Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are your friend's amazed?

I had to laugh tonight when my friends stopped by. I made some graduation gifts for my friend and as we were talking she told her husband 'she makes all her Christmas cards too'. I thought it was kinda funny, because they thought that was such a big deal. ;)

I have another friend that told me once that she buys me special birthday cards. She said she buys me the nicer store cards 'that look like they are handmade'. She doesn't stamp so she just looks for nicer ones for me than anyone else because she thinks the cards I send her are nicer than regular cards. That was kinda flattering.

So are your friends amazed by your talent?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carebear530View Post
I had to laugh tonight when my friends stopped by. I made some graduation gifts for my friend and as we were talking she told her husband 'she makes all her Christmas cards too'. I thought it was kinda funny, because they thought that was such a big deal. ;)

I have another friend that told me once that she buys me special birthday cards. She said she buys me the nicer store cards 'that look like they are handmade'. She doesn't stamp so she just looks for nicer ones for me than anyone else because she thinks the cards I send her are nicer than regular cards. That was kinda flattering.

So are your friends amazed by your talent?
My coworkers are. I occasionally bring the stuff I make in for them to see and they're amazed. I can't wait to see their reaction to the Christmas present one of them gets on Wednesday at the party.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by deiparaView Post
My coworkers are. I occasionally bring the stuff I make in for them to see and they're amazed. I can't wait to see their reaction to the Christmas present one of them gets on Wednesday at the party.
Do tell....what did you make????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

When I post my paper crafting classes, people usually ask, "Did you make that?" Of course, Blue Collar TV comes to mind, and what I want to say is, "No, my cat did, I showed him how and he's a real copycat!" Here's your sign. tee hee hee

But I don't. I just think it's funny that they ask. I'm always a bit humbled by it though, because to me it doesn't seem like all that much to me and I'm happy they like it and get joy out of making it. I always tell them they can make it too, because if it was that hard, all my fingers would be glued together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it's kind of neat how whenever I give someone a card they always comment on how they can't believe that I actually make all my own cards and how crafty I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

The fun reactions I get are when women see my craft room. It's off the foyer so it's easy to see into. It's painted sunrise pink, has lots of cabinets and shelves, and ribbons in jars, and pictures on the walls, etc., and sometimes women come in and just look around and have this cool look on their face like, I could have some fun in here! Then I show them a few things like how many stamps I have, or how the cuttlebug folders work, and they get kind of excited, even if they don't stamp. Then the women will want to show the room to their husbands because they are all excited but their husbands usually go "Oh, uh huh". The guys never get excited. (They are probably thinking, "I hope my wife doesn't want to get into this"!!)

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm relatively new at stamping, and I don't have talent. I'm still walking the narrow line between "homemade" and "handmade". However, even if I think the card isn't fabulous, my friends appreciate the time, effort, and energy that making a card shows. And, in case someone might be too obtuse to see that, I have a stamp for the back of the card that says, "When you care enough to make it yourself."

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, my friends either ignore my hobby or make fun of it. what can I say, they are almost all lawyers...............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

My boss searches out special store-bought cards for me because she so appreciates the cards I make for her. I've even CASED some of those.

Such validation!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:06 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm in a concert choir and I made the card we all sign for the director. He asked out loud where we found a card like that, and the girl that organized the money collection for his gift told him I made it.

He said he's going to frame it.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've had several friends tell me that they have FRAMED cards that I've sent to them. One of my friends has a card that I sent her two years ago still on display in her kitchen. She said she gets a good feeling every time she looks at it because she knows I made it special just for her. It really makes me feel humble, too, to know that something I do brings so much joy to others. I feel blessed by this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Nope, my friends either ignore my hobby or make fun of it. what can I say, they are almost all lawyers...............
Well, we all know how those lawyer types can be. ;) Thankfully, you are an exception, and we, your cyber-friends, LOVE your art, Joan, so just ignore your lawyer friends and keep sharing with us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just got a christmas card in the mail from one of my husbands great uncles. He had put a letter in it talking about where they had been and what was going on in their lives. He then told me that his wife was amazed by the card that I had sent them, and wanted to know where she could buy them. He told her that they were probably bought in a big city like Chicago or New York, and that they were too expensive for them!! I am dying to send them a letter back to tell them I made them!!
My friends and family all ask me to make cards for them to give away all the time, and they all say that they never throw them away!! They never say they are impressed, but I think they are!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my co-workers saves all his Michael's coupons for me and says he'll take any card I'll give him, even if they are girlie, and all the rejects. *another grin* I do actually end up making more cards for him 'cause I love making girlie cards and I really dislike making guy cards.

But DH is my biggest fan. He keeps a lot of the cards I make for other people, so I have to make a second one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
...But DH is my biggest fan. He keeps a lot of the cards I make for other people, so I have to make a second one.
My DH did that to me when I first started making cards. I went to a card class and came home and made four or five new cards, but one I really liked that I wanted to send my mom. I showed them to my DH and told him I was going to send that particular card to my mom and he said, "No, you're not, that's mine!" and he snatched it out of my hand. I was dumbfounded! He's a bean counter and usually only gives me a hmpf when I show him stuff. (I think it's because he has three TV remotes stuck in his mouth, personally.) He took that card to work and put it on his desk and there it has sat for the last four years. I think that may be the best complement I ever received.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommiView Post
The fun reactions I get are when women see my craft room. It's off the foyer so it's easy to see into. It's painted sunrise pink, has lots of cabinets and shelves, and ribbons in jars, and pictures on the walls, etc., and sometimes women come in and just look around and have this cool look on their face like, I could have some fun in here! Then I show them a few things like how many stamps I have, or how the cuttlebug folders work, and they get kind of excited, even if they don't stamp. Then the women will want to show the room to their husbands because they are all excited but their husbands usually go "Oh, uh huh". The guys never get excited. (They are probably thinking, "I hope my wife doesn't want to get into this"!!)
LOL.....so true about the husbands!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I have one friend in particular who always comments on the things I make. So I tend to make more things for her. I also just found out through a mutual friend that a gal in my neighborhood just loved a get well card I made for her. So for Christmas, I am going to give her a little package of homemade cards for her to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carebear530View Post
LOL.....so true about the husbands!
My husband is just the opposite. He's very encouraging about my hobby and I think he is actually GLAD I finally have a hobby.

Occasionally, if I have a lot of cards to do, he will sit down and help by corner punching or something simple like that. He always tries to be helpful by coming up with ways I could be more efficient. But I tell him, "Honey, if I wanted to be efficient, I'd just BUY cards!". LOL!

Men are a trip:-P

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have one friend that is so good for my ego. Everything I show her she just fawns over! It's such a nice booster.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

when we stamp, we don't think anything of it. but to a non stamper who is buying their cards at the $1 store, receiving a handmade card is a big deal. i have a few friends who have saved every card i have ever made for them...even the very early ones, wince. I remember one time, i was giving a card to another stamper and i had all these excuses about it. blah, blah, blah...and her response was....a blind person would love to see it....that made me think. we are definately our own worst critics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

I have a friend who told me she has saved all the cards I have ever given her....I thought that was really sweet but then she told me that she has taken them to the cabin with her and shown all her relatives and friends up there my creations! WOW...I was really touched by that. I have also had a friend who has framed my cards and I get praise from folks I send my Christmas cards to...they say they look forward to my card every year and can't believe I have made them (of course now they know better).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I have a co-worker that insists on seeing every card I make before mailing them. She keeps saying I should sell them but I really don't have any interest in doing that. We exchange birthday gifts so this year I gave her a selection of different cards for her to send out. She LOVED it and said it was one of the best birthday gifts she has received... made me feel great !!

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, my friends and family are so taken with the stuff I make that it's kinda funny. Last year, I made stamped tiles for everyone for Christmas (which you all know is like *the* easiest thing to make) and I made name frames for the kids. Everyone was falling all over themselves! It was just too funny to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm very fortunate, I know several of my (stamping & non stamping) friends and relatives really treasure what I've made for them. Some have said they've kept every one I've ever sent them. Isn't that the ultimate compliment? It's great to feel appreciated. I keep the ones I receive from fellow stampers too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family won't let me actually write in the cards I send - I have to write on a slip of paper so they can reuse the card for someone else.

They say its like getting a gift along with the card....but I don't know, maybe its just a cheap way for them to get cards!! LOL....

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Most of the people around me are very encouraging. My Aunt is always buying me DP and little things to feed my addiction. She teaches classes and shows my cards to all her clients and has me making magnets for her to sell to the clients too. I gave her 60 of them and she already is asking for more. I have about 8 friends that have told me they keep every card and my DH has every card I gave him in his top drawer. My stepmom on the other hand has made references that I'm too cheap or poor to buy my christmas cards and thats why I make them. If it was'nt for my Dad (who bought me a cuttlebug for my birthday last week:mrgreen: ) that B***H would never lay eyes on another one of my cards for as long as I live. She totally does not get this hobby and how many hours sleep I lost making those cards. She is I always get compliments though from everyone else. I guess there is always gonna be that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

It funny - that happened to me this weekend in a group of people...Usually people are really impressed and encouraging, but this time...
Woman 1: "Lynne makes all her Christmas Cards!"
Woman 2: "How many do you do?"
Me: "80 or so."
Woman 2: "You're CRAZY! Why on earth do you do that?"
Lynne: "Well, it's relaxing. I like the personal touch and creative outlet..."
Woman 1: "I don't know where she finds the time!"
Notice the way she says it like I'm not there anymore...It went on and on. By the end of the conversation, I felt bad for making my own cards!

Mulling it over, I decided it was probably because they were jealous. LOL!
It's not going to stop me from my creative endeavours regardless!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a few people who really like the cards I send them ... or at least they take the time to comment! A girlfriend of mine said one of these days she'll have to come to one of my workshops ... which is a HUGE compliment from her because she's a visual artist. Must mean I'm doing something right!

My mom has always called me Martha Stewart ... I have a thing with wanting to do everything by myself ... make my own Christmas cards, plan the perfect Thanksgiving dinner, etc., etc.

And it's a great creative outlet ... I'm a musician, too, but it's nice to sit in front of the TV and be able to make cards. I can't sit in front of the TV and write a song - that's WAY too distracting! Of course there could be no TV but then I'm concerned I'll lose track of the time ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgoodView Post
It funny - that happened to me this weekend in a group of people...Usually people are really impressed and encouraging, but this time...
Woman 1: "Lynne makes all her Christmas Cards!"
Woman 2: "How many do you do?"
Me: "80 or so."
Woman 2: "You're CRAZY! Why on earth do you do that?"
Lynne: "Well, it's relaxing. I like the personal touch and creative outlet..."
Woman 1: "I don't know where she finds the time!"
Notice the way she says it like I'm not there anymore...It went on and on. By the end of the conversation, I felt bad for making my own cards!

Mulling it over, I decided it was probably because they were jealous. LOL!
It's not going to stop me from my creative endeavours regardless!
They most definitely were jealous...jealous of your talent, and also your commitment to YOURSELF to take the time to do something for YOU that relaxes you. We all have the same amount of time in life....some of us are better at focusing on what is important to us than others. You go, girl!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by showmestamperView Post
They most definitely were jealous...jealous of your talent, and also your commitment to YOURSELF to take the time to do something for YOU that relaxes you. We all have the same amount of time in life....some of us are better at focusing on what is important to us than others. You go, girl!
And not just taking the time to something for you, but something for the recipients!

A lot of my friends are amazed, I guess you'd say. Actually, I'm amazed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm at my in-laws today and I've been working on my Christmas cards all morning. My MIL keeps offering me some of her store-bought cards so that I don't have to make my own! hehe

The people in my life are either paper crafters themselves or so far removed from crafting that they probably don't realize that the things are handmade. So no, nobody really gushes.

My husband did look at a card the other day and say "you know, you're getting really good." That was the best, made my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMama1204View Post
My stepmom on the other hand has made references that I'm too cheap or poor to buy my christmas cards and thats why I make them.
Yeah because it is SOOO much cheaper to just make your own cards.... she's just jealous that she isn't creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
.....My husband did look at a card the other day and say "you know, you're getting really good." That was the best, made my day!
My dh's highest compliment? "It looks store-bought!" <sigh>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

My MIL has saved every single one of my cards that I have sent her in a scrapbook, even the really bad ones! She loves them all. My dh ALWAYS says...needs more glitter hahaha! (if you saw my cards you would realize that there is normally a LOT of glitter on them already!) But when he tests the spaghetti he has the same humor...needs sauce! What's he like! He keeps me laughing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

My mom is amazed that I do anything crafty. She is of the camp: If you can't glue it, don't do it! (heehee!) I also make quilts, hook rugs, cross stitch, and scrapbook. I agree that it is my stress reliever. Like everyone out there, I have too much on my plate. It gives me great pleasure to slow down and create something with my hands. As for those who make fun of us, well, they just don't get it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I come from a relatively artistic family so they are MUCH harder to impress but they appreciate the projects and cards I make very much.

I work in the IT industry so they are just amazed by all the tools and stuff I bring in to use at lunch (my ATG and the cuttle bug folders were huge hits.) They about died when I told them about my wishblade. All of them are getting handmade cards this year so we will see how it goes over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My brother-in-law

I posted a thread just a few weeks ago about my brother-in-law. He thinks I should open a card shop -- sell cards, teach classes, et cetera.
Another Splitcoast member replied that she wants my brother-in-law! He's very sweet so I think I'll keep him.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMama1204View Post
My stepmom on the other hand has made references that I'm too cheap or poor to buy my christmas cards and thats why I make them.
Somewhere I saw a rubber stamp that you need...
"If you think I made this card to save money, then you haven't seen the price of rubber stamps lately"
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Surprisingly my friends are always so complimentary on my "stuff"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Somewhere I saw a rubber stamp that you need...
"If you think I made this card to save money, then you haven't seen the price of rubber stamps lately"
Ha! Ha! I have a stamp that says, "I worked for hours and hours on this card. Act impressed!"
Reply With Quote Likes