Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advertising Via Gallery

Perhaps not enough posters have seen JulieHRR's post about guidelines for uploading to the gallery. I know it's been discussed a lot lately but I'm bringing it anyway.

I clicked on a picture in the gallery and the only info was to this person's blog. I go to her blog and there's no "recipe" or directions for her item. Just a "you can order this from me here". What???

I know the moderators work their tales off for us, and I really appreciate that but I really wish there was a way to monitor uploads. Something along the lines of not allowing uploads that don't follow the guidelines.

OK, I think I'm done complaining now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Annie, I'm with you on this!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest reporting this to a mod. They can't catch everything and would probably appreciate having a chance to educate the poster.

by the way, if you go to my blog, you'll see I'm having a big sale on ....

NOTHING!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I suggest reporting this to a mod. They can't catch everything and would probably appreciate having a chance to educate the poster.

NOTHING!! LOL
That's funny!

I got a pm from a mod. asking me to report it. I think someone may have already done that because I can't find it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

NOTHING!! LOL
Oh Joan, you're such a "card";)! ...and in our world that's a very good thing!

I agree with the OP, quite annoying and not in the SCS spirit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with the OP - I check out the gallery and enjoy reading the whats and hows of a card ... I do not enjoy being told to check out someones blog and then to find nothing of interest.

It is increasing and it is annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Also maybe the person is new or didn't know any better? Maybe a private PM to her would help too...

Suzy

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

NOTHING!! LOL
Joan's right. The Mods only approve the actual picture. If you see something that you think is questionable please report the photo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I have found that to happen to me too.. you find a neat card and then you go to the blog only to be re-directed to an ebay site. It is a downer. It's also hard when a card doesn't list anything they used to make it.

Now my problem is when I upload I always forget who makes the DP? oops! and sometimes..in my frazzled mind... I must admit omitting things I used to actually make the card big ooops! But I always try and list all the items I used to make it... to the best of my frazzled old mind abilities. If I want to get really detailed I direct them to my blog and ramble there. I hope that is acceptable. I certainly don't want to break rules. I love this place! and would hate to be ousted!

By the way.... I am NOT having a sale at my blog.... just a ramblefest! ha ha ha!

My own GALLERIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for letting us know!

During the approval process, our volunteer Gallery Moderators scan the uploads and categories to ensure they are #1. appropriate for our site and audience, and #2. They are properly categorized.

Fan Club Members' uploads have instant approval.

With over half a million images in the gallery, and increasing by an average of 1,000 uploads daily, there are things that our volunteer Gallery Moderators will miss, despite their best efforts.

We appreciate the assist, so please do not hesitate to report any questionable/objectionable uploads to our staff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

[quote=douthit5;7918643]
Now my problem is when I upload I always forget who makes the DP? oops! and sometimes..in my frazzled mind... I must admit omitting things I used to actually make the card big ooops! But I always try and list all the items I used to make it... to the best of my frazzled old mind abilities. quote]

I'm like that too! I think it's easy to get in to whatever you're making and then forget some of the details. I unmounted my stamps a while back and now I'm finding I'm forgetting who made some of them. :(

I personally don't mind if someone forgets (or doesn't know) all of the supplies. It's that out right "I'm not telling" that irks me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I personally don't mind if someone forgets (or doesn't know) all of the supplies. It's that out right "I'm not telling" that irks me.
It's easy to forget, or not know. And I actually like being directed to a blog for in-depth info on a technique, or links to buy But I won't go to a blog if the gallery post has no info at all other than that link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
It's easy to forget, or not know. And I actually like being directed to a blog for in-depth info on a technique, or links to buy But I won't go to a blog if the gallery post has no info at all other than that link.
I don't think anybody objects to a simple, non promotional link to a blog, and SCS doesn't either.

I believe what the OP objects to:

Gallery uploads with intent to direct traffic/increase exposure/solicit sales, which is: advertising.

There's nothing wrong with advertising!!! But, SCS community galleries, as well as the general forums, are not the appropriate venue for that.

For those who would like to increase their blog or website's exposure, direct traffic to website, or solicit sales, we suggest they avail themselves of the wide variety of appropriate venues offered through SCS's Advertising program--> HERE.

We appreciate the consideration of every member that hangs out here, in maintaining the community areas of our website as precisely that: community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I also don't mind if someone forgets something... but a basic recipe is always appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

This is a good thread and I want to take this opportunity to find out if I am doing anything wrong. I recently started a blog and spend time giving a detailed description of how I make my projects. I have given that long detailed account on my gallery uploads in the past until starting my blog. Now I tell a little about the card on my upload and list my stamps, paper, etc in the description below and list my blog for more detail. I have always enjoyed sharing my techniques and helping others learn about what I do. I do not, however, want to continue listing my blog if it is not appopriate to do and will surely stop. I will say that nothing leaves me colder than seeing a gorgeous card on the gallery and having no information at all about how the person accomplished it. Feedback is surely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kittie, I'm no authority but I think what you are doing is A ok.

Oh, and Kittie's blog ROCKS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
I have given that long detailed account on my gallery uploads in the past until starting my blog. Now I tell a little about the card on my upload and list my stamps, paper, etc in the description below and list my blog for more detail.
I don't have any problem at all with that. I love to see other stampers blogs! My problem is with those who don't give any info at all and say "Go to my blog for information."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Kittie, I'm no authority on this issue, either, but I don't have a problem at all with the way you do things. Of course, I stalk, errrr, visit, your gallery and blog both every day so I see it all.

Hats off to a great job by the MODS!!!
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Kittie, what you're doing is right on the button with Julie's explanation above.

Matter of fact (for what my opinion is worth) what you are doing is absolutely perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

This is a good thread and I want to take this opportunity to find out if I am doing anything wrong. I recently started a blog and spend time giving a detailed description of how I make my projects. I have given that long detailed account on my gallery uploads in the past until starting my blog. Now I tell a little about the card on my upload and list my stamps, paper, etc in the description below and list my blog for more detail. I have always enjoyed sharing my techniques and helping others learn about what I do. I do not, however, want to continue listing my blog if it is not appopriate to do and will surely stop. I will say that nothing leaves me colder than seeing a gorgeous card on the gallery and having no information at all about how the person accomplished it. Feedback is surely appreciated.
I actually appreciate when people list their links to blogs at the end b/c I have been able to find some and subscribe to some from artists who have a style I admire. I agree w/ op though, that I would dislike if no description was left. Mwah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Not at all, Kittie!
We love your blog--I love your blog! I love that you share the details and info!

As I have said before, a simple blog link is just fine, and I think I can safely say that many, many people absolutely love having an opportunity to learn more detailed information about a project at a blog.

However, what many object to:

No info whatsoever, not even reference to basic supplies and materials, but, a blog link that leads to what is basically a sales pitch. :(

It is also frustrating when the galleries here are misused/abused for the sole purpose of directing traffic and increasing exposure to a site elsewhere, regardless if it is "commercial" in nature or not.

The problem is, their intent or motive is unclear, because the only thing they provided is a blog link or a "plea" for people to visit the blog . . . :confused:

I believe many genuinely appreciate basic recipe info, and THE OPTION to visit a direct link to the related blog entry for more deets, if they desire/have time/are so inclined. But, if not, then the basic info has been provided.

This is good netiquette, and we definitely encourage that! :grin:

Last edited by JulieHRR; 12-05-2007 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

However, what many object to:

No info whatsoever, not even reference to basic supplies and materials, but, a blog link that leads to what is basically a sales pitch. :(
That's what I was trying to say! JulieHRR always says it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Default No recipe

I came across a piece of jewelry recently and wanted to make it, but their wasn't really infor on the SCS site and on her blog site it was "I'm going to sell these through etsy." As a jewelry maker myself I obviously wanted to know what she had done. I was disappointed. I don't mind that she wants to make money, but the market is big enough for all of us. I don't have an etsy store and would not attempt to take her idea and claim it asmy own. But sadly, others might.

If I forget the type of dp I used I always say that I forgot or that I THINK it is such and such kind. I am actually happy when people want more info about something I have made, and I am glad to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

[B]
...I believe many genuinely appreciate basic recipe info, and THE OPTION to visit a direct link to the related blog entry for more deets, if they desire/have time/are so inclined. But, if not, then the basic info has been provided.

This is good netiquette, and we definitely encourage that! :grin:
Oh, man! I just had a lightbulb moment...LOL! I'm pretty new to blogging and it just never occured to me to link to a specific post. I'll be sure to do that from now on because, GEEZ, it only makes perfect sense!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry...I tend to kill any thread I post to.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnarieView Post
Sorry...I tend to kill any thread I post to.
Now, I am quite sure that is not true!

My first thought was: Yea!

I think awareness, support and contribution at any time, by any one, to positive community atmosphere, that can can only be a good thing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so computer challenged... It took me forever to figure out how to make a watermark, I still haven't figured out how to get a subscription box on my blog (although I somehow subscribed to my own blog :rolleyes: ).... and I have no idea how to make a direct link to a blog post. I only know how to link the blog itself. If you're up to the challenge of teaching me, please help. :p

BTW, as far as reporting photos in the gallery, I get worried that I'm being annoying. So sometimes I don't, sometimes I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
I'm so computer challenged... It took me forever to figure out how to make a watermark, I still haven't figured out how to get a subscription box on my blog (although I somehow subscribed to my own blog :rolleyes: ).... and I have no idea how to make a direct link to a blog post. I only know how to link the blog itself. If you're up to the challenge of teaching me, please help. :p

BTW, as far as reporting photos in the gallery, I get worried that I'm being annoying. So sometimes I don't, sometimes I do.
Jen, when you are just in viewing mode of your blog, click on the date (right next to your author name, at the bottom of a given entry). It should then just show that one entry. In the browser bar you should see the URL of that one entry, which is your "permalink". Copy that, and then you can hyperlink it in your photo description in the gallery.

If you don't know how to hyperlink, LMK. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Jen, when you are just in viewing mode of your blog, click on the date (right next to your author name, at the bottom of a given entry). It should then just show that one entry. In the browser bar you should see the URL of that one entry, which is your "permalink". Copy that, and then you can hyperlink it in your photo description in the gallery.

If you don't know how to hyperlink, LMK. ;)
I think I can do that! Thanks Julie! The only time I link my blog on a card is with my Saturday challenge, so I will try it then.
Reply With Quote Likes