Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who purge your stamps...

I now have over 100 SU sets and still love them everyone. I even have a couple of sets I have not used yet, but I have NO desire to get rid of them. I mean, I still have ideas floating around in my head and some day I'll have more time to stamp!!

There has been alot of talk about selling your unused stamp sets and that got me to thinking. For those who get rid of stamps, how many to you keep? How do you decide what to get rid of?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I only get rid of the sets I don't use or are no longer my "style".

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I've purged and there have been stamps that I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. I wont make that mistake again.

Jill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

I usually purge my stamps every 6-12 months if I haven't touched it in that long I'm not going to with the exception of alphas, sentiments and BG stamps. I find if I tire of set I never pick it up again.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I mostly get rid of images that are no longer "me." My style has changed quite a bit since I started stamping, and there are plenty that I may have used five years ago but have been uninked since. I guess basically I just have a better sense of what I truly will use now
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I only get rid of what I really know i wont ever want again. I am right there, when you say i will use it someday. I think when i actually do get the time to sit there for hours, I will use it all alot. Just go through the stash, sometimes there is a new updated stamp set, that can replace one. It would be a good one to go. Have fun, its always nice having an excuse to get new stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

as a demo I get rid of all stamp sets I have that are retired as soon as I can. I can't use them for my business so I'd rather only have current stuff on hand. That way any projects I create can do double duty as "marketing" as well as a card/gift.

With the last two retiring lists, I have reduced my number of sets greatly and I feel so much better about that. I found I was buying stuff and hardly using it and would rather have a small group of stamp sets that I love and use all the time than a bunch of sets that rarely see ink. This way I will also be sick of them by the time they retire and ready for something new to play with
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybooView Post
I now have over 100 SU sets and still love them everyone. I even have a couple of sets I have not used yet, but I have NO desire to get rid of them. I mean, I still have ideas floating around in my head and some day I'll have more time to stamp!!

There has been alot of talk about selling your unused stamp sets and that got me to thinking. For those who get rid of stamps, how many to you keep? How do you decide what to get rid of?
I could never get rid of any of my stamps...I'm like you, I have sets that I haven't even cut out yet(that retired a while ago)....I have so many sets that haven't been used I can't even count them....but, they'll get used one day...I tell my LSS it looks like I'm a rubber stamp collector!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I make myself purge and keep only what I have used recently or if I have specific project in mind. Otherwise I would own every set on the face of the earth!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I get to a point where I look at a set and just think "ick"..no more ideas of what to do with it, or I've used it so much I'm tired of it, or I like the set but just can't make pretty cards with it.

I am in the process of working through all of my retired sets, marking them as I use them, to make sure I truly like them all...if not, they're outta here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purge but do so in a carefully controlled and cautious fashion, LOL! I put stamps I think I no longer want in storage bins, label them with the date, and then put them in the farthest corner of my basement. If 6 months later, I've not retrieved any, I go through them again one last time and then get rid of them. This way, I know FOR SURE that I'm ready to move on.

Most that I purge are impulse buys that just don't work for me. I've made almost no impulse buys in the last 12 months--my resolution for 2007, which was hugely successful. So I predict the number of stamps I feel comfortable purging will start to drop significantly in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Purge? Are we supposed to purge?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #13  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanduckView Post
I make myself purge and keep only what I have used recently or if I have specific project in mind. Otherwise I would own every set on the face of the earth!!
Yep, I just own every set on earth!:mrgreen: ...150 at last count...

Hey, I may need them in scrapbooking, making a special card that works with someone's personality or situation, or they can just serve as packing around the coffin when I die! They are mine, all mine and I love having them... and I don't have to get rid of them if I don't want to... na, na;)!

Seriously, I recently decided to see if I could possibly purge so I went through each and every one, and I did purge!!!... one set. Oh well. Guess I'll need a bigger shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I purge what is no longer my style but often keep things just because I'm lazy. For example I have a box of over 60 sets in my craft room now that I indend to sell but I cringe at the thought of mailing them out so there they sit. And wouldn't you know it I go to that box and pull a set out about once a week. Oh well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post

Seriously, I recently decided to see if I could possibly purge so I went through each and every one, and I did purge!!!... one set. Oh well. Guess I'll need a bigger shelf.
That is so me. I think I purged about two sets. Aaaah.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stamping disorder

I do plenty of binging.

I figure I should purge.

No really I sell stuff in a sale that's like a garage sale my LSS does once or twice a year. I get rid of papers (because I keep buying those danged 500 sheet slabs and never using them), and stamps. I try to keep my stamps to what will fit in the cabinet I have for them. I don't want to get new storage or anything. I figure I can fit a bunch in there, it should be enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I need to purge. I have stamp sets that are unmounted and the company is no longer even around. I have tons of Club Scrap stamps that I never use, impulse buys. That will probably be one thing I do sometime soon, only I don't want to use ebay as the fees are outrageous, no LSS near by to do a garage sale. Maybe Etsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I've only been "seriously" collecting for about a year. I'm a hoarder by nature (not that I've been diagnosed, but it's what I say), so I really make a constant effort to "purge."

For me, if a stamp set doesn't work out the way I hoped, I stick it on eBay. For individual stamps, I stick them in a box and let them pile up till I have a dozen and then sell them - if I purged something I needed, I can always dig it out of the pile before I get rid of them. (Haven't had to do that, though.)

When I get new sets, I take a look at old sets and my individual stamps and see if they replace things - how many snowflakes and Christmas and animal sets does a person really need? I usually find a few to part with.

If I have a set I'm "iffy" about - I like it okay, but I'm not in love with it - I check what it's selling for on eBay. I've sometimes found that they're selling for more than the retail price (usually retired sets)! Wahoo ... sometimes parting is sweet!

Of course ... I just reinvest all the money in more stamps (but nicer quality and current designs).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Gee, I've discovered that if you take your stamps off the wood blocks and put them on cling, they take up FAR LESS space!!

Last edited by paws2ink; 01-07-2008 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: hit wrong key, hadn't finished my post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have only been stamping for one year. I have all unmounted or clear sets, so space isn't an issue. But I do have a ton of stamps, and have considered purging. I mean, how could one person possibly use them all?

I have also wound up with a lot of paper. It's all CTMH, SU, or American Crafts, and nice, but holy cow. And I make things all the time. I have made 6 layouts in the last week and about 8 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Honey, I don't get rid of any. That's why I have over 145 SU sets. LOL I was a demonstrator back in the 90's (for 5 years) and I still have some of those. Don't feel guilty.............just have fun.

Carol
in IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmilhamView Post
Oh Honey, I don't get rid of any. That's why I have over 145 SU sets. LOL I was a demonstrator back in the 90's (for 5 years) and I still have some of those. Don't feel guilty.............just have fun.

Carol
in IN
Ah..but I've only been stamping for a couple of years!! Although unfortunately for my finances, I don't feel guilty. I just want to know that I am not the only one with 100 stamp sets!! And no intention of getting rid of them anytime soon.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Ah..but I've only been stamping for a couple of years!! Although unfortunately for my finances, I don't feel guilty. I just want to know that I am not the only one with 100 stamp sets!! And no intention of getting rid of them anytime soon.!
My name is Tami (hi Tami) and I am a hoarder. I have over 200 stamp sets and have only been a demo for two years and two months. The sad part is...I didn't own one stamp set before I signed up to be a demo. It's a disease and I know I'm terminal but darn it I am refusing treatment! You are going to have to pry Like it a Latte out of my cold dead hands! :-D

...packing for my coffin...I loved that...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamiCView Post
My name is Tami (hi Tami) and I am a hoarder. I have over 200 stamp sets and have only been a demo for two years and two months. The sad part is...I didn't own one stamp set before I signed up to be a demo. It's a disease and I know I'm terminal but darn it I am refusing treatment! You are going to have to pry Like it a Latte out of my cold dead hands! :-D

...packing for my coffin...I loved that...
OMG...this is too funny I'm also a hoarder and I'm not even a demo! At last count I have 322 su stamp sets and 92 wheels...and no I haven't used them all There are some that I just won't part with- some of the more rare hard to find sets (I'm a bit of a collector too). I do not purge my stamp set; however as my children get older I will part with some baby sets, and once my wedding album is finished I will part with my wedding stamps...etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know there are ladies here who have lots more sets than I do so I dont feel too bad (400+) and I bet at least 50% of them are unused. Too many stamps and not enough time. I have thought about purging but I just never seem to do it. I am seriously running out of space though and need to get this done. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I used to have over 300 sets, and then I sold well over half. Even now today, I see a card with a set that I used to own, and I want to cry-WHYYYYY did I sell that. So the answer for me is, no dont purge. I wont ever sell a stamp set again!!lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
OMG...this is too funny I'm also a hoarder and I'm not even a demo! At last count I have 322 su stamp sets and 92 wheels...and no I haven't used them all There are some that I just won't part with- some of the more rare hard to find sets (I'm a bit of a collector too). I do not purge my stamp set; however as my children get older I will part with some baby sets, and once my wedding album is finished I will part with my wedding stamps...etc.
Oh you don't want to get rid of baby sets either! You'll need them for the future grandchildren. I can pretty much justify every stamp set I own. I, too, am addicted and don't want to recover. I can't part with any of my beloved stamps. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #28  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Whew!! I was starting to feel :oops: when I saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
Yep, I just own every set on earth!:mrgreen: ...150 at last count...
I have over 400 sets. Haven't been able to purge yet. I've thought about it..... I've slowed down what I buy (a lot).

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Purge what's that i keep them all LOL I just started to go UM to save some space. I have 400+ SU sets too not including all the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

My hubby made flat pull out drawers for my stamps. They filled up fast. He suggested I take them out of the boxes to make more room. I had almost 300 SU plastic boxes piled up! I have only parted with a few stamps, the old foam ones and a few non SU. Those drawers are packed and I could use more. I'm so glad I'm not the only hoarder. There are worse addictions...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryheartsView Post
Oh you don't want to get rid of baby sets either! You'll need them for the future grandchildren. I can pretty much justify every stamp set I own. I, too, am addicted and don't want to recover. I can't part with any of my beloved stamps. :-D
oh...my I never thought of that. LOL Yeah some day I may have grandchildren....okay now I have to keep the baby sets Oh, but wait what about when my daughter gets married? LOL I think I'll keep my wedding sets too! Now I'm never going to sell any I'd better not let my dh read this post! he..he..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

I get rid of all the stamps that arent "me" or I havent used in 6 months or so with a few exceptions of some of my fav sets (Roses In Winter). Some I get rid of in a month when I realize I bought it for some idea I had that realistically I am never going to accomplish, KWIM?

I also just got rid of over 100 pieces of DSP that I have been "collecting" and I have about 5 years worth still to use and I have only been at this hobby for 2 years next month!

My thought is that there will always be new and better stamps created to buy so why hold on to the past?

Besides I love to shop so it makes more room for the new stuff;)

The BST forum is a great place to sell and trade stuff that yu have. Ihave used it several times and been 100% happy!!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

oh...my I never thought of that. LOL Yeah some day I may have grandchildren....okay now I have to keep the baby sets Oh, but wait what about when my daughter gets married? LOL I think I'll keep my wedding sets too! Now I'm never going to sell any I'd better not let my dh read this post! he..he..
Thatta girl, Patty! ;) After I hit the send button, I realized I forgot to mention the wedding sets. You definitely need those too! I have 5 children, 3 of them are married, 2 still in high school. I no sooner started getting rid of toys, books, etc that we were no longer using, and bam! I got 2 son-in-laws, and a daughter-in-law and I'm now up to 4 grandchildren. Now I'm collecting things again for when the grandchildren are here visiting. I learned my lesson - hang on to it all! lol Especially the stamps!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

So far (my 2nd anniversary of the first time I stamped was January 4) I have every stamp I ever purchased and I can't imagine ever getting rid of any of them. I guess it helps that I buy what I love and I'm not all that fickle in the matters of the heart, so what I loved 2 years ago I still love today.

Now, as a demo, I typically only use current stamps in my day-to-day stamping, so some of my sets are safely stored away for special stamping occasions like when I'm making items for craft fairs or customer order projects.

But even though they're out of sight, they're not out of mind. Before I mount my sets I make two copies of the index sheet. One copy goes into the clam shell box so I always know which stamps belong in that box and the other copy gets filed in a binder so I can always look through the binder to remind myslef what I own and find the perfect stamp for the project I'm working on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

When I was still a demo I would pretty much always get rid of the stamp sets that had been retired because if I wasn't demonstrating with them, I wasn't using them. Although I admit that there are a few that I wish I had hung on to, especially now that I am no longer demonstrating. Now for the most part I get rid of the sets that I'm just not using, but that's probably going to have to change too. Since I got my Cuttlebug I've been stamping a lot less!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I was finally able to get rid of some of mine and it felt so good. I have some drawers that I keep them in and it is full so I will have to get rid of a couple more because I have vowed that I will not have more stamps than can fit in those drawers. Plus I hoard my ribbon and paper and I have made a new year's goal to use that up before I buy any more. Okay I might not use it all up but I will use some of it before I buy any more.
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

I went throug the whole lot and pareddown 100 + to about 60...by getting really mean about it and talking to myself... " Seriously, the only time you really used this set it looked like ^%$#, let someone else hve a shot" yes, I am rude when I talk to myself, but it worked, not only did I make room, the $ I made selling my stuff paid for my demo kit and then some.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrellView Post
I was finally able to get rid of some of mine and it felt so good.
<GASP!> Blasphame! lol jk I actually admire anyone who can have the resolve to purge! But, alas, I love everyone of my sets and even though my taste has changed just a smidgen since I first started stamping, I still find uses for the earlier sets. I also keep a notebook that has all my stamps cataloged so I can flip through to find what I want to use and also to coordinate. Plus, I too, have hurried to get rid of other things in the past only to find out I really shouldn't have. I have, however, been refraining from purchasing too much - well, until yesterday. I just broke down and bought some sets from some ladies in the BST forum. What can I say - I'm weak! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to keep all my stamp sets because I loved them all! Then I became a demo and my outlook completely changed. Since then, I have done major purges twice. Once in 2005 when I first became a demo and my second was just a few days ago! I keep the ones that I just love, or that are sentimental (my very first stamp set, ones I made baby announcements with, etc.). At my last purge, I kept a bunch thinking I would be using them in scrapbooks, but I have since gone digital, so with this round, I got rid of a bunch that I was saving. I found that once the set was gone, I haven't missed them! If you are thinking about purging, here some incentive: I am currently selling some sets and in the past three days I've made close to $300. I still have a bunch of sets left to sell.
Reply With Quote Likes