Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you happy to do with what you already have???

I was wondering...are you happy to do with what you already own?

I love the "Embrace Life" stamp set. Do I want it? YES! Do I need it? Not so sure. Can we make similar cards using different sets and still get beautiful cards? I have been trying this using my "Delight in Life" and "Garden Silhouettes" stamp sets instead of "Embrace Life". Wouldn't it be great to see some cards that would be normally made using the new sets but use older ones instead?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, obviously the majority of us are NOT satisified with what we have or Su and TAC and PTI and Bellas, etc. would be out of business!! And I am definately in the majority!! Just when I thought I had enough stamps, SU came out with a new catalog! Now I HAVE to have that Embrace Life, not to mention a dozen other stamp sets!!

I do try to use older stamps to *replace* the new ones I don't have, but somehow it just never turns out the same!! And I end up buying the new anyway!! Then another catalog comes out and I'm back where I started!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

right now I am very bored with every stamp set I own (excluding my lovely bellas that I never have enough time to play with and my papertry treats stamps)... I think I am morphing ???? in to a new as yet undetermined style. I predict a major purging of my stamps soon - which will necessitate purchasing new ones.:rolleyes:

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Don't get me wrong, I love to go out an buy stuff just like everyone else. I just feel like all I'm doing is buying stuff that I don't have time to use. This year I hope to start using what I have. I still will buy paper and markers that I run out of or need but I think the stamps will have to wait. I hope to upload some cards that are inspired by new sets but use the older ones. Want to join me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #5  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Yes and no~
I love the stuff I own, and haven't had a chance to use it to death yet~
That being said, I think that there is a feeling of keeping up with the Jones' in the stamping world as well~ Did I get the embrace life set? No, debated on it during the pre-order period and decided I had enough florals for now.

Soon, something else new will come along and be the new fabulous floral set, and embrace life will move in with the garden silhouettes and delight in life's.

Just my .02~

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
I was wondering...are you happy to do with what you already own?

I love the "Embrace Life" stamp set. Do I want it? YES! Do I need it? Not so sure. Can we make similar cards using different sets and still get beautiful cards? I have been trying this using my "Delight in Life" and "Garden Silhouettes" stamp sets instead of "Embrace Life". Wouldn't it be great to see some cards that would be normally made using the new sets but use older ones instead?

I just had both Garden Silhouettes and Delight in Life in my hands not 20 minutes ago and though, "Gee, I don't really need to buy Embrace Life since I've got these two." That's so funny that we both thought of the same sets in the same context!

I'm really cutting back on the buying right now, especially stamps, because I need to use what I've got rather than keep adding for the sake of collecting.

Of course, I'm eagerly awaiting an order from Stampin Memories this week, so it's not like the earth stopped revolving or anything.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

The reason I seriously considered Embrace Life is the size of that big flower - it is bigger than any other flower stamp I own (and I have the two mentioned above also) if Delight in Life was retired last summer. I have been buying off the buy/sell/trade forum for things I know I will get use out of (All Year Cheer III for example) and sets I have "lusted" after for a long time, rather than new ones just because I have more faith that I will actually use the ones I search for and never know about the new ones....garden silhouettes is still in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

My 4-year-old want a birthday party at home. She has 6 little girl friends to invite and I have NO stamps that is just right. My husband just shook his head. He couldn't believe there's not one stamp/set in my pile of stamps that I could use. So now I'm really thinking of Gina K's diabetes new set. It's got a cute little bday cake. Ahh... always buying... and I have a list of other stuff I want to get too :( Glad my finance guy took most of my paycheck before it gets into my bank account, if not, I'd be old and broke when I retire.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I am pretty pleased with what I have already, but I will be ordering two or three stamp sets that I can use my watercolor crayons on - I just don't have enough of those stamps. Otherwise, I'm fine for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I have more stamps/supplies than I could possibly ever use in my lifetime. That being said, do I need Embrace Life, no, do I want it, yes......and it is one of five new SU sets that will be arriving next week. Also ordered, Pretty Peony, Spring Song, Morning Soft & Pretty Petal. Order was large enough I picked From the Garden as my hostess bennie. I buy what I like, not what is trendy or "in"....and all gets used, some more frequently than others. Also, the large flower in Embrace Life, which looks like a Dogwood Blossom to me, will compliment the small Dogwood Blossom in Natural Beauty. I also have other sets that the other three stamps will work with also. So for me, very versatile

Last edited by crazysuziestamper; 01-06-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #11  
8 Cow Woman

Ummm....I *need* new stuff......:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm among the minority I think in that if I don't use something within the first month or so of buying it, I trade it or sell it (if it's retired or not SU). I try to keep more accessories and cardstock than stamps, so I can just keep rotating my inventory. There are a few sets that I just love (Small Sayings, Think Big, Happy Harmony) that I won't get rid of, and because I have those, I don't really need to buy others that are new. If I'm not using it, I'd rather get something I'll use. I've never regretted getting rid of anything. (yet) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I am thrilled with all the stuff I have. I would always "like" more, but more isn't necessary to make me happy. what WOULD make me happier is to have more time to do my stamping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I don't "need" more stuff...but getting new stuff is so much fun and really freshens up my choices I already have lol

I was toiling over the "embrace life" set earlier too and comparing it to the same sets she was lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
Yes and no~
I love the stuff I own, and haven't had a chance to use it to death yet~
That being said, I think that there is a feeling of keeping up with the Jones' in the stamping world as well~ Did I get the embrace life set? No, debated on it during the pre-order period and decided I had enough florals for now.

Soon, something else new will come along and be the new fabulous floral set, and embrace life will move in with the garden silhouettes and delight in life's.

Just my .02~
I definitely think that when I come and here and see something someone has, I think...I WANT THAT! I find myself reading about Target and then having to go there to get whatever the item is....willismama is right, it is keeping up with everyone else that causes the "have to have it." I think it is hard to be happy with what you have and that is why I am trying to practice that this year. It is hard, but we have to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I try not to buy anything unless I have an immediate plan to use it. I try to be selective in what I buy, as I have lots of stamp sets, but am looking for brads, paper, etc... I usually buy my consumables pretty easy, but I have to really know I will use a stamp set before I buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I am very satisfied with what I have..I find as time goes by, I buy less and less for stamp sets. I say my taste is becoming more and more refined, AKA more picky the older I get...I have 114 stamp sets..most of which I rarely use...a few sets caught my eye in the new catalog, but nothing major. I have come to know better if I will really use something enough to buy it or not...I am focusing on tools and cardstock more now...I also have trouble parting with stamps after I get them...what if I get rid of them and then I need them?? SO that is a huge factor in the size of my collection...Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #18  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by emersonsmomView Post
I definitely think that when I come and here and see something someone has, I think...I WANT THAT! I find myself reading about Target and then having to go there to get whatever the item is....willismama is right, it is keeping up with everyone else that causes the "have to have it." I think it is hard to be happy with what you have and that is why I am trying to practice that this year. It is hard, but we have to try.
Count me in~ I am doing it this year~ I can't even move in my craft room anymore! I am simplifying this year!:mrgreen:

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Ummm... no. What I would like my answer to be is yes. It's so difficult to be happy with what you already have, not only in the stamping world, but in everything else as well. I think being content in life is a biggie, and I'm with some of you... I'll be working on that this year as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

2007 was a major buying year for me. I still have sets and stamps that I haven't used. I am not going to buy anything new for a while. It is difficult for me to resist, but I'm running out of storage room, and could probably make cards for years with out buying anything. I'm not even looking at the new catalog for a while. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

My goal this year was to not spend so much money on stamping related items. I belong to a Stampers 10 that meets once a month and I have to spend $20 at that. I'm okay with that. For the most part, I stick to buying paper and accessories. Although there are a lot of cute stamps out there, I have to weigh the odds on if I really **need** it or not. My demo is awesome in letting me borrow her stamp sets. I usually think that I have to buy it because she has demo'd a great card and it tempts me to have to have that set. My goal is to use what I have this year. So far, so good!!
you made them feel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I hope I am not offending any demos with this thread. I know you ladies work really hard for the customers that you have and I do appreciate my own demo. I will continue to support her in buying what I need to keep my own small business going. She is a wonderful friend and a great demo!

It's just that I feel like I have so much right now. I am going to go through my stickers this morning and pick out many to send along to Guatemala with a mission team from our church. Perhaps there will be other things to send along for the kids in Waywaytonango (sp?). I guess I am feeling really blessed in my life and I am feeling really satisfied with all that I have. I am not passing judgement on those who love to shop for new stuff because, as my friends all know, I certainly have done a lot of that this past year. I guess I was just wondering if other people felt the same way as I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

You know sometimes I just make myself sick thinking about the people in 3rd world countries, they don't even have enough to eat! Here I am, fretting over which silly stamp set to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a demo (SU) so I'm ready for the flames after saying this...but I agree with you. I'm refusing to buy anything new out of the catty until SAB hits in Feb. Yes, it's new and exciting and beautiful but I have so much that is similar and do I really need another flower set?

I felt this same way, (but not as keen to the set) about Artfully Asian when it came out. It seemed like everyone had it and was making great things with it. I still don't have it but I don't regret it either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started stamping almost two years ago and for the past two years I have been on buying spree of some sort. I started out with not a stitch of crafting supplies and feel that I have amassed quite a few sets as well as accessories and tools. I don't have nearly as much as a lot of others on SCS however, I have certainly come along way from my "stamping drawer." LOL! But some of my sets have not seen ink once and I have a set that is not even mounted yet- and I've had it nearly 6 months. I need to use what I have- I certainly have "enough." I won't say that I won't buy anything (SAB is coming soon and I will take advantage of that) but I think this year I will focus more on accessories, tools, and other companies that I haven't tried yet.

Of course, if money were no object- I wouldn't even be posting to this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

No, I'm not happy to make do with what I already have... seeking out and purchasing new products is half the fun. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Seems like lots of us are really thinking about Embrace Life...I have written that stamp set down on my order list and crossed it out....oh, about 15 times. I have re-done my whole order at least 20 times. It has gone from 280 to 50 dollars and now I don't know where I am with it. I'm on a budget this year and trying to stick with it, remembering that a July catty is coming out. Embrace Life will still be in that catty, so I think I have decided I will wait.

I think if you read blogs, look at the SCS gallery, it is natural to want to make a pretty card with all these sets. If I was not on here looking, I would be none the wiser and I am sure my spending would be minimal.

Blurfing and looking at the gallery is fun, but deadly for my pocketbook. It's a shame, because I enjoy looking, but have a hard time doing just that. I always want to take it a step further and spend to get what I am looking at in my hands.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Blurfing and looking at the gallery is fun, but deadly for my pocketbook. It's a shame, because I enjoy looking, but have a hard time doing just that. I always want to take it a step further and spend to get what I am looking at in my hands.
Denise,

Check out the thread about people who've resisted trends. I found reading people's responses there strengthened my resolve quite a bit!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes