Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh... I hate it when my DH is working on the checkbook.

He doesn't sit down every month to do this so when he does, it's for quite a few months. Anyhow, he said that in the last year, I've spent close to $2000 on crafts (at Hobby Lobby and Michael's). I did tell him that not everything was specifically on crafts as I've bought many presents, etc., there as well. So then I asked him how much he's spent on computer stuff. He told me he's spent $400. I said really? That's for all of the computer memory, hard drives, etc.? Oh, no that's just at Best Buy. (Hmmmm.... so how much would the credit card purchases add up to?)

Anyhow, the good news is that I don't need anything. LOL I think I need to work on curbing my spending habits. I have at least sold off the items that I purchased and found I wasn't using. (Prismacolor markers, Marvey punches, etc.) I also need to get the gym more since my insurance pays for $20 each month as long as I get there at least twelve times per month.

So, my new goals are to 1) get to the gym 12 times a month and 2) use what I have. (I am also thinking that I will probably give up being a TAC demo because it's such a temptation to spend money.) I suppose I should figure out a good budget for spending money on stamping stuff......

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH does the same thing. I ALWAYS need something, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I was just about to say have you thought about becoming a SU demo? I've gotten tons of stuff this year, and with my discount and instant income I've pretty much paid for it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I was just about to say have you thought about becoming a SU demo? I've gotten tons of stuff this year, and with my discount and instant income I've pretty much paid for it all.
I think our area is pretty much saturated with Stampin' Up and I do have a good friend who is a demo. (And I am just a hobby demo with TAC.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Thats why I'm glad that I keep our checkbook and I pay the bills....he doesn't have a clue!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
Thats why I'm glad that I keep our checkbook and I pay the bills....he doesn't have a clue!!!!
Ditto for me!

Of course, my husband prefers that I keep track of our money. He's worse than I am at spending money, especially on things like stereo equipment, woodworking supplies, movies and other media, gourmet and specialty grocery stores, etc. So he never, ever scolds me when I overspend a bit on craft supplies, bless his heart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I didn't need anything either...then I visited Ellen Hudson's store, then SU is retiring some stuff I like, then Papertrey released a couple cute sets.... ( :
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie018075View Post
I didn't need anything either...then I visited Ellen Hudson's store, then SU is retiring some stuff I like, then Papertrey released a couple cute sets.... ( :

And just wait until you see the new SU catty....I can't wait to be able to order from it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie018075View Post
LOL! So true!

This is why I have a separate checking account for spending money. DH and I each get a monthly allowance deposit into our own accounts and we can spend as we see fit! If I really want something more expensive, then I talk to him about it. Or I really mean I tell him I'm spending $XX and the same amount will be deposited into his account to keep it equal. It keeps me happy and I don't worry about what I spend.

Last edited by SammyStamper; 12-15-2007 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: can't spell this late
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default $$$

Well ladies, I have a theory........

CASH LEAVES NO TRAIL.......

hahahahaha

That's all I have to say!

Have a great Christmas!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:39 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I like to think of money spent on crafts as "cheaper than therapy".

But I tend to go a bit overboard with spending though. So I now have a credit card dedicated to just craft supplies and I pay it off with my little "budget" that I've given myself. I don't always stick to it, but it's a start. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post
Well ladies, I have a theory........

CASH LEAVES NO TRAIL.......
I follow this rule quite often. He doesn't question when I take out $40 cash here and there. Maybe I'll have to do that more often. (Hey, I'm putting IN about $2000 a month - after taxes and my flex plan are taken out.) My rule also is that any check that comes to me that isn't a paycheck is cashed, not deposited.

I think what drives me NUTS is that we've only been married 2-1/2 years (and we're both 39 and this is our first (and only) marriage each). So, it bugs me when someone questions or makes comments about my purchases. I'm not a kid and I've lived on my own for some time now. I don't feel I have to justify any purchase I make. Maybe I should open a separate checking account and deposit so much money a month in it. Then who cares how it is spent... as long as I don't spend too much, that is.

I shouldn't really complain because it's good that one of us is a saver. I think it would be harder to have two spenders.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I probably spend too much, but my DH says it is a cheaper addiction than others. It is healthier and mostly keeps me home. Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambystamperView Post
I probably spend too much, but my DH says it is a cheaper addiction than others. It is healthier and mostly keeps me home. Debbie
LOL, I wish all hubbies would think like that;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

OK. Let's just clear the air. Stamping is NOT cheaper than therapy. With good health benefits it's only $20 a visit and that's a lot less than I pay for my little addiction. Kimberly, if you do it right, you could tell your husband that the therapist advised you to continue on your current course of spending, because otherwise it could cause a break in your personality!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
OK. Let's just clear the air. Stamping is NOT cheaper than therapy. With good health benefits it's only $20 a visit and that's a lot less than I pay for my little addiction. Kimberly, if you do it right, you could tell your husband that the therapist advised you to continue on your current course of spending, because otherwise it could cause a break in your personality!
Hmmmm... and I work at a mental health center. Yeah, I bet I can get one of the doctors/therapists/nurses to write me a note. LOL But you know, at $20 a visit multiplied by three times a week by 52 weeks... that would still be $3120. Actually, I don't have a co-pay on my insurance but I do have a $300 deductible with an out-of-pocket for the year of $1500 so technically therapy would only cost me a maximum of $1500 a year so that would put me at a stamping budget of $125 a month. I think that's a doable amount. LOL

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

But as far as addictions go... stamping is MUCH cheaper. Even going out to the bars is expensive. I think in my college days, I could easily spend $40-$50 on myself. (Back in the days when I drank, that is. Now I maybe have one drink a year. My limit is about one and half because I start dropping them at two.) Anyhow, our party nights were Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Wednesdays were usually keggers so that was only $5 for a bottomless cup. If we started drinking at someone's house, I think we'd each start with a 12-pack of beer or something like that - although a 1/2 pint of vodka was cheap. blah blah blah... Regardless, stamping is easily cheaper than drinking at a bar. Easily! Especially with the prices now. Anyone ever tried a Screaming Orgasm? yum... Vodka, Kahlua, Bailey's, and Amaretto. It's definitely a sipping drink. (I think I've wandered off my own topic...) ;)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

And don't get started on pot and meth. Not that I've ever used either... (more specifically meth although I did have to give myself injections of methotrexate to get my rheumatoid arthritis into submission, er, remission, but it sure isn't the same thing) but dang that can be expensive too!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dh & I have only been married 4 years this coming week, We have a joint Checking account and I have my own Checking account. And saving account as well as a CD.

Well I pay all the bills and all he ask is if there's money to purchase his Cigarette. Or to get Cash out.

Other than that he doesn't question my spending. Although I don't use our House money to purchase my Stamping Stuff.

But if you want to talk about a Expensive Hobby He has a Few.

Snowmobiling, Scuba Diving, Camping ( I also love to camp and Snowmobile too.)

So he really doesn't say to much to me about how much I spend on my Habit.

All he cares about is having the bills paid and that we have a little extra spending money.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
But if you want to talk about a Expensive Hobby He has a Few. .... All he cares about is having the bills paid and that we have a little extra spending money.
Well the good news is that my DH's Harley is paid off as of this month. Yay! What's funny is that if I want (or need) anything related to the car or computer, I barely have to mention it and he goes and buys it. For example, I had been having a problem with my car stereo's display shorting out. It isn't really a problem because I don't need to change the station. I was using an FM transmitter for my iPod but on my two-hour drive to work that I only make twice a month (work from home otherwise), there are spots where a radio station cuts in. In isn't really a problem since I know where this is and can just pause the audiobook until I'm through that town. I mentioned this to him.. He checks the Best Buy ad and sees there's a newer Alpine stereo on sale that has a direct hook-up for the iPod (no need for the FM transmitter). So.. $300 later, I can see what time it is and my iPod sounds great. In MY mind, I was thinking of the stamps I could have bought with that money.

Which, by the way, I wonder if he added that $300 into the money he's spent at Best Buy in the last year? I'm guessing not because I know he's bought three hard drives and two wireless routers plus two wireless cards for my laptop. It shouldn't matter if he spent the money on me, right? I mean, if he's counting just the money I spent at Michaels and Hobby Lobby... never mind that some of that was for gifts for our moms and grandmothers, etc.

Oh well, he's not mad at me... I hope I didn't imply that at all. Mainly because I gave him "the look" and said it wasn't all for me. Of course then I had to tell him that my PayPal credit card has a balance of around $800. Actually, it's about $900 but I had just made a payment of $200 so technically it will be about $700 tomorrow. He told me to add on what his motorcycle payments were to my monthly payments to get that paid off. (Thank goodness he hasn't asked me lately about my other credit card.) It has less than $1000 on it. Actually, I consider that good because the available balance is $6000. I have another one that I keep only for emergencies that has an available balance of $7000. I've never used it but it's nice knowing that I have it.

Money... ugh.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

You have to start spending cash on your purchases - much harder to track. lol

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Funny how husbands are...a good friend of my husband is a very sucessful motorcyle mechanic. He has told me and DH that often a customer will come in and ask for two invoices - the real one and one that shows a lower cost to show the wife. My DH and I cracked up about this!! I handle the finances in our household, but Dh know's what we have in savings, etc. Although I make purchases throughout the year, he ususally gets a few big ticket items during the year that more than make up what I spend in craft supplies!! Husbands hobbies are always more expensive than ours. When he had his harley I used to kid him that HD doesn't stand for Harley-Davidson, it stands for "hundred dollars" because we never spent less than that when we went into a HD store! He has since sold his bike - but replaced it with a corvette......need I say more??

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

When I was in direct sales, I used to let my customers know that we accepted cash, check, Visa, MC, or Discover OR a little bit of each so that your SO doesn't know exactly how much you spent. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I would nicely tell him that since you are bringing home $2000 a month, $2000 for your hobby is not so bad!!! I just applied for a job just so I could have 'hobby' spending money!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Hi Kimberly,

Those are great goals for the new year. I need to join you at the gym. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by E&BsmomView Post
When I was in direct sales, I used to let my customers know that we accepted cash, check, Visa, MC, or Discover OR a little bit of each so that your SO doesn't know exactly how much you spent. ;)

yes, its called the Husband Unawareness plan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

oops.

Last edited by steffsscraps; 12-16-2007 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: duplicate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyStamperView Post
LOL! So true!

This is why I have a separate checking account for spending money. DH and I each get a monthly allowance deposit into our own accounts and we can spend as we see fit! If I really want something more expensive, then I talk to him about it. Or I really mean I tell him I'm spending $XX and the same amount will be deposited into his account to keep it equal. It keeps me happy and I don't worry about what I spend.
My Husband and I have a similar arrangement and it really does keep the peace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Early into our marriage it was clear that I had to be the one to do the bills. However, the deal I made is that we would have no credit card debt, my husband could select our savings goal, and after that leave me alone. As long as we meet or exceed our savings goal he is ok with what I spend. Of course, he guessed it was $50 per month last week!! Oh dear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
He doesn't sit down every month to do this so when he does, it's for quite a few months. Anyhow, he said that in the last year, I've spent close to $2000 on crafts (at Hobby Lobby and Michael's). I did tell him that not everything was specifically on crafts as I've bought many presents, etc., there as well. So then I asked him how much he's spent on computer stuff. He told me he's spent $400. I said really? That's for all of the computer memory, hard drives, etc.? Oh, no that's just at Best Buy. (Hmmmm.... so how much would the credit card purchases add up to?)

Anyhow, the good news is that I don't need anything. LOL I think I need to work on curbing my spending habits. I have at least sold off the items that I purchased and found I wasn't using. (Prismacolor markers, Marvey punches, etc.) I also need to get the gym more since my insurance pays for $20 each month as long as I get there at least twelve times per month.

So, my new goals are to 1) get to the gym 12 times a month and 2) use what I have. (I am also thinking that I will probably give up being a TAC demo because it's such a temptation to spend money.) I suppose I should figure out a good budget for spending money on stamping stuff......

Kimberly

I find I have to race my hubby to the mailbox once every month so I can get that VISA bill and tuck it in with the junk mail until I get to the house. However, it is hard to race against the 4-wheeler.....huff puff....

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes