Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help!! Don't know what to do?

My sister was killed and I have all the articles 5-6 that ran in the newspaper. My problem is what do i put on the page with the articles . . .

I have them blank but it doesn't look right. . .but what i should or could put i'm not sure. . .and remember i have at least 5 of these. . .so i can't really do the same thing for all of them. .

Any suggestions would REALLY help!!

Thanks

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sorry for your loss. The only suggestion I have is to list words/qualities that describe your sister and perhaps make a border using several of them. This idea could probably be used for all the articles ... just change the fonts, colors, etc.

Hope this helps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

this is my first thought. 12 by 12 albumn her picture on the top half of the page and on the bottom of the page a folder type going across the whole bottom and the articles on tags and embellished use the large tag and if you have to make a mini accordian book because of the length of article. laminate the articles after you figure out how they will be placed. and then embellish them also ribbons flowers brads rhinestones just make them special. you could also incorporate this into a 2 page layout and have one side have her picture and one side have the memorial program that was given out at the church and then have 2 folder type things across the bottom and the stories of her life beutifully preserved on tag booklets in the pockets.

i know this is hard to imagine i dont describe my thoughts very well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm no help, cause I've been trying to make a book for my mom about my dad who committed suicide in 2003. I have the newspaper clippings (obit, memorial on anniversary and such) and am not sure how to incorporate them. I am thinking of using neutral "Heritage" colors. Not too depressing, but not over the top colorful, KWIM? I think they'd work better for newspaper articles.

I am so sorry for your loss. Scrapping about your sister will be very therapeutic I am sure.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

So Sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have no suggestions but I am so sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I dont have any suggestions either, but sorry about your loss. Thoughts & prayers to you & your family
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Default Example

I'm going to put pictures of her growing up and such and the fist pic will be a really pretty one of her. . .

but here's one of the lay outs i'm talking about. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Need help!! Don't know what to do?-img_3371-copy.jpg   Need help!! Don't know what to do?-img_3371-copy-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I to am so sorry for your loss. I have said a prayer for your sister and you and your family.
Maybe also incorporate things that she liked. If she liked flowers stamp a OSW and matte the article with it. The matte or page could be something else that she enjoyed and so on. That is what I do when I scrap. I am also going to be starting a book on my mother who passed away 19 years ago when I was 18. I am going to include things she enjoyed. I think it helps tie it all together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Jen, I am so sorry for your loss and know how much you want to keep all of the memories of her. I have lost both of my sisters and have kept a journal in memory. I think doing a scrapbook is a great idea to keep everything together. I thought about what i would do and think that I would do photos of her along with quotes or journaling of things she would say frequently or do to make you laugh. Maybe around the articles to help soften that page ( literally and physically) I would do pictures that go with what you are journaling. I wish you the best with this project and my love for your loss.
Angela ( A proud Marine wife )
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpfunnView Post
My sister was killed and I have all the articles 5-6 that ran in the newspaper. My problem is what do i put on the page with the articles . . .

I have them blank but it doesn't look right. . .but what i should or could put i'm not sure. . .and remember i have at least 5 of these. . .so i can't really do the same thing for all of them. .

Any suggestions would REALLY help!!

Thanks

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH ladies...bless your hearts..losing a sister has to be so painful. I have three sisters and it just brings tears to my eyes thinking about losing any one of them. Blessings to you both and your familes. (((((HUGS)))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default I am so sorry for your loss

Words can't even begin to soften this blow, but know that the scrappin you do will help now and later when you are having a tough time. When we lost my Dad. I put articles I had collected about him over the years (including the the last letter I wrote hime when he started treatment, his obit and program) on 12x12 white with black and white images all around in with a 50% grey tone so that they looked almost water marked. Thinking about it now, tissue would have worked well (as long as it is archival type) as well for a softer look. I then matted the articles with paper in his favorite colors. Someday I even plan to share those pages with other people, but right now they are mine and I still find solace in looking at them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

any ideas would be helpful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm so sorry for your loss. My idea for your pages is get rid of any black paper and use bright colored paper for your background. I'm thinking you choose some embelishments with angels or butterflies, and basically journal on the pages what kind of person she was and what it was about her that you loved and learned from her. I know it's hard, but maybe brightening up the pages and focusing on the celebration of her life will help you get through doing the pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you will find some comfort in dealing with your loss.

I think a nice and dignified way would be to display the articles on craft or white paper and decorate the edges with flourishes maybe using white craft ink.

I hope your craft will help you find some comfort.

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Have you thought about making a scrapbook for her and starting at a happy point? Eventually you would have to deal with her death but it is so healing to go through happy memories. Maybe start with pictures from when you were little, growing up, special pictures of the two of you. I'm thinking making it a tribute to her life and memory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jen,

I've created several memorial albums...so here are a few tips on what I did.

1) Choose one color scheme and embellishment and use throughout the album. For example my daughters were infants and their album is light pink/pale yellow with white embellishments. My Dad was a WWII vetran and his album is patriotic with red/white/blue colors and silver embellishments.

2) An album doesn't have to be just pictures or articles. You can include your own journaling, you can include poetry that's touched you, etc, etc.

3) If you want (and know enough people) you may want to ask people to write their memories of your sister. I did that with my Mom's album.

Hope those help a little. Also, one last suggestion...don't rush the album. Use it as a chance for healing and reflection. And if it's too painful...then wait and try again later.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 03:06 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I'm terribly sorry for your loss and our thoughts are with you. I agree with Jane (troopersma) - this project is something that you shouldn't rush. You've been given some great ideas in this thread that may help you along the way. Perhaps when you think of your sister, as I'm sure you're doing often, make a note of what it is you're thinking about - it might be a memory of something you did as children or even something you did more recently. This might help you form your journalling. I often use my journalling as the starting point for my pages - if I know what I want to say, I can sometimes say it in pictures and embellishments as well as the journalling itself. I hope that makes sense and I wish you well with your project. I'm sure it will be therapeutic for you.

Cav
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Jen,

I am so sorry for your loss.

I would do the pages/book to reflect your sister. Use her favorite colors, favorite flowers/shapes. Maybe for that particular layout, choose a soft gray that coordinates with her favorite color (black is too stark). Did she like a particular author, or have favorite poetry? Music lyrics? Maybe add that as well (something, that when you see it now, you hear it being read in your sister's voice).

Did you and your sister ever talk about death? I know that sounds strange! But, did someone (whether someone close, or someone famous that you admired) pass away, and the passing bring up a conversation about what it's like (for either party), or what she would want, or even what she would do? (not to be morbid, I have had conversations like that lead by my kids...they talk about getting to meet relatives in heaven)

I don't watch Dr. Phil much, but one of the Dr. Phil-isms I do remember is: Don't hyper focus on the moment of death of a loved one...remember the good moments as well. Death should not define how you remember a person.

I hope your project brings you peace.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

So Sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersmaView Post
Jen,

I've created several memorial albums...so here are a few tips on what I did.

1) Choose one color scheme and embellishment and use throughout the album. For example my daughters were infants and their album is light pink/pale yellow with white embellishments. My Dad was a WWII vetran and his album is patriotic with red/white/blue colors and silver embellishments.

2) An album doesn't have to be just pictures or articles. You can include your own journaling, you can include poetry that's touched you, etc, etc.

3) If you want (and know enough people) you may want to ask people to write their memories of your sister. I did that with my Mom's album.

Hope those help a little. Also, one last suggestion...don't rush the album. Use it as a chance for healing and reflection. And if it's too painful...then wait and try again later.

Jane
Great ideas. We also chose pastels for DS, poetry, scripture, letters we wrote to him, photos from the funeral. I used some sympathy cards too - some I cut out a beautiful saying or poem, some a pretty picture.

I would recommend copying your newspaper clippings with acid free ink onto archival paper. Newspaper is the worst for surviving time. Just 10 years or so it will be very brown/yellow and fragile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my beautiful 16 y/o daughter Hannah 3 1/2 yrs ago to a car accident and no she wasn't driving (Usually the first question I get). I am just now becoming able to go through pictures and starting hers, very slowly. My suggestion is to start simple. As time goes on and the sshock wears off you will probably want to change the original format. Take your time, shed lots of tears and peace to you and your family.

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

So sorry for you loss. I would want to keep these in my scrapbook but in a separate page protector/page pocket. I wouldn't want to add glue to the orginal articles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't scrap so I don't have any suggestions....I just wanted to send my sympathy to you and your family......I have had several tragic losses in my family as well.
Reply With Quote Likes