Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pet peeve quotes on stamps...

This is along the lines of the misspelled words thread...
What about sayings that are credited to people who probably never really said
it... I have a stamp that really bugs me. I really like the saying but
i'm pretty sure the person "quoted" never said it.

I almost think they are trying to give the phrase credibility
I have even dreamed up some of my own...

" Always Travel Light" Howard Hughes LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, what bothers me more than that is when NO credit is given to the person who said it. I remember something about a stamp like that from SU! (want to say it was French Script). It seems that when these things happen it is because the company believes either 1) everyone knows who said it so they don't need to give credit or 2) the quote is esoteric (as in the case with French Script). I just don't understand why slapping the appropriate name at the end of a quote is such a bother. And if the consumer doesn't like it she can snip it off or not ink it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

My pet peeve is any sentiment that begins with the word "So." Don't know why, it just drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

How about a single word? I can't stand the word Cherish! I don't go around every day saying I cherish this and that. For some reason that word bothers me to no freaking end. Cherish is some thing you do very seldom in your life such as when you say that you cherish your children's laughter or something along those lines. It is a deep feeling, an emotional one, not to be use in the context of just liking something.

Ok, off my crabby soapbox.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I won't buy the new SU 'Smarty Pants' set because one quote was incorrectly credited. I love the 'Friend. Good.' sentiment, but Frankenstein did not say that. Dr. Frankenstein was the man who created the monster and it his monster who stated, in his delightfully succinct way, that friends are good. The credit should go to 'The Creature' (which would make little sense to most people) or to 'Frankenstein's Monster'.

Last edited by 2katjes; 01-15-2008 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: who says I can write?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh Melissa, thanks for your comments. I also absolutely hate the Cherish sentiment. I'm thinking, who in the heck would you send that to? No one I know and if I did they would think I was nutty. Another pet peeve of mine is all the mushy friend stamps. Now I have friends, but only one or two that I would say anything mushy to and I'll bet I have 20 stamps that to me are absolutely useless because of the friend sentiment. Saw a stamp at the stamp store a few weeks ago that said "Your Special" -- I'm thinking, your special what? Did no one tell them that in that context it should have been a contraction? Where's the apostrophe? Who did their proofreading. Oh well, my friends say I am always picky about things.

Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the 'Cherish' sentiment. I would only use this for a wedding card....maybe a sympathy card, as in Cherish memories. But to stamp it on any other card?...there are few people/occasions I could use this and not feel I was going overboard. Only close family would ever get 'cherish' from me. Just my opinion....I guess I would feel shy using this for someone that was not a close friend/family member.

Stamping a sentiment on the front of a card changes the whole feeling of the card; I think it is important to pay extra attention to what you are stamping and not just stamp a sentiment because it comes with a set.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret WilburnView Post
Oh Melissa, thanks for your comments. I also absolutely hate the Cherish sentiment. I'm thinking, who in the heck would you send that to? No one I know and if I did they would think I was nutty. Another pet peeve of mine is all the mushy friend stamps. Now I have friends, but only one or two that I would say anything mushy to and I'll bet I have 20 stamps that to me are absolutely useless because of the friend sentiment. Saw a stamp at the stamp store a few weeks ago that said "Your Special" -- I'm thinking, your special what? Did no one tell them that in that context it should have been a contraction? Where's the apostrophe? Who did their proofreading. Oh well, my friends say I am always picky about things.

Margaret
I agree with every single thing stated above!

I also don't care for the single sentiment "Kind" or "Believe" or (my all time "favourite") "Smile". I hate having someone tell me to smile. If I feel like smiling, I'll smile. If I don't feel like smiling ...

(Stepping off my soapbox now...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret WilburnView Post

Margaret
The friend stamps drive me crazy, too. And I'm absolutely appalled at stamps with grammatical and punctuation errors.

Cherish may be something a scrapbooker may use, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post

I'm a scrapbooker and I don't like Cherish either. My first reaction when I read this on a layout is "Cherish what?".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I scrapbook as well and you will never see anything sappy like 'cherish' in my books. I wish someone would come out with craft supplies for scrapbookers that are edgy, sassy, funky, fun, witty, smart, etc. Put it this way- I've never once considered buying one of those Hallmark type cards that begin with 'For My Husband' in some frilly script font with some lame story of gushy love. Its crass and sometimes obscene for us! My husband would choke me if I got all mushy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I don't like most of the sentiments that come with the SU sets. I really hate the ones in Garden Whimsy, but especially the one that says "the time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here." I have no idea what that sentiment is supposed to be for, but I always want to make cards using it because it makes a cute trail behind the butterfly or bug. Once I've made the card, I never use it because I don't want to send a card with such a stupid saying on it to anyone I know! I made one with a "wish big" sentiment on it that would be okay for a birthday, but other than that, I don't know what to do with that dumb saying. Maybe congrats?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I detest the word "BLISS" and SU seems to be very attached to it.... *sigh*
What does "Follow your bliss" mean??

I also purchased a quote stamp that I loved... and they spelled Gandhi's name wrong on it! "GHANDI" Ugh... so I had to cut the name off of the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #14  
dal
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2katjesView Post
I won't buy the new SU 'Smarty Pants' set because one quote was incorrectly credited. I love the 'Friend. Good.' sentiment, but Frankenstein did not say that. Dr. Frankenstein was the man who created the monster and it his monster who stated, in his delightfully succinct way, that friends are good. The credit should go to 'The Creature' (which would make little sense to most people) or to 'Frankenstein's Monster'.
Wow I thought it was just me! I took a class from Leonard Wolf who wrote the Annotated Frankenstein - he would go nuts if anyone ever called Frankensteins creation anything but "The Creature"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I never thought about the Frankenstein quote - I just figured they were naming the book it was from.

But yeah, the mispellings and grammar mistakes bug me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I am one who very rarely uses a sentiment stamp, usually only when I do a card for a SCS challenge. I tend to just write something personal inside. If it is for someone I don't know well, I will use a generic sentiment.

I never really thought about the "Cherish" stamp. Now that it has been mentioned, I think I only have used it for one project. I bought little, wooden jewelry boxes that I painted and decorated for Christmas presents. I stamped the word "Cherish" on those. I think that is the only time I used it, and it seems appropriate for the jewelry box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish they would just offer the sentiments separately. I wish all companies would do this, not just SU!. I have no use for sentiments in English other than "Happy Birthday" and "Thanks" but already have tons of those. So often I love the images, but the sets are "contaminated" by sentiments I don't want to pay for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I really hate the ones in Garden Whimsy, but especially the one that says "the time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here."
I don't like that one either, because it sounds BOSSY to me.
I'm not the kind of person to command someone to have a good day - right here, right now! ! !

LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

French Script is lines from a poem called, "Since Flowering May" by Victor Hugo. I haven't been able to find the entire poem translated due to copyright issues. It starts off,

"Since flowering May is calling us outside...
Come out! and blend it all deep in your heart--"

The beautiful French handwritten words do lend a sense of romance to whatever they are used on, which I suppose is the whole idea behind it.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair

Last edited by Kiko; 01-16-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My pet peeve word is "Believe", believe what? ESPECIALLY at Christmas time, are suppose to believe in Santa, or the birth of Christ?

How can you follow bliss? Isn't bliss an emotion, like happiness, contentment? How are does one follow an emotion?

I do use words on my cards, like "Thank you", "Get Well Soon", "Sympathy" and "Rejoice". Also when buying sets, since when do you actually "cherish" all the stamps in a set?
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
The friend stamps drive me crazy, too. And I'm absolutely appalled at stamps with grammatical and punctuation errors.

I couldn't agree more! The ones that drive me UP THE WALL are "I love ewe", "Hoppy Easter", "I love you BEARY Much", etc... Some people think they are cute, but they just make me gag. lol

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the chuckle!!! I agree with many of the ladies here!!! I don't scrapbook that much anymore BUT I can say I would not use "CHERISH" either!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I guess I'm an anomoly because I 'cherish' many things in my life - people, relationships, etc. - so that IS a word I would use...in fact I like it.

I must be a sappy feeler or something because I like 'friend' stamps and I like the word 'believe'. I can taylor a card to what I'm referring to as in what I hope the person believes - whether it be in themselves or in the future or ...

I guess they make sentiments like that for people like me. I also like words like 'home', 'family', 'faith' ... I really liked the 'think big' set from last winter's mini from SU.

Thanks to the person who explained what the french script stamp is quoting - I like it even more now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I'll play.

The whole point of this expression is that if you ate it, you would therefore no longer have it, and when originally coined, was:
"You can't eat your cake and have it, too!"
In other words, you must make a choice, because both are not possible.

The incorrect usage of the phrase, however has become quite common. . . :rolleyes: And, yeah, it drives me nuts. :rolleyes: Why, I do not know. Just does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use my cherish stamp for baby cards, valentines cards for dh and sometimes my kids (but usually theirs are more cute), and wedding cards.

I won't buy any stamp that has grammar errors. Or spelling errors...like mixing up their, they're and there...that just gripes me to no end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

OH, I thought I was the only one who thought so many of these sentiments were useless! I really like practical sentiments, especially those that Nichole comes up with in her Papertrey sets. I especially love her sentiments in the new set "Out on a Limb". Now those are priceless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #27  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with all of the above...
and sometimes there's nothing wrong with the phrase, it's just too "heavy"...

Like "I'm here for you always..please know that I care." I cut out the always! I mean a co-worker can know that I'm there for them if they have a relative pass away or something, but ALWAYS is a really long time~~

Same thing on stem sayings.... Always on my mind... forever in my heart...

Whew... too deep for most folks I know and would send a card to.

I need some sayings like, "hope you feel better soon" (doesn't always have to be 'get well' or 'thinking of you')

or "Sorry to hear of your loss." which could work for someone you don't know super well or the loss of a pet.

