Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamper jeolousy

Do you have it??? Today as I was looking at all my favorite blogs I came to the realization that I might be just a tad bit jealous of all their talent. Will it rub off on me the more I look at them and make comments? I sure hope so!! Don't get me wrong, I know that I can create but I am definitely not at the Design Team level and that is okay. I just thought it was funny today when I felt the little green bug show up.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Yup, I know what ya mean. lol. I think that is why I spend so much time looking at everyone else's marvelous work. I want some of that talent to rub off on me.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yup, and I continue to visit for inspiration too! So many talented stampers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd have to say no to the jealousy part, I am amazed at the richness of talent here and in the short time I have been a part of this community, I can't believe how much I have learned. The challenges are wonderful to help you think outside the box and stretch you...it's about discovering your unique style! IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I know what you mean, Robyn. No matter how long I stamp, I will never be Debbie Olson. So what I try to do is use them as inspiration to break out of my usual style. I do think that has improved my stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not jealous, but I have come to the realization that my favorite stampers have more talent in their little pinky than I will ever have!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I understand what you're saying (though I regularly read your blog so I'm a tiny bit surprised you were briefly bit by that bug) and I used to feel that way sometimes but realized that I am developing as a card maker as time goes by and my supply stash grows and I hope that some day I will be someone who's card might show up in an issue of PaperCrafts...I do realize I'm not there yet but that's what I'm striving for. I am amazed by some of the talent out there and even get a bit star-struck when one of the ladies I so greatly admire leaves me a comment on my blog or here on SCS. I hope I always feel a little star-struck - it will keep me humble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

The lil green monster in me comes out more when I see how much they do and the challenge chasers that upload every single day; I wish I could create everyday! Alas, if I stayed off here long enough, I could do just that!!!! I probably have about 20 cards right now waiting to be uploaded! The talent part.....well, that's another story! No sense in me being jealous there; some people are just natural artists! But I sure have learned a lot from my favorite bloggers and everyone here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Robyn - you're a great stamper yourself. I know I've seen your name mentioned on the Sunday "Faves" list. I just browsed through you gallery and on the very first page I found one with 35 comments. That's a real satement for a great card AND a great stamper.

Just keep on stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey Robyn :mrgreen:
You have plenty of talent!
Plus you were a super sucessful SU! Demo.
Give yourself some credit.
Don't you think that made ALOT of other demo's VERY GREEN ;) of you?

I think the KEY is not to measure yourself AGAINST other people, and just attempt to improve your own work and style. Focus on bettering your own best, and not what X has/is doing.

I think we all get envious at times for different things, and reasons. Most wont admit to it, but hey, we are all human.

Mainly maybe when people have attained something we hope to reach for. That is when we get most envious.

I try to not do that. It just gets me in a funk. Instead I focus on my own goals, and creative process.

I think your thread is a great eye opener to those who are afraid to say that it happens to most of us at one time or another
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Not sure if it's jealousy, but dang........there's some crazy stuff out there and I have no idea how these people can look at a stack of paper, some ink and some stamps and do their magic.

I am definately inspired to try new things and work on my own creativity thanks to them though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #12  
MnM
Crimping Master

Nope not here.
It's hard to be jealous when you're the best :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you kidding.??? Jealous and not ashamed to admit it!!!

I remember a non stamping story that has stayed with me for years that helps keep my jealousy to a normal level!

When my son was in preschool, I was the only Mom in his class with a job outside the home (it was a co op preschool). I worked part time. Man, was I jealous of those Moms!!!

Then I got to talking with them. Turns out they were jealous of ME because I had a part time job that let me keep my outside career yet be home most of the time with my son.

So, yeah I am jealous of others' talent, but then I remember that I have some pretty good stuff going on in my life that doesn't get posted in a gallery!!! (Husband, son, etc!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not jealous just very excited to try to duplicate some of the techniques. I'm new to this site and I'm so blown away by all the talent here. There so much of it that I'm on most of the day, even when I'm at work, not wanting to miss anything.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytimeView Post
Hey Robyn :mrgreen:
You have plenty of talent!
Plus you were a super sucessful SU! Demo.
Give yourself some credit.
Don't you think that made ALOT of other demo's VERY GREEN ;) of you?

I think the KEY is not to measure yourself AGAINST other people, and just attempt to improve your own work and style. Focus on bettering your own best, and not what X has/is doing.

I think we all get envious at times for different things, and reasons. Most wont admit to it, but hey, we are all human.

Mainly maybe when people have attained something we hope to reach for. That is when we get most envious.

I try to not do that. It just gets me in a funk. Instead I focus on my own goals, and creative process.

