View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #147
goodlicorice
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercrafting View Post
first off, I don't have kids of my own, I am a Stepmom however. My 13 YO who lives with her mom takes meds for ADHD.

I want to tell you all how much I've learned from you. Now when I see parents struggling I think of the experiences you have described and I try to show compassion.

so from someone who only has a little exposure, thank you. Thank you very much.
Annette
This is so nice to hear!

I think having my son has totally changed my perception of being "a good parent". Before, I read tons of parenting books and I was pretty judgemental of how I perceived other people raising their kids, but now I realize most people are truly doing the best they can. If someone's child is freaking out in a store, I now realize it may have little to do with the parenting and have more to do with the circumstances in the store and everything that day that led up to them being in the store in the first place! I'm now waaay more understanding when someone's child is having a fit because I've been there so many times and have heard people's "suggestions" and have never known just how to respond.

I also think some people who've already raised their kids have pretty selective memories of what it's really like.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!