Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a SU Demo sell/promote other products?

Hi everyone,

I am strongly considering becoming a Stampin Up demo, in February. I love their products and use them all the time. In addition to SU, I also sell custom wedding invitations, baby announcements, etc. I may or may not use SU for these items, in fact, I usually don't. (The other products used are mainly paper, envelopes and ribbon, not stamps)

I plan on being a hobby demo only and do not plan on hosting workshops or anything like that. I will definately be my best customer. In addition, my mother-in-law is opening a small jewelry/gift shop next month and I was thinking about having a card display with individial cards for sale.

Can I be a SU demo, sell individual cards made with SU products in a retail store, and sell custom invitations/announcement not made with SU products on the side?

This may be completely confusing, if so please let me know!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I hope this link works. It is Stampin Up's policy on this.

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/1457_9678.asp
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I tried the link, but it sent me to the demonstrator login page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

How about this.

Joining Another DS Company
January 21, 2008

There are lots of options out there for people who are interested in direct-sales or multilevel marketing businesses. Occasionally, demonstrators ask if there is anything wrong with joining another direct-sales or multilevel marketing company. Our response is two-fold.

As a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, the Demonstrator Manual outlines the following official policy:

You may not represent or assist any person or entity that sells products that are the same as or similar to Stampin' Up! products.
You may not represent a direct-selling or multilevel marketing company that sells products that are the same as or similar to Stampin' Up! products.
You may not sell, promote, or demonstrate products other than those offered by Stampin' Up! while participating in home workshops or Stampin' Up! events, or at any other meeting with existing or potential demonstrators or customers.
These exclusions also apply to your spouse, regardless of whether or not he is a supporting demonstrator. They also apply to any product that Stampin' Up! decides to sell in the future.
It is unlikely that Stampin' Up! will offer a food or make-up product line, for example, since those are so dissimilar to our core product line. However, we are always looking for new products and initiatives, some of which complement our existing products and some that are completely new. (For example, we recently decided not to enter the direct-sales jewelry market, after months of study.) And we are always looking to expand our offering or influence in crafting, scrapbooking, and home d�cor markets; we consider these to be core applications of our products.

We urge demonstrators to keep that in mind as they look at other options, knowing they will have to choose between their two companies if Stampin' Up! starts offering products similar to anything carried by their second company. (The second company may require you to make a choice in that circumstance as well. Companies' policies differ.) The choice could be precipitated by even the smallest change in product offering, either by Stampin' Up! or your second company. Demonstrators have had to make these choices in the past when we began incorporating scrapbooking as a key use of our products, and again when we started to carry ribbon as an accessory. We don't want to find today's demonstrators in similar stressful situations.

In addition, we urge demonstrators considering the possibility of joining another direct-sales company to look at the amount of time necessary to make any business succeed. If you are committed to making your business grow and thrive, you need to invest a certain amount of time and energy. If you divide those resources between two businesses, it only makes sense that one company will likely prosper at the expense of the other.

Nevertheless, Stampin' Up! does allow demonstrators to join other companies if that's what will help them achieve their goals. For demonstrators who choose to build two different companies, we remind them of the following policy, also found in the Demonstrator Manual:

A downline list is a list of the people you have recruited (current or past), the persons those recruits have recruited, and so on, through five levels of recruits. Downline lists are proprietary assets of Stampin' Up! and part of the trade secrets of the company. To protect the interests of our sales force and the confidentiality of downline lists, they may not be used for any purpose other than developing your Stampin' Up! business. Downline lists and other information owned by the company may not be sold, shared, copied, distributed, or used to solicit participation in other activities. They may not be used to advance the interests of, promote, or develop any other business or private organization in anyway. This prohibition also applies to people who are no longer active demonstrators.
This means you cannot use the lists of demonstrators who are in your downline in any way as you build another business. Infringements of this policy are serious, threatening a valuable proprietary asset of the company.

We recognize that different options and opportunities come along every day. If opportunities through another company enable you to better meet your personal needs or goals, we don't want to forbid it. But if product lines conflict, even marginally, we cannot allow a Stampin' Up! demonstrator to represent a competing business. Most other direct-sales companies have similar (or more restrictive) policies.

We value our demonstrators as our most significant company resource. We are here today because of your efforts, dedication, and support. We care deeply about you and want you to succeed in all that you do. We thank you for keeping these benefits and possible pitfalls in mind as you consider whether another company's opportunity may be right for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

You could always ask your potential upline and/or call SU directly. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you answer this question. I'm a hobby demo but don't sell any cards I make so I really couldn't tell you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree...call Stampin' UP and ask. (1-800-STAMPUP) That way there is no chance for misunderstandings in the future. You will love being a demo if it works out. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for info tay0479! I'll have to re-read this about 20 times before it completely makes sense. I'll probably also call Stampin Up in the morning to see what they say.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I am a demo and I sell cards on the side - most are made with SU images...some are not...I have a separate business card with general information on it in regards to my selling of cards and small giftables (doesn't state anything about SU)

the new angel policy allows you to sell items made with SU images in a retail establishment

You just can't sell products for a competing company - meaning you can't be a SU demo and also sign up to be a TAC or CTMH or CM demo as well...

selling finished cards is not selling competing products because SU doesn't sell finished cards...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

i think it is a very good possibility based on your description of what you do. SU will definitely have a few rules for you to follow, but i don't think it will be a problem. i know that one of the big rules is that you can't wear both hats at the same time. like you can't advertise yourself as a wedding invite designer and on your business card, also say SU demo. doesn't mean that you can't use SU supplies, just can't advertise that way. there are a few rules like that. call SU for the specifics, and then have fun getting the discount on your supplies!
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

It would be interesting to know how they feel about some of their very visible SU Demos being on design teams and promoting products of other companies on their blogs. Personally, I think these women are breaking the rules. At the very least, it is disingenous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much! I was really hoping I could do both. They would be completely separate endeavors. I will be calling Stampin Up in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I am a demo and know a demo who does just what you are talking about. SU does not have any problems with it. She has a separate "company" that she runs the cards/invitations/favors out of. Sometimes she uses SU stuff and sometimes she does not. I think you'll be just fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperBlackView Post
It would be interesting to know how they feel about some of their very visible SU Demos being on design teams and promoting products of other companies on their blogs. Personally, I think these women are breaking the rules. At the very least, it is disingenous.
Many of these demos have contacted SU! and the consistent response has been that they are allowed to be on design teams while remaining a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Stampin' Up! does not sell finished products, only supplies to make them, so as long as you're selling finished products made with other supplies I think you're fine. It would be different if your other business consisted of selling envelopes, card stock, ink and ribbons to make wedding invitations or favors, but that does not seem to be the case. I would call Stampin' Up! before you sign on just for the peoace of mind, but to me it sounds like what you'd be doing is within the rules. Good luck with both of your businesses :-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

The demonstrator contract does not prohibit them from doing concept (design) work for competing companies; only illustration or product design/development, product sales or being owner/part owner of a competing company, either manufacturer or retail oriented.

They are breaking no rules; if SU! considered it a conflict of interest, it would be a clause in the contract.

Many of these individuals, including myself, at the time I was a demonstrator (I resigned May 2007, after 10 years), also contacted the company directly to make sure they were in compliance of their contracts before accepting or pursuing this type of concept work.

I do not consider myself, or any of them, as disingenuous, but, you are entitled to your opinion, of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

CooperBlack, I agree with you. I would not in good concience demo for one company and then represent another of the same product type. Being on a DT is representing/demoing for the company, in fact selling for the company in an indirect way. So no, I even consider it even if the company said it was ok. I really don't know why they would, that is strange policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
CooperBlack, I agree with you. I would not in good concience demo for one company and then represent another of the same product type. Being on a DT is representing/demoing for the company, in fact selling for the company in an indirect way. So no, I even consider it even if the company said it was ok. I really don't know why they would, that is strange policy.
I'm thinking SU! probably said it was okay 'cause if they didn't, they risk losing a lot of very talented and highly visible demos, probably with huge (SU!) customer bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
....I do not consider myself, or any of them, as disingenuous, but, you are entitled to your opinion, of course.
Not??? Oh, no, Julie....you all look JUST like ingenues...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Many of these demos have contacted SU! and the consistent response has been that they are allowed to be on design teams while remaining a demo.
yes you are exactly right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Um, I had to go Google THAT word! How/why did you choose it?

dis�in�gen�u�ous (dĭs'ĭn-jěn'yōō-əs) Pronunciation Key
adj.
  1. [*]
dis'in�gen'u�ous�ly adv., dis'in�gen'u�ous�ness n.
Usage Note: The meaning of disingenuous has been shifting about lately, as if people were unsure of its proper meaning. Generally, it means "insincere" and often seems to be a synonym of cynical or calculating. Not surprisingly, the word is used often in political contexts, as in It is both insensitive and disingenuous for the White House to describe its aid package and the proposal to eliminate the federal payment as "tough love." This use of the word is accepted by 94 percent of the Usage Panel. Most Panelists also accept the extended meaning relating to less reproachable behavior. Fully 88 percent accept disingenuous with the meaning "playfully insincere, faux-na�f," as in the example "I don't have a clue about late Beethoven!" he said. The remark seemed disingenuous, coming from one of the world's foremost concert pianists. Sometimes disingenuous is used as a synonym for naive, as if the dis- prefix functioned as an intensive (as it does in certain words like disannul) rather than as a negative element. This usage does not find much admiration among Panelists, however. Seventy-five percent do not accept it in the phrase a disingenuous tourist who falls prey to stereotypical con artists.

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by tay0479View Post
You may not represent or assist any person or entity that sells products that are the same as or similar to Stampin' Up! products.
If a SU demo is receiving stamps from another stamp company and openly and publicly promoting the other company on their blog and directing people on where to purchase those stamps....how is that not a conflict of interest? I am confused on why SU claims that it is ok to be on another company's design team and promote their stamps but then put out the preceeding statement. It seems very contradictory on SU's end. Don't Paper Trey, Gina K, MFT, Stamping Bella all sell the same or similar product as SU?

I am not picking on anyone here...I could care less who promotes who....but never understood it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
I completely agree with you. It is something that has always bothered me whether it is considered right or wrong to SU, I know that if I were to join Stampin' Up as a demo (and I have considered doing so) I would certainly remain loyal to their product line. It is just too great!

What a good thought provoking thread!
Reply With Quote Likes