I would love, "You're in my thoughts and prayers." nice but not over the top, and it has an apostrophe as it should.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

[quote=Sibilance7;8377781]I don't like most of the sentiments that come with the SU sets. I really hate the ones in Garden Whimsy, but especially the one that says "the time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here." quote]

Sounds like something they'd tell you while they're handing you your meds and fastening your restraints! LOL

Seriously, that's why I make my own cards, to avoid those goofy sentiments like they have in the card stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Lynne and Nancy, I totally agree with your assessments of that sentiment! Just 2 more reasons to never use it! I saw a cute stamp at Joann's the other day that said thank you over and over again in roughly the same pattern, so maybe I'll buy that and use it as a substitute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Some of the more sentimental sayings would be useful if you were going to make cards to sell. I think lots of wives/husbands/sweethearts would buy a card that says "Always on my mind... forever in my heart..." to give to their loved one.

Having some of those type of sentiments available is probably a good option for lots of stampers.

I do have to agree with Lynn though... ALWAYS is a very long time (lol)!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I don't like most of the sentiments that come with the SU sets. I really hate the ones in Garden Whimsy, but especially the one that says "the time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here." I have no idea what that sentiment is supposed to be for, but I always want to make cards using it because it makes a cute trail behind the butterfly or bug. Once I've made the card, I never use it because I don't want to send a card with such a stupid saying on it to anyone I know! I made one with a "wish big" sentiment on it that would be okay for a birthday, but other than that, I don't know what to do with that dumb saying. Maybe congrats?
I used Garden Whimsy to make my youngest daughters birthday party invitations. I felt that the sentiment "the place to be happy is now, the time to be happy is here" was fitting for a party.

I havent used it since though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Those of you that don't like sappy "friendship" stamps need the one I have here in the store I manage... "You'll always be my best friend... you know too much!"

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #33  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cherish is on my list of stamps I'll never buy because my DD had a frienemy named Cherish. This girl was nothing but a trouble maker. Her family has moved and my DD and all her true friends do not miss this girl at all.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #34  
dal
Kookie Creator

Oh - almost forgot I hate "gentle toughts of you", so no stong thoughts or nice thoughts or happly thoughts - only gentle wimpy ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Somewhere online I saw a really cute friend stamp. Terrible grammar. I wouldn't want to send this to anyone but I had a good laugh when I read it.

"You and me is friends.
You cry...
I cry with you.
You laugh...
I laugh with you.
You jump off a bridge...
I gonna miss you.

As to the original post, you can check online for the validity of quotes. One way to check is to google a part of the phrase, making sure that you put quotation marks at the beginning and end. Another way is to hunt it up at www.quotationspage.com or www.brainyquote.com
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

I guess I just don't think very hard about sentiments. I thought the stamp from Garden Whimsy was cute and it adds some great texture when used as a background. I like Cherish, Smile etc. but the one that bothered me was the one in the Mother and Child set, something about God couldn't be everywhere. Now that bothered me.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #37  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yeah, I am like Pamela, I guess I havent thought much about it. I suppose we do get a lot of sentiments with stamps, even if we are just buying the images (I dont think I have any stamp sets without sentiments except backgrounds....do they even come that way?). I suppose I like having lots of options, even if I dont use most of them.

As far as the Friend, Good statement, I took just figured that maybe they simple meant from the book itself? Ah well.

I like the suggestions Lynn had. I like those sentiments! So many we have are very formal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

I agree with all of you and would add one of mine - Birthday Wishes. What kind of wishes? What is it you wish for someone on their birthday? I prefer the old standby of Happy Birthday. Short, sweet, to the point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4stampinView Post
I couldn't agree more! The ones that drive me UP THE WALL are "I love ewe", "Hoppy Easter", "I love you BEARY Much", etc... Some people think they are cute, but they just make me gag. lol

Anne
Funny you should say that...Just tonight, my DH was looking at the card that I made at my workshop that said you're unfrogetable, (sp?)...and he said, "that is stupid!"
I also am a stickler for good grammar. I can't stand bad grammar, in writing, speech or otherwise. I know I am not perfect either, but it sure does irritate me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les' GirlView Post
I guess I'm an anomoly because I 'cherish' many things in my life - people, relationships, etc. - so that IS a word I would use...in fact I like it.

I must be a sappy feeler or something because I like 'friend' stamps and I like the word 'believe'. I can taylor a card to what I'm referring to as in what I hope the person believes - whether it be in themselves or in the future or ...

I guess they make sentiments like that for people like me. I also like words like 'home', 'family', 'faith' ... I really liked the 'think big' set from last winter's mini from SU.

Thanks to the person who explained what the french script stamp is quoting - I like it even more now!
Not an anomoly. I do not agree with much of what was shared in this thread. I also Cherish many things. Perhaps some people need to realize that the world does not revolve around their likes only. I am glad for the words Cherish and Believe. I use them, just not as a single phrase on a card. I use it more as an accent. I also like the sentiment that tells you to be happy here and now. Why? Because too many of us are not content with the here and now and should learn to be so. I am sure I've made many grammatical errors in this posting. Not my strong suit. And too be honest there are more important things in life to worry about. Oh, and I also like the Punny phrases too.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes