Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purging favorite file-WOW!

I've been purging my favorite file since I have 24 pages with 48 cards on each page. Just a little too much for me. Although I know many of you probably have much more!

One thing I have noticed in the oldest cards from 2005 and older is the almost lack of designer paper and the overwhelming use of background stamps. And wow! I have some fabulous samples I saved and am so glad I did. I looked at one by Toy, all in backgrounds with a fabulous sketch and it is so pretty.....a really "old school stampy card" that so many of us used to do before DP came on the scene in a big way.

How do your fave cards look from 2005 or older? Are you still liking the look of more old school style of stamping?? Or are you glad it has mostly been left behind (although not totally).

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, Denise, I've been purging for 2 nights now too! I had 20 page of 96 each to wade through. I'm down to 15 pages and hope to purge to about 4 or 5. I came in to stamping just at the end of 2005 and have noticed what you have. but I still love the BG stamped images and the "empty" space look!!! I know the industry has to continuously bring more goodies to buy, but I miss the 'ol fashioned "make the stamp speak" look. KWIM?

Don't get me wrong - DP is gorgeous as well as copics, punches, bling etc!!! Maybe we need more challenges that bring back some of the old styles. WDYT?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

All I know is that I was looking at my *first* few cards posted and they are U-G-L-Y. :O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL! My first cards are hideous as well! I was trying so hard then! I must have been completely to naive to ever upload them. They were made with cheap Michaels cardstock that was really flimsy. I have to keep them in there to see how far I have come (well....I think I have come far....hmmm....this could be presumptious on my part!).:rolleyes:

I do still really like the background cards with no DP. It seems to really make you work harder. That said, I love DP and the way it jazzes up a card too. But I do think it is an easier way to make a beautiful card when you use beautiful paper.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

ladies i would love to purge and organize the file at the same time. is there a way to sort/label by group? scs member/stamp/technique?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

ok i'm in big BIG trouble as i have over 500 pgs.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I love the new designer papers. That being said, I still like to demonstrate to my customers how they can make their own -custom- paper by stamping their own.

After I show how to roll an entire page with a wheel or stamp an entire page with stamps, I say that no one will have a sheet of paper like this!

I do incorporate designer papers in my cards and scrapbook pages; but I like to show unique designs, too.

Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Gayla, 500 pages! Oh boy. You are in trouble. Start now. You might get done in 2 years if you do some every night! I don't know how to sort. I know there are albums, but I think these are for your own pictures. I am not sure there is a way to sort them.

I am just taking out what I no longer need to have in there for inspiration. And what I no longer really like, since my tastes have changed in the last 3 years.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
ok i'm in big BIG trouble as i have over 500 pgs.!

Ouch, I feel your pain. I don't know of a way to purge the MY FAVORITES thread except one card at a time. I also read someplace here that there is no option in the MY FAVORITES for categorizing. You might want to ask a monitor to make certain though.

Anyone know for sure about this question?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Has anyone used the download feature for your faves? I'm tempted to do that, print them out as a hard copy, and start fresh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I guess I'm "old school." :mrgreen:
I still love my background stamps and still struggle to use DP on my cards.
Good idea to purge the favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

This must be a New Year's thing! I've been doing the same thing, too. I can tell you that when I started stamping in 2000, patterned paper was used almost exclusively. I bought a ton of it. Of course there wasn't as much variety as there is today, but there was still quite a bit. I found it difficult to switch over to strictly cardstock, when that became the "new" thing. I believe cards must be like clothes...everything cycles and becomes new again. We seem to be back to way things were in 2000..cute images (Elzybells, Magnolia, Penny Black, GinaK) with background papers. I'm loving it!
I'm a Senior Angel. Click here to find out about this wonderful program. RIP, Leota!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been procrastinating... I have 152 pages of 48 cards per page. I used to purge regularly, but now I feel guilty since we have a favorites count on all of our cards. Someone might notice. :( Am I being silly?

Anyway, I totally know what you mean about the older cards. The style of stamping has definitely changed. I love DP, but I still prefer to use stamps for my BG. That being said, I hardly ever use my big BG stamps anymore. I prefer smaller BG stamps or just using any stamps to create my own BG. I tend to save my DP for scrapbooking and use the scraps on cards. I also love the open space on older cards... and I still make many of my cards that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did it! I purged a few from 2004 & 2005. OMG! The kissing technique... forgot about that one! And now I want to pull out some old stamps and play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

I love the look of a blank piece of paper that comes alive with ink and stamps - but that's a lot of work (wink) -

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I learned something else... I won't be hurting feelings of many of the people's cards I've purged from my faves... many of them haven't uploaded or even been on SCS for 1-2 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankieView Post

I'm with you Frankie. I have a hard time incorporating DP into my cards without it becoming the focal point of the card. I love using stamps for my backgrounds.

have fun reliving the oldies ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Jen, know what you mean by wanting to break out some old sets! I am having such a blast going through these older cards! I saved some beauties; and it is interesting to see which stamper I thought was the greatest during a particular time interval.....I keep coming across practically a whole page devoted to a single stamper! Then, on another page or two later, I seem to find another stamper and saved a lot of her stuff. I know I will have at least 3 pages of Cyndi Haffner's cards! Everything she made, I stuck in my file.

Too bad it is such a slow process to purge.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I'm so glad the 2005 style is out. But then again, when it was 2005, we probably hated 2002. Even looking back at the old, old years in the fan club surprises me. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I just had a thought as I was purging my file again tonight. Why do I bother with the dirty dozen and other really well known stampers? Their names are permanently etched in my brain and all I have to do is simply go to their gallery, click and drool over every card they make! Because I usually love 99% of what they create.

What I should be faving is those cards I find in the gallery that knock my socks off and the card maker is maybe someone whose gallery I don't frequent very much or don't know at all. By putting her card in the fave file, it would remind me to keep an eye out for this new stamper.

Of course, then I am not giving "faves numbers" to the dirty dozen and others. Hmmm. Must think this over.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
I just had a thought as I was purging my file again tonight. Why do I bother with the dirty dozen and other really well known stampers? Their names are permanently etched in my brain and all I have to do is simply go to their gallery, click and drool over every card they make! Because I usually love 99% of what they create.

What I should be faving is those cards I find in the gallery that knock my socks off and the card maker is maybe someone whose gallery I don't frequent very much or don't know at all. By putting her card in the fave file, it would remind me to keep an eye out for this new stamper.

Of course, then I am not giving "faves numbers" to the dirty dozen and others. Hmmm. Must think this over.

That's what I do...I usually only fav the ones whose work is awesome, but the artist is someone who is not as well-known as others. On the other hand, sometimes I don't remember who made some of the cards I really liked if I don't fav them! Oh what a web we weave...!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankieView Post
Well, I can't claim to be 'old school' as I've been stamping for less than a year but I just can't make DP look right! So my stamped cards might use a background stamp or they might go for the 'white space' look but I've never really thought of that as old school, new school or anything else - I just do what I do!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DP is too pretty for me to use. I feel like I am contaminating it if I use it, ESPECIALLY if something will be layered on top of it. Agh!!!!

I don't favourite my favourite stampers. Instead, I have a direct link to their galleries saved in my browser. I left comments telling them I did that. At least, I hope I got all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

As for organizing faves...you can't do it if you want to keep the favorites here on SCS. You CAN if you download to your computer. That is what I've done (I have enough space to store literally millions of images...gasp!).

I use iPhoto on my Mac. I have albums by stamp set, and I can put a picture in more than one album. Then I can add keywords to each picture and do searches by keyword (like sympathy, christmas, masculine, etc). I can also set up each album or the whole library of pictures to run on a slideshow. Besides albums by stamp set, I have albums for particular projects and techniques.

As you can see, downloading to your computer can give you all you want for sorting all those faves. I am not sure what kind of photo software to use on a PC to do what my iPhoto does. Maybe someone else has done this on a PC and can provide some input.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

This sounds like a good idea. I think that I will start going through mine also tonight. I cann't wait to see what I use to love compared to now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I did it! My favorites are all cleaned out.
I eliminated about 100 older cards -- mostly for sets I never ended up getting.

I realized that in 2007 I only added about 50 cards total . . . I guess I didn't spend much time in the gallery last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished cleaning mine out this evening, it took hours and hours and hours. I have about 200 cards left in there. I will think long and hard before I add anything to my favorites again. I'm saving pics to folders on my computer now. I can find what I'm looking for in seconds now.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Default Purge

I have a MAC and would love to know how to download my favorites to my IPhoto, but I'm not sure how. I tried to drag one pic. to my desktop and drop it into IPhoto, but it was blurry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

To download pics to iPhoto:
* Have your favorites gallery open on the desktop
* Open iPhoto
* Go to the full size image of the item to download into your iPhoto. Don't use the thumbnails. They are itsy bitsy versions of the file and will not be clear when you download.
* Control-right click (on your mouse) or Control-click (on the laptop) with the cursor on the picture. You will get a window with 5 choices. Number three is to "add photo to iPhoto library". Choose that and it will download to the library.
* Now you can drag and drop to any album you create that is appropriate for your image and give your photo any keywords you like.
Piece of cake!!!

ETA Just remember that you cannot do anything with those images other than use them for your own purposes. They belong to other people. Don't use in newsletters, fliers, webpages, etc etc etc without getting permission.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been doing this over the last few weeks. It is a rough task.

One of my goals for the upcoming months is to start caseing my own favorite file!
Reply With Quote Likes