Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going cheap

I have noticed that some things are ok to go cheap on and some things AREN'T. For instance, I bought foam mounting dots at the dollar store and honestly I have found no difference in those from SU or any other higher end stamp supplies. Paper however is a whole other story. Does anyone else know of any cheap ideas that are ok?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I usually buy the refil rolls of scotch double stick tape and put it on a tape dispenser. This type, which I buy in the stationery aisle of my WalMart, is cheaper than the tape labelled scrapbooking tape in the scrapping aisle. I also think it does a better job than those roll-on double-stick tape dispensers made for scrapbookers.

For embellishments I sometimes buy the Sandylion brand ones instead of Jolee's, although I notice that Jolee's is coming out with less pricier versions of their items.

I also try to make my own tags, titles, etc., and decorate my own paper rather than buy a particular paper for a project (usually for scrapping). For card-making, I use the better cardstock for my card base and then use the cheaper cardstock for matting, paper-piecing, die cuts, etc.

Linda K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, as far as patterned paper goes, I've occasionally found cool papers at the Dollar Tree. You can't tell the difference between it and the stuff from my LSS. It's a hit or miss thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with Sin's comments completely. I also agree with Linda's last paragraph.

I do find tape can make a difference from brand to brand. I do like the dispensers that have sticky tabs (various sizes) In my opinion the Tombow brand is terrible........jams on me everytime and I end up wasting most of it. I am not a liquid glue person for my cards. The raised dots things are ok, but I am more particular on how large they are and high. Some are huge and like a mountain.

Paper wise, I am VERY particular. I have learned a lot about paper and quality/weight and want to find the best, even what I put in my computer. I like texture paper and also want to feel my paper before I purchase it. I will only use certain paper for the inserts/message of my cards. Certainly more expensive, but my cards are worth it. That's my message that's going on the paper, I want quality! I also want quality for the cardstock, vellum and mullberry paper I use.

I use my Xyron many times which can be expensive, but I feel it's the best for most jobs.

I'm also particular about the ink, embossing powder, pencils and markers I use. Though I don't purchase the Copic things (to me that's wayyy overboard), I do use the Dewert brand for pencils and the Le Plume for markers. I don't purchase any stickers, I make my own.

I guess I have to say that I don't feel I skimp on my supplies for my crafting. It's all I do and I feel it deserves the best I can find.

Lastly, I try very hard to purchase what I can find in my local craft stores rather than over the internet. I do use some Stampin' Up products. Yes there are some things I can't get local (embossing paste, for instance), and those things I will go internet, but only deal with the same businesses and don't venture from them no matter the $$.

Being I only create cards, invitations, announcements and other things of that nature, I am not concerned with being sure my products are archival safe or what ever the fancy terms are. I don't do scrap booking, so that's not an issue.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

for me...

i will buy white, black and craft CS at hobby lobby.

i only use SU! CS (out side of the above mentioned) and ink. i like that they all match.

when i started stamping i tried to cut corners only to have to re-purchase some items. ie. CS & inks

i don't buy PP at hobby lobby or joann's anymore unless i have a project in mind... it is so hard to match to SU! a lot of times. i have LOTS of the DCWV paper stacks... with nothing to match it.

i like to get some ribbon from the floral dept. as well. the black and white are easy to match. i will get some others but try to stay with the basics. ribbon has to be my favorite embellishment. ribbon is a very reasonable priced addition to your creations and in my opinion you can't go wrong with it. i LOVE ribbon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I got a package of pop dots (squares, actually) at a dollar store a long time ago and found they were thinner than the usual--which I really like! I hope I can find them again...
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Ooohh! Good thread. There are several things that I find really worth the money.
1. ATG Adhesive gun and refill. I live in the Florida and the humidity there is terrible. Regular glues and even runner adhesives just don't cut it and stuff falls apart. I find that even though the ATG gun may be somewhat pricey, the refills are very inexpensive and are a fabulous quality. I use no wet glue or runners at all now. People may think it is a little large to use but it is as easy as pie.

