Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do for gifts next year?

I know I know. We are just barely over the holidays and I'm already thinking about next year? Sick huh? ;-) But I can't help it. Every year, my list gets bigger and bigger (meeting new, amazing people who become great friends, co-workers, teachers, etc) and it seems that each year I've been able to top the last as far as the things I've created or groups I've participated in to create great items.

So last year, I did several swaps for 6x6 cookbooks. I did about a dozen of them and had enough to give out to the girls in the family and a few friends. This year, I hosted the Disney rolodex swap and I must have done about half a dozen of those and had enough for a few people. I also participated in Disney recipe swaps and had enough for the rest of my list.

So what am I going to do this year? Help ladies! I know you all have some wonderful ideas that I will be able to top this year's Disney items. And I have to get started soon...since I work full-time, go to school more than part-time, and have a family, it's going to take me that long to get going and get done.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, you do have a lot on your plate!! I don't have any ideas but will be watching this thread to see what is suggested. Would a trip through the gallery help inspire you? What other themes besides Disney are "hot" now with crafters - like Harry Potter or something like that? I am so far behind the times I am a new Hello Kitty fan and still think Peekacho (sp) is cute. Good luck and hope some creative people answer you so I can get ideas too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I work full time and go to school full time, also. As soon as school starts back I will have no time to stamp until spring break and summer vacation. I have to start working on Christmas NOW! Don't have any definite ideas, yet, but I'll be watching this thread for inspiration and if I think of anything...(right!) I'll post it here! Brilliant ideas, anyone?

Finally....a blog of my own!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I'm so glad I'm not the only one out here who is feeling the need to get going now since life's business sometimes gets in the way.

I did Disney themes for the last few years because our family and my DH's family (all the in-laws: sister, her hubby and kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) are all taking a Disney cruise as a family in the summer of 2009 (about 24 of us all together so far) Oh! That reminds me...I did paint cans for all of them last year decorated with Disney themes for them to start putting away extra dollars to pay for this trip.

I've also started on autograph books for the kids. I have 3 done, but need at least 4 more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Sadly I have also started planning for this year. I just picked up containers for secret santa gifts and the containers for hubbys co-workers. January I will be starting on cards and 3D items. I do NOT want a repeat of this year. I had such a migraine by Christmas I just wanted it over with lol.

Good luck topping this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

No need to consider us sad...just think. We're going to be all planned and prepared and done next year when the majority of people won't be and they will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off scrambling trying to get it all done in a small amout of time...aaaahhh...what a feeling that will be to not have to go through that again this year. ;-)

So I just thought of something. Calendars! But making it a "countdown" calendar to our cruise in 2009 and putting some pictures from Disney in them. Okay that's one possibility.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I also work in a school and my friends and I always come up with an idea on Dec 26th and start working on them during our vacations so that they are done by the summer. We usually make around 100 gifts total between the three of us.

I cannot believe that I did not take pictures this year but we made card sets. They included a cute folder with a "band" around it with the persons initial on it. The 10 note cards all had the initial on them as well and the cards were blank inside. People loved them...I will try to put another together so I can post a picture

Last year we made these boxes with 10 cards in each. The indiv. cards were simple and are in my gallery. People loved them

Card Box by psychkim at Splitcoaststampers

The year before we did 6x6 albums. They were cute and the pages were all done very simple with "mats" for the indiv. to put pictures in. I think I still have one that I could take pictures of if you are interested in that one.

The year before that we used a 6x6 page protector to create a "folder". The folder was filled with hand stamped gift tags. (We concentrated on birthdays, graduation, fathers day vs Christmas since we were giving them out on Christmas)

This coming year we are doing the acrylic frame post it note holders with pens. We will do both the ones with magnets for the fridge and the ones that can sit on a desk.

Good luck...hope people come up with some great ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about something with Altoid tins? Little sewing kits are on my radar for those and I think those would be fun. I just put in an ad in our company announcements asking for others to give me their tins for refurbishment.

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I will be interested to see everyone's ideas. I made some of the altered composition books this year, with pens, memo pads and big clips, which were nice. I would like to make something to give all the women family members next year. I might have to try my hand at those boxes. I have gobs of paper I need to use, and I want to try to avoid having to buy extra supplies (like this year) if possible. Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

[quote=psychkim;8145368]

The year before we did 6x6 albums. They were cute and the pages were all done very simple with "mats" for the indiv. to put pictures in. I think I still have one that I could take pictures of if you are interested in that one.

I'm thinking 8x8 albums without the photos for my daughters. I made 12x12 scrapbooks with photos from thier childhood that they may not have had. They are actually my step kids and their real mom wasn't very together with stuff like that. We had a major shedding of tears when the albums were received. Both girls take lots of photos and a pretty scrapbook to put them in would be great! That helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I definitely need to start now - so hopefully I won't scurry and then have to spend $$$ I don't want to because I'm in a hurry. There are tons of items on sale that I wonder if I should buy just in case I need it for Christmas - clear ornaments, basket shreds, Christmas cookie cutters... Maybe I'll make recipe books this year and attach those cutters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Great ideas ladies....keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

never too early to start!

i gave a lot of card sets this year. they are usually well received and allows me to make lots of cards.

i do plan to make some christmas cards each month so as to not be in a rush come november.

i have a lot i want/need to do... i have a senior this year... need i say more?!

will be checking here to see what everyone else is 'up to'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I always have so much energy this time of year and it's the best time to start on *next* christmas because around Easter time, I run out of steam! lol

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Gifts for 2008

I made 22 Papercrafts purse totes with matching cards, including one that was briefcase style for my fiance. I never got the pens done, so that is on my list. The totes and cards matched mini notebooks and candles I did a couple of years ago. The totes were a hit. I'm also working on stamping my wedding invitations, return cards, envelopes and programs, so what I will do will be very simple. Thanks for all your sharing. Happy New Year everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff's momView Post
I made 22 Papercrafts purse totes with matching cards, including one that was briefcase style for my fiance. I never got the pens done, so that is on my list. The totes and cards matched mini notebooks and candles I did a couple of years ago. The totes were a hit. I'm also working on stamping my wedding invitations, return cards, envelopes and programs, so what I will do will be very simple. Thanks for all your sharing. Happy New Year everyone!

Your Papercrafts purse totes sound intriguing - especially the briefcase style. Do you have pictures of those?

And I am so glad to hear that there are others out there already planning for 2008! It's always nice to know I'm not losing it.... LOL!!

Happy Stamping and Scrapping

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Saw this while I was breezing through the gallery this morning and love it! Would make a great guy gift!!!
Classic Pickup card and monogram by {Teneale} at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I got inspired at Michaels on Christmas eve. I bought a bunch of the big wood cutouts (8-12 inches) and am covering them with scrapbook paper. I also bought the $1 wood words they had (Let it snow, etc) and will glue them to the wood cutouts. Use your cropodile to punch holes and run ribbon through them for a hanger. You can also print out phrases to use instead of the wood words or add a picture. Now you have a holidy sign/decoration.

I got smaller matching wood cutouts to make matching smaller signs or magnets.

You can also look through catalogs to find phrases. I want to make one that says "Don't get your tinsel in a tangle."

When I finish one I will post it.
Carolina Girls Shoebox Swap #7 - June 13, 2009
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's another great idea from Superfan that I just saw posted in the gallery today. Wish I was coming up with some of these great ideas!!!
Bath Buckets by Superfan at Splitcoaststampers
This idea is more on the lines of a girl gift but I think it's an excellent idea!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Great ideas Honey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Found another one...this one posted by sarsan. A name frame for DH with favorite football team!
Steelers by sarsam at Splitcoaststampers
Maybe I'm partial cuz the Steelers are my favorite football team :0) but I could see this in Bucs for SIL and DS and another in GreenBay logo for other SIL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

This year for my mum and MIL I made a scrapbooked tea tray. I just brought a plain wooden tea tray, then scrapbooked the bottom with photos of the children, and varnished over the top. They turned out really well, but I only had to do 2!! I was also gonna buy chocolate and herbal teas to put with them but ran out of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post
This year for my mum and MIL I made a scrapbooked tea tray. I just brought a plain wooden tea tray, then scrapbooked the bottom with photos of the children, and varnished over the top. They turned out really well, but I only had to do 2!! I was also gonna buy chocolate and herbal teas to put with them but ran out of time.
Ooooh, good idea!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Great ideas,am looking forward to cleaning out my craft room and usually I start there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I found this thread great for ideas:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Also have a wander through the "Anything But A Card" Gallery. Wonderful ideas, including a special "Gift" section:
Boxes, Baskets, Bags and Bows by tessaduck at Splitcoaststampers
Have fun!
Tilly
Happy Fan Club member.

Last edited by Tilly; 01-01-2008 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Hopefully no one (Mom ;) ) will see this, but I'm going to try to take one photo every day. Then, I'm hoping to make a paper bound photobook with all them in it for key people in my family.
I could change my mind before then, but that's the plan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Last year I made recipe books, 8x8 scrapbook style, for my brother and sister. Our parents passed away in 1994 and this is something I had wanted to do for several years. I scanned some of my mom's recipe cards...stains and all. I cut them out and they look like the originals. I then scanned pictures of her, dad, my brother, sister, and myself as kids and some of our family pictures. I made simple scrapbook pages. I also dedicated a 2 page layout to my grandma and grandpa with a couple of grandma's recipes. My brother and sister told me that I would never top this gift. I am hoping to complete recipe books of my mom and dad for my kids and nieces and nephew's this year. I also want to start on my husband's side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniejoView Post
Last year I made recipe books, 8x8 scrapbook style, for my brother and sister. Our parents passed away in 1994 and this is something I had wanted to do for several years. I scanned some of my mom's recipe cards...stains and all. I cut them out and they look like the originals. I then scanned pictures of her, dad, my brother, sister, and myself as kids and some of our family pictures. I made simple scrapbook pages. I also dedicated a 2 page layout to my grandma and grandpa with a couple of grandma's recipes. My brother and sister told me that I would never top this gift. I am hoping to complete recipe books of my mom and dad for my kids and nieces and nephew's this year. I also want to start on my husband's side.
what a wonderful gift to give/receive! Know the recpients will treasure those books!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

bought christmas stuff and tins on sale, to alter for 2008,
small ornaments for embellishing
Reply With Quote Likes