Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did the SU 2 cattys a year change your buying habits?

Now that there are 2 SU big catalogs a year, has it changed your buying habits at all? Are you buying more because more things are retiring more quickly? Putting off purchases to see what's in the new catalog?

I'm just curious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I just started back in May, stamping again after 6 years of scrapbooking, I don't know what it will do - but I am curious like you about the long-term stampers and what they will do - I don't think I am going to like having such a short time to choose and purchase what I want, but a year does seem like a long time in the marketplace - ya know? Things are changing so fast, trends and interests, that it might be ok. Hope some other ladies wake up soon and contribute to this thread - good question, JOanB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought less this time around with the two catalogs. I don't really like the two retired lists I lost so many stamp sets that I am afraid to buy anything. I bought a few Christmas sets for a Christmas card stamp camp and every one of the are on the dormant list. I am a little disappointed.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Default definitely buying less

I was very disappointed in the last catalog. Not a lot of stamps were to my taste - looked too childlike. I also don't like feeling pressured to buy everything I want quickly in case they are discontinued so I end up not buying. Also, paying for two catalogues a year IMO is not a great thing. that's $20 a year just for the catalogues and that irritates me. I honestly feel that the catalogues should be less expensive -- if not free! After all, there will probably be a lot of sets carried over from one catalogue to the next since there doesn't seem to be a lot of sets that will be "dormant" in the current one. I know it is also an "idea book" but the ideas they are offering aren't all that great. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if this will make sense, but I both like and don't like the new system.

When I think of the catty as just a catty -- way don't like the two per year. The way I keep my stamping budget in line is to refuse any "impulse" spending, so I mark the sets I like and over several "passes" over several months, watch to see if I still like/love them. The two catties instead of one, and the "retired" lists coming faster seem to push any decision making faster than I like.

On the flip side:
I don't purchase anything until it hits that "I know I'll love this for a lotta years to come" button, so speeding up the process means I'm purchasing less not more. Plus, the sets aren't as appealing to me as they were a few years back, so less is catching my eye than in the past.

And when I think of the catty as an idea book, the cost is way in line with any magazine and has great card ideas, so I'm way OK with it happening twice a year instead of only once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Very interesting question..... and something I gave a lot of thought to as it factored in to my decision to resign from SU. I'm also curious to see how the "in-colors" scenario plays out, but that is a subject all of its own.

In the end I decided bi-annual catalogs are great for the customer (more new stamps/products more often) and great for those demo's who have an established customer base (more new stamps/products more often = more orders = more business) and great for the hobby demo who meets her own minimums and doesn't care about what sets are retiring.

The people it will hurt are the demos who are somewhere in the middle, those trying to establish a business, who need to use "current" products and are struggling to keep up - and I think there are a LOT of them out there. (or maybe I should say were....because although I'm not on the demo side any more, I know there were a lot of us on that fence right around the time I quit)

The company I chose to sign with also has two catalogs per year, but now that I am happily in the "buy what I want without worrying about retirement lists" category, I don't care. The lower requirements to stay a demo, allows me to love TAC and still spread a little joy among some other companies, so I am happy with my decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:19 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say my buying habits have changed a lot, though not because of the new two-catty system. I finally reached the point where I have almost everything I want out of the catty (paper, inks, punches, etc.) and am mainly interested in seeing something new. (I only ordered Fine Lace from the retiring list.) So two catties a year make me happy. But given how many stamps I have, adding something new means making sure it's not too much like something I already have, KWIM? So I'm buying less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

jeaniebean55 expressed my thoughts exactly!

I can't afford to buy everything I would like to have in 6 months, so I have to be choosy, which means I buy less than I would have previously from one cataloge.

As for style, one of my favorite things about SU is that they appeal to almost any stamper. They are still my favorite stamp company, for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:23 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Since the catty came out in July I have bought stuff each month in my stamp club to make planners for Christmas gifts. SO the first month I bought the calendar stamp and the new assorted IN colors pack. The next month it was something else I would be using and another month it was the actual Art journal books, several of them (the 100 page one). So until this past month I was buying something that would be practical and used for a gift. And I will use those items over and over (except for the Art journals), but until the last month of the stamp club I didn't get to buy anything that I wanted. The last month of our group was this past Sunday and the retired list was out so I was a little disapointed, but nothing I had to have except Merry Merry. There was a few others, but nothing worth being upset over.

I am happy with the purchases I did make and when I went through the catty again some of the sets I liked before I don't like now. So I am glad I was working on a big project and what I did get I can use for a lot of things.

For me what I buy has to be used for many things.

Oh another thing this year I cut my spending a lot even tho I got a new job and I can spend a little more I really am working on paying things off first before I can just buy frivolously. So I try to think if I like something do I have something similar or can I recreate it with what I have before I buy something for one thing I see and like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I was very disappointed in the last catalog. Not a lot of stamps were to my taste - looked too childlike. I also don't like feeling pressured to buy everything I want quickly in case they are discontinued so I end up not buying. Also, paying for two catalogues a year IMO is not a great thing. that's $20 a year just for the catalogues and that irritates me. I honestly feel that the catalogues should be less expensive -- if not free! After all, there will probably be a lot of sets carried over from one catalogue to the next since there doesn't seem to be a lot of sets that will be "dormant" in the current one. I know it is also an "idea book" but the ideas they are offering aren't all that great. Just my opinion.
If your demo is charging you for your cattys then find another demo. There are some demos out there that will give away their cattys or at least charge less for them. I never charged my customers more than $5.00 for one and usually I will give one away if they are going to place an order or if they ordered from me in the past. SU doesn't dictate to us what to do with our cattys, we can charge for them or not. We do have to pay for them but I would rather my customers spend money on stamps, not catalogs. By the way, I am not trying to get your business, I am just telling you that there are demos out there that won't charge you or will at least charge less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've bought considerably less this time than past years. Wasn't as pleased with many of them and the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I really have cut down on buying stamp sets in the past 6 months. I've bought more supplies and a few of the "older" sets. I'd rather have 1 catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine decrease drastically on the retiring list. I just cannot afford to buy stamp sets for myself that are retiring in December. I will be passing over alot of what I want. I really wish they would go backt o the 1 catty a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
Just on the issue of the cost of the catalog, if you're not using the book as an idea book because you don't like the samples, and you don't want to switch demonstrators just to save money on the catalog, you might consider just looking at the on-line catalog. It has some pretty cool features that a lot of people don't use/know about. For example, you can paste virtual sticky notes in it, circle stuff, etc. and your markings will be in there the next time you go to look. It's really quite a handy tool and it's completely free.

As for the original question, many of the stamps in this catalog were less my style than in years' past, but I still found plenty to buy from month to month and, as I look at the retired list, there are at least 2 sets on it that were just introducced in July that I did not have time to buy. I'm kind of sad about that, but excited about what's coming up in the new catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really LOVE the two cattys a year. I was so tired of looking at the same catty by February that I'd start looking elsewhere! Now, I feel like SU is staying up with the times and I'm not so tempted to shop elsewhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I don't like the 2 catalogs a year. I like just one. I have bought way less this time.

I am curious from the post above. How much do the demos have to pay for the catalogs? I have often wondered this. I get 2 each time they come out, and at 10.00 a piece, Now I'm spending 40 bucks a year on catalogs. Just curious.

grannypat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I participate in a monthly stamp club, so have continued to buy - but bought more of the papers and accessories - this catalog did not seem to hold as much appeal.
December is certainly not a very good month for a retired list to come out. IMO - to much going out in other areas. Will definately be very choosey about what I purchase from the list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oops - just realized that I didn't answer the question . . . which was has it changed my buying habits. So far, it hasn't. I've always purchased a LOT of SU products and I guess I don't see that changing! hehee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

It has changed my habits drastically... I buy MUCH LESS than I did in the past.

As a demo, I am now leary of purchasing sets just because I like them. I am more selective about the sets I purchase and the amount I spend due to the fact that I may not be able to use them in 6 months time.

And that's not a bad thing for me... I am actually starting to make money at this instead of reinvesting every penny.

On the other hand, my customers haven't seemed to slow down, just changed what they purchase. (Mainly because most of them didn't like the stamp sets in this catalog.) I run two clubs, and they have a minimum monthly purchase requirement. I do have to admit though that they seldom go over their monthly minimum right now. But again, that is more because they have said the stamp sets don't appeal to them, and not because there are two catalogs.

It's probably going to take a couple of rotations of the new system to get a real feel for if it is really the two catalog system or the sets offered before any of us know for sure how it has affected our spending.... I would tend to think based on my customer base it is the artwork, not the timeframe that was the issue this time around....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

i do not like the 2 catalog system!! i am a hobby demo mostly but i have a monthly club, so i do have to keep current sets on hand. i have spent about the same or maybe a bit more but i only bought 2 stamp sets this catalog...peaceful wishes for christmas and define your life. i have 3 level one hostess sets which i have used about twice and now they are going. i have purchased tons of embellishments and designer papers. i think i have almost every embellishment!! there are some sets i like but am holding off on buying sets because i fear they will be gone after 6 months. i will buy something i like that i plan on keeping (like roses in winter....never getting rid of that!!) i have a whole bookshelf full of retired sets that no one wants. i have tried several times to put them up for trade. now i'm dipping into the PIF forums to get rid of some of them. i will use some of the sentiment sets and maybe dig out an old set once in awhile but have resolved that i will keep most of them and trade if i see someone ISO any of them.

my customers don't really care what retires. they buy what they like because they like it...not because it's retiring and HAVE to have it. the urgency factor means nothing to them. they rarely take advantage of the specials either. they figure they spend about $30 a month and budget for that and most specials you have to spend a certain amount to get something at a reduced price. only 1 took advantage of the buy 3 get 1 free paper sale.

i'm thinking after the new year, i have to work harder at this. i spend alot of money on stampin stuff and i want to reduce the amount i'm taking out of my pocket! i have a plan to try to get some new customers but i HAVE to get off my butt and do it! i wish my regular job wasn't so demanding!! i want to plan some stamp camps as well as have my club. or maybe start another club. we'll see how catalog 2 plays out.

i sent ds an email about not liking the 2 catalog system. here is their reply, which i predicted!! of course they weren't going to tell me any of the negative comments they got!! maybe everyone that doesn't like it should send their opinions/concerns to ds. maybe they will get the hint!

Dear Anne,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns and feedback. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and have passed it on so that your comments and suggestions can be read by the appropriate departments. However, we wish to address your concerns individually.

We understand the change in the catalog program has caused concern for some demonstators. We wish to share some great ideas that we have received from other demonstrators regarding the new catalog program. Many demonstrators have shared great success stories because of the new program. Their sales have increased significantly due to the new program. One demonstrator has almost doubled her yearly workshops because each of her hostesses wants to host a workshop for each catalog. The hostess stamp sets will be retired at the end of each catalog. This is incentive for hostesses to hold more than one workshop a year. There is usually at least one hostess stamp set from each catalog that a hostess really wants.

Another demonstrator used to host a "thank you" party for her hostesses at the end of each year. Now, she gets to do it at the end of each catalog, twice a year! This is a highly coveted party and is the highlight of Stampin' Up! for many of her hostesses. The new catalog program encourages her hostesses to host a workshop for each catalog because the workshop is their ticket to the party. At this party, she provides food and treats as well as a 10 percent discount for any orders submitted that day. She also has many samples using the new stamp sets and products from the preview brochure to get her hostesses excited about hosting another workshop for the upcoming catalog.

Another demonstrator expressed to us that she loves the new "excuse" to host an extra open house each year for her customers because there is more excitement at these events than at a regular workshop. She feels that her relationships with her customers have strengthened because she has more contact with them at the middle part of the year and this increases her sales and strengthens her business.

These are just a few of the great examples we have heard from demonstrators. They have chosen to take advantage of the new catalog program and increase their sales and strengthen their relationships with their customers and hostesses. We highly encourage all demonstrators to do the same. There may be other wonderful ideas out there that we have not heard of yet that could be very beneficial to your business. You may wish to post a message on Stampin' Discuss. Many demonstrators have great ideas of how to increase their business with the new catalog program. You may access Stampin' Discuss by going to Show & Tell > Stampin' Discuss.

The Fall-Winter Collection retired list is in response to the many requests from demonstrators for Stampin' Up! to help them increase their sales during the month of December. We realize that having some of your favorites sets retire can be frustrating since you can only demonstrate sets that are current. We hope that by offering an additional 15% off (in addition to your 20% instant income) each stamp set purchased from the Spring-Summer Preview Brochure during the preorder period, will help with some of the frustration of having to buy new stamps that may only last through one catalog.

The reason for the change to Sale-A-Bration was explained in the current update on July 18, 2007. In the past, we've held Sale-A-Bration in January and February because these have traditionally been slower sales months. However, with the release of the Spring-Summer Collection this January, that won't be the case. With a brand-new catalog coming out in January, customers are sure to feel the excitement of new merchandise and make January a better sales month than ever before. Moving Sale-A-Bration back to February and March will help you keep the momentum of that new catalog going for several months, as customers will be able to buy new merchandise from both the Spring-Summer Collection and the Occasions Mini Catalog, while earning free stamp sets!

Finally, we wish to reassure you that Stampin' Up! makes changes because we believe it will benefit our demonstrators. Change is one of our eight principles. The principle states, "We believe in exercising imagination and wisdom, in taking responsible risk, and in embracing change. We set challenging goals, always striving to 'better our best.'" We understand that embracing change can be difficult and can present some hurdles in the beginning. However, we make changes based on extensive research and feedback from demonstrators and customers. We believe that taking these "responsible risks" will strengthen the business of demonstrators and help them to "better their best." Our goal is to provide the necessary programs, such as the new catalog program and tools to make it possible for demonstrators to do so. We wish you the best with this new catalog program. We also encourage you to continue to share feedback with us. We would love to hear of any ideas or programs that you implement that bring success to your business. It's always wonderful for us to pass this on to other demonstrators.

Once again, we have passed your feedback on to the appropriate departments so that they are also aware of your feelings and comments. We wish you a wonderful holiday season.

Again, thank you for your e-mail. Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions or concerns. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Sincerely,

Stampin' Up!R
Demonstrator Support
Danyel Stanley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannypatView Post
I don't like the 2 catalogs a year. I like just one. I have bought way less this time.

I am curious from the post above. How much do the demos have to pay for the catalogs? I have often wondered this. I get 2 each time they come out, and at 10.00 a piece, Now I'm spending 40 bucks a year on catalogs. Just curious.

grannypat
Demo cost is about $4.50 depending on what your tax rate is. Yes, we have to purchase these. I give most of mine out for free.

I absolutely love two catalogs a year!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:17 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Now that there are 2 SU big catalogs a year, has it changed your buying habits at all? Are you buying more because more things are retiring more quickly? Putting off purchases to see what's in the new catalog?

I'm just curious!
Definitely planning on buying 2 times as much since there will now be 2 times the fabulous, beautiful stuff to buy :mrgreen:

WooHoo!!!!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedystamperView Post
I really LOVE the two cattys a year. I was so tired of looking at the same catty by February that I'd start looking elsewhere! Now, I feel like SU is staying up with the times and I'm not so tempted to shop elsewhere!
Totally agree, I love to see fresh new ideas more frequently

Also, TAC has 2 cattys and I think that CTMH has like 3 (supplements??) or something, so this is just the way it is now in this indusrty and I am glad to see that SU! is chaning with the times, dont want anyone to be left behind;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having a hard time getting excited about buying anything from SU knowing it could retire so quickly. I'm not a demo but I like to use my stamps at shoebox swaps that require using only current sets. I've been a "supporter" of SU for over 7 years so I already have a bunch of retired sets. I don't need any more.

I used to like getting the catalogs to see the sample cards, but they have gotten a little too complicated and involved for me--using multiple sets for one card. I wouldn't mind seeing fewer sets and more (simple) sample cards.

abcima
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the 2 catalogs per year is great! I don't think it should pressure anyone to buy more or less - does anyone complain that department stores change their merchandise more than once a year?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

After reading all your posts, I now realize that I paid $10 about 4 months ago for a SU catalog that I have yet to purchase from. Now you're telling me that it is no good. I feel they should offer the 2 catalogs if they want, but allow the first one to still be active for the full 12 month period. I don't see the catalog as inspiration. Where are you all finding samples to give you ideas? I see them as just color examples of what the stamps could look like if done in color. To me that's not inspiration.

I also wish that they would offer the stamps on an individual basis also, even if they were a bit higher in price. I have over 100 stamps that were included in sets that I have absolutely no use for. Who can use some of the strange word stamps they come out with? Several aren't even in English.

Unlike a previous entry on this thread, I like seeing more advanced techinques for card making. But SU will only offer techniques using ONLY their products and not suggesting other items that can be used in conjunction with SU products.

I don't like the 2 catalogs per year. Last year I did purchase over $600 worth of items. Thus far with the new 6 month catalog, I have purchased nothing but spent $10 for the catalog which now is out of date. Also why can't we purchase items till the end of the year? I was given a cut off date of 11/27/07 for the current catalog.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVE 2 catties a year. By Jan/Feb I was struggling to find more I "needed" to buy. And with SAB and wanting the free sets, that was tough. Now with a new catty starting Jan 1, I'm excited again!

This catty is good thru Jan 1 st, I don't know who told you Nov, but they are wrong. It say right on page 1 of the catty " ORDER FROM THIS CATALOG JULY 1, 2007 - JANUARY 1, 2008" (Not shouting, just writing it how it is in the catty. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

My Demonstrator has put the cut off date that she will place orders. She takes a break from Thanksgiving till after New Years.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Question.......Why do many of you want to give up your stamps? I purchase stamps that will use for years to come. For instance if I like a stamp that's a snowman, snow flake or flower, I will purchase it. I will use that in many instances. Snowflake stamp can be used to make beautiful flower cards. I don't buy stamps for just a specific project. Forgive me if I'm a bit thick, but why do you want to get rid of stamps just because they are not offered in a new catalog?

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm buying MORE! I used to buy a lot from the minis, and then buy from the catty what I wanted and what was retiring. Now I have a bunch I want that are retiring, so I'll have to do this twice! I can't stand paying so much for retired "coveted" sets on the bay. On the flip side, I like this catty less than previous years, I know it's been said, but too many doodles and circles and flourishes. Can't wait to see what's in the new catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Question.......Why do many of you want to give up your stamps? I purchase stamps that will use for years to come. For instance if I like a stamp that's a snowman, snow flake or flower, I will purchase it. I will use that in many instances. Snowflake stamp can be used to make beautiful flower cards. I don't buy stamps for just a specific project. Forgive me if I'm a bit thick, but why do you want to get rid of stamps just because they are not offered in a new catalog?

Patti
Demonstrators, not just consumers, are responding to the OP.

If a stamp set retires, they cannot demonstrate it in their workshops, rendering it useless as a business tool/investment.

Many demonstrators cannot afford to continue reinvesting in new stamp sets every 6 months to stay "current" for business reasons.

It is therefore difficult to gauge the overall effect of having 2 catalogs, because you have two different groups and their respective spending habits/reasons responding; strictly consumer spending will differ greatly from business spending, UKWIM?

HTH,

Last edited by JulieHRR; 12-08-2007 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

possibly?
but, then Ive been buying for years.
I think this time around i bought less frequently but in larger amounts. ( not in a club this year either )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

JulieHRR.......I can certainly understand your point. If I were a Demonstrator, it seems I'd be spending all your profits if I purchased new sets every 6 months. I guess that's why I wouldn't be a Demonstrator.

The Demonstrator of the group I belong to sells her sets at some kind of percentage off of the regular price at the end of the year to get rid of them. Maybe that's why there are sooooooo many sets being sold on e-Bay all the time also.

I will tend to purchase mostly accessories from now on. I have enough stamps to find a place for now. I also use my die cutting/embossing machines for my cards in addition to the stamps.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

My Demonstrator has put the cut off date that she will place orders. She takes a break from Thanksgiving till after New Years.

Patti
Patti,

Every demonstrator is independent so each demosntrator has control over how she runs her business. Demonstratos do take vacations and since most of the time a demo is a one-woman-store when we are on vacation there isn;t someone to step in and take orders.

It sounds like your demo likes to take a longer break than most of us, but it is her business and she is entitled to do this. However, if you would like to place an order durign the time when she is taking a break you can go to the Stampin' Up! website at www.stempinup.com and click on the "find a demonstrator" box which will take you to the demonstrator locator that can help you find another demo who will be able tot ake your oder while your current demo is on a break. Or, if you already know another demosntrator you cuold go to her.

In any event, your catalog is current through the end of the year and if you so wish you can place orders from it until then, it may just have to be with another demonstrator.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

JulieHRR.......I can certainly understand your point. If I were a Demonstrator, it seems I'd be spending all your profits if I purchased new sets every 6 months. I guess that's why I wouldn't be a Demonstrator.

The Demonstrator of the group I belong to sells her sets at some kind of percentage off of the regular price at the end of the year to get rid of them. Maybe that's why there are sooooooo many sets being sold on e-Bay all the time also.

I will tend to purchase mostly accessories from now on. I have enough stamps to find a place for now. I also use my die cutting/embossing machines for my cards in addition to the stamps.

Patti
I know I'm different than most business demonstrators but I never sell my retired sets because I only buy sets I love. I do not use retired sets for my SU business, but I do use them for craft show projects or other personal stamping. So unlike many demos, the retirement list has no negative impact on me or my business. In fact, I love the retirement list, because it means that room is being made for new and exciting stamps!

As for all profits going into buying more stamps, I find that there is very little business need to have more than four or five current stamp sets. That number is more than large enough to do workshops and classes. So even if 100% of your sets retired every 6 months, the reinvestment in 4-5 new sets should only cost between $100-150, which is the equivalent of profit from 500-750 in sales. Many busienss demos sell more than that in an average month, so they have plenty of profits left over that they do not have to reinvest in stamps.

Also, many business demos find very little need to purchase stamps, since they can earn many sets with hostess benefits, by attending Stampin' Up! meetings and through various Stampin' Up! promotions. For example, I recently had a title promotion that will give me $100 in free Stampin' Up! products, which I will use to purchase several current sets from the new catalog. So if and when these sets retire, they will not have cost me a dime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Stampwithdiane.......Thanks for your response. Even though I like my Demonstrator, I do want a few accessories before the end of the year. Yes, I can also appreciate that people do need to take a break. I will go the route you suggest. I know there are other Demonstrators in my immediate area.

Thanks! Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking as a consumer, I love the 2 catalogs a year concept. I pay about $5 for the catty. I think it is a bargain. It provides endless hours of gazing, particularly in doctor's offices, car lines, etc. I enjoy looking at stuff that I don't even like that much!!!

I used to think I should get it for free but then I remember that the demo is a small businesswoman who has to pay out of pocket for it -- I don't want to pay sticker price, but I don't expect it for free either.

I still have things from the first catalog that I want and almost none of them are retiring. So, this is a win win situation for me.

Some consumers do not like to buy retiring sets because they only like to own and use what is considered the latest trend. I am not like that, but there are a few folks out there who are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

It seems that Demonstrators can choose to charge what ever they want for the catalogs distributed to customers. I pay $10 per catalog which I feel is high priced for only 6 months of use. If the new catalog also carries much of the same stuff, then it is even more over priced per catalog.

Unless I'm the oddball, I think most people order/purchase from several companies/businesses/store fronts each year. I don't purchase only from one source for my stamping needs.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

I have bought much less... knowing that what I buy might very well be retiring in just a few months. And I also let myself off the hook and only get a set that I absolutely KNOW I'll be using over and over for years to come. I can't afford everything I want in just 6 months.. so in that way I guess I like it. I've saved money! It's also fun to have brand new items sooner-- Kinda like Christmas coming twice a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimthrView Post
Diane, I am curious about the 4-5 sets for a 6 month period. I go to a monthly 10 club. While there she introduces us to 4-5 new sets each time to make our 5 projects. Each month is is a new 4-5 in an attempt to get us to fall and love and order them. If I came every month for 6 months to the same 4-5 sets there is no way I would keep paying for 10 club. I really feel very sorry for my demo. To keep things going she has to keep producing trendy things. She had a baby and for a couple of months repeated the use of some sets and her sales were really down on those nights. I almost always buy ONLY what I have actually tried. She also buys lots of punches, tools, fancy papers, etc.
I try not to repeat for my clubs as well... workshops? sure, I can repeat the set during those unless it is the same group rebooking... then I change it up. So between my two monthly clubs I try and use something new each time.... it gets costly!
Reply With Quote Likes