Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Your experiences at Joann's

I am not going to ever go to this store again. Today was the last. Again I go their and the JoAnn's here does not know how to keep their shelves stocked! Everyday normal items are bare. And they are not even on sale or anything!
Then where the heck are the employees? There was 1 checkout girl and 11 people inline! I went up and asked her if they could open another checkout and she said they did not schedule anyone else. I asked her to put my items back as I was not going to wait in line that long. I did send an email on my store experience when I got home. I am just tired of our store as this is not the first time this has happened. Thanks for letting me vent.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty weather

Tina:

Could it be that hardly any staff could make it in due to the nasty storm we are having. You are in Wisconsin, hardly the tropics. I know here in Toronto that many did not make it in to work including the people on the radio. It is just too dangerous to drive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

No, all Joanne stores are NOT alike, lol! I remember when my SIL came out from Long Island and we went to my Joanne's. I always complain how dinky it is, but she just RAVED about how big and beautiful mine was, lol! And mine is nowhere near the level of one of their super stores!

I will be ecstatic to hear they are shutting down mine, since that'll mean they'll start to turn it into a super store! Yippee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE the on store in Dayton. I wasn't going to go but my mom told me you HAVE to go. I was thinking ok whatever mom. But she is a seamstress and we did live there for 10 years so I'm sure she knows something about the stores up there. WOW! Great store. Now the Joann's here is hit or miss. One doesn't carry anything stamp related the other one does. Sorry you had a bad experience. I'm glad you e-mailed them though, I just had to do that with Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

ours is horrible too. it isn't an "etc" one, just one of the smaller ones. It is always the same as how you described yours Tina, empty shelves, no employees - no matter what time of year. I pop in once in a blue moon on the off chance that they have decided to improve but they never have. i am surprised they are still in business, i guess there are enough folks around here that buy fabric that it keeps them going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #6  
Hot Mess

the Joann's here is pretty bad. I also have had bad experiences with their online store so I don't shop Joanns anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I think it really depends on who is managing the store. I have visited about 6 different Joann's in 4 different states in the last year and they were all different. Luckily the one that I live by is great. I would call the manager over at your Joanne's to complain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

The store you describe sounds just like the JA' in my area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am within driving distance of at least 3 JoAnn's. I guess I am the lucky one. They are all three well stocked and have lots of employees. The one in Novi is 2 stories!

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

On Black Friday I went to our local Joanne's, and about had a respiratory attack before I even got in the door.

Now I'm not asthmatic, but potpouri and certain fragrances are too overwhelming. Our Joanne's had a HUGE potpouri display IN THE VESTIBLE, you know, that 8 ft square space between the outside doors and the doors to the store?

It was so overwhelming that I thought I was going to die. So I hurry inside and ask an associate about it. She tells me there is nothing they can do since that is where "corporate" told them they HAD to put the stuff. So I told her I wouldn't be back. (And I was there to buy a new sewing machine, not exactly a "small" purchase!!)

I held my breath while literally running out of the store. (even with the doors closed, the smell was so overpowering when anyone came through them that shopping was impossible anyway.) I emailed corporate but haven't had a response...

When something like that is a health issue, you'd think they'd be a bit more flexible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

UGH!!!!!!
~ that's all I have to say about my experiences at Joanns!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

When I lived in Ohio the local Joanns we had was CRAP and I mean NOTHING but some jolees type stickers, few stamps, inks and paper CRAP(1 isle was all they had for BOTH scrap/stamp supplies)! Then if I would drive 30 mins away the joanns there was HEAVEN atleast 5 isles of Scrapbook and stamp stuff from dies, paper, stamps, scrapbooks and kits you name it! So it just really depends on the store I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

unfortunately the poor girl checking out probably wishes she could have walked right out with you. you got to leave, she probably had another 8 hours of 11 or more people in line at all times...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johanna7View Post
Tina:

Could it be that hardly any staff could make it in due to the nasty storm we are having. You are in Wisconsin, hardly the tropics. I know here in Toronto that many did not make it in to work including the people on the radio. It is just too dangerous to drive.
Weather doesn't have anything to do with it today in WI. It's sunny here...and where Tina is, also. ;)

Joann's just stinks ~ plain and simple. Doesn't matter where you go, they all stink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to add they are always the most expensive in my experience. Example: Cuttlebug at J's $89.99 at M's and HL $79.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

There are two Joann's within easy driving distance of my house. One is very tiny and has very little. The other, which of course, is further away, is BIG, has a lot of merchandies, lots of employees, lots of check out stands that are open and is nearly always a very positive experience. It is also near a Borders and a Comp USA, so hubby can go there while I shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I've always been quite pleased with the one in Lansing. They have a great selection, and the checkout lanes are usually quite speedy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm very happy with the big Joann's near me. The employees are pleasant & helpful and the store is pretty well stocked. There's a smaller (mostly sewing) store a little further away - yuck. But every time I go into M's, it's an unpleasant experience.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

My store never has any stock either. A few months they remodeled and I had high hopes. But no, now the empty shelves are just newer. They did change their check out system so now you can get through the lines faster to not buy what you need.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Sorry you had such a bad experience at your Joann's store. I've never had issues with the one near me. Except one instance, but it was sewing related. I was taking a how to sew a fleece stadium blanket class and they had no red fleece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll add my "Ugh" to the list. Our Jo-Ann's is obviously typical - must be a management trait at the highest levels - remember "A fish rots from the head down." :confused:

We no longer have any other fabric stores in town, nor do we have any independent craft stores (the big box stores make it difficult for a small business to compete :( ), so Jo-Ann's is the only game in town! I will count my blessings that at least we have Jo-Ann's, because if they weren't here, the nearest craft/fabric store of any size is 45 min away. How pathetic is that??? Very....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Honestly, I havent been to mine in over 5 years. It's messy, disorganized so I can never find anything.

Id rather shop anywhere than Joanns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #23  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 598 Likes on 419 Posts

Mine is pretty good. I have 3 all about 20 minutes from my house. The one I really like is good, I was just there. They do seem understaffed, but just about every store is these days. There is one I do not bother to go to and the other one is fine, I go if I am in the area. Our wal-mart just got rid of most of their crafts. I do have Michaels and ac moore fairly close too. And some really great local sb and stamp stores, I guess I am really spoiled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

This is my complaint about JoAnns - I hardly ever get to use the 50% off coupons in the store because you can't use it on merchandise that is already on sale and it seems like "everything" papercraft and scrapbook related is on sale during the 50% off promotion. I've checked with other people in other states and they've had the same experience. So last time I had a 50% off coupon and I couldn't find anything craft related not on sale to use it on I decided to get a magazine. The cash register wouldn't accept my 50% off coupon and the cashier informed me that "the magazines are 10% off this week so you can't use the coupon". I went back to the magazine isle and looked and there was no sign or any other indication that magazines were on sale. That's when I decided to not go back to JoAnns for a long time. Has anyone else had this experience?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyinfriscoView Post
This is my complaint about JoAnns - I hardly ever get to use the 50% off coupons in the store because you can't use it on merchandise that is already on sale and it seems like "everything" papercraft and scrapbook related is on sale during the 50% off promotion. I've checked with other people in other states and they've had the same experience. So last time I had a 50% off coupon and I couldn't find anything craft related not on sale to use it on I decided to get a magazine. The cash register wouldn't accept my 50% off coupon and the cashier informed me that "the magazines are 10% off this week so you can't use the coupon". I went back to the magazine isle and looked and there was no sign or any other indication that magazines were on sale. That's when I decided to not go back to JoAnns for a long time. Has anyone else had this experience?
Yes, almost every time I try to use a coupon. I was able to use a 40% off coupon on coarse sugar for cookies - it saved me about $1.50. That is the first and only coupon I've been able to have "qualifiy" in longer than I can remember. Pathetic, just pathetic....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't had much luch with ANY craft store!!!! Not sure what the problem is....... never much help, usually an attitude at checkout, and long check out lines~! Ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one here is horrid. Every single time I've been in there, there has only been one checker and one person at the fabric/ribbon cutting station. I still go of course because they have items I want. I just try to be patient and remember that it's not the employees fault that there are 50 customers and only one checker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I have 3 huge JoAnn's within a 10mile radius, and I love them all. I'm in a relatively big metrapolitan area. I've been to the small, old JoAnn's in other towns and have been very disappointed at the size of the scrapbooking and stamping selections. Most of the old JoAnn's are still the fabric stores my mother used to drag me to as a kid. I hope they start updating them because I'm moving to a smaller city soon, and I hate the tiny JoAnn's over there, but a Hobby Lobby just opened up an hour away so I guess I'll survive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin'hokieView Post
The store you describe sounds just like the JA' in my area.
I second that!!!!!!!:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
I am not going to ever go to this store again. Today was the last. Again I go their and the JoAnn's here does not know how to keep their shelves stocked! Everyday normal items are bare. And they are not even on sale or anything!
Then where the heck are the employees? There was 1 checkout girl and 11 people inline! I went up and asked her if they could open another checkout and she said they did not schedule anyone else. I asked her to put my items back as I was not going to wait in line that long. I did send an email on my store experience when I got home. I am just tired of our store as this is not the first time this has happened. Thanks for letting me vent.
We have some snow on the ground but our weather is fine and clear. I think it is truly that again they did not schedule enough people. It is common to go in there and yet hardly see any employees. The store was very busy today when I was as all the dshoppers were out and about,.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

I can tell you, whoever runs that company needs to sit down and look at the bigger picture. The one in my town is TINY, I mean tiny, and still more of a sewing store. They have two 10-ft aisle of papercrafting stuff, that's it! There are other J's in nearby towns and they are the big kind. So why does the company do that? It's been like this for years and years, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

It's funny reading people's experiences with their local Joann's stores. The subject caught my attention mostly because of an unusual experience I had at our store. The store itself isn't so bad. Though their supply of stamping stuff is minimal, and very unpredictable.

I can't go in there anymore without thinking of this particular event. . . .

As is usually the case, there was only one person working the check-out register. I was in line for a while behind 2 or 3 people, and as I waited I was talking to a friend on my cell phone. I had ONE item, and had my cash in hand ready to pay when it was my turn. But when it was my turn, the lady at the register said, "When you finish your conversation, I will ring up your order."
WHAT THE ****???? I have NEVER had that happen before, anywhere!
Now, little sweet me tells my friend to hold on, put the phone down and pay for my item. Shaking my head in disbelief and wondering if I am on Candid Camera or something. I guess the girl was either in a really bad mood or cell phones are against her "way of thinking". I'm not sure.
Whenever I think back on it, I wish I had thought quickly enough to say "Okay, I will be finished talking in a few minutes," and then just stood there holding up the line until I was finished with my phone conversation.

Maybe it's rude to talk on the phone while you spend your own money at a store, but no other stores have ever minded taking my $$$$ while I talk on the phone. Not to change the subject of Joann's stores, but any thoughts on this??? Maybe this should be a new thread..."cell phone etiquette."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I hate their online policy. I received a gift that my SIL purchased online & wasn't able to return it to the store, even though when I called they said they would. I have to send it to their headquarters then get a refund that can only be used online. What a crock!!!
besides the fact I waited on hold forever!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ours is ok, seems stocked but I never walk out there feeling"Wow". I love Recollections but they are closing. The stuff there is classy and well coordinated with other products. Michaels is like a warehouse and stuff is crammed in tight aisles. I buy a lot online. After recollections closes I amsure i won't be going to craft stores much:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny it must be different store to store -- I have had no problems with the one I go to, either.

Of course I haven't gone there looking specifically FOR something. I always find out whether I am going to like a store when I am looking for something and have to ask an employee. Michaels is absolutely HORRID and I can't understand why anyone thought I should go to AC Moore, either - that store was more dreadful than even Walmart -the store was horrible and the employees were worse and didn't know anything about what they had or didn't have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #36  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 389 Likes on 234 Posts

Our old JoAnn's store was AWFUL. Much like you described. However, they closed that one, opened a whole new store in a different building and it is now amazing. They hired all new staff, the store is well organized and well-run now. Sorry you have such a lousy one. Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorView Post
Our old JoAnn's store was AWFUL. Much like you described. However, they closed that one, opened a whole new store in a different building and it is now amazing. They hired all new staff, the store is well organized and well-run now. Sorry you have such a lousy one. Been there, done that.
I wish our stare would do that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

I visit two Joann's stores near me, thought not as much now as when I was doing more sewing and quilting. I get their flyer in the mail and can use their 40% coupons at either Michael's or AC Moore, also near me. I agree that their registers are usually understaffed. Sometimes I have to wait until the person from the fabric cutting table finished with that line for her to come to the register! However, the employees are usually pretty friendly. The scrapbooking/stamping supplies haven't changed much over the years - still the same type of papers, embellishments, etc.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I have similar bad experiences at our local Joann's. Our Hobby Lobby isn't much better though they do carry more inventory. Walmart has eliminated all of their rubber stamping and almost all of their scrapbooking items. I pretty much have been ordering online most of the time unless I need something right away. I can find much better deals and products online even with paying shipping. I would prefer to be able to go the store if they would have better stock and less frustrating customer service. Our Joann's seem to not restock shelves on whatever is going to be on sale for the next week. When you get there even on the first day of the sale the inventory is almost empty.

I don't understand why these companies don't recognize the problem. Surely, they have noticed all the online companies.

As for pot pouri, thankfully most stores have quit using it in their stores. Many people, like me, are allergic to many of the things in it and cannot shop in any store that uses it. I have to avoid the aisles that have it packaged even. I have walked up to the door of many stores only to have to leave without shopping because of it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Mine is closing, so I can't use any coupons period. :( It was OK, though. My biggest complaint is that they rarely got anything new in. It was the same old stuff every time I went in. BTW, I don't know if all of them do it, but Michael's and A.C. Moore accept competitors' coupons. I use my JoAnn's coupons at those stores all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes