Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wizard Owners - Do you like it???

If you own a Wizard, I would love to know if you like it. Do you use other dies with it? Is the Wizard better than the Cuttlebug, or just different?
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my wizard and I have used it once. It is a ratchet type system rather than a handle that you roll like the cuttlebug.

I was able to follow the directions and get the wizard to work!! I only used it once with the nestabilities to emboss and cut. it worked as advertised. I hope to have some time tonight to play some more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE my WIZARD.

I have had a Wizard since pretty much the beginning of Spellbinders. It was the first machine to be universal. I loved that. I jumped for joy when I saw that it cut dies and that it embossed brass stencils and household found items.

My husband approved my Wizard because it's metal and not plastic. It also won his approval after I embossed his poker chips and smashed beer bottle caps. Then when I die cut and embossed a piece of metal from a beer/pop can. He said my investment was worth it.

I have used Sizzix Original Dies and Quickuts with my machine. I know all the other manufacture dies will work too.

I love embossing my Fiskars Texture Plates with my Wizard and Brass Stencils. For a fun embossed image, I "borrow" some gutter guard from DH's stash in the garage and some window screen too. ssshhh, don't tell him.

As far as I can recall, Spellbinders is the only company that will warranty their machine even if you use another manufactures product in it. I am not aware of the others doing that.

I've done projects with polymar clay and adhering rub on's to metal. Which by the way does not leave stick marks when doing it with the Wizard.

I could go on and on. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me or post.

I am a Wizard Fan. I am also addicted to the Spellbinders Dies.

Hope this helps,
Kar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Default Not my favorite...

I own a Wizard and an Ellison Big Shot. I really like the Big Shot better for two reasons. I don't like the racheting system, and I don't like how the plates kind of launch themselves out of the Wizard. It's much gentler with the Big Shot and the handle is very easy to turn. Although I do love the dies that Spellbinders make. They work very well in the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimannefView Post
I own a Wizard and an Ellison Big Shot. I really like the Big Shot better for two reasons. I don't like the racheting system, and I don't like how the plates kind of launch themselves out of the Wizard. It's much gentler with the Big Shot and the handle is very easy to turn. Although I do love the dies that Spellbinders make. They work very well in the Big Shot.
Ditto except that I have the Cuttlebug. ($39.99 at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.) I had a Wizard but it was a lot of work to start the sandwich through the machine and at times there was a lot of ratcheting going on to get it through... and then it would shoot out the other end. I have also accidentally caught parts of me in the rollers while trying to get a sandwich through - not fun. I like the color though! The CB can use all the the same dies as the others (except for maybe some of the really big ones) like Spellbinders, Sizzix, Quickutz, etc. I didn't use the Wizard much because it took up quite a bit of room on my desk AND it was so dang heavy. I pretty much only used it when I was working on a swap and had several items to cut, otherwise it sat in the cabinet. It's a pretty sturdy machine though. All metal. If you have space to have it out so you can use it easily, go for it!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to agree with hooked2. I love my wizard and it is soooo versatile. I use the wizard dies, brass stencils, fiskar texture plates, cuttlebug folders and so on.

Well worth the investment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I'm new at my Wizard, but its getting a workout and worth the money I spent on it! I will advise that this machine is DEFINITELY NOT appropriate for young children! There is a great deal of pressure on the plates that they literally "shoot" out when done. I've been hit in the "upper" region if I don't catch it just right...lol

I have to agree with Joan though...I miss the spindle turn that my cuttlebug has. The rachet system is not bad, but if your using it at night(when the rest of the family is asleep), its a bit loud!

Overall, I'm still pleased with my purchase and I paid much less for it than most websites are offering. I think it was $95 WITH shipping from www.ucutathome.com and they give you a 40% coupon you can use towards the wizard and dies. I purchased a complete set of dies for 56.00 including shipping;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another wizard owner here! I LOVE my wizard, it's extremely versatile! I have used dies from spellbinders, sizzix (steel rule dies and sizzlits), elliison thin cuts, cuttlebug. Anything you have will work in it! I have also used the fiskars embossing plates in the wizard. There was a steep learning curve but I get help from other wizard owners (like Kar) on a different message board. I thought about getting a cuttlebug but decided against it because my wizard does everything the cuttlebug does and more. Yes, it does have a ratcheting sound and the plates shoot out (not a problem unless you forget to catch them), but the positives more than outweight the negatives. Have you seen the video on the Spellbinder's site? Good luck with your decision.

My growing gallery!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my wizard too. I got one of the original ones, so I have had it for some time. I put it on a table and do not have to worry about the plates "shooting out" at me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 04:44 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I have to agree that I love my Wizard! I love it for all of the same reasons mentioned above. Durability is important to me because I'm very hard on my tools. The Wizard is about as durable as you can get being all metal construction, yet it only weighs 4 lbs. For me personally it has been the best choice.

I know that I will get consistently good results whether I'm using Spellbinders dies or any of the other consumer dies on the market. The amount of pressue exerted by the rollers on this machine is the reason for the results. And when loaded properly, you can definitely minimize the force that the mats exit the machine. The only time I've had any problem with that at all is when I've been in a big hurry and not paying attention.

Whenever this topic comes up it usually produces a wide variety of responses. If at all possible, trying out a machine is the best way to determine if it's the one for you. Another guide to use is what are you planning on using it for. Since the Nestabilities are what so many people are interested in, if you don't have a machine I would buy the machine that those dies were made to be used in. That combination is going to insure the optimum results, as it would with any machine and it's specific dies.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another Wizard fan! I have the CB, and like it, but hate how heavy it is, and the fact that I've had to replace the B plates 5 times due to cracking. I love the depth of the dry embossing that I achieve with the Wizard - definitely noticible when compared to CB. I've noticed the sandwich shooting out, and now automatically have my hand out to grab it. The other thing that I notice is that if I use it repeatedly (I've been doing mass production for invites and Christmas cards), there is a build up of static electricity (kitty was definitely not amused when I accidently shocked her when I petted her).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a new owner of the Wizard (thanks to SCS enabling!) and have no regrets about my purchase. I use it with the nestabilities and the cuttlebug embossing folders. I got the hang of it within just a few tries, and, as mentioned above, I can always come here with any question I have.

In my comparison shopping, I like that it is light, stores easily, and the very high quality of the embossing. The ratcheting idea works well for me, but I have not used the turn-the-handle die cutting systems, so I guess that little tidbit doesn't really count.

The only con is the price, but if you shop around, deals can be found. I paid less than it costs for a full set of one of the nestabilities shapes. My vote for the Wizard is a huge thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Urgh... I hate this type of opinions. Too 50-50 :confused:
I asked for either a CB or a Wizard for Christmas with some nestibilities.
I couldn't make up my mind, still can't, since the reviews are so mixed.
So whichever I get, if I get it, will be the one I'll have.
If I do get it, it's probably the CB.
It's easier for husband to get his hands on it I think.
But we'll see.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my wizard too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default Lethal...

I started out with the Cuttlebug and loved it. But then I tried the F. texture plates. The texture plate shot out of the Cuttlebug and put a hole in the wall five feet away!! I can laugh about it now, but all I could think about is how am I going to explain this to my husband??? And thank the good Lord my dog wasn't standing there!! Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I'd love to try the Wizard because of all of the mixed reviews, but I need to find someone who is willing to show me how to use it, or I'll get frustrated, and give up. Maybe one of these days...

Smiles,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Anne, where are you in AZ? That's where Spellbinders is, you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
Anne, where are you in AZ? That's where Spellbinders is, you know!
I know they're down here, and have just moved, but they don't have a storefront, do they? I've emailed them hoping to take a class locally, but haven't heard back (perhaps because of the move). I'd love to learn from the best, but would settle for someone who knows how to use it.

Smiles,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I pm'd you Anne. They don't have a store front, but welcome people to walk in! You can buy directly from them and save on shipping since you live in the area.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Anne,
Stacey (of Spellbinders) was doing classes/demos at The Creative Quest in downtown Glendale and I've seen classes listed at Red Rubber Stamps as well as Scrappin' Sisters. (Also,usually there is a Spellbinders rep at the local AZ scrap and stamp shows too that will gladly answer any questions.)

Stacey is wonderful and will take all the time you need to help you master your Wizard (doesn't take but a moment really). She is so passionate about her product and really gets into it showing off all of its capabilities with different materials and products.

I've been drooling over the Nestabilities and hope hubby gets my hints for Christmas!!!

I have a couple of Spellbinder catalogs and in each it gives the 'sandwich recipes' for Spellbinder dies as well as brass stencils, Fiskars, and all the other manufacturer's dies. Once you get the hang of which mat to use it really is easy.

My two cents...hth
Suzanne
Glendale, AZ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the push! I was going to meet with Stacey today, but my dh's appointment was rescheduled, so I'm hoping for Wednesday. I've already warned dh that I'll be gone for a bit, so the kids are his. Maybe he wouldn't be so agreeable if he knew that I'm going to try out another die cut machine when I already have a Cuttlebug. =-)

Smiles,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

My initial comment is the Wizard is HORRIBLE. I know most people either LOVE it or HATE it. If anyone has any tips on how to get the Wizard to "catch" that is what I need. I put the sandwich together and sometimes it will take 10 tries or more (no lie) to get the ratchet gear to "catch" and start the feed. Once caught I love how it cuts or embosses, but more often than not I cannot get it to catch. It either won't feed, or it will feed about an inch and then jams. I get so frustrated I usually don't even bother any more. Nearly 2 years ago I bought not one, but TWO of them. My daughter-in-law and I were at a convention, watched the demo -- done by the owners of Spellbinders -- and I bought one for her and one for me. Eeek, $140 EACH (included full $89 set of alphabet) and neither she nor I can get the ratchets to catch. We've watched the demo CD, the demo on the website, and last summer we took them with us to the annual convention to talk with the owners again. They spent some time showing us how to get the gears to start up, how to hold the sandwich, etc. However, they did not want to use our machines, we used theirs. We each tried many times and it worked fine on their machine. We went home armed with our new knowledge and, as before, neither of us can get either machine to work without trying many times before they will "catch" -- it is very hit or miss. I have packed mine away and bought a Cuttlebug, which I have used many, many times with ease, and it is only a month old. Unless there is some other secret to starting up the sandwich on the Wizard, I have to say that we both HATE it. Any suggestions? Tkx ---sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Since Spellbinders made the video shown on the site a few new tips have been introduced, a new video is in production.

If you could get out the Wizard and try one more time, I'd like to know if these tips work for you....they are simple and sometimes forgotten or not realized..

1) Make sure the Wizard handle is facing you before starting and the word "spellbinders" on the machine is upside down.

2) Stack your spacer plate, die and paper in the middle of the white mat, do not put them at the top or towards the bottom, by placing them in the middle you make insertion much easier.

3) Bring the mats to the back of the machine and place them against the two cylinders holding the back of the mats with your left hand. DO NOT lay the mats down on the back of the machine, keep them horizontal with the table.

4) Place the palm of your right hand on the cylinder and roll it away from you, this should pull the mats approx. 1/2" to 1" into the cylinders. Don't be afraid to really roll it!

5) Take the handle (that is facing towards you), making a 1/2 circular motion, bring the handle to the table at the top of the machine, stop, the mats should be inserted. Bring the handle 1/2 way back, then all the way to the table beside the top of the machine. Repeat.

6) Take your left hand and now move it to the front of the machine where the mats are exiting, hold mats to control the exit.

This should work for you!

Another tip would be to just practice inserting the mats with the embossing pad only, no paper or die.

If this still isn't working for you call Mark in Customer Serivce and he will walk you through it. 1-888-547-0400

Hope this helps!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Kim: Thanks much. I will try running through your tips step by step and let you know how it works. I have already tried moving the card stock etc. to the middle of the sandwich and it didn't help. But, I am first going to try making the sandwich without any dies and see if the handling is a little easier. Let me also make sure the mats are, in fact, horizontal (hmmm?!!?). Maybe I see another glimmer of hope. I have to admit, when I bought the Wizards I was extremely enthusiastic. It was the first time I had spent that much money on one item. I still have hope, so thank you very much, I won't give up yet. Wouldn't it be fun to have BOTH the Wizard AND the Cuttlebug. Thanks ---- Sandy PS I did see your response also to my other comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimInIowaView Post
Since Spellbinders made the video shown on the site a few new tips have been introduced, a new video is in production.

If you could get out the Wizard and try one more time, I'd like to know if these tips work for you....they are simple and sometimes forgotten or not realized..

1) Make sure the Wizard handle is facing you before starting and the word "spellbinders" on the machine is upside down.

2) Stack your spacer plate, die and paper in the middle of the white mat, do not put them at the top or towards the bottom, by placing them in the middle you make insertion much easier.

3) Bring the mats to the back of the machine and place them against the two cylinders holding the back of the mats with your left hand. DO NOT lay the mats down on the back of the machine, keep them horizontal with the table.

4) Place the palm of your right hand on the cylinder and roll it away from you, this should pull the mats approx. 1/2" to 1" into the cylinders. Don't be afraid to really roll it!

5) Take the handle (that is facing towards you), making a 1/2 circular motion, bring the handle to the table at the top of the machine, stop, the mats should be inserted. Bring the handle 1/2 way back, then all the way to the table beside the top of the machine. Repeat.

6) Take your left hand and now move it to the front of the machine where the mats are exiting, hold mats to control the exit.

This should work for you!

Another tip would be to just practice inserting the mats with the embossing pad only, no paper or die.

If this still isn't working for you call Mark in Customer Serivce and he will walk you through it. 1-888-547-0400

Hope this helps!

Kim
That's what finally worked for me - I found if I got just a little inserted with this, then used the lever, it invariably caught. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I was very pleased with my Wizard until I discovered QuicKutz. I loved their dies and since the Wizard would cut any type of dies I bought a bunch of QK and I think that half of them wouldn't cut properly. Since then I tried the Revolution dies, these worked even worse in the Wizard! Even though I tried with several layers of CS in the bottom etc.
And at last I tried some Sizzlitz dies, my Wizard didn't like them either.

The plates were ruined very quickly - the white stuff just began peeling of.

So now I'm the happy owner of a Cuttlebug and this machine has cut EVERY die I've ever tried. Love it.
Just my opinion. Happy christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes