no time here, either) and each of my cards only got two comments. I was so sad about it, and then I went to go look at everyone else's submissions and found that no one was getting comments. So now I'm going through sprinkling comments on all the good cards that didn't get many comments--there are a TON! So many beautiful creations that no one has the time to compliment. It made me feel a lot better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I know exactly how you feel, and I must admit, I really look at the samples because i do not have a whole lot of time to leave comments. HOWEVER I plan to change this about myself...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Please keep continue to participate in the challenges because you have very nice cards in your gallery. Most people don't leave comments for whatever reason. Try participating in one of the Comment Rounds. The people that hang out in those threads are great.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I often find that my personal favorites receive fewer comments, while the ones I'm lukewarm about get lots of comments. Sometimes there's just no explaining why some cards seem to be more popular.

There are a few things that you can do to maximize exposure to you cards, which will likely lead to more views, comments, and faves:
  • If you use a SU! set, put the picture in that gallery, not your member gallery. (Naturally, more people are going to browse the "Embrace Life" set gallery than the "Jane Stamper" member gallery.
  • Fill out all of the fields when you upload. This will help people who are searching find you! If you do a heart-themed card, use keywords like Valentine, heart, love. Also, make sure you use popular keywords like OLC= One layer card, CAS= Clean and Simple, SUO= SU! only, and so on.
  • Leave comments on others' galleries, many will then visit yours. Participate in the gallery comment threads.
  • Have a link to your gallery in your signature
A couple of other trends that I've noticed in my own gallery, these shouldn't change the way you stamp, just some things to keep in mind:
  • Cards using non-SU sets get fewer views/comments. People aren't actively looking for those sets as much. Also, even if they really love your card, if they don't have that set, they're not as likely to take notice enough to comment.
  • Cards using retired sets get fewer views/comments. I think people are looking more for what's new at any given time. Not as many people are browsing the galleries for retired sets.

Hope some of those are helpful!

Last edited by krystie lee; 01-27-2008 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: typo, clarify
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with everyone else, it's wonderful to get comments and a bit of a bummer not to. It's a weird compulsive thing I do, checking, checking, checking. (Rest assured that if you ever leave a comment on any of my cards I'll be pouring over every word! ) Even though I try not to fret over it, it's a bit upsetting if you don't get comments. Hovever it may mean that it wasn't initially attractive and they just didn't really click to see it up close, or it was a bad time to post or people had real time constraits, etc.

Anyway, I think photography has alot to do with it too. I'm going to try to make myself a photo box and set up an area for better pics bc I really think that helps folks see your "creation" and then if they like it, they'll post a comment. I noticed in your gallery you have some awesome things that turned out kinda dark in the picture.
Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Here's the pattern I have seen. You get more comments the earlier you get your challenge done than later. Challenge chasers hit those early. The more comments you leave, the more likely you are to get some in return. We all love the comments believe me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Great tips Krystie Lee. I didn't know hardly any of the stuff you listed to do. Also, Lori, one thing that always give me a little bit of the stamping "warm fuzzies" is giving cards to a few people I know love them. They gush over them, even though they are some of the simplest (and not always cutest IMO) cards. Very encouraging. Great thread too--a good reminder to take time to leave some comments!
God bless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Getting comments seems to depend upon leaving comments; a lot of it feels like a quid pro quo thing to me. Sometimes I try to keep up with that, and other times I fall behind because I have other things I need to do (I'm stealing time from them in order to make cards in the first place!). Then I feel guilty about it and that keeps me from doing challenges, which ultimately is a bad thing.

I think we all need to ask ourselves what our reasons are for posting in the gallery. I like to have a record of cards I've made and also like to see my progression as I learn new techniques and naturally envelope new ideas into my own style. Yes, it's fun to get comments, but I'm learning that they're not the be-all and end-all reason for posting. There are also many people here who are on design teams; part of their "job" is to ensure that as many people as possible view their cards and projects.

I love the challenges, they are so inspiring and fun. However, they truly aren't a contest to see who gets the most comments. The only opinion of your cards that truly matters is your own. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
A couple of other trends that I've noticed in my own gallery, these shouldn't change the way you stamp, just some things to keep in mind:
  • Cards using non-SU sets get fewer views/comments. People aren't actively looking for those sets as much. Also, even if they really love your card, if they don't have that set, they're not as likely to take notice enough to comment.
  • Cards using retired sets get fewer views/comments. I think people are looking more for what's new at any given time. Not as many people are browsing the galleries for retired sets.
Hope some of those are helpful!
I have to comment here as i don't find these statements true for myself. Some of my cards that have the most comments are Non-SU cards. Even retired sets I have used have gotten more comments than current SU set. Any card using another company other than SU can be turned into SU. So if i see a card with another company but love the layout/color scheme (besides the company), I'm going to comment.

Each commentor (is that even a word? lol) is looking for something different in a card. If yours strikes that chord, then they will leave a comment or favorite it. (I hate having tons of favorites and views but a handful of comments) And yes, the more comments you yourself give out, the more you yourself will get noticed and people will start looking at your gallery and commenting.

Don't ever stop doing the challenges!!! They have helped me grow so much in my stamping. It is true that those who seem to post first in the challenges get the most comments. But it's not a race to see who can get done first. Challenges are meant to help you with your creation. And you don't have to do them all if you don't want to.

Just do your best and always remember, It's not about the comments, It's about the pleasure stamping gives us!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #22  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't uploaded many cards yet. I am planning to get on this, but when I did I was surprised when I did get a comment I would only put my cards in the gallery for my own record. I really don't care if people comment. I too would look at favorited. I favorite cards and projects all the time and when I have tried to leave a comment it takes forever for it to post. I look at todays additions in the evening and look through the whole thing at once. I would run out of time if I tried to comment. If i favorited I loved it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I look at my gallery as somewhere I save my cards. Since I started my gallery I am able to let go of my projects and actually send cards because I have a photo uploaded of them. So I try not to really focus on the number of comments. Sometimes it feels like a popularity contest to me. You know the more popular a person is on this board and that is annoying. And it is true that the more comments you leave the more comments you get. Also you can join a comment thread and get more comments.
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

I think it's safe to say that eveyone that uploads feels this way too
I can make a card and it get 20 comments and the very next day make one just as good or what I think is better and it gets 5 comments. Its all about the time of day and challenges, etc. Like the others said;)

I just looked at your gallery and it's fabulous and has a lot of coments for just starting out, WOW!

Keep on stamping and uploading!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Lori, I just looked through your gallery and your cards are absolutely lovely --still, I'm pretty sick right now do I only had the energy to leave a couple of comments. I will go back when I'm feeling better,

BUt I also wanted to say I felt the same way as you do when I first started uploading and then I realized that it realy didn't matter whether people commented on a card or not. Sure, I felt goos when a card got some comments, but even if I got no comments, as long as I liked the card that's all that mattered. Most of my cards have been favorited at least once, which means that someone was inspired by some element of the card, and that's good enough for me. As long as at least one person is getting something from my uploads, I feel that the upload has a purpose.

So just keep stamping for you and doing what you love. You are inspiring lots of people even if they don't always have the time to leave the comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambi64View Post
I have to comment here as i don't find these statements true for myself. Some of my cards that have the most comments are Non-SU cards. Even retired sets I have used have gotten more comments than current SU set. Any card using another company other than SU can be turned into SU. So if i see a card with another company but love the layout/color scheme (besides the company), I'm going to comment.
Just speaking for my own gallery, it's a clear trend, but I rarely do challenges, so that might be one of the big differences.

For example, lets take your adorable turtle snowman card; if you had just uploaded that without doing a challenge, it may not have been as visible, because there isn't a specific gallery for it that people regularly browse. However, since you did it for a challenge, it got a lot more exposure.

My point is that you need to get views to get comments, and it's more difficult to get views on obscure sets, just because people can't find them as easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #27  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

you keep on posting your cards! Comments or not, if YOU like them that is what is important. And I do agree with Cammie, my cards from challenges get so many more comments than those I post without a challenge. And comments beget comments, what goes around comes around.
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrellView Post
I look at my gallery as somewhere I save my cards. Since I started my gallery I am able to let go of my projects and actually send cards because I have a photo uploaded of them. So I try not to really focus on the number of comments. Sometimes it feels like a popularity contest to me. You know the more popular a person is on this board and that is annoying. And it is true that the more comments you leave the more comments you get. Also you can join a comment thread and get more comments.
Yes, that's how I feel. Now that I've saved them as pictures I'm able to send them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

the # of comments = NOTHING about the quality of you work!

keep your chin up!

i am off to look at your gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lori, I just checked out your gallery---you make lovely cards! I'm hoping to start uploading cards soon---just need to learn how. We just got a computer for Christmas and I'm in the learning phase. I'm considering hiring a *tutor* to help me navigate all the new things I wish to learn! I didn't grow up in the computer age and it's all Greek to me! Keep creating!!!
Reply With Quote Likes