2. I have fallen in love with Distress reinkers to watercolor with. I have used SU reinkers since I started doing lots of watercolor. They are great to work with but I am extremely impressed with how easy the distress reinkers flow.

3. I have not found any cardstock that even comes close to the quality of SU....but then again I haven't tried too many other brands. I know that when I first started stamping I used to buy stuff at Michael's and JoAnn's....and ugh!!!!! There is one exeption to my love of SU paper. See number 4.

4. I purchaed a pack of Papertrey white cardstock and I think it is so gorgeous. It is as heavy as the colored SU cardstock and so much nicer than Whisper White. The price is very inexpensive as well.

5. I use sponges a lot for my work and have found that I cannot buy sponges from any other place that are the same soft and full quality of Stampin' Up!'s. I know it sounds strange but it makes a real difference in how a sponge lays down color if it is to rough, hard or full of large holes.

6. I have also fallen in love with the Adirondack Dye inks and reinkers. Now it may sound strange to have two full sets of inks, SU and Adirondacks but I do have a specific reason. I am very impressed with Adirondack inks and find myself reaching for them instead of my SU's most of the time. One thing to remember if you ever want to compare. The Adirondack reinkers are more expensive than SU but the bottle is twice as large. Just an FYI on that.

7. Nestabilities: When all the scalloped punches came out we all had to jump out there and get them. Now Nestabilities are all the rage. I now have both and am getting ready to sell my punches on Ebay. The price of one Uchida punch is the same as a complete set of Nestabilites with from 5 to 7 die cuts instead of one. Also, another advantage with the Nestabilities is that you are not limited to where your cut goes like you are with the punches.

I think there are lots of other stuff I could write about but have probably bored you enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #8  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

OH Kittie you could never bore me! I sometimes make my own DP using a stamp set and a few select colros of ink, this way I can customize colors and really match. I agree with kittie about cardstock, I almost bought some at M's on sale for half price till I saw an opened package and felt the weight, it was VERY flimsy... I have both the papertrey white which i seem to be hoarding and the Georgia pacific white which I use every day, no comparison there... The papertrey is better by far but the GP is good enough for every day. KWIM?

I would be interested in knowing about ivory cardstock, any good stuff on the cheap?
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I'd be interested in finding ivory cardstock on the cheap too!

I bought some rhinestones and half pearls with a coupon the other day because I didn't want to spend a ton of money ordering the two colors of rhinestone brads and the whole pretties kit from SU! My rhinestones aren't brads, so they stick directly to the paper and don't have a bezel around them, and I actually like that look better. My half pearls didn't come in white and cream - they only came in one color, but it would really work for either. I also got some copper jumbo brads made by the CAD people and I think they're probably the exact same ones SU! sells, but they were a bit cheaper with my coupon. I sometimes like to find cheap embellishments like this, but I would never go cheap on colored cardstock or ink. This ends up locking me in to spend more money on other items because I want them to coordinate with SU!'s colors, but it's worth it to me. Their stuff is usually of such a higher quality, and a lot of times, not even that much more expensive when you consider how much they give you! I really haven't been able to beat their prices on ribbon, and I'd rather have it match exactly. I agree with Momis Mama - I've looked at those DCWV stacks so many times, but I always put them back because they don't match the SU! colors very well and I know I wouldn't end up using them. I carry a keyring with squares punched out of all the SU! colors now so I don't end up buying something that won't match - it's prevented me from buying a lot of stuff that would just sit in my drawer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Here is what I have been using for my ivory colored cardstock for about the last 8 years.

Wausau, Royal Silk Natural, smooth finish 80#. The last time I bought from a local store it was $15.99 for 250 sheets. I probably bought it when they had an extra percentage off also so was less than that. I have been very happy with it. I think it matches the SU vanilla well. I originally picked it for this but it has been so long since I have used SU basic white and vanilla, I can't remember.