I think your thread is a great eye opener to those who are afraid to say that it happens to most of us at one time or another
Isn't that the truth. I did the same thing a couple weeks ago...I've had a really hard time with the fact that I can't have an original, creative idea for a cool technique, a box, or just something! It put me in a BIGGG funk and made everything I stamped even worse. Once I let it go and stamped just for me, it was awesome! And my work was way better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I am so glad someone brought this subject up! I don't know that I am so much jealous as I am envious of everyone's self confidence, and their willingness to put their work out there for all to see. I am learning to make some nice cards and I truly, truly believe that there is at least one card inside of me that will deserve the phrase "that rocks!!!" but it hasn't happened yet. I too am amazed by people's ability to take a few pieces of paper, use a gel pen, add a thingamajig and voila - magic! Sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytimeView Post

Definitely agree! When I look at some of the designers out there, I sometimes envy their work and wish I could do that, but I try to remind myself how far I have come. I haven't even been stamping a year yet and I learn something new almost every time I stamp. Sure, I'd love to be on a design team for a stamp company I love and be published in a magazine. Maybe some day. For now, I just love the process, learning and creating.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I get jealous of other great bloggers. I wish I could spend more time on my blog and come up with the great creations, but I never make time. Maybe I should.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by whim6915View Post
I am so glad someone brought this subject up! I don't know that I am so much jealous as I am envious of everyone's self confidence, and their willingness to put their work out there for all to see. I am learning to make some nice cards and I truly, truly believe that there is at least one card inside of me that will deserve the phrase "that rocks!!!" but it hasn't happened yet. I too am amazed by people's ability to take a few pieces of paper, use a gel pen, add a thingamajig and voila - magic! Sigh...
the highlighted sentence says my feelings on it! Robyn, you are a great stamper so don't sell yourself short!!

I love looking at all the talented blogs because they show me the things I can learn to do better and have because of them. I am in awe of the talent that is freely shared here. I'd imagine if you look at the very first card each of us has uploaded and compared it to the latest, you'd probably see immense changes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for all the replies!! I just love you all here on SCS. I guess I'm not jealous of the individual people but I got a little green today looking at all the great cards that were my style that I just didn't think of. I kind of kicked myself and say "duh, why didn't I think of that!" I am so grateful for the little talent I was blessed with and the other great blessings in my life. Yes, I did well with SU as a business but you don't have to have talent in the arts to do that. Just business sense, but, hey, maybe someone was green about that. We can't all be everything, right!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

hey robin, thanks for posting about this! i am with shannan. even though i have come a loooong way in my stamping (check out my early posts in my gallery), i still get bogged down when i see something fun and feel like i never create *outside the box*. then i just have to let it go and know that what i am doing right now is my very best and that's ok--just keep learning and creating every day (or as much as possible) and i find that things just start *coming* to me and every once in a while, i will get a stroke of stamping brilliance (only about 2 seconds worth), but it still makes you feel better! don't compare yourself to others, we are all on a journey and at different places in it!! btw, your work is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

YOu are a great stamper. It seems like many people on here try to out-do the next person. Be happy with what you have-keeping up with the Jones' is always hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Ohhh...I know! I wish I was so talented...but I'm not. My sister is a true artist and I am always in awe of how she'll look at something and just move a "bit"here and a "bit" there, add a color, change a color, and it looks so beautiful! I have come to the realization that although I am not as talented as others, I do have the same love of stamping. I LOVE to make cards...um, to the point I could probably send a card to every citizen of the U.S. and still have some left over. I feel bad when I read that some people won't post their cards because they don't feel they are as good as the others who post...I am sucker for the saying "The joy is not in arriving to the destination, but in the journey" therefore I have taken it upon myself to post my just "ok" cards to help inspire everyone, LOL. Although they are not work of arts, I love to show how the talent folks here have inspired me (top credit goes to my sister who got me hooked on this hobby - justannie) and I do love when I come up with a design all on my own. I think EVERYONE should post their cards-I LOVE all the ideas I get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
Do you have it??? Today as I was looking at all my favorite blogs I came to the realization that I might be just a tad bit jealous of all their talent. Will it rub off on me the more I look at them and make comments? I sure hope so!! Don't get me wrong, I know that I can create but I am definitely not at the Design Team level and that is okay. I just thought it was funny today when I felt the little green bug show up.
Ummmm, yep!
:mrgreen:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathycView Post
The lil green monster in me comes out more when I see how much they do and the challenge chasers that upload every single day; I wish I could create everyday!
This is like you were reading my mind! Even when I know I have some free time (like a day off of work), everyday errands keep pushing it off to the side. I also get jealous when I read that some great card only took 1/2 an hour. I really like my own cards and feel that I have talent, but even the cards I consider the worst take me at least 3 hours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Yes. Absolutely. Not jealous like hateful jealous, but jealous like, "Dang! Just exactly how good can one stamper be?!" It depends on my mood. Am I feeling confidant or less than that day? I'm not always reasonable about things, truth be told...It's kind of the same way I feel about girls with fabulous curly hair*sigh*why can't I have Botticelli curls?
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I do find my self getting very envious of the talent some of these ladies have. I even got rid of all my stamps one time, now I'm building the stash back up. I think some people have the God given talent, and I am so glad they use it here so I can look at it and try to copy it. The family likes thier cards and other homemade things and I guess when it comes down to it that's all that really count's. I feel really good that my MIL takes here cards around in her purse and shows them at her ladies luncheon's, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh I absolutely have it. It drives my passion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiscrapperView Post
Not jealous just very excited to try to duplicate some of the techniques. I'm new to this site and I'm so blown away by all the talent here. There so much of it that I'm on most of the day, even when I'm at work, not wanting to miss anything.;)
I totally agree with this! I feel like SCS has opened me up to a whole new world of techniques, sketches, color combos, etc. Sometimes I do get jealous of all the awesome supplies and tools people here have! My collection is pretty small, just like my budget!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #30  
Sassy Shani

Nope, not jealous. Just cuz I try to not have that emotion. ;)
Robyn....your work kicks butt. I am sorry you are in a funk and I KNOW you will overcome it. I love your gallery and your blog. Keep up the great work girlfriend. After all....you are the bomb-diggity with your Cricut knowledge. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm totally jealous. But not only because of their talent but because of all their stuff they have. Sucks to be a "poor" new stamping addict. :mrgreen: I see something and I'm all, "OMG if I had that, my cards would totally be more awesome." Which probably isn't true...I'd still not be all that good...LOL! But I'd like to try them all and see. hehe! So, I'm buying a few things at a time and trying to get something here and there. :rolleyes: I am still jealous of their talent....if only I had the talent and the $$$. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I recognize that I am a small guppy in a sea of overachievers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #33  
Sassy Shani

PLEASE do not feel you HAVE to have it cuz the "cool" kids have it. TRUST ME! We all start out somewhere. I have been down your road and I am currently in the process of selling a ton of goodies that I just "had to have".
Keep up the great work with buying a little at a time. HUGS to you and welcome to this crazy crafting world we live in. :mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
I'm totally jealous. But not only because of their talent but because of all their stuff they have. Sucks to be a "poor" new stamping addict. :mrgreen: I see something and I'm all, "OMG if I had that, my cards would totally be more awesome." Which probably isn't true...I'd still not be all that good...LOL! But I'd like to try them all and see. hehe! So, I'm buying a few things at a time and trying to get something here and there. :rolleyes: I am still jealous of their talent....if only I had the talent and the $$$. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
Nope, not jealous. Just cuz I try to not have that emotion. ;)
Robyn....your work kicks butt. I am sorry you are in a funk and I KNOW you will overcome it. I love your gallery and your blog. Keep up the great work girlfriend. After all....you are the bomb-diggity with your Cricut knowledge. :mrgreen:
I guess you're right......... I am all that and a bag of chips with the Cricut. I have to admit that one is correct. ;) Thanks for the super nice words. You kick bum bum, too!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Location: Out in the deep marsh in the middle of nowhere - well ok, Canada

I am very envious of the Design Team and their amazing designing styles. I am definitely believing that if I look and comment on enough of them that their design abilities will become part of me. I look now at each card that I designing and try to incorporate what it is I like in the cards I so admire!

Gerri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Not jealous of their talent... have too much fun learning from them!

Now the ones that have husbands that build them $50,000 stamping rooms and encourage them to build their stash..... THAT I'm jealous of! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Yep....I am! I am, I am, I am...Not in a green, terrible, sickening obsessive jealously type of thing....but...I am! I am in awe of the amazing people on this site that are so productive....can pump out wonderful cards, one after another after another after another, all in that amazing *dirty* level of perfectness!!! I also am jealous of those who don't work and I am always thinking, well if I didn't work full time, I could do this and that.

All my luck...if I didn't work, my cards would take me 8 hours to make one card instead of the 2 hours it takes me now...LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to say I think my stamping has improved from hanging out here, and hopefully by scouring the blogs and looking at all of the talent it will improve some more. I think you all rock!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Robyn--

It takes a lot of courage to admit being jealous in the first place, so way to go on that! And as you can see, you're not alone.

I'm not sure I exactly get jealous, but sometimes kind of down on myself because I know I'll never be even close to as good as the folks here at SCS. I haven't been stamping very long, and when I do get a few precious moments to "play," I always end up with a creative block--I look at the stuff I have and think, "what the heck am I going to do with this?" I've never uploaded anything I've made, because it looks so amateur compared to all the great things I've seen in the galleries.

Having said all of that--I also get inspired by the folks here. Everyone is so talented, and there are so many things I want to try. I'm even considering trying some of the challenges, just for my own gratification.

I think the important thing to remember is, no matter what level we're at--a rank amateur like me or a seasoned pro like yourself, there are always new things to learn and folks who are better that we can aspire to. Like someone else in this thread reminded us, it's the journey and not the destination. Besides, if we were all the same, this would be a pretty boring place, wouldn't it?

Keep up the good work and keep your chin up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies we have to remember that many of those that post to the galleries are professionals getting paid for their work and not doing it for just the shear enjoyment of the craft. Some may also be doing it for the enjoyment, but they are also getting paid for it. Some may disagree, but I feel it makes a difference.

The level of our creativity makes no difference and sometimes the materials used can make the difference in the look. Not everyone has the means or the wants to have all the "latest and greatest" materials and products.

Most of us are doing the craft for the enjoyment and expressing our creativity. Yes with time we do increase our skill level, but we still get a lot out of it.

I would like to second Kimbo's last paragraph!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes