Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a question about you and trends...

Okay, on the long drive home today, it occurred to me that there are certain trends I very deliberately choose to ignore. Usually, it's not because I don't like them (often quite the opposite) but rather because they require expensive equipment and/or more "stuff" that I don't have. Sometimes, it's just not my style. Either way, I don't feel at all bad about not joining in the fun on these, no matter how cool they are.

Here are some bandwagons I DIDN'T jump on:

--distressing inks (can you say 280 ink pads already? where would I put them?)
--Copics (I already have about 80 prismas, all the SU markers, Sharpies in 36 colors, chalks, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons, and more for coloring)
--Any sort of die cut/embossing equipment, including the Nestabilities. I know, I know....

It's not that I don't at some level want these things, but I just don't have to have them, KWIM?

So how about you? Do you feel pressured to buy stuff because it's "in" or can you be strong (at least about some things, LOL!)?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #2  
Sassy Shani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for me.....I buy what I want when I want/need it. I ask for peoples opinions but I don't just buy it cuz the cool peeps have it. The one bandwagon I jumped on, never played with it, and turned around and sold it to a dear friend was the bind-it-all. I am a wise shopper and chose my toys carefully. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've ignored the whole Cricut/Cuttlebug/Nestabilities trend. I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it to justify the price.

I've got nowhere to keep all this stuff as I keep all my stamping things in boxes on one shelf in my kitchen pantry (in a small 1 BR apartment). I've ignored the copic trend. And I've also tried very hard to ignore all the very cute stamps that I ooh and ahh over. I figure if I still want them days later, then maybe I'll buy some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Yes, I also happily ignore most of the 'trends' - cuttlebug, sissix etc, copics... the main thing that bothers me with the die cut machines is that you have to keep buying dies to get more use out of it and they are SO expensive. It seems like almost like a scam to me ... the alphabets are around $80+ !!!

I have bought the crop-a-dile...cheaper than the other stuff listed above. It's great .

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am still not jumping on the Copic bandwagon. I am not a great colorer, and I'm not really interested in spending the time to get better. I already have Prisma pencils/SU markers/WC crayons, and I think they'll just hafta do me. At least for now. :-)

I do have a couple sets of Nesties, but I don't think I'll get them all. But I have a Scor Pal, a Bug, a Binditall, and the SU desktop cutter. And I'm glad to have them all--I use them all the time.

I guess I just pick and choose my trends! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Ya know, this is so funny! I was just browsing the gallery here - did a search for "bind it all" to see if I really "need" one. Since TAC has it in their new catty now, I wanted to see what kinds of projects people are making with it. Well, lots of great projects here, but nothing that I would really make and USE or give away. So I decided no, I'm not getting one. Then, I come to check out the forums and this is the very first thread I open!

I did buy the cuttlebug and really like it. Don't use it much but only because it's in a storage bag as I don't have room to keep it out on my desk which is all the space I have.

Copics - no way! (Karen mentioned scam - I think Copics is another one of those! LOL!)
Nestabilities - not! (I have 2 giga scallop punches and coluzzle templates to go with them - that's good enough for me!)
Bellas - no way! (not really my style)

My mind is blank and can't think of anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also exhibit great strength of character...! I haven't jumped on any wagons either. Can't see the need for the trendy tools, although I like that others do with them.

Another trend I can't see myself jumping in (literally) is skinny leg jeans....yech!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, just thought of another that I DID jump on and have never looked back! The Crop-a-Dile! Now THAT was a wise investment!!!!

(skinny leg jeans - NO WAY, NO HOW!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Smile I'm so unfashionable...

I've missed so many trends that I think I must be completely unfashionable!! I bought a sizzix a couple of years ago and hardly ever use it so won't buy a cuttlebug although I do have some of the embossing folders, which I also hardly ever use. :rolleyes:

I will not buy the copics as they are so darn expensive over here in the UK and I cannot justify spending so much on "felt tips" pens - they may be very very good but I would want to make that money back on selling my cards to justify it and I doubt that I could do that.

I did think about buying some of the nestabilities sets until I saw the price - about $50 a set over here - again I can't justify that much on some circle and square dies really. Plus I found a link to a site with a nesting templates set that includes squares, circles, ovals etc and I'm going to print the ones I know I will use onto card, laminate them and use them as templates to draw/cut round. Not as nice as the nestabilities I'm sure but a great deal less expensive!

I have no intention on doing the bind it all - I have no idea what I'll bind!

I did get a crop-a-dile but it took me a good nine months or so to decide on buying it and I only then got it in a sale, but I do use it all the time now.

I'm also very choosy about my stamps. We have a saying over here that if you can think of at least 5 different occasions/people you can use the stamp for it's worth investing in. If you can't, only buy it if you can really afford it. I "TRY" to follow that idea in principle, but sometimes I do have to give in! Stamps are twice the price over here as well, remember!

One bandwagon I do intend on jumping on is the swirly type stamps - like the brocade basics - I love the cards that people make on here with them so am going to make them one purchase I have to get.

I think that's about it, but I've probably missed loads out.

Vannessa xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am relatively new to the world of papercrafting...only 18 months. I even didn't want to have anything to do with it because I knew I would fall hard, ( and did I ever:p ! That said, when I got interested in stamping, a dear woman at my local stamp store told me, you'll reach a point and you will know when you have enough...sounded strange at the time, but I know now what she meant. And I trust her judgement when I ask, "Now will I really get good use from this stamp"?, meaning to me it can be used in multiple ways. I have never regretted any stamp I have bought from her. I stumbled upon SU stamps at my local Goodwill and had no idea what they were, went home, did a EBay search and went back to the Goodwill the next day and bought all the sets that were still there. The first catty from SU I had the opportunity to peruse was the 2006 issue. There were hundreds of $$$$ of sets that caught my eye. But after some time had passed, I ended up not buying anything..not because I didn't like the sets, but because I couldn't afford it. I stay away from alot of the blogs because they are pushing product that only creates feelings in me of "needing" the latest. I just need to use what I have and appreciate what I have. I go in with a neighbor and split packs of SU paper (such wonderful quality). I love the SU stamps I do have. I truly enjoy seeing what everyone in the gallery is doing with what they have and I hope others feel the same about my work. I have resisted jumping on the "tool" bandwagon, support my local stores and use their 'bugs. Just my
.02!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Wow, there's a lot of will power on this thread! I'm lovin' it! I don't want to give the impression I'm anti-trends. I'm just choosy, is all!

BTW, I did jump happily onto the Bind-It-All bandwagon and have NO regrets, but I started papercrafting by making books (long, very geeky story...) and made 37 books this year for Christmas presents. Definitely makes sense for me, but I can so see why many people would pass on it.

Thanks for the answers so far! I just think it's interesting to see how other stampers work through the "I can't have it all, so how do I decide?" question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess I'm not a very trendy person either. Nearly every craft item I get comes out of the SU catty, so if it's not there, I don't have it. I'm also not doing the in colors this year (even though I really like them - I did get an assorted pack of paper) and last year I only did cool carribbean. Everything listed in the posts above I do not have. I love some of the cards I see in the gallery, but trends come and go so quickly that I just don't want to invest a lot of money. I'm not a demo, so I'm only into papercrafting for a hobby, not a business.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I was obsessed with getting the Giga Oval punches when they first came out, but I couldn't justify spending so much on them. Every time they went on sale they would sell out, so I ended up never getting them. And I don't regret it at all.

I do have a Sizzix, but I got it second hand, really cheap. I almost never use it and I think I'm going to sell it.

I tend not to jump on bandwagons because they're not in the budget, but I'm happy with what I have and my demo discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

Another thread, from GinaK, listing the top ten things for this year validated that I can honestly say yes there are many things I let pass me. Two big reasons:
1. I have no money.
2. After 15 years of stamping and almost 10 of scrappin' I know what I will use and will go with other stuff I have. I don't have a die cut machine because I know from experience I won't use diecuts on my projects. I like to experiment with inks, love stamps, and I am sucked in by the occasional gadget but usually I have tried it to know if I will use it or not.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have been stamping for over 3 years, and right now I am into the cute Penny Black stamps, hedgehogs, cats etc. I have a 3yr old daughter, so we are right into the kids birthdays at the moment.

I also brought a cuttlebug, and I love it. It gives me so much more scope for my cards. The only colouring mediums I have are water colour pencils and an aquash pen, and that does me fine.

Stampin Up is relatively new here in NZ, so haven't got any of their stuff, but probably don't need to know ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't gotten on the Copics or the prismacolour/gamsol wagon. I AM attracted to what they can do. I DO have prismacolour pencils from long, long ago (before I even had stamps). But I've tried multiple times to find gamsol from my Michaels - or "odorless mineral spirits". I've even had DH help me try to find it. No luck. I even have the blending stumps (also from way back before I had any stamps - I used them to blend my pencil/charcoal art).

So I am using watercolours to try to create the same effects as the Copics and gamsol.

I don't have any scallop punches or diecuts either. :( This is 'cause I can't afford it, not 'cause I don't want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

As a cardmakier/stamper from about 10 year/maybe more ago I learnt to make a lot of my own stuff, e.g. background papers, embellishments, you just couldn't buy them so I don't tend to jump on the bankwagon of anything that is premade or looks premade with a tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I haven't gotten on the Copics or the prismacolour/gamsol wagon. I AM attracted to what they can do. I DO have prismacolour pencils from long, long ago (before I even had stamps). But I've tried multiple times to find gamsol from my Michaels - or "odorless mineral spirits". I've even had DH help me try to find it. No luck. I even have the blending stumps (also from way back before I had any stamps - I used them to blend my pencil/charcoal art).

So I am using watercolours to try to create the same effects as the Copics and gamsol.

I don't have any scallop punches or diecuts either. :( This is 'cause I can't afford it, not 'cause I don't want them.
I use regular Johnson baby oil to blend my prismacolor pencils. A white chalk eraser works well too.

HTH,

Deloris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
I've ignored the whole Cricut/Cuttlebug/Nestabilities trend. I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it to justify the price.

I've got nowhere to keep all this stuff as I keep all my stamping things in boxes on one shelf in my kitchen pantry (in a small 1 BR apartment).

I've ignored the copic trend.

And I've also tried very hard to ignore all the very cute stamps that I ooh and ahh over. I figure if I still want them days later, then maybe I'll buy some.

Me exactly. Except I have a small 2BR apt (one BR is the hobby/office area). LOL I'd like to try someone else's copics before I decide if I 'need' to get into that or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great question and one that my pocketbook and I are having a long discussion about this week.

It isn't just the tools of the trade that are trendy and pricey, it's that the trend time is so short. Plus there are styles of stamp trends and embellishment trends. You buy narrow ribbon and bam! all of a sudden it looks like a 1980's chevy and you "need" wide ribbon.

This hobby, like fashion and housewares, has planned obsolescence. I'm not criticizing it, just finally realizing that trying to keep up with all the trends is a requirement for papercrafting professionals but not so for the amateur -- although a few trendy stuff keeps the juices going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have absolutely no self control. I have tons of these trendy things-- scallop punches (big and small, circle, squares and ovals) cuttlebug, bellas, elzys, distress inks, sparkling H2Os, stickles, wishblade.

I have so much stuff I am usually too overwhelmed to do anything. Or if I do, I like it so much I don't want to give it away.

I sometimes feel sorry for my husband that I buy so much stuff (even though I have a very good job and support my own habit).

I just can't help myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:43 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I have finally learned not to jump on every bandwagon I see. It took a long time to figure that out! lol I'm very happy with the tools that I have now. I did buy a BIA, but I had been wanting to make my own books for a long time and that has long paid for itself now.

I like to keep a few trendy embellishments around (but they do get used), but as for stamps, inks, tools, I have enough of all of those to keep me happy for a very, very long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
...I love some of the cards I see in the gallery, but trends come and go so quickly that I just don't want to invest a lot of money. I'm not a demo, so I'm only into papercrafting for a hobby, not a business.

Julie, you have an excellent point here. For those of us hobby crafters, trends are less necessary. For professional crafters, it's a whole different situation.

I get a creative rush from studying the trends in magazines, on blogs, and here at SCS, but I'm very, very cautious of jumping in with both feet. Is it my style, will I use it, and if so, how much? Is the cost justified? Is there a less expensive way to do it? After 7 years of papercrafting, I'm much better at answering these questions realistically and not wasting my limited craft budget on stuff I won't use.

But I love drooling over the beautiful work in the gallery that uses stuff or techniques that I never will. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I think I'm able to pass on a lot of things. I've been stamping for nearly ten years now, and have bought WAAAAAY too many impulse items. I actually have a room for my craft stuff, and it doesn't all fit - how crazy is that?!? Anyway, this past year I've seriously looked at my collection and done some major purging. Seeing how much stuff has been sitting around unused has definitely prevented me from jumping on several bandwagons. I do have several scalloped punches, but will not be investing in any of the nesatibilities. I have prismacolor pencils and a few of the markers, but no copics for this girl (I just don't do enough with coloring). I had been wanting a Sizzix for years, and finally broke down and bought a Big Shot in 06 earlier this year (and was able to pick up a ton of dies at deep discounts due to the change in packaging). I must say that I've used it a lot, and don't regret the purchase. I do have waaaay too many inks, stamps, and paper and am working very hard to use what I already have rather than buying more. I'm definitely tempted, though! :rolleyes:
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I buy what I like and by how much use I can get out of it. I have gone through my stamps again and have another pile to try to sell or something.
I don't have a Cricut, Cuttlebug or Copics (not really sure what the Copics are, but I read about them a lot). I do have a Crop-a-Dile and barely use it. Had a Silent Setter and never opened it.

I do have a Sizzix and I do use it with the letters I have and I am always looking for new Fonts and ways to get titles on my pages, but can not figure out how to get them in the middle or use the computer for it.

I do want a Cricut just for the option of titles and stuff for scrapbooking, but I know it will be another thing that I will have to figure out. I tend to want a gadget with all the bells and whistles and only be able or try to use only 2 of those bells and whistles. Just like wanting a Mac and finally getting it, but not using it to it's full potential.

And from the looks of it (no eggs throwing please ) I will be saving some money with this new catty :-(

For the most part I scaled back to working on my scrapbooks again. My kiddos really appreciate it (they hate that I have a ton of stuff and am always making things, but they are always pulling out the scrapbooks and looking at them :mrgreen: ). So I will keep up with that and scale back on making the gifts to the people who really really appreciate them (by now I know who they are). I won't stop making/sending a handmade card, but I won't go overboard with it cause again they aren't appreciated as much, but I refuse to buy cards. and I don't make as many cards now, just for holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I occasionally (or more than occasionally) get sucked into trends. I admit it. I've been looking at the BIA...but I think I might want to have it rather than use it, KWIM? I know I won't buy Copics or Nestabilities or a Cricut. But show me some new Basic Gray and I'm all over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

I don't have Copics and won't- I have no artistic tendancies, and won't be able to use them! they aren't magic! I did, however, jump (about 2 years late) onto the prismacolor pencil wagon- I got a very good deal on a 48 count set on ebay- good enough for me.

As of now I don't have any sort of die cutter, or any punch that cost more than $15. It's just too much money.

My cards still look a lot like the ones I made 2 years ago- but I'm okay with that. I don't use much designer paper- because it really adds to the cost, and I "collect" too much to let me do that. So my cards are not current or trendy. It doesn't seem like anyone makes their own backgrounds anymore.

I am thinking about getting a scor-pal now that TAC carries it and I can use a half price item. I just need to decide if it's worth the money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I'm happy to say that I've managed to resist all of the trends listed by GinaK (except brads, but I don't really think of brads asa trend) and most of the trends she didn't list like Bellas, bind it all, cuddlebug, etc. As a stamper I seem to be going bacwards. When I started I loved making super complicated cards, ad now I really look for something I can make quickly and easily. I don't need a lot of trendy tools for quick and easy cards. Good for my storage and my wallet! I certainly appreciate the gorgeous cards other make using these different tools, but I'm happy to just be an observer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally resist trends for two reasons: 1) They often cost MUCH more money than I'm willing to spend - at least when they first become trendy; 2) I've bought too many new and trendy gadgets in the past just to have it collect dust and be sold at a garage sale years later. One trend I'm avoiding like the plague is the Copics - I cannot justify spending $4-5 for one marker that I probably wouldn't use much anyway. And, of course, one wouldn't be enough . . .

The Giga scallop punches are another avoided trend, tho' I would have loved to have had them! Now I'm so glad I resisted. The Nestabilities are a much better deal, especially with a coupon! I just got my first set and am having SO much fun! And there's no guilt because I only spent the price of one Giga punch to get a whole set of scallops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I've got the Prisma pencils, Cuttlebug and Crop-a-dile plus stamp sets from different companies. I've purchased some older stamp sets from the internet in order to get stamps that I can color. I don't care at all for the trend that SU has gone to in the last catalog or the new. How many ways can you stamp a circle, a swirl or a flower "shape". I prefer the kind of stamps that need colored and shaded and are realistic looking. I know everyone's taste is different but I haven't even joined our demo's club for this coming year because I don't care for any of the stamps they have now and I can't spend all my required money on paper. I'll skip this latest trend in stamps.

Here is my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread! Especially at this time of the year when we're all broke! ; )

I pick and choose the trends that I purchase. I love to scrapbook, so I do own the cricut as well as a Big Shot.

I must say that the Big Shot is the most versatile tool I own. I love that I can cut all types of materials to use on scrapbooks, cards and gifts. I also love cutting out big letters in chipboard.

In my town, there is an adorable gift shop which sells gifts and accessories and they can monogram anything. That store reminded me of the basics which are always in style:

polka dots
wide grosgrain ribbons
monogramming
gift cards, note cards, customized stationery
personalized gifts

I am now trying to keep my supplies limited to those basics. For example, I'm not buying every different patterned ribbon I see in the stores. I'm keeping it limited to solids, stripes and dots.

I'm not buying copics simply because I hate coloring in. I prefer to stamp bold images and move on. : )

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I don't see these things as a trend. I see it more as people wanting to show off what all they have. It certainly does influence others as does seeing the projects people make.

From that list on another thread (also, that's only one person's opinion) I've never heard of some of those things. Copics......why are they so different (other than the very high price) from prisms, chalk and water color pencils purchased at the local craft store?

I purchase the stamps I like and feel I have a use for. I don't see it as them "going out of fashion". A stamp of a cat or dog is just that....a stamp of a dog or cat. How can that go out of style? These stamping businesses retire stamps and come out with all these catalogs just to get people to spend more money. They put the idea in people's heads that they have to get rid of their "old" stamps. If I liked a scene stamp of a log cabin in the woods now, why would I not like it 5 yrs from now?

Yes, I do believe the right tools do make my creativity easier and better, but we are all on different levels of our card making, scrapbooking, etc. That's evidenced from what appears in the gallery on this site. Some people only dabble and make a few cards here and there. Others makes cards for everyone for every occassion. Also we are all on different budgets. Some people also have VERY generous friends and family.

Yes I do have a BIGkick and Cuttlebug, but got the Cuttlebug first then the BIGkick came out and I realized I could do even more with it. So that was my reasoning to purchase it. I use it on a daily basis and not just for cards. You can make very beautiful items with it. I've embellished lamps, furniture and clothing using it just to name a few things. I use my Cuttlebug for smaller items. Either one is a terrific machine IF you have a use for it. I feel it's much nicer and cheaper than buying packages of pre-made stickers. Purchasing dies, embossing folders and brass templates is a matter of personal taste. If you really look most of these companies come out with the same or nearly the same designs, so why do I need to purchase Nestabilities when I have the same shapes in my Cuttlebug or BIGkick dies, etc.?

Also........many of these things are not available in all parts of the US. So that's another ploy for people to get things they don't need or really know nothing about.

Yes, I did purchase early this year, a large $$ amount of Stampin' Up stuff, which I have to say I regret now. The stamps are (in my opinion) very expensive. I like 2-3 of the set, but have to purchase all 8 of them. That's a waste and I still have to cut and mount them. I would rather spend $8-10on a stamp I see in a store. I'm particular about the cut of the stamp. That makes a huge difference in how the stamp will look on my project. When you purchase stamps from a Demonstrator, you have no idea how the stamp actually looks till you pay for it and own it. You can't return it to the Demonstrator at that point. A store you can. Also many of the other tools are made by the same manufacturers you see in the stores. They just changed the color and put their own name on it. With coupons, stores are cheaper for the same item. Ok, yes, some items are not available in stores and only via TV or internet, but be careful of what you're ordering.

Yes I have an entire room of my one bedroom apartment devoted to my office/craft room. But I spend the majority of my day in there when I'm not out with my Service Dog for socialization. Also, I'm not a business. I make cards and other items for myself, my home and other people.......just because I want to and they appreciate it.

Things are only a trend if you make them a trend and that's only your idea.

I like reading this website and have gotten lots of super ideas, but I use those ideas with the craft items I have. I look at the technique used in the project and do my own twist on it. The stamp used by someone else makes no difference to me.

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Patti

Apology in advance. These are just my opinions and are not meant to anger or hurt anyone's feelings. Yes, I do like the nice lady I purchased my Stampin' Up items from......she is my Friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
One trend I'm avoiding like the plague is the Copics - I cannot justify spending $4-5 for one marker that I probably wouldn't use much anyway. And, of course, one wouldn't be enough . . .
You know- one is enough. You NEED the "skin white" copic if you color (white) people. I bought it with a 40% off coupon. So I guess maybe I can't say I didn't jump on the copic bandwagon- since I do have one. I've lost my credibility I guess :(

Although the one nice thing about the copic trend is it makes the previously EXPENSIVE SU markers look nice and affordable ;)

Quote:

I don't see these things as a trend. I see it more as people wanting to show off what all they have.
But isn't that what a trend is? For a limited time it will be cool to show off that you have all the new nestabilities or copics. Then they will become old and "everyone" will have them and a new trend will come in. Just like all the trendy clothes you are able to show off that you have- until "everyone" has them, and you have to find a new trend to be cutting edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I only invest in trends that are part of my style. I love my Cuttlebug. I use it more than anything else. I invested in Nestabilities because a whole set was the cost of two punches. I have gotten plenty of use out of them so far. I decided not to invest in the InColors because I don't like to waste the money on something I won't be able to use year after year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I follow some of the trends mentioned, but not because they're "trendy". Like anyone with any hobby, I'm interested in what's new and can make my projects either easier or more interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I have to admit that I have lots of so-called trendy things, but I'm having a great time USING them, and I think that's the important thing. I craft to make me happy/retain my sanity. I do have several Copics, but I figure that my children are artistic, and will be able to use them for years since they can be re-inked and the tips can be changed. Do I feel bad about my supplies? Nope, but I am trying to slow down, and enjoy what I have instead of purchasing much more. Buy what you love, and leave the rest on the shelves.

Smiles,

Last edited by Stampin' Adventurer; 12-27-2007 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: grammar problem fixed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

i buy what i like and what i want (within my budget)

i don't feel i am setting or following any trends.

of all the items mentioned... i have some and not others.

just my 2�... in my little rubber room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't jump on any of those either.

I use my Creamy Caramel ink pad to distress (and some of the other darker colors of ink pads).

I just can't justify the cost of the Copics, though I LOVE seeing what people do with them.

The die-cutting stuff......I figure it's just going to sit there so I didn't bother. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post

Sophie... with your talent for drawing and sketching, you don't need the latest "tools" to be trendy - you can just start your own! Your artwork is gorgeous!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

humm

I will admit I have jumped on a few of the so-called "trends"

I have a BIA, a cuttlebug, Cropodile and now have a Cricut...BUT I do (will) use them all so for me it was a worthwhile investment...(ummm well the BIA was an investment - the others were gifts)...

I have a whole set of Prismacolors (those looking for Gamsol - check your local art supply place...a true art supply place and not Micheals, Joanns, HL, etc...) - that I have used a few times but can't quite get the hang of them...I just use my SU watercolor pencils or crayons and a blender pen/aquapainter most of the time - I am contemplating selling the set i have...

Twinkling H2O's - yep have a ton of those and use those alot...especially the oyster color...

Copics - only own a spica glitter pen and quite frankly I am not all that impressed with it compared to using the H2O's or the Sakura Glitter pen

I do own a Giga scallop circle and scallop oval and have used them many times...but don't feel the "need" to own the other sizes...

I am thinking of investing in the rectangle nestibilities because I think I would use them alot...
Reply With Quote Likes