I love Dollar Tree's foam dots. I always go through their craft area when I get there. A few months ago I found rolls of the stitched ribbon like the kind SU sells. Limited colors but love the stuff. I also check Tuesday Mornings craft area when I am there. Not much luck but once in a while....

I have been using Bazil papers lately. I have found them at an incredible buy from a web site. They are less expensive than SU by a lot and I love the texture. I have grown a bit weary of SU colors after so many years so Bazil has been an exciting change. I still have all the SU's and still use them but am having so much fun with the BB papers. I made many stationary sets for Christmas gifts this year and never tired of all the new colors of paper that I had. The recipiants also loved the textured papers. They were a hit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Keep writing!!!! I love your tips! All of the tips on the thread are worth reading....so let's keep this string active ladies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
Ooohh! Good thread. There are several things that I find really worth the money.
1. ATG Adhesive gun and refill. I live in the Florida and the humidity there is terrible. Regular glues and even runner adhesives just don't cut it and stuff falls apart. I find that even though the ATG gun may be somewhat pricey, the refills are very inexpensive and are a fabulous quality. I use no wet glue or runners at all now. People may think it is a little large to use but it is as easy as pie.

2. I have fallen in love with Distress reinkers to watercolor with. I have used SU reinkers since I started doing lots of watercolor. They are great to work with but I am extremely impressed with how easy the distress reinkers flow.

3. I have not found any cardstock that even comes close to the quality of SU....but then again I haven't tried too many other brands. I know that when I first started stamping I used to buy stuff at Michael's and JoAnn's....and ugh!!!!! There is one exeption to my love of SU paper. See number 4.

4. I purchaed a pack of Papertrey white cardstock and I think it is so gorgeous. It is as heavy as the colored SU cardstock and so much nicer than Whisper White. The price is very inexpensive as well.

5. I use sponges a lot for my work and have found that I cannot buy sponges from any other place that are the same soft and full quality of Stampin' Up!'s. I know it sounds strange but it makes a real difference in how a sponge lays down color if it is to rough, hard or full of large holes.

6. I have also fallen in love with the Adirondack Dye inks and reinkers. Now it may sound strange to have two full sets of inks, SU and Adirondacks but I do have a specific reason. I am very impressed with Adirondack inks and find myself reaching for them instead of my SU's most of the time. One thing to remember if you ever want to compare. The Adirondack reinkers are more expensive than SU but the bottle is twice as large. Just an FYI on that.

7. Nestabilities: When all the scalloped punches came out we all had to jump out there and get them. Now Nestabilities are all the rage. I now have both and am getting ready to sell my punches on Ebay. The price of one Uchida punch is the same as a complete set of Nestabilites with from 5 to 7 die cuts instead of one. Also, another advantage with the Nestabilities is that you are not limited to where your cut goes like you are with the punches.

I think there are lots of other stuff I could write about but have probably bored you enough.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm new to stamping....but for scrapbooking, I always made my own sentiments. I set up (in Excel) a sort of template so I could tell a.) how big the sentiment was and b.) because I only printed one sentiment/saying at a time, I had already made several cuts into the cardstock so I wanted to make sure that I didn't put the new sentiment where I had previously cut....kinda like a grid and then I blacked out the grid where I'd used it before.

I'm a graphic designer, so I've got like....over 9,000 fonts and wingdings and shapes, etc on my computer so it is easy for me to make me up my own sentiment in the size that I want and I don't have to buy (and store) 2394872893472 gazillion sentiment/saying stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

worth the money-
May Arts ribbon from my LSS vs. cheapie nylon/poly stuff from the big box craft store. It ties up so much better.
Thick cardstock and pp
quality paper cutter

on the cheap-
foam tape for dimensionals
"pearls" made with fabric paint blobs
cheapie brads
silk flowers- take right off the bunch. white can be dyed to match using reinkers or copic markers.
painters edging pad (hardware store) in place of a stampin' scrub cleaner pad.

Last edited by mnhyrkas; 01-13-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: added to list
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I have had some luck at Target in the dollar bins. Seasonal stuff--brads, 12 X 12 printed paper, ribbon, etc. Quality and availability varies, but it's worth the trip. You just never know what you are going to run into there; if you are doing quick projects for kids or a mass-produced something for people who you know will just give your work a cursory glance, those items may be workable--and they sure are cheap.
For color and quality for projects you really care about, though, I'm doing SU all the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm pretty much an SU snob, I'm actually getting ready to get rid of all my punches that are not SU (they'll actually go to my kids, so if I ever have regrets, I'll know where to go) Most anything I've bought that is not SU doesn't get used. I no longer like the ribbon or paper I've bought at stores. Sometimes when I'm scrapbooking I'll use store bought patterned paper if it matches what's going on the page better than what I could make with SU.

The non-SU items that I use are pretty basic, such as glue, dimensionals, scissors (I just can't bring myself to spend a lot on scissors) My embossing items are also non SU like the heating tool and powders. Oh, one more thing I just thought of -- I also use the GP white cardstock instead of SU's whisper white. For some reason I just like being able to get an entire ream of it :rolleyes: . Yes, when it comes to paper, I have hoarding issues.

And of course, there are some items that both SU and Michael's sells, so naturally I use my coupon at Mike's. These would be my stamp-a-ma-jig, Versamark, and I believe I bought my crafters tool kit there as well. Oh, and my scrapbooks themselves. SU's are just too expensive for my taste.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the bulk black/white cardstock and packs of cards with envelopes from Michael's. With the 40% of coupons, they're a great deal!
I've found super cute chipboard embellishments at the dollar store.
The $1.00 rolls of Joann's Craft Essentials ribbon match a lot of things nicely and seem to last me a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kittie, thanks for the info on the Adirondack inks...the price was something that was holding me back! Now I think I'll give 'em a go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I find a lot of fun things at Dollarama (in Canada) - brads, metal embellishments, ribbons and fibres. This way I can try all kinds of different looks on my cards. Definitely sold on Stampin Up cardstock, but do still use other patterned paper, as I have found I can match it well to the SU cardstock, and it is usually lighter (and less expensive) than the designer paper at Stampin Up. Also love the inks and markers, and the punches from SU. Gave all my other stuff to my kids too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jana ZView Post
I find a lot of fun things at Dollarama (in Canada) - brads, metal embellishments, ribbons and fibres. This way I can try all kinds of different looks on my cards. Definitely sold on Stampin Up cardstock, but do still use other patterned paper, as I have found I can match it well to the SU cardstock, and it is usually lighter (and less expensive) than the designer paper at Stampin Up. Also love the inks and markers, and the punches from SU. Gave all my other stuff to my kids too.

I get a lot of my stuff there too! I buy the rolls of double sided tape (in the craft section), have found pkgs of 6 rolls of matching ribbons, and lately I have been buying their ink pads. I rip out the pad and replace it with a new one. I then buy SU in-colour refills and fill up my new pads. This way I have an ink pad and refill for $4.50, instead of over $10.00. ( I have only started doing this with in-colours. I do get the regular colours of SU ink pads if I know I will use them a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jana ZView Post
Dollarama ROCKS! I use so much of that stuff! LOVE it! Can't be 50 crystal brads for a buck either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tend to use alot of white cardstock. I always use SU cardstock EXCEPT for white. I buy the Georgia Pacific White Cardstock from Walmat. It is 5.97 for 150 sheets of it. It is 110 lb weight so it is nice and stiff. It is by the office/cpier paper supplies.
I also buy my envelopes from there.

I got so tired of Mono adhesive always falling apart. I now use Scrapbookers Glue tube from Walmart. It does NOT warp the cardstock and it sticks! Nothing will fall apart after using it!Ever. It has a fine tip for gluing little areas and a wide tip. definitly worth the 3.00 it costs. And it goes along ways. I have had it for a month now and I use it almost daily and it is only half gone.

