Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

If you see a card or scrapbook page in the gallery that is beautifully done but has a misspelled word on it, what do you do? Do you tell that person or just let it go? I've seen several in the gallery and I just let it go because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I WANT to tell them....'your' and 'you're' seem to be misspelled the most. Maybe I'm just obsessive about these things, but if I'm giving a card to someone, I want the spelling correct.

Any thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I am very particular about my spelling too ... but quite honestly, if it was a card or scrapbook page that was posted on SCS, by someone you dont know personally, I would not say anything to the person ... you would quite possibly hurt their feelings. Some people just arent as AR about spelling as others and if it doesnt bother them (because they probably dont even know they spelled it wrong), it shouldnt bother us. That's just my opinion. If it was someone I knew well, I would probably mention it because I know that they wouldnt take my comment as criticism, because they know me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I had something misspelled on a card a long time ago, someone was kind (and brave) enough to let me know, I was very thankful....a little embarrassed, but thankful all the same! Misspelled words make me crazy, I couldn't live without my "spellcheck" (let's see, is that one word or two) button on my toolbar and give me an "edit" button and I am just plain giddy :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #4  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm afraid I misspell things often, and as far as I know, I can't run a spell check on my comments. Personally, when I read comments or card descriptions, I realize people are hurrying along - so , just my humble opinion - but I would just leave it!! Actually, I have a hilarious card in my gallery entitled Vegatarian something rather than the correct Vegetarian. Oh well - still gots lots of comments and no one corrected me. Hey - this is a stamping site! spread the love, I say!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I would let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

People in glass houses...

I just mean - even if you are meticulous about spelling it could happen to you too - my daughter's teacher is that way and you should see the doozy in yesterday newsletter.

Show some grace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

...that's yesterday's newsletter (see, I live in a glass house;))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would certainly make notice of the error. I would certainly want someone to tell me.

Your cards/scrap book pages are a reflection of you. Why would you want to put across the idea that you're not careful and proud of your work? The embellishments and other items you attach to your creative works are not everything, the words are a very important part of the total project.

If you don't have spell check, then you can use a dictionary or a word spelling book. I keep both on the shelf above my computer. I also use spell check on my computer.

I also agree.....your and you're are used incorrectly many times.

The above are just my opinions as I know others differ.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I made THIS card for my niece's 8th birthday. I was all proud that I had masked the candles to make 8 candles ... until somebody PM'd me to tell me there were only 7! Doh!

I was not offended ... I thought it was funny and pretty typical for me. I'm forever doing stuff like that!

I sent the card anyway - it was still just as pretty, just not quite as clever! haha!

I guess I can see how some people might be upset at somebody pointing out something like that though...

For the record - if you see me spelling something wrong or putting the wrong number of candles on a cake feel free to tell me!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I would definitely let it go. I think it might hurt someone more than help them. In a certain thread where we are all very close, yes, there are corrections but not just to random stampers. I don't think it's very kind honestly. This is not English class. lol.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe the lady is a perfectonist and thought it would be important to you to know it only had 7 instead of 8.

Proud fan club member!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would want to be told via private message. If I was going to be sending that to someone, I would be very grateful to you for telling me!

Something like "I was just admiring your _________ project in the gallery. I hope this isn't offensive in any way, but I happened to notice a spelling error on your _____________ card. It should be ________. I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not, but I would want to know. I hope I made the right decision by telling you! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work in the gallery!"

I hope I don't get this letter in my own inbox 5 minutes from now! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would want to know. A misspelling in a thread or title of the photo is not very important IMO, but an unintentional misspelling on an actual scrapbook page that is meant to be treasured for a long, long time and looked at by close family and friends is different. I would appreciate being told about a misspelling on something important like that.

This would be especially true if the misspelling was on a large prominent word.

But then again... maybe if it occurred in the journaling, like in the middle of a handwritten paragraph and was much less prominent, than maybe that would be okay...then the kids might reminisce over it one day and fondly remember their mother's misspellings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told. I wasn't offended. I had already mailed the card so I just added note that I now knew it was spelt wrong and that it was ok.

You can tell me if it's me. If it's a really old sheep card of mine I already know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I would want to be told via private message. If I was going to be sending that to someone, I would be very grateful to you for telling me!

Something like "I was just admiring your _________ project in the gallery. I hope this isn't offensive in any way, but I happened to notice a spelling error on your _____________ card. It should be ________. I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not, but I would want to know. I hope I made the right decision by telling you! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work in the gallery!"

Well put. I think that's a very tasteful way of putting it. I hope someone would let me know...although I rarely write my own text on cards. It does drive me buggy when I see misspellings on cards/scrapbook pages in publications, however. A magazine ought to be careful about that....here on SCS where most of us are just amateurs, no big deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, there seems to be quite a variety of thoughts on this! Thanks for everyone's opinions! I certainly would like to know if I spelled something wrong- especially if it were for someone else...so, if you see anything misspelled on my cards or pages, please let me know!

...and Erin, no it wasn't you! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Let it go. I made my husband a huge scrapbook for Father's Day last year. He got his undergrad degree in English and worked for awhile as a copywriter and proofed lots of things.

Before I gave the book to him I told him- Do not tell me if I spelled anything wrong. I will die.

He never said a word. Later I found a couple typos. Love that man.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

well,
I mis spell things all the time.
and someone above mentioned she didn't think she could spell check her comments...

ladies you can download a free program called ieSpell and if you right click on a box you are typing in on the internet you get a drop down menu and one of the choices is check spelling.
http://www.iespell.com/
( it doesn't check the grammer though ~ haha)

( or you can just click on the go advanced and get the same thing from the site )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Let it go, I agree with Gina. I'm an English teacher, and I see mistakes on EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING! I even see mistakes on my own posts, and I get a little embarrassed because lots of girls here know what I do! But we are human. We make mistakes. Don't worry your pretty little head over it!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to agree with Gina and some of the other ladies. This is supposed to be a fun, right? Sometimes when you type a comment you just try to hurry and get it posted and after you hit that button you find all of these little snags in there. Thank goodness for the edit button. I do it all the time, well, I know! But let me tell you. I am "German" and "English" is my second language. Sometimes I think "English" but write "German" if that makes sense :rolleyes: . We should not make a big deal out of it. Everybody makes mistakes, we are only human and even the people with a degree in "English" have their days . Let it go and move on
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #21  
New Mommy

Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts

If I didn't know them, I wouldn't say anything......unless they were asking for opinions.

On the other hand, *I* would want someone to tell me if I spelled something wrong.....even a stranger!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about typos in comments, titles or directions/recipes...we ALL do that!! Sometimes my fingers get going quicker than my brain- or vice versa! :rolleyes: I'm talking about a mis-used or misspelled word on a card or scrapbook page...

Thanks to everyone who has commented!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post

Although I can see the intentions were good, I don't think this would actually go over well with many people - because it might come across as just sugar coating a flaw that is being pointed out. When you use 'but' it says, this is what I really want to say - and so many people could read a carefully thought out comment like this and just read that someone is pm'ing me to point out this flaw. I think most would respond equally kind and say 'thank you for pointing that out' - but they still might be hurt.

I just think that you have to have some sort of relationship with a person to be able to offer criticism and not have it taken wrong (in most cases). I see there are several people who've said they wouldn't be offended - and I probably wouldn't either depending on how it was worded, but when it comes to people's feeling I think we can't be too careful - and after all, it is just a spelling mistake - even those of us who are picky about spelling make those sometimes - ya know?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

When I see a misspelled word on a layout, I assume that the creator has already been PM'd a dozen times over pointing it out, so I keep my mouth shut... I personally would not like being edited by strangers, no matter how helpful and kind they are trying to be. As a previous poster also said, being spelling or grammar challenged can be a part of who someone is, and those mistakes showing up in their labors of love can be endearing because it just reflects all the more that person, weaknesses and all.
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I'm with those who would want to be told. I'm an English grad student/teacher, so if I have a misspelling, I want someone to tell me so I don't feel silly sending the card to someone! I wouldn't be offended in the least - in fact, I'd be grateful!

But I can see how some people wouldn't want to be told, especially in the scenario Gina K. described. If I gave my husband something and he told me about all the stuff I did wrong when I made it, I'd probably deck him! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd just let it go. IMO this falls along the line of the old saying, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

On a similar note, I've seen several projects (made by different SCSers) where the adhesive was showing from underneath the embellishments. I don't know if it shows just because of the camera angle when the SCSers photographed their creations, or whether the people just weren't being careful. It seems to be most noticeable with pop dots/dimensionals. I didn't say anything to the creators of those projects, and just moved along to the next item in the gallery. To me, having the adhesive sticking out is kinda like having your slip showing from underneath your dress, or your tag hanging out of your shirt collar. KWIM? :oops:

Last edited by PH in VA; 01-23-2008 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is one of those situations where you need to tread LIGHTLY. There are people who simply cannot spell. And that is not the same thing as a typo!! If a card, for instance, reads Happy Brithday, that is pretty obviously just a *stampo* (typo for stampers) and most people would be ok with that correction. (I think so at least!)

But, things like you're and your may not be errors so much as a belief that they are spelling and using the word correctly. For many people, being corrected in that situation would be embarassing or even humiliating!! (I remember as a kid being afraid I would give the wrong answer and everyone would laugh at me.)

So unless you know the person or have read lots of posts from them and know that their grammar and spelling are usually correct, I wouldn't tell them. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes