Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CASE and how that works?

What do you do if someone is clearly using cards made at one of your workshops and posting them in their gallery as there own?:( Is it better off left alone?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 03:42 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

If you search the threads, you will find several dealing with this subject. There was one in particular from a couple of months ago which I remember reading which was very interesting/informative. If I wasn't doing my morning skim through the forums before going to work, I would search for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Okay, so I might be a little late today........
This is not the one I was thinking about, but I can't find it right now and I really, really don't have time to fine tune the search.

Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Perhaps if you suggested to this person that they give credit where credit is due. I have posted some cards that I made at a stamp club. One was my design but the rest were not. I put that bit of info in my description because I don't think it's fair not to post it. Now, I didn't say my demo's name in the post because I'm not sure if she would like me to, but I did say the design was not my own. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreamView Post
What do you do if someone is clearly using cards made at one of your workshops and posting them in their gallery as there own?:( Is it better off left alone?

i bet she knows now!

i usually post a link to the inspiration or at least say i was inspired by someone else. i wouldn't put the persons name tho.

good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure confronting this person is in my best interest at this point. I'll search for more info and then I'll decide I guess.I really appreciate the feedback! Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure confronting this person is in my best interest at this point. I'll search for more info and then I'll decide I guess.I really appreciate the feedback! Andrea
Why not just send her a note praising her card and saying how flattered you were to see the card you designed for the class posted in her gallery? You can say what a good job she did and say that you didn't see if she had posted that the design was from your class anywhere... it's diplomatic and yet gets the point across that she needs to give credit where credit is due.

If not, she'll read it as a compliment and no one gets hurt.

Just an idea.

Good luck~

Visit my Blog!
See my SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

I like how Gina has suggested you handle this,

I would you know leave a nice comment because being CASED is such a high form of flattery.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

I would just leave a comment saying "Glad you enjoyed the cards we made at the workshop so much to share here, Looks Great!"

or something like that...

When I 1st started stamping, I posted all the cards I made at workshops, I "made" them, KWIM?
No, she didnt create the design, but they were made by her hands so she probably thinks like I did when I used to go to workshops.

HTH
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaPView Post
Why not just send her a note praising her card and saying how flattered you were to see the card you designed for the class posted in her gallery? You can say what a good job she did and say that you didn't see if she had posted that the design was from your class anywhere... it's diplomatic and yet gets the point across that she needs to give credit where credit is due.

If not, she'll read it as a compliment and no one gets hurt.

Just an idea.

Good luck~
Good idea! Thanks,Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
I would just leave a comment saying "Glad you enjoyed the cards we made at the workshop so much to share here, Looks Great!"

or something like that...

When I 1st started stamping, I posted all the cards I made at workshops, I "made" them, KWIM?
No, she didnt create the design, but they were made by her hands so she probably thinks like I did when I used to go to workshops.

HTH
I didn't think of itlike that, Thaks, Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Andrea,

Have there ever been a day where you sat back and looked at the cards you have created in a workshop and said to yourself, "Hmm, you know I tweaked this one so it didn't look like the rest, maybe the color was different or maybe the placement was different, or maybe the entire look was different due to the different design paper that was used. When you stepped back, did you feel like "yeah, this one could be called mine." ? I know a person that likes to uses other peoples cards at there home workshops because they have difficulty thinking designs up on their own. I think what happened is a misunderstanding. The only way that you will know why it was done is to ask.

How's the weather there in South Carolina?

Last edited by Kari B.; 01-08-2008 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post

HTH
I did the same thing thinking I did make them;), lol. I've since taken the cards out of my gallery though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I think just giving a recognition that they were made somewhere else should be enough. I guess I would also have to examine "what is bothering me so much about it. "Why am I getting so anger over something that could be resolved with a note?" Is there something else that needs to be dealt with? The person will never know that it is bothering Andrea. How guilty is the other person? Does their entire gallery consist of workshop creations? Did they case one of Andrea's Cards? What can be done to make Andrea happy? Total removal of the cards? Will she be happy with just a name mentioned? What do YOU want that person to do ANDREA?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I guess I have to say when I first started posting cards they were from club. I did make them. Not my idea, but I made them. But in reality were they my demo's idea or did she find them from somewhere else? Do we do something totally new and fresh never seen before or do we CASE or get ideas from what we see. I usually put CASED or inspired in my description if I know for certain I did that, but not always and not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or step on toes. I was flattered the first time somebody asked me to if they could CASE my card. Go for it! I think sometimes we get far to carried away on this subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I agree. If you know that if was your card and no mention of it was posted, what path would you take? Most people would probably try to take care of it themselves. Between them and the accused. I guess I'm just perplexed by all the attention given to the issue when it is just common sense to go to the source if something is bothering you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly, I would have to say that I would be tickled pink if somebody posted a card they made at my workshop. I look at it like it's my JOB to get people excited about stamping, and I want people to leave being proud of what they made.

There's just nothing like the feeling you get when you watch somebody amaze themselves, lol..."hey! I MADE that! Me!" That's probably as much as I need to get from that experience. I really don't see the problem if somebody posts the card here. That just means that the workshop was a success...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that she felt she made the card herself, so she could post it in her gallery. I think I have a couple of cards in my gallery that I made at my upline's monthly meeting, but I believe I stated that. I also have a couple that I cased, but couldn't remember from who, and I stated that too.

I don't feel she was "wrong" in posting the card, but perhaps she should have said it was made at a workshop held by her demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I know of a situation where a Stampin' up demonstrator comes to the gallery and uses ideas or cases for her workshop without mentioning that she took them from someone elses ideas, more or less passing them off as her own. No one else knows that she visits this gallery. What should we do with that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the idea of giving credit where credit is due. I also agree that very few ideas are truly original. Hopefully, she will see or hear about this thread and make corrections in her gallery. If not, then...karma says what goes around, comes around. Patience is a virtue. And all the rest of the stuff I say but don't have the patience to do! :rolleyes: You may want to mention in a future workshop some of the "expectations" of putting things in galleries here...like mentioning where the card was made. You could put it in the context of trying to grow your business and get your name out there. I am sure she didn't mean anything malicious by it and is excited to help you grow your business. Good luck and I hope it all worked out in the end!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I use ideas from galleries all the time..a layout here,ribbon placement there, techniques. I make alterations so that it's mine in the end product, but truly the inspiration from these boards influences me greatly..my stamping and techniques have grown and improved. When I do CASE..I do give credit..still figuring out how to link directly:confused: and when I use an idea at one of my camps..I say that I this design/card/layout/color combo etc from splitcoast and that I designed this card around that inspiration.

I see cards from my camps on blogs from my campers..usually just showing cards they made at stamp camp and how much fun they had..I like reading those.

I loved how GINA advised on handling the situation. Very diplomatic and no feelings bruised in the process..

Last edited by Londonblue; 01-14-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Is the idea completely yours or did you get it from somewhere else? If you got it somewhere else, did you tell your stampers you were casing it and from where? Unless it is completely like yours, she doesn't have to give credit.
Reply With Quote Likes