Ribblons I but at Michaels. 1.99 a roll is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Speaking of Dollarama - I've just picked up a ton of embellishments for Valentine's Day - 50 red heart brads/$1, pink and red assorted size glass hearts, red cloth hearts, and more I can't think of right now. I bought one of the plastic towers (3 inches in circumference, and five containers high) to put them all in. Now I want more towers to fill with other colours of embellishments - pretty to look at, great to use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do NOT buy super cheap clear stamps. If an entire sheet is $3.95, it probably is junk.

Don't buy anything just because it is on sale. That is the biggest money waster of all!

Versamark is better than any other similar clear ink pad I've found and worth the money.

Find a high quality waterproof black ink pad and get the reinkers. My Memories pad has lasted for more than 5 years and I've reinked it once!

No substitute (yet) for the Crop a Dile if you want to set eyelets.

That tearing edge thing in the SU catty -- use a bread knife or just your hands.

I have found no substitute for my Japanese screw punch. You can punch a hold of various sizes anywhere on the page. It lasts forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln1294View Post
I have noticed that some things are ok to go cheap on and some things AREN'T. For instance, I bought foam mounting dots at the dollar store and honestly I have found no difference in those from SU or any other higher end stamp supplies. Paper however is a whole other story. Does anyone else know of any cheap ideas that are ok?
I love the double sided tape my local dollar store sells..none better.
For bigger projects I use the Scotch double sided big roll from Staples.
Paper is mostly from a company I deal with in the US...Club Scrap...and a little from Michaels. Lately I have tried some of the SU paper as well so I may become a follower there. My Albums are all Creative memories and I have never found a better buckle bound album anywhere. I scrap for 7 grandchildren and myself so I shop for the best buys whenever I can. I never miss a Michael's coupon but I limit myself to only one thing with the coupon....there will be more coupons and M's will be there for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Great thread. I use Oriental Trading company for a lot of things but mostly for my scrapbooking. They have good brads that I use on my cards a lot. Their clear stamps are fun because they have all sorts of coordinating things like stickers, paper, chipboard etc so that you can make the cutest cards using matching paper with the clear stamps. All of their stamp sets are only $14.00 and I get very good stamped images using them. They have some cute little boy stamps that are very unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Do NOT buy super cheap clear stamps. If an entire sheet is $3.95, it probably is junk.

Don't buy anything just because it is on sale. That is the biggest money waster of all!

Versamark is better than any other similar clear ink pad I've found and worth the money.

Find a high quality waterproof black ink pad and get the reinkers. My Memories pad has lasted for more than 5 years and I've reinked it once!

No substitute (yet) for the Crop a Dile if you want to set eyelets.

That tearing edge thing in the SU catty -- use a bread knife or just your hands.

I have found no substitute for my Japanese screw punch. You can punch a hold of various sizes anywhere on the page. It lasts forever!

Joan..the Giants WON!!!! OMG, I am SO excited. I was so upset earlier today though because the Colts lost. Hopefully we can have one Manning boy represent though. Anyhow, I did want to ask you about the Japanese screw punch thingy. I scap a lot and would love to be able to punch in the middle of a 12x12 paper. Can you give me some details on the item you mentioned so I can look into buying one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I love creative memories for my albums. My paper comes from lots of places: Creative memories, AC Moore, Joanns, QVC are just a few places. I love Target and the Dollar tree for great finds on little embellishments. If I get paper and it seems cheap I try and use it for layering on a card, or a background for a pic in scrapbooking.
Missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I should also mention that for embellishments sometimes I use "found" items...cute things that have been attached to something else...I love to re-purpose it. I think it must be part of the pack rat in me. Like, I have this awesome plastic sheet that came on the package of our mandolin slicer...it has a fresh tomato, a green pepper and a yellow pepper. I'm SO going to find something to use these with. LOL! And for little charms, if I'm out thrifting (another bad habit of mine) I'll look at the jewelry--sometimes they'll have something, but I'm a bit picky when it comes to those.

AND last year, I was in a dollar store and I found some wine charms for Christmas that were on clearance for 62cents. Each of the 8 had a cute charm that would be perfect for card making. I picked up 12 sets. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Kittie, thanks for the info on the Adirondack inks...the price was something that was holding me back! Now I think I'll give 'em a go!
You won't regret it. Both the Adirondack and the Ranger Distress are excellent inks. I use them both pretty much daily now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I found that hmstamps.com has the cheapest prices available on House Mouse, Penny Black, Stampabilities and more stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I also do SO many of the things you ladies have mentioned! I'll share a couple of my 'tricks'...
1. Georgia Pacific white CS from Wal-Mart and Papertrey heavy white CS are both GREAT---I use the Papertrey CS for card-bases, or for trimmed multi-layer flowers, etc. for 'stability' to the outer edges of each petal, etc. I keep a ton of both on hand at all times.
2. SU's large eyelets----love the look, didn't like the price. I found IDENTICAL eyelets in Wal-Mart's sewing section---and I got 30 of them for $1.29! They look just fine to me!
3. Michael's ribbon---love the stuff, have tons of it---and you can't beat the price when it's 50% off. If you figure out the cost per yard at 50% off, it's hard to spend the high dollar amounts for 8 yards of 'designer' ribbon. I will, however, splurge on more expensive ribbon if I'm making a card for a very special occasion---family wedding, etc. I can justify the extra expense then--and I know the card isn't going in the trash.
4. SU's sponge daubers---worth the money, IMHO. I tried some cheaper ones (they had a wood base) and they shredded and fell apart immediately. My SU sponges last forever.
5. DP--on sale at Hobby Lobby---4-8 sheets for $1.00 is a great buy! I still only buy what I really like, but feel less guilty about having so many layers on my cards when the DP is a great price.

**I WISH I had a Dollar store near me that carried the great packs of brads, ribbon, chipboard shapes and other supplies that you all have talked about!! 50 rhinestone brads for $1.00---I'm sold!! (Anyone want to go shopping for me if I reimburse you??) :-)

GREAT thread!! I love reading the tips and tricks that everyone uses---and of course, in the end....sharing these things means we might be able to buy more stamps!!

Have a great night everybody!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Man, I'm gonna have to go to Wal*Mart and try out this GP paper! I just hate having to drive there and ALL THOSE PEOPLE in there...ugh. But I do need some things from SuperWal*Mart that I can't get anywhere else so maybe I'll run over there tomorrow and do my grocery shopping and accidentally end up in the office supply and craft areas. heh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

You know, I have no problem being thrifty, but .....gas prices are so high and I don't want to lug children (or me) to the craft stores and wander about when I can look in a catty, pick all items that coordinate and then a cute guy in brown shorts will deliver it to my door!! All this, plus the quality, is worth the extra, um, $1.00 or so difference. Stampin' Up! for this girl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A couple more suggestions...instead of a sanding block you can usually find "buffer blocks" (for your nails) in the $1 store. Also, you can either buy your regular sponges from SU (or CTMH or wherever) and cut them into quarters...or you can buy a huge sponge from a home improvement store and cut it up into chunks.

Things that have been worth the money (that I about kicked myself for waiting for long for) good scissors and a scrubbing pad. Oh...and last year for Christmas I bought myself 2 packages (total of 4) of these embellishment boxes from Oriental Trading (they have little tic tac type boxes inside). I also bought a few of their varieties of mini brads. I am STILL using those brads and have enough colors to match just about everything!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln1294View Post
One other thing I cheap out on is chipboard...I buy the letters at the dollar store and cover it with paper to coordinate with my project...the sanding block around the edges does a fine job of smoothing those out and it looks great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Subscribing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Dollar rama is awesome. I bought these cute little wooden boxes of felt flowers for a dollar each. They are soooo nice I don't even want to open the packages. ;)

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

OOPs...the attachment thing didn't work:
Attached Thumbnails
Going cheap-feltflwrsdlrama.jpg  

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Wow, I'm jealous of this Dollarama place! Those felt flowers are rocking my world! Do we have anything like that in the US? None of the dollar stores I know carry scrapbooking stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes