Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with glimmermist

Hi! I bought a bottle of Glimmermist the other day. When I used it, I got bloches on my paper. I shook the bottle before spraying...because the pearlex type sediment had settled. Was that a mistake? I loved the glimmery mist all over my card...but didn't like the clumps or blotches that I got also. I tried holding it at different angles, and was able to decrease the clumps (or puddles...is that a better description?)...but still got a couple of them on my card.

I love the look of this stuff. Has anyone tried just mixing pearlex with something to get the same results? Are you having results like me...or are you able to get a nice even mist?

thanks,
kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by klhbensonView Post
Hi! I bought a bottle of Glimmermist the other day. When I used it, I got bloches on my paper. I shook the bottle before spraying...because the pearlex type sediment had settled. Was that a mistake? I loved the glimmery mist all over my card...but didn't like the clumps or blotches that I got also. I tried holding it at different angles, and was able to decrease the clumps (or puddles...is that a better description?)...but still got a couple of them on my card.

I love the look of this stuff. Has anyone tried just mixing pearlex with something to get the same results? Are you having results like me...or are you able to get a nice even mist?

thanks,
kathy
Hi Kathy, I had the same problem with mine, I tried what one girl said to do....hold the bottle up and spray and run your paper thruogh the mist instead of spraying directly on the paper. It was a little better but I'm kind of disapointed in mine. Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's another thread from today.....not much support for the glimmer mist.....

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For any larger "blobs" that you don't want, you can dab these with a tissue while it's still wet and eliminate them.

HTH

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I bought some too at christmas time a couple of the new colors and i wasn't happy with it either. It blobbed or else it warped my paper. I didn't get the results i was hoping for. It went in my do not use pile LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Glimmer Mist alot. The best technique I get is this as I also hate the blothes I get when just spraying.
Shake the bottle good. Make sure there is no glimmer still sitting on the bottom of the bottle. Then I spray a fine layer. Then I brayer it. The brayer always smooths it out and gives it a nice even coat. The I repeat the spray, brayer until I get the coverage I want.
If my paper warps or curls I just use my heat gun to dry it and then it comes back nice and flat.
I also do this on an old tray I have as it gets messy.

I also found if you buy a small FINE MIST spray bottle and shake your Glimmer Mist very well and pour some into it, you will not get the splotches either.

Another thing I do is I use hairspray mixed with Perfect Pearls. This is the white spray I use. I have it in an old TAC cleaner spray bottle and it mists perfectly every time. Actually better than the Glimmer Mist. Yes you can use Pearl Ex for the same results. I just had Perfect Pearls on hand when I made it.

Michaels has a package of 3 little sprayers that I use for the fine mist. THey are small but they work alot better than the sprayer on the Glimmer Mist bottle.

Last edited by meluvstampin; 01-09-2008 at 03:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 03:46 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
I use Glimmer Mist alot. The best technique I get is this as I also hate the blothes I get when just spraying.
Shake the bottle good. Make sure there is no glimmer still sitting on the bottom of the bottle. Then I spray a fine layer. Then I brayer it. The brayer always smooths it out and gives it a nice even coat. The I repeat the spray, brayer until I get the coverage I want.
If my paper warps or curls I just use my heat gun to dry it and then it comes back nice and flat.
I also do this on an old tray I have as it gets messy.

I also found if you buy a small FINE MIST spray bottle and shake your Glimmer Mist very well and pour some into it, you will not get the splotches either.

Another thing I do is I use hairspray mixed with Perfect Pearls. This is the white spray I use. I have it in an old TAC cleaner spray bottle and it mists perfectly every time. Actually better than the Glimmer Mist. Yes you can use Pearl Ex for the same results. I just had Perfect Pearls on hand when I made it.

Michaels has a package of 3 little sprayers that I use for the fine mist. THey are small but they work alot better than the sprayer on the Glimmer Mist bottle.

I forgot to add - If anyone has any other questions, Please PM me and I will try to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too had the same problem....now I wish I hadn't bought.
Ruined my card even though I did as directions said. Couldn't see much difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, it was a waste of $$ IMO . . . it blobs not matter what. I've tried all the suggestions and I still don't like it so I'm glad I only bought the 1 bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

The key to ensuring it's even and not blotchy is distance... you need to be at LEAST 12 inches away from your project... I also highly recommend using it as a base/background... so you can play with it and not as a finishing touch to your project. I prefer perfect pearls and water in a mini mister for the finish... I have actually found that by using these two products together you can get an amazing result... remember the farther the better...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I made my own "glimmer mist" using Jody's directions found here. I purchased the 2 oz travel spray bottles from Wal-Mart and have not had any blotching issues. Perhaps it's the pump that comes with the bottles. I noticed that if I give the pump a firm squeeze rather than smaller, lighter squeezes, I get better distribution. Also, I found that if I start out with a light coat of glimmer and then wait for it to dry, I get less warping. I guess warping is inevitable since we're wetting the paper, but I try to minimize it as much as possible.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Also, I try to hold the paper about 12" away from the bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

One tip I got from a woman who is a designer with Tattered Angels, is to never shake the bottle up and down as the mica/glitter will get stuck in the "straw" portion of the spritzer.... instead, shake it only side to side.
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meluvstampin - can you post your Perfect Pearls/Pearl Ex + Hairspray recipe?

Feel free to be very specific - I have never purchased hairspray and would not have clue what kind to use, or what ratio of spray to powder.

THANKS!

PROBLEMS WITH GLIMMER MIST SPRAYER - Tattered Angels has a video on this, you can see it on their website or on YouTube, click here to watch.

Last edited by lynnephelps; 11-09-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Added video reference
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you use Pearl Ex - You will have to use hairspray - I just put a teaspoon of Pearl Ex in a used but cleaned out Stamping Cleaner spray bottle from SU or TAC. There others that you can buy for this but I like to recycle.
I just buy the pump spray cheap hairspray as you can unscrew the pump and pour it into a differetn bottle.

If you use Perfect Pearls - you actually mix this with water as it does have a binder already in it.

I add more of the Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls then until I get the shimmer/color I want.
Make sure you shake the bottle good each time you use it.

Also - Perfect Pearls can be bought at Michaels with a coupon. I actaully prefer this stuff as you can mix it with plain ol water and avoid the hairspray smell on your card.

You can also brush this stuff onto a stamped image using Versamark for an awesome effect or background and it will stick due to the binder already in it.
Pearl Ex does not have this binder so you cannot use it like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I was hoping to discover the correct usage for this! I may use it on some ornaments now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS!! I have some Pearl Ex I never use, so finding a solution for the powder without the binder is great.

You know, if Perfect Pearls has a binder in it that works when mixed with water, I wonder if it is Gum Arabic??

This is the binder in water color paint that holds the water color pigments to the paper, and you can buy it in a bottle in the fine arts section of Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It is not cheap, but you would only need to use a little. Plus I already have some, LOL!

Hmmmm. It might be worth doing an experiment! Especially to avoid the hairspray smell!
;-)

I also appreciate the tip about the SU Mist bottle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My first use of glimmermist I was not impressed. I love the mists from Making Memories and StampZia and use them quite often. But, I have to come back and say that I'm warming up to glimmermists.

Way back in the day I did pearlex hair spray and was happy with them but I do like the ease of having the variety of colors offered by glimmer mists. I found it was better to mix small batches to use as needed instead of mixing all my colors at one time.

What I love are the glimmer screens and the wide variety of colors. The screens are awesome if you like the look (which I do). I made my stamp group's gift for this year using the glimmerscreens, glimmermist, and memories mist. Take a look here there are other pics of the seasonal scenes).

Overall if you are looking for a light even misting of color, it's hard to do with any product like the mists, but if you venture out to using stencils, they are wonderful. I spend time just making background papers here is a sample.

BTW - you don't have to use stencils StampZia style shows what you can do with household items.

Now the only problem is I want a lot more colors of glimmer mist!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I spent some time on the Tattered Angel web site today. They have a printable color chart of all of their colors. I have some colors that are not listed on the chart. Somewhere on the site I saw that they had changed some of the names after they improved their product. Does anyone have a list of the old/new name conversions?

Also, the videos (mentioned above) on their web site may be helpful. I thought they had some pretty good advice on how to make their product work better. It sure is beautiful when it works properly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

By using the Recycled stamp cleaner spray bottles and the perfect pearls - I always get a nice fine mist.
When i do use Glimmer Mist I pour mine into a mini mister so that the spray is finer also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I bought some Glimmer Mist at Archiver's, which is about 2-1/2 hours away, and one of the bottles clogged on the first spray. I cleaned it out according to their instructions and it did it again. I was careful with the shaking and it didn't help, so I emailed the company and they sent me some new sprayers. So far no clogs, but I've only tried it once or twice. I still get the blobs, though, and not much helps with them. Odd things is, not all of the colors do that. I did read on their site somewhere that you have to be careful that the tip of your finger doesn't hang over the edge even a tiny bit when you're spraying or it will cause blobs. Mine wasn't and it did it anyway.

I put some in a mini mister and ended up having to toss it out it was so clogged. It's probably not something I will use alot and I should have just bought one bottle. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I contacted Tattered Angels and got this my response to why some of the colors I had purchased were not listed on their color chart. Hope this is helpful to you.

At this time, our color chart only encompasses our standard year round colors. We do hope to expand this chart in the near future so we can have all of our colors represented. The two colors you mentioned are from our Spring line and Summer color collections that are here for a few months, then retire. Sometimes, these limited edition colors are brought back-if we bring them back on a permanent level, we tend to keep the same name. Otherwise, we may bring back that color tone, but change it up a little bit, so its not exactly that same color, but is comparative. At this time, neither Hydrangea, or Riptide have a comparative color.
Reply With Quote Likes