Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm noticing lots of circles....

Hi Everyone,
I've only been stamping for 2 years this spring....I think most stampers realize that circles and scallops are very big now. I am curious as to what was BIG about 5 years ago?? I really like a lot of the sets, but I don't know how far I should go with them...how many different circles or scallops can a stamper have and use? I know they will be fine for cards I give to friends for years and years. But I like to keep up with the trends for my own personal stamping satisfaction. How long are circles and scallops here for?

Anybody have any clues as to what they think will be coming down the pipeline the next few years? Or does no one, even the papercraft industry, really know?

(fun to look at ads for Pottery Barn, Pier I Imports....they all have circles on their pillows and china patterns...polka dots are here!!) (I do love polka dots).

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I hope for a long time, I just got into the scallop thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Great observation. As I am not a SU demo. I have the option of any product and company. So I wonder about trends. The wonderful cards, etc we see are, of course, spotlighting the current lines. Since I keep everything forever, I've been wondering if there is such a thing as CLASSIC designs and stamps.

Since I am buying for the long-haul, what products are base-line items and what materials will be most likely to remain keepers? Do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Personally I can't see them ever going completely out. Especially with all the money people are investing in nestabilities (sp?) and scallop punches. It just seems like this is one of those things that will stay..or maybe it's just my own wishful thinking:rolleyes:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Hi Everyone,
I've only been stamping for 2 years this spring....I think most stampers realize that circles and scallops are very big now. I am curious as to what was BIG about 5 years ago?? I really like a lot of the sets, but I don't know how far I should go with them...how many different circles or scallops can a stamper have and use? I know they will be fine for cards I give to friends for years and years. But I like to keep up with the trends for my own personal stamping satisfaction. How long are circles and scallops here for?

Anybody have any clues as to what they think will be coming down the pipeline the next few years? Or does no one, even the papercraft industry, really know?

(fun to look at ads for Pottery Barn, Pier I Imports....they all have circles on their pillows and china patterns...polka dots are here!!) (I do love polka dots).
That is so interesting and funny because I just bought a new bedspread with circles on it. I didn't even think about it until I read your post about ads for Pottery Barn! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

You know what was big a few years back and no one uses them any more is the decorative scissors. I have a drawer full of them and for the most part haven't touched them for the longest time.

Also, quite a few years ago, maybe more than 5, the country thing was in. The stitched country look stamps with plaids and buttons in them.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Funny you should ask. I was just looking through a 2003-2004 Stampin' Up! catalog -- it was their 15th anniversary catalog so 4 years ago, not five, but pretty close. Anyway, looking through it there really weren't a lot of circles. SU punches were mostly corner punches (I miss those!) and shapes like leaves, dragonfly, folk heart, etc. The only "standard" shapes were a 1 3/8" square and 1 1/4" circle -- LOL!

I know many people here have outgrown that style and have moved on, but I still love all those stamps and layouts. Don't get me wrong, I like the current styles as well, but those older stamps, some of which retired before I even started stamping, really made my heart race. I also realized that I must, must, must find the Gifts of Spring set for myself. I just love it!

Is it wrong to secretly hope that some of those older trends will come around again soon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #8  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Funny you should ask. I was just looking through a 2003-2004 Stampin' Up! catalog -- it was their 15th anniversary catalog so 4 years ago, not five, but pretty close. Anyway, looking through it there really weren't a lot of circles. SU punches were mostly corner punches (I miss those!) and shapes like leaves, dragonfly, folk heart, etc. The only "standard" shapes were a 1 3/8" square and 1 1/4" circle -- LOL!

I know many people here have outgrown that style and have moved on, but I still love all those stamps and layouts. Don't get me wrong, I like the current styles as well, but those older stamps, some of which retired before I even started stamping, really made my heart race. I also realized that I must, must, must find the Gifts of Spring set for myself. I just love it!

Is it wrong to secretly hope that some of those older trends will come around again soon?

Ironically, I also miss the decorative corner punches...

As for the older SU! sets...I don't even sell them on evilbay...They are currently hiding under Markie's bed, my bed, my closet, MY OFFICE closest and Markie's closet...I know...I'm really bad...

However, I HOPE that one day, when I retire from being a demo,(yeah, right!) that I will use all the sets and not even blink an eye!

I have all the accessories too...I refuse to get rid of any of the old punches, embossing powders, Pearl Ex, etc. I STILL use them, along with the old ribbons. My customers stock piled the gold, silver, and copper cording, so I often use it, too!

Many moon ago, we alway used the scissors, the BOLD stamps, and the "country type" stamps...I still have them, too! LOL! Maybe trends will shift? I hope so...I still have stove pipe jeans that FIT in my dresser! LOL! Hey, my bellbottoms were back in style!LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
There is an increasing popularity for "vintage" style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I made a vintage mini album with a lot of circles in it.... am I into the hype now??? *lol*
You can see it here : Pay it forward : mini album by Poekietoe at Splitcoaststampers
and more details on my blog : http://poekietoe.blogspot.com/2008/0...ini-album.html
TFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, imho... circles have always been around.. when I started scrapbooking some 15-odd years ago I bought the old thick plastic templates that you had to trace over your photo then cut out by hand... so, I think circles have always been around, just the products used to *create* them have changed and improved... next was the punches, now nestabilities and die-cuts.. just keeps getting easier and a little more expensive with each new *gadget*... i think the basic shapes... circle, square, rectangle, oval... will always be around... how you manage to *make* it may change....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

[QUOTE=markie's mom;8396679]Ironically, I also miss the decorative corner punches...

As for the older SU! sets...I don't even sell them on evilbay...They are currently hiding under Markie's bed, my bed, my closet, MY OFFICE closest and Markie's closet...I know...I'm really bad...

QUOTE]

LOL! I never get rid of anything either because I don't by it if I don't love it. Our closets must look pretty similar, only yours sound fuller!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
There is an increasing popularity for "vintage" style.
that's awesome! More vintage is good. But I also want more of everythig that was in that 2003-2004 catalog. Seriously, as I started looking through it there were maybe 20 sets in the whole big book that I didn't want, and the styles of stamps were all different (lines, solid, cute, pretty, delicate, bold, sketchy, etc.) I guess maybe at heart I'm an old-fashioned stamper. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At my first SU workshop (1999), I think squares were the big thing. I remember the demo using Little Shapes and stamping the bold square and then stamping the bear from Announcements over that. Then she used a square punch on the other card where she punched a square in the top middle and stamped something on the inside of the card right in line with the square. Everyone ohhh'd and ahhh'd about that square window. There were no embellishments. Just a bit of background, a sentiment and the window.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #15  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
At my first SU workshop (1999), I think squares were the big thing. I remember the demo using Little Shapes and stamping the bold square and then stamping the bear from Announcements over that. Then she used a square punch on the other card where she punched a square in the top middle and stamped something on the inside of the card right in line with the square. Everyone ohhh'd and ahhh'd about that square window. There were no embellishments. Just a bit of background, a sentiment and the window.

Did we attend the same workshop???LOL!

I remember going to a stamping class and the demo did the same thing! I wonder if it was on the website! LOL!

I really think that the circles are making a come back. When I first started scrapbooking, many YEARS ago, circles were the big thing...Then, it went to squares and rectangles-for faster pages...I just dragged out several scrapping mags from back then, and they are full of circles that were TRACED and cut out! (Wow...that took major patience!) AND...many of the alphabets were also hand cut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I absolutely love old stamps, vintage if you have it. I have plenty of them. have SU stamps from several years ago. I use them when I need them. After I sign up, I don't plan to sell my retired stamps. I actually traded for an SU set that I don't know how many years ago it's from. It is a Paris outdoor street set.
I am sure things will come around again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I agree with BeeStamper. The basic shapes will never go out or look outdated. Now if we go through something like a hexagon phase, that will fade away as a trend.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

When I started stamping 12 years ago the trend was all country. Button Bear was the bomb and anything plaid, country blue and pink, and chalked was the trend and the pastels were my "must have" purchase.

Then the trend changed to two step stamping like DD Hydrangea and DD Branch. It was a revelation bc we didn't always have to color everything in to make a cute card. All I dreamed about was having all the colors in a color family to coordinate all those big thick lined and solid images.

The trend then turned to lacy, frilly, watercolory images and stamps. The images were thick with lines and lots of detail. The big thing I wanted were the lacy background stamps, fancy images, fancy cutting scissors and blender pens. I just died to have crystal effects, and the new roller wheels.

There was the Tag era, where making the most eclectic tags with super cool fibers and tons of layers was nirvana.

Then came the rippy trend, shoot every card in the catalog at the time had a wripped edge. Natural fibers were big, ripping the CS was huge, the images were a bit more earthy. Buttons got popular and the little sprinkle stamp from Itty Bitty Basics had to be on every card! The new stamp pads were out and was the coolest design so new-pad lust was in full swing.

Then came the embellishment and technique era where finding new techniques was a passion and we pulled out the waxed paper, alcohol, mesh onion bags and anything that would distort paper to look like something else. I had to have glossy paper and sponges, I had to have mono adhesive, I had to have pearlex, and I had to have a corner punch and that little notch corner punch!

Fast forward to SCS and now it's the stuff era, as a result of this site (which I adore) I have had to have background stamps, prisma color pencils, all the punches that I can find, chipboard, etc, etc...

Do I think the scallop trend will last. NOOOOOO WAAAAAAY. The lid is off and we are now the subject of ever changing trends that tempt us with one more thing.

My advice...Pace your spending, make what you like and hold on for the ride!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I agree totally about the scallop thing. Eventually, it too, will fade. We will look back at ourselves 3 or 4 years from now and say, "What were we thinking???"

I see it as a trend, like many other things...
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think the shapes will go out. I am really loving the scallops and HOPE they don't go out! It seems the biggest changes are the colors and stamp images. I am looking into purchasing nestabilities so in my own little world, those will never go out!!!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the scallops will fade... but I bought a few nestabilities until that time comes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Mmmmm perhaps since I have bought oval nestabilities, that I'd better get in and use 'em fast. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is one of the reasons that I shy away from scrapbooking....I worry about my projects looking so dated. I tend to cringe at anything I made more than 6 months ago, kwim?

Very interesting thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I actually like scrapbooking with the products of the times, it tells the story about what things were like during that time as much as the photos and the journaling. Remember that 80s hair? I wish I could change those photos)

I too believe that the scallop trend will fade, but right now I plan on having a blast with it. They are so much fun and you can use them in so many projects. Circles and scallops make projects come together really quickly and in this day and age, quick and simple is a very good thing.

The other thing I use is a lot of Designer Series Paper. Most of my holiday projects used that paper. Using it makes projects extremely fast and cost effective.

I am not sure what the next trend will be, right now I am just loving what is happening in the market now. I love the 'doodle-type' sets as well. Watercoloring is one of my favorite things to do with my stamps.

Enjoy!

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh those scallops! I just got my Marvy giga one, and I already feel like I'm behind on the times.
I remember my first SU workshop that I attended - lots of quilted country look, the garden angel with the raggedy anne looking dress, the folk-sy star with a button in it, oh my word.
I see the whole doodle thing and bird look going out of style soon although I like the whimsy look.
Speaking of outdated scrapbooks, oh my goodness! I peeked at the boys' books (now 10 and 12 yo) and wow. What a difference a decade makes. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Wow! That was a fun stroll down SU's memory lane! I also began stamping about 10 years ago and my first stamp sets were the Lighthouse and Perfect Plaids, Romantic Rose and Brushstroke Hummingbird! I follow the trends to a degree and enjoy the change in styles but there are some sets I'll NEVER get rid of and will come back to time and again! My personal faves are Petal Prints, Oriental Gardens, Old World Map, Botanicals & Fly Fishing~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

I think the scallops will fade, then come back, fade again, then come back, in a never-ending cycle. Sort of like flaired-leg jeans. Only prettier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Florals and butterflies never go out of style! The older stamps I use the most are my floral stamps. I have some that are more than ten years old that still look fresh and suitable on the cards I make today.
I started buying stamps in 1996, and the country look was very 'in'. Luckily, I didn't buy too many of that style, but I keep what I have because trends tend to come around again.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with the repeating trends idea. Just look at the retro 50's look. Other than Art Deco, has there been any noteworthy styles since that 50's MODERN decor? I bet country re-emerges without the cluttered, cutsey look. The wonderful thing about the country look was the craft aspect that anyone could put together. It encouraged many to try their hand. Some of us older crafters remember using Elmer's glue to put gathered lace around picture frames -- and everything else. In fact yesterday, I had my hand on a spool of lace. Wanted to add it to Valentine Cards for some senior groups. Decided I MUST have plenty in my old sewing stuff so put it back.

Was looking for LIGHTHOUSE stamps recently. Couldn't find any. Now I know why. The trend passed me by. I like to use them to create gift cards for my Love Gift Bags given to homeless men.

I wonder if the wonderful Thomas Kincaide stamps will usher in a return to nostalgia type stamps. Since most of my stamped creations go to seniors, I know they would love the look.

It is fun to see how each season of new releases evolve. Regardless of what the future brings, I will continue to hang on to my oldies but goodies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Default cupcakes

I notice that cupcake patterns are popular too - my granddaughter had a pajama set from Baby Gap and there were cupcakes galore and her Roxy jacket reminded me of the SU circle pattern DP awhile ago.
Reply With Quote Likes