Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not stamping felt SO good!!! Who would think!

With temperatures in the single digits here this past weekend, I had planned to stay in my PJ's and stamp the cold away. I went to my stamp room, which is in our basement, early Saturday morning, ready for some stamping. I got there and turned the light on and the mess just overwhelmed me! I tend to leave my room messy because I feel since it is downstairs, no one will see the mess. I started thinking about stamping on my terribly messy desk and how frustrated I get when I am stamping in a little 10" X 10" area because the rest is so cluttered.

I decided I would give my stamp room a serious cleaning! I went through all my cabinets, organizing and eliminating. I cleaned out all my customer files (hasn't been done in almost 5 years!). I cleaned my desk. I made new containers out of things I was going to throw away, to store things in like sponges and q-tips. I sorted all the scraps of DSP and cardstock that had been tossed to the side, and filed those. I set up tons of samples and projects, as I am having my first open house here (I moved a few months ago) and I would like them to be displayed. I added some baskets for storage. I hung things up to hold my apron and SU! bags. I cleaned everything and moved some items for easier access when I am stamping. I spent about 8 hours doing all this. When I was done...I FELT GREAT! I kept going downstairs to see what I had accomplished! It looks so good and inviting to stamp! This morning I woke up early, went down before work, and completed today's challenge. It was so nice to stamp in such a clean, organized area!

I didn't make it a New Year's resolution to get it together, but I am glad I did! Like I said, not stamping never felt so good! I had a fun time finding things I hadn't seen in years and I am thrilled with my area. It is like having a whole new stamp room! BTW, I threw away 1 huge box full of junk and 4 bags of garbage! That made my husband happy!

Last edited by stampcrazzzy; 01-21-2008 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: I can't type!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Good for you! It does feel good to have it all clean and organized, doesn't it? I did that earlier in the month and now find myself more efficient in my stamping as I don't have to dig through the piles of stuff!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

What a successful day you had. I definitely find my stamp room is more inviting when it's clean and tidy. Good for you.

Sibylle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow - we must live in a parallel universe. I went into the weekend thinking about cards I wanted to make (a few b-day cards for friends, some swap cards), and when I went into my room I had the same thought of ugh. I haven't completely reorganized, but tidied up, sorted, filed scraps, and generally made my stamp room a nicer place to be in. I think two things contributed to my desire to tidy up - first, our house was burglarized last week (fortunately, no one was home, and they only took two TVs) and during the walk through with the police officer he made the comment "wow, they really did a number in this room" referring to my craft room; unfortunately that was the only room not touched. My second epiphany came from watching Oprah while exercising (I go to a gym, and while running was reading the closed captioning); anyway, Suzie Orman was on, and was going through the house of this woman who had no financial sense - the house was in a major disarray, and Suzie asked "what do you think this says about how you care about yourself"? I couldn't get that question out of my mind when I went into the craft room, so I had to finally do something. Now, when I pass the room, I look in and see a nice and inviting place, where I can be creative again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanvmView Post
Wow - we must live in a parallel universe. I went into the weekend thinking about cards I wanted to make (a few b-day cards for friends, some swap cards), and when I went into my room I had the same thought of ugh. I haven't completely reorganized, but tidied up, sorted, filed scraps, and generally made my stamp room a nicer place to be in. I think two things contributed to my desire to tidy up - first, our house was burglarized last week (fortunately, no one was home, and they only took two TVs) and during the walk through with the police officer he made the comment "wow, they really did a number in this room" referring to my craft room; unfortunately that was the only room not touched. My second epiphany came from watching Oprah while exercising (I go to a gym, and while running was reading the closed captioning); anyway, Suzie Orman was on, and was going through the house of this woman who had no financial sense - the house was in a major disarray, and Suzie asked "what do you think this says about how you care about yourself"? I couldn't get that question out of my mind when I went into the craft room, so I had to finally do something. Now, when I pass the room, I look in and see a nice and inviting place, where I can be creative again.
First...I am so sorry to hear about the break in! How terrible, but that is great they didn't take too much. I know that is such an unsettling feeling though. Second...on a much lighter note....I laughed when I read what the police officer said! That is too funny...and I only laugh because I know that would have been the thought about my room too! When actually, anyone breaking in would probably have been afraid to go into my room! Maybe that's were we should keep the valuables!

I am glad you got your room organized and that you have the same awesome feeling about it! Clean is good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #6  
RCB
Stampin' Fool

I can identify with the good feeling that comes from having a tidy and organized work space ~ way to go! But.......do you find that it is sometimes hard to start getting things out again because you just don't want to mess it up again?? Kind of crazy, I know!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this last year and ..oh...it felt so good to have a clean space to work. Yes, you find things you forgot you had, and you also find things that you say - why in the world did I buy that?. I got real serious and filled a big box of stuff that was good, but I knew I would never use. My local scrapbook store has a "trash to treasures" table where you bring things in to sell and use the proceeds for store purchases. So, instead of tossing a bunch of stuff I took it there!
I also realized that I don't need 10 years of stamping magazines!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazzzyView Post
First...I am so sorry to hear about the break in! How terrible, but that is great they didn't take too much. I know that is such an unsettling feeling though. Second...on a much lighter note....I laughed when I read what the police officer said! That is too funny...and I only laugh because I know that would have been the thought about my room too! When actually, anyone breaking in would probably have been afraid to go into my room! Maybe that's were we should keep the valuables!

I am glad you got your room organized and that you have the same awesome feeling about it! Clean is good!
Thanks for the sympathy - my DH & I are getting used to the feeling. I was just sort of stumped by the policeman's comment since I realized that absolutely nothing had been touched in the room - I think I only faintly nodded and said "umm, yeah". I'm sure that it was the chaos in the room that was off-putting; it was kind of lucky, because that's the room that the computer is in, although you can't see it from the doorway (it's an odd shaped room). Even my DH made a comment about the fact that the theives probably didn't want to venture into the room for fear of never getting out again, hence saving the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazzzyView Post
That is too funny...and I only laugh because I know that would have been the thought about my room too! When actually, anyone breaking in would probably have been afraid to go into my room! Maybe that's were we should keep the valuables!
I have a laundry pile in my bedroom that I have yet to sort - Ironing, old clothes, mending, mismatched socks...and worry that if I were to have a fire, the fire department wouldn't be able to get to me in my bed! LOL! Actually, it's not THAT bad, but that bedroom door is NEVER left open.

I, too recently gave my stamping room a good cleaning. Nice way to start the year!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I just knew from your title that your thread was about cleaning and organizing your stamping space. I echo this sentiment - sometimes it's the only thing better than stamping, even if it seems like such a big task at the time. Congrats to you!
What's another word for synonym?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Job well done...now you can be really productive in your space!
Blessings.
Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I did this yesterday as well. I didn't finish but I am almost done. It was a great feeling. Now I am ready to get it dirty and stamp again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I did that this weekend myself and invited a friend over this afternoon to stamp. It really was nice to be able to stamp on a clean surface for a change.

If I have God and my health, I have everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanvmView Post
first, our house was burglarized last week (fortunately, no one was home, and they only took two TVs) and during the walk through with the police officer he made the comment "wow, they really did a number in this room" referring to my craft room; unfortunately that was the only room not touched.
Susan,

I had to laugh! I can SO relate. I remember once when my son was little I'd left the house and must have not pulled the door tight. (You know...lack of sleep and major depression will do that to you!) Anyways, when I came home it was dark but I could see the light peeking out from the door. I was afraid maybe someone had broken into the house and might still be there. So I went to the neighbors and her husband came home with me to check out the house. He went room to room going, "Did it look like THIS before?" I wanted to just DIE. And all for nothing...I must have just left the door open.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, if you aren't busy this weekend, I could sure use some help in MY craft room. I haven't seen the floor in some time, lol.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

this is a great thread, glad to hear you gals were able to clean up your spaces and feel good! I too have to do that every now and then. As CRAZY as this sounds - I actually sort of enjoy putting all my Stampin Stuff away & organizing it. Because I've been able to get this like the cubes, places to hang stuff etc, - it seems to make it easier and also allows me to look at all the stuff I have! LOL! My hubby is working on remodeling part of my room right now - I can't wait until that part is done so I can REALLY setup shop!! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I can appreciate you wanting to stay in out of the cold! I woke up yesterday morning to 30 below with the wind chill factor!

I live an hour east of Glacier Park in Montana - an hour from Canadian border.

In this little town, the wind is always blowing and you'd think we'd adjust, but 30 BELOW?

I did the same - cleaned, reorganized and rearranged! I was so proud of myself! My husband came home and was amazed. Not that it's ever messy, I clean up after every project. He was amazed HE could find HIS stuff, haha.

I stay inside when it's cold and I've gotten A LOT of cards made - for birthdays all the way through May!!!!!

I will REMAIN INDOORS until the temp remains above zero for a few hours!!!!!

Happy Stamping
Reply With Quote Likes