Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A special thanks from the crying girl!

This is a heartfelt thank you!!! for all you wonderful stampers who responded to my "crying thread" and all those who are still PMing me. This is such a caring community and I never expected this response!

I am feeling better (yup, stopped crying!) and things are going to change with my spending after DH and I talked about it last night. It will be an interesting stamping year for 2008. I have 550 dollars for the year. I can spend that in 1 month or 1 year. When it is gone, it is gone. (I can also spend on what I sell my cards for at work).

I will be taking lots of time looking and thinking before deciding on my choices from now on. I wonder how I will do? I am already turning to stamps that I have ordered over 18 mos. ago and am now just using them. Every stamp will get inked several times before I buy another stamp or set.

It is odd, but this was a very 'freeing' feeling. I feel light and at peace. I feel happier, especially concerning the future. This will be a challenge for me, no doubt, and I hope I am up for it. Wish RAKs, here I come!

Oh......I'm praying nothing GREAT comes along in the papercraft industry. It will be just my luck. The most fantastic stamping invention ever will be rolled out in 2008....and it will cost 551.00$ :rolleyes:

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

denise, if that happens, i will send you the dollar! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #3  
Vee
Glitter Guru

DOn't forget you can have a garage sale or a stamp sale for a few more $
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with your challenge and New Year promise. I will be praying for you to succeed. I too would love and need to curb some of my spending on craft items. Sometimes I find myself buying stuff "just because". A friend of mine says that when we spend like that it is feeling a void. I do think that is so true. I think I am going to try and make myself a "craft budget" for 2008. Not sure what it will be yet but I really need to set this goal and stay with it. I just got a cricut machine, the design software, and have bought some cartridges to go with it. I want to master it and utilize the other supplies I currently have.

Maybe we should start some sort of "Budgeteer" group!

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just have to say that I read the entire other thread and my heart went out to you. What an excellent way you came up with to control yourself. I think your husband is a sweetheart and must really respect you and the struggle you're having, to actually help you in such a way. And let me tell you, it does work. When I was in high school 25 years ago my parents set me a budget on shopping for clothes -- $150 in the fall and $150 in the spring. I could spend it in one shot or spread out over months. And I learned that I didn't need every cute thing I saw. It was so freeing to say to myself, "I really like that, but it's not for me right now." It was kind of like giving myself permission to admit I really wanted something and I would buy it if I could, but I was waiting for something else. And when that something else came along, I knew it immediately. I bet you will feel the same. You'll absolutely love the things you buy on your budget because you waited for it and gave up other stuff.

I don't have a lot of stamping stuff -- mainly because I live in a small one-bedroom apartment with almost no closets, so that keeps me from buying a lot because I have nowhere to keep it. It helps a lot to make sure what I buy I really love.

Anyway, sending you virtual hugs and I know you are going to buy the cutest and most awesome stuff next year and you will use it A LOT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Denise... You've handled this in such a mature way and turned an unpleasant situation into a learning and personal growth experience. I'm very glad you're feeling so much better today after working out your plan with your husband's input. And even with all your tears and feeling sad, your wonderful sense of humor still made us laugh. (I will throw in a dollar or two in case the GREATEST stamping thing of 2008 is $552, but not a dollar over $555!)

Well done!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, even if the greatest stamping invention ever were over 550 dollars, just wait, and it will eventually go on sale!

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Denise,
If the latest and greatest thing comes along and it's $551.00 or more, I will offer up each and every 40-50% off Michael's & Joann's coupons my scissor can cut out just for YOU!!
Hugs to you girlfriend!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Oooh, you girls.....

Awww, thanks girls! .......Sweetest group of women anywhere. Even when we sometimes throw rubber around the place!!:-D

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OR other SCSers will post ways to duplicate the effects of the $551 invention without buying it!

(like using the corner rounder punch to get scallops)
(or standing on the Cuttlebug embossing folders instead of buying a Cuttlebug)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Denise, I read that whole thread, and although I didn't post on it, I know exactly what you're talking about! Although I already have a craft budget that I stick to, I find myself not buying things I actually need just so I can visit my good friends Jo & Mike

But what I was also thinking was - the rubber stamping stores better tighten their belts too, because the newest "must have" item posted on SCS is a BUDGET!!!

Hang in there! I've put myself on a self-imposed "stamping diet" from time to time and it is very liberating. Looking at something I wanted and being able to say "yes, that's cool, but I'm not buying this month" was surprisingly fun. I always set an end date when I started; when I hit the end date it was amazing how much I didn't need after all - and it was quite a shock that I didn't compensate for a month or two of no craft spending by going on a total binge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I feel your pain....I just turned in my credit card because I can't be trusted with it. Embarrasing to be an adult and not able to control my spending but like you I've decided to make a change and put myself on a budget. I was at Mike's the other night had all these things in my hand realized I didn't "need" any of them put them back and bought one thing with cash after I took out my cell phone to calculate the sale price to make sure I had enough to pay with cash! Very proud of myself. Best of luck and know that you aren't alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You go, and just remember when the latest and greatest thing comes out that folks who get it for free will post a lot with it, tempt us, some will buy it and it will sit mainly unused. See? Feel better already??

I too have a budget for next year so I will be holding off on my purchases to make sure I have money left at the end of the year!!!! Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best of Luck to you. I know you can do it. I to am going on a small monthly budget for the new year. I going doen to part-time and taking a large pay cut. I need to do it for my health. But in return I have to give up my spending habit. I will be allowed $30.00 per month. Thats it. No more every weekend trips to mikes and Joannes. I also have to give up one of my stamp classes -or both. I am in TAC and SU classes.
You will still alot of money to use through out the year. You can do it!! It's about $50.00 a month you can spend and it if you do n't spend at all one month then that will be more you can spend the next!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Standing on the cuttlebug folders??? That made me laugh and I've never even seen one in person (that I know of) but I LOVE that embossed look and secretly desire a cuttlebug but figure after the novelty wore off I would never use it. Plus I have so much unused stuff already. Would standing work, or would you have to jump up and down on it???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmdwsView Post
Standing on the cuttlebug folders??? .... Would standing work, or would you have to jump up and down on it???

I'd love to know, too! Ingenious!

I agree w/the other poster that said that if we wait a little, someone on SCS will figure out how to do it cheaper. Very clever bunch of ladies here!

H
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

That sounds like a good budget
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

You know you have not only gotten encouraged Denise, you have encouraged others. I feel like I will do better this year. I will stop buying every tool and actually buy the paper I need to make cards to sell. I will not just put something on the card this month intending to pay for it next month except next month the same thing happens. Thank you Denise.
Proud Angel #3898
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe you can make some cards and gifts to sell to help defray the costs...I have been selling cards for the holidays to coworkers and gifts too...made a bunch of reindeer food, ornaments, hot cocoa packs and sold them at a profit... I figure that money makes me feel better when I buy stuff... Just a thought... Have a great holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeView Post
DOn't forget you can have a garage sale or a stamp sale for a few more $
Our LSS does this a few times a year. Everyone rents a table for $5, then you bring in your stuff priced and ready to sell. Sellers don't need to be present at the sale, although almost everyone comes as a shopper! The profits are given to you as a store gift card. It would be a great way to buy paper, embellies, etc. even if they don't sell stamps. (Mine doesn't)

BTW, SU stuff goes really fast at these things!

H
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #21  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
OR other SCSers will post ways to duplicate the effects of the $551 invention without buying it!

(like using the corner rounder punch to get scallops)
(or standing on the Cuttlebug embossing folders instead of buying a Cuttlebug)
I've seen on here you can use a rolling pin with the CB folders, but to spritz paper first with water to make it more pliable, plyable...don't know how to spell that!! ;)

MY DH got me the CB for Christmas for 1/2 off !

I too am on a spending freeze, We just moved and I'm staying home now...it's so easy to order online!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't read your last post but I understand how hard a budget can be and admitted to spouse how much money is actually in your craft room - darn insurance questions!

I have been on a craft budget for years. We have joint checking and then our own individual accounts for "our" money which is funded monthly with our allowance. That is all I get to spend. It really does make you step back and ask yourself "Will I use this."

Good luck! I promise you will be just fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I'm so glad you're feeling better! You have a great hubby to be so understanding. I'm lucky as well... my fiance is very patient with my spending. And when he has a little extra he gives it to me and tells me to go to AC Moore or Michael's to get myself a "little something".

It's so nice knowing I won't be alone in my quest to conquer my out of control spending this year. I've pulled out so many stamps that have never seen ink and now I'm wondering what I was waiting for. I have so many great stamps!

Denise, the day something comes out in the stamping world that costs $551. is the day I quit stamping! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Good luck to you, Denise. Keep us posted on how you are doing. If you need shoulders to cry on, we're here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #25  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

oh what a wonderful solution you have created!! I am so glad you are feeling better, sounds like a great plan and I look know you will be using your *stuff* and creating such beautiful work. ((((HUGS)))), Nancyruth
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

You're right to dive into the Wish-RAK forum for stamps you want but don't want to buy right now. I've gotten TONS of images through all of the wonderful ladies here - it's an awesome forum and plus, you'll love getting all that 'happy mail' too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Sending you the best of luck with your budget. You know, there is that entire thread that's umpteen pages long with $$$$-saving tips for alternate ways to do things. It's a great resource for helpful ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes