Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about becoming a demo- questions

Hi, I'm debating about becoming a demo. I'm leaning towards SU, but really like all 3 companies (SU, CTMH, TAC) and am debating on which one to go with. I have a few questions(any answers from demos from any company would be appreciated):

1. I want to primarily be a hobby demo, if a few friends order then great, but I'm not into pushing my stuff (never been a great salesperson). For those of you who are hobby demos, how hard is it to make your quotas? Did you find yourself just buying things you really didn't need or want just to make your quota?

2. I'm an unmounted girl, I'm really bad at lining up wood-mounted stamps so most of my stamps are unmounted. If I were to go with SU, could I continue with that or would I have to keep some mounted. I do plan on just doing this for myself, but if I do have an event for a friend or something, would all my stamps I use have to be wood-mounted?

Thanks in advance! Any advice is appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I'm a Stampin' Up! demo, and I signed up last August. It was a great time to sign up, because I received a whole color family of stamp pads. You could say I'm pretty much a hobby demo. I mainly give out my discount or work out some deal...do free shipping and/or tax...and I have a group of friends that like to order from me. When I do workshops, I'll usually give a special perk or a drawing for something free if they spend $50, but not too much, because I want to make $$ to cover the cost of actually having the workshop.

It wasn't hard for me at all. My first order I was able to keep 30% of my earnings, and my workshop totaled at $1,000. What made that first workshop even better was I got a volume rebate of 10% back the next month...so I made $400. I also met my Stampin' Start where I receive 2 free stamp sets.

My hobby is pretty much paying for itself which is nice.

As for your second question...if you're not holding workshops, I don't see a problem with that. But Stampin' Up! is known for it's woodmounted stamp sets. If you do have someone host a party, you're going to want to demonstrate that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Just wanted to add...I love the perks that I get with SU! The publications, the advance notices, and so on.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me! I'll try my best to help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like MaiTi, I signed up this fall when SU had the sign-up special. I am a hobby demo - I work full-time, I am not a sales person, and I really don't like to do workshops. What I have started is a stamping club - I provide the stamps and 5 stamp projects on a monthly basis for a set fee; members do have to bring their own adhesive and scissors. Most of the members order at some point, but I really don't need to rely on their orders to make minimums.
I am an unmounted convert as well. However, when you demo SU stamps, you have to demo them wood mounted (even for club use). My compromise when I became a demo was to unmount only retired sets (I had to remount 3 sets, not too bad), and non-SU stamps (yes, Virginia, there are non-SU stamps!) so storage is not too much of an issue. HTH's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have been a Stampin Up demo for almost 4 years. I joined because I was spending so much money, I knew I could make my own minimums. I never planned on being anything but a hobby demo, but... I have workshops and host monthly classes. I have friends that love coming to my classes. Most of my customers are very experienced stampers so they have almost everything. I have never had a problem making my minimums and have sold more than I ever thought I would.

I have customers who buy SU stamps but don't mount them on wood. They prefer rubber stamps on acrylic blocks (for storing reasons). My customers like that I don't preach that there's only 1 way to do things. If you want unmounted then go for it.

Also since you are thinking about being a hobby demo, pick the company in which you like their products the best. If you are your best customer- make sure you are making yourself happy. What do you use your stamps for? What paper and ink do you use? Do you scrapbook? What patterened paper do you use. Now - no one company is going to have everything you want just make sure you don't sign with 1 company and find yourself "needing" alot of another company's product.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoffee96View Post
Hi, I'm debating about becoming a demo. I'm leaning towards SU, but really like all 3 companies (SU, CTMH, TAC) and am debating on which one to go with. I have a few questions(any answers from demos from any company would be appreciated):

1. I want to primarily be a hobby demo, if a few friends order then great, but I'm not into pushing my stuff (never been a great salesperson). For those of you who are hobby demos, how hard is it to make your quotas? Did you find yourself just buying things you really didn't need or want just to make your quota?

2. I'm an unmounted girl, I'm really bad at lining up wood-mounted stamps so most of my stamps are unmounted. If I were to go with SU, could I continue with that or would I have to keep some mounted. I do plan on just doing this for myself, but if I do have an event for a friend or something, would all my stamps I use have to be wood-mounted?

Don't know if anyone has answered your question about being a TAC demo.

The Angel Company sells unmounted Rubber Stamps.
As a Demo you would earn 25% commission on Retail sales: (like Workshop, Customer direct orders, catalog parties)
TAC sends out a commission check twice a month.

If you have downlines and maintain $300.oo or more each month you will earn 2% off your downlines.

Demo's get a 30% discount on their personal orders.

Our minimums are $100.00 every 4 months to stay active. If you become inactive just place a Retail order.

Starter kits are $150 plus shipping & sales tax

You can be a Hobby Demo or a Business Demo... It's your choice.

I've been with TAC since 2004 and I love it! I haven't had a hard time selling our products.

If you want information contact one of us TAC demo's and we would be happy to send you some.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have to tell you this is my 2nd time to do SU the first time I was active for 2 1/2 yrs then singed back up as soon as i could after dropping---i did lots of parties the first time but slowly ran out of new leads(people just did not have the extra $ to spend) and where i live most people do not have lots of extra $ to spend so they would get ideas from me and buy things elsewhere to save $ it has been very hard for me to sell and stay active with SU the minimums are kinda high b/c i do not have $100 a month myself to spend so if noone orders i have to try to make up the difference and that happens alot --i know some people have wonderful luck with it but i have not and this time it has been mostly hobby for me and again it is just not working--(i do not think it is me b/c i sell MK like crazy and i am not a make up person but a huge craft person that is what people know me foe my crafts) yet i can not sell enough of it --i think it is SU cost they do have wonderful stuff and their stamps are great prices but it depends on you and the people around you how much do you spend on this stuff --know what i mean--i am currently looking at TAC b/c of their mins---i wish you luck and hope you make the choice that is best for you but i thought i would share my experience with it so far--
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default One more question

Amberfite, thanks so much, I need to see the reality of that. Since I don't want to push parties and stuff I could feasibly be just selling only to me and I need to see how easy/hard that is. I appreciate your input.

Thanks so much for everyone's input, I really appreciate it! I do have one more question, do you think SU will ever go to online ordering like the other two companies? I was thinking online ordering might be an advantage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

it is best if you find a local demo who you feel comfortable with - or even if it is not a local demo someone who you feel comfortable with...

For ANYONE who is considering becoming a demo for any company - you should always sit down with a demo and ask all the particulars...a good demo will lay everything out on the line for you so that you have ALL the information and can make an informed decision as to weather or not it is the right thing for you to do.

I know some people may be turned off because there are some "strong" people out there who are more interested in just having people sign up rather than making sure they have all the information and are making an informed decision.

The last person I signed up I spent about an hour and a half with her walking her through all aspects of being a demo - requirements, policies, etc...

Also if it is something you are interested in (doesn't matter the company) and want to know exactly HOW a company works - ask to see their demo/consultant manual before signing up...that spells out everything little thing you would need to know as far as requirements and policies...any demo/consultant that won't let you see it - find another demo/consultant...

for SU the Starter kit costs ~$200 and you do need that in order to become a demo - but it does contain well over $300 in Stampin Up products (that amount doesn't include the value of the business products - catalogs, forms and other business items which + another $80 or so). Of which you get to choose the stamp sets (= or lesser value), wheel, ink and paper colors...

Everything you need to show our products are included in the kit...you DON"T need to purchase anything else in order to show off our products...

Furthermore you don't need to purchase anything else period...true if you don't sell/purchase $300 in a quarter’s time you do go inactive and can be dropped. But even then you aren't "out" anything - you still have over $300 in products that you only spent $200 on...Furthermore it only counts for your first FULL quarter - so for SU - if you sign up say the beginning of January - you would have until the end of June to meet your first quota of $300. (whereas say you sign up in December a new quarter begins Jan 1st so you would have to meet your $300 quota by the end of March - but with Sale-a-bration that isn't so hard to do)

as far as buying on your own - only you can decide if you can afford it...I have a small group of friends that keep me in the business so I don't actively do workshops and such...for me I could easily spend $100/month on SU stuff on my own (but I reign myself in)

as far as UM that is up to you - I know some demos who will mount a few sets and if they do a workshop - those are the sets they use to show Su products...or they mount them and then when the sets retire they UM them..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I signed up five years ago and my long distance upline quit shortly after I signed up. I do not believe that you need to actually sit down face to face with a potential upline to be successful.

I have earned the Panama Canal and Bermuda cruises on sales alone and am going to Hawaii as well.

I have never had upline support (not saying it would not be nice to bounce ideas off one, I just never had that option), I am a member of SUDSOL and SCS and have learned most of what I know from both of these resources.

I am VERY passionate about Stampin' Up!, it is the the most AWESOME company I have ever been associated with. Shelli truly cares about the company, her employees and all her demonstrators. I am NOT a salesperson, I demonstrate the hobby I love and my enthusiasm shows and is contagious. If you are not passionate about the products you sell, you WILL NOT have much success, (just my opinion of course):p

I do not feel the quarterly minimums are high at all. If you have to buy it all yourself, it is only $80 a month out of your pocket and I would bet most of us spend at least that much on this hobby per month.

All in all, it boils down to what you love, I love Stampin' Up! stamps, their card stock is exclusive and cannot be purchased at your LSS, the inks, cardstock, ribbons, eyelets, Simply Scrappin' Kits, Designer Papers, eyelets, brads all match and for me that is what matters most.

If I signed up to be a TAC demo, I would not do very well as I am NOT passionate about their product line.

Go with the company that sells what you love and you cannot go wrong.

Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Default Me too!

I am thinking about becoming a SU Demo also and just wanted to say thanks for all the great info.

I keep hearing people mention the Stampin Start Program. I think you can earn free stamps through it as a new demo. Can anyone explain it a little more in detail?

Congrats on the cruises! How did you manage that? Is that a reward for demos with high sales?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I've been a demo for all three (SU, CTMH, and currently TAC). TAC's minimum is easy for hobby demos to make. There's no pressure at all. Who can't spend $100 every four months?

What sets TAC apart from the others for me is the actual demos themselves. I've never seen so many helpful,welcoming, and happy people in one place. I can't really even describe it.

CTMH was pretty good, though I was a demo during a growth period (I think). There were a lot of hiccups and snags with shipping and products but I never had a hard time meeting the minimum. I was the only CTMH demo in the area so that really helped and I did a party a month. I left them to join TAC because I liked TAC's stamps (and prices) better. I didn't join TAC at the time though because I really love SU's exclusive papers and coordinating inks. I joined SU instead.

Fast forward to September when I left SU for TAC over the price increase. I don't mount my stamps so it seemed insane to me that I was paying for wood I'd never use at higher prices. With so many demos around I had to make my own minimums, even with passing my discount on to friends. It just wasn't working out for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way bashing SU. They have great products! I also still love some CTMH products and I continue to order from both companies. For me though TAC has everything I want; great products, great prices, low minimums, and wonderful people.

Good luck on your decision, it's a tough one to make with so many options available. I hope you find the perfect fit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stazc8164View Post
I am thinking about becoming a SU Demo also and just wanted to say thanks for all the great info.

I keep hearing people mention the Stampin Start Program. I think you can earn free stamps through it as a new demo. Can anyone explain it a little more in detail?

Congrats on the cruises! How did you manage that? Is that a reward for demos with high sales?

Thanks again!
Stampin' Start is a program where you sell x amount you get x amount.

For instance, I sold $1800 in product my first 3 months, so I get to receive 2 free stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I'm a CTMH demo and the kit is $150 and in Januaury you would get a free Serindipity paper pack with a stamp set and a free Alpha Solo stamp set of your choice along with your kit. The minimums are $300 per quarter with a 22% discount or $100 per year for Jr consultant with a 10% discount. CTMH consultants get to see and order new product a month before customers, we just go to see and order the new stuff for Januaury ysterday 12/1 and I can't wait to get all my new goodies in
The demonstrator support is awesome and there is message boards for demonstrators to chat with other demonstrators and the support and ideas there is awesome!
Also each month is a constamt campaign, right now there is something for customers and incinitives for demonstrators.
CTMH has some bulk items for demonstrators to purchase to use for workshops.
Catalogs you can purchase on an auto ship plan as well as the stamp of the months.
There is also a Straight To The Top program fo rnew demos where you can CTMH product credit and a rewards point system for all demonstrators where you can earn product credit, Visa gift cards and other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Is the Serendipity pack new? I looked for it in my current catalog and can't find it.

Two quick questions about CTMH, would my kit purchase count towards my quota and if I sign up in the middle of a quarter do I have to meet the quota for that quarter or the first full one that I'm a demo.

Thanks so much for all the information, your input is a huge help! I really love all three companies so this is really helping me narrow it down since I obviously can't demo for all 3. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, the Serendipity is new. We just found out that it will be our special for the month of Jan.

Your kit purchase would not count towards your quota.

If you sign up in the middle of a quarter you wouldn't have to meet your quotas that quarter.

HTH
Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been a Stampin Up demo since May and I love it. I can easily make our minimum with just one workshop every three months, and the extra money I earn from selling helps me pay for my stamping addiction I love our products, they sell themselves.and we get lots of goodies from stamping up. All demos just got a free stamp set from the new catalog. It's an awesome stamp set! I've always found everyone to be helpful and understanding at SU.

One note on uplines. Decide the level of support you want, and then find a demo who is willing to supply it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

based on your post, I wouldn't go with SU. You sound like you prefer unmounted, and I think of the three SU has the highest minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Talking Hey, that's me!

Quote:

MCoffee96:
I am exactly what you are describing! I have been a hobby demo for the last three years. While I do sell some to others, most of my quota is met by my own "needs." I have pretty much stopped shopping at the local craft stores and just by via catalog. I figure what I was spending at the stores was a whole lot more than what I spend now! For the few people who purchase from me I am mostly providing a source for the product and not having to sell it.

As for going unmounted, that is all I have ever done. It has not stopped me at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post

One note on uplines. Decide the level of support you want, and then find a demo who is willing to supply it.
This makes me wonder. I don't think my current demo would be the best one to sign up under. She doesn't seem to have a lot of time/motivation recently. She has five kids too so shes very busy. I'm wrestling with signing up under her or under someone else. I feel like i'm being disloyal not signing with her...

Thanks for all the great info! I had the chance to look at the First Impressions DVD that tells more about what being a SU Demo entails and I definately think it's something I want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

You guys have been so helpful! I'm still waffling back and forth. I am leaning towards CTMH at the moment. I love SU but there is at least one demo at both work and church, a good friend is a TAC demo and the ones I know I could sell to already buy from her so I'd rather her get the sales. Your input has been so helpful. Please feel free to add more if you'd like, I found I'm not the only one having this dilemma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

mcoffee96 - I've been a SU! demo for a little over 3 years. I will first start off by saying that I love their products and hope I can continue being a demo to get the discount. The reality is, unless you have customers that buy, you will end up having to pay the quarterly minimum of $300. This is a very difficult time for many people and there is just not a lot of discretionary cash left over for crafts anymore. I have a small customer base and next year I'm picking up a person who is resigning from SU! and will hopefully pick up her customers as well.

It is a tough decision so seriously consider the minimums between the companies that interest you. Would you rather pay $100 a quarter or $300 a quarter if you don't get a customer base?

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmoView Post
based on your post, I wouldn't go with SU. You sound like you prefer unmounted, and I think of the three SU has the highest minimums.

As far as minimums it really is all relative....CTMH and SU have the same minimums...unless you go the Jr. consultant route where you only get a 10% discount...

Unless they have changed things (please chime in TAC reps) for TAC if you buy things for yourself you get a bigger discount but those purchases don't count towards your minimums...

There are other things to take into account...especially if you are looking at become a demo with the idea that you will have customers that will be buying from you...as far as SU goes - in addition to the 20% instant income you also have the chance to earn additional money and products during the month...in addition to special programs and incentives they might have for their demos

Ultimately you have to decide what is going to be best for you...

At this point the best thing to do would be to contact a demo from each company and sit down twith them and go over everything...then come Jan take a look at each ones catalog...and I would go with the one you love the best...because ultimately you are going to buy what you love right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
As far as minimums it really is all relative....CTMH and SU have the same minimums...unless you go the Jr. consultant route where you only get a 10% discount...

Unless they have changed things (please chime in TAC reps) for TAC if you buy things for yourself you get a bigger discount but those purchases don't count towards your minimums...

There are other things to take into account...especially if you are looking at become a demo with the idea that you will have customers that will be buying from you...as far as SU goes - in addition to the 20% instant income you also have the chance to earn additional money and products during the month...in addition to special programs and incentives they might have for their demos

Ultimately you have to decide what is going to be best for you...

At this point the best thing to do would be to contact a demo from each company and sit down twith them and go over everything...then come Jan take a look at each ones catalog...and I would go with the one you love the best...because ultimately you are going to buy what you love right?

Yes you are right about the Personal Discount that We TAC reps get on our personal orders. It's 30% and it does not count toward our minimums.

But if you wanted to place an order for yourself you could get back 25% in a commission check, This will go toward your minimums and also toward your carreer points as well.

The Angel Company runs specials for TAC reps to earn trips, and other cool prizes.

How The Angel Company works with TAC reps. You need to sell $100.00 every 4 months in Retail. (workshops, Catalog sales, and Customer Direct sales)

And you earn 25% commission on your retail sales. It's not instant income.

TAC sends you a Check to you. and if you have sale all month you will get two checks that month.

When you do a retail order you will send in the full amont of money to TAC and they will send the commission back to you in a Check.

Have anymore questions feel free to contact one of us TAC reps anytime.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

You guys have been so helpful! I'm still waffling back and forth. I am leaning towards CTMH at the moment. I love SU but there is at least one demo at both work and church, a good friend is a TAC demo and the ones I know I could sell to already buy from her so I'd rather her get the sales. Your input has been so helpful. Please feel free to add more if you'd like, I found I'm not the only one having this dilemma!
Think about what you've made over that past 6 months. Whose product talks to you the most??? Love of product is the single most important thing as that excitement will get you through the inevitable second guessing that you will do!

I was an SU demo and probably will re join soon, but the same things that annoyed me about that company still exist! However, I think I am better able to ignore them and take from the company what I like and ignore the rest. There is not a company out there that is perfect and each has plusses and minuses.

All things being equal, if you are into scrapbooking more than cardmaking or know folks who are and who might buy scrapbooking materials from you, I recommend CTMH. They have some really nice kits and great albums. Cardmaking is more of an SU thing. The difference between TAC and SU is really all about personal preference on style of stamps and the design of the stamps. No one can make that decision for you.

If you remain on the fence, wait. It is a substantial investment in money, time and energy and all three companies will be there tomorrow! I suggest interviewing in person potential uplines from each company. These folks will be making money off of your sales so you want to have a good rapport with them.

Best wishes, BTW, I'm in Annandale so I'm not too far from you!:-D :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

It sounds like making your minimum would be a lot easier with CTMH. Maybe you could get the TAC and SU demos to do some discount sharing. You know, you give them a deal, they give you a deal. Just something to think about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Then don't sign up under her. You don't owe her anything. That may sound harsh, but if she can't offer the level of support you need then shop around. Ask possible demos what they do to support their downline. Do they have meetings with their downline? Do they offer classes for them? Are they open with their time so you can call/email them when they have questions? Or, if you want to be left alone are they willing to let you try it alone or will they be bugging you every two seconds. I know their are some demos that even offer internet boards just for their demos. This can help especially is you choose to sign with a long distance demo. Best of luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stazc8164View Post
This makes me wonder. I don't think my current demo would be the best one to sign up under. She doesn't seem to have a lot of time/motivation recently. She has five kids too so shes very busy. I'm wrestling with signing up under her or under someone else. I feel like i'm being disloyal not signing with her...

Thanks for all the great info! I had the chance to look at the First Impressions DVD that tells more about what being a SU Demo entails and I definately think it's something I want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I signed up with SU! in August, I should have done it a looong time ago though. I have spent so much money with them that the discount would have come in handy all these years.

I am a hobby demo, I have no interest in doing stamp camps or classes. If someone wants to place an order then that's fine, but I definately dont sell to anybody.

I have been so thrilled with my demo-ship since I started, the discount on your first order is 30% off and there is a brand new catalog coming out.....great time to get 30% off. Plus I've received a FREE set, the preview before others, the abilitiy to ORDER from the preview before others. That all is awesome to me, I LOVE sneak peeks!

There are many ladies here who unmount their SU! sets. You can find lots of threads, or just post and ask questions the best way to do it. You can definately go unmounted, so dont let the fact that they come with wood be your deciding factor.

Personally, I have never used TAC or CTMH. The images of TAC do not interest me, it's not my taste. I have looked at CTMH but I have never bought because they reccomend putting a cushion under your work surface to stamp. I have always been taught that if a stamp is of good quality then you dont need the cushion. (that is not to say CTMH is not good quality, it's only what I've heard over and over) I do use Papertrey and My favorite Things clear stamps, which I think are awesome and do not require the cushion.

I feel like even if you did sign up under CTMH or TAC then you would still be order from SU! for your CS and inks, so many others still do that.

Oh, and it is NOT hard at all to make your minimums as a hobby demo. I absolutely do not order things I dont want, are you kidding? LOL!!! I mean reinkers, CS, ribbon, stamps....there is ALWAYS something to order. Especially with the supplemental catalogs and now the brand new catalog.

Have I mentioned the brand new catalog?!?!

Sorry....I just love new stuff and Im ready for the Spring and Summer images. I just put my order in for the preview brochure and cant wait to get my pretty new paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I just signed up to be a demo a few weeks ago and the only thing I'm really stressed about - which I guess is kind of a HUGE thing - is finding people to buy product off of me. I started doing Stampin' Up with a girl who already had someone she bought from, but it's very out of the way for me to go to workshops with her.

BUT, I live very close to a town that has NO Stampin' Up demos, so I figure that could work to my advantage, but then how do I rake in clientel? I'm thinking of having an open house in January, but I just find it hard to find people who would want to buy product. Personally, I love the Stampin' Up product and would have NO problem spending $450 each quarter, but my fiance would lose it!

My SIL does Creative Memories and the rest of my family just isn't in the same creative mind that I'm in.

How did all of you find people to do workshops for, who would also buy product on a regular basis?

K

PS - BTW, I'm NEW to the boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristilynView Post
I just signed up to be a demo a few weeks ago and the only thing I'm really stressed about - which I guess is kind of a HUGE thing - is finding people to buy product off of me. I started doing Stampin' Up with a girl who already had someone she bought from, but it's very out of the way for me to go to workshops with her.

BUT, I live very close to a town that has NO Stampin' Up demos, so I figure that could work to my advantage, but then how do I rake in clientel? I'm thinking of having an open house in January, but I just find it hard to find people who would want to buy product. Personally, I love the Stampin' Up product and would have NO problem spending $450 each quarter, but my fiance would lose it!

My SIL does Creative Memories and the rest of my family just isn't in the same creative mind that I'm in.

How did all of you find people to do workshops for, who would also buy product on a regular basis?

K

The SU! minimum is only $300 a quarter, so that's good news for you AND your fiance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Not if you're in Canada! Or am I crazy??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Not if you're in Canada! Or am I crazy??

Ok, sorry, didnt notice where you were from.:oops:

But the OP is in Virginia so I didnt want her to worry that her minimum was higher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I would love to sign up. If not for anything else than just to save money. Actually it is something that I've always wanted to do. But I just don't have the "gumption" to get out there and sell. There are a lot of CTMH consultants in this town so I've been told ~ but no SU! gals (and that's where my heart is).

Good luck in whatever you do! I'm sure if there is anything you need to know, this is the place... Everyone is so helpful!

Hugs,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

K

Just wanted to say that I used to use Creative Memories exclusively for scrapbook stuff until I saw SU's paper. If your SIL loves Creative Memories my guess is that she will eat up the matching paper and ink. You will need to have all the info from the demo guide on what is scrapbook safe, because CM engrains the idea of photo safety in their customers. I left CM because their paper is soooooo thin and not very pretty anymore. I'd show her the designer series paper and scrapbook kits, and also show her how stamps can help her from having to buy tons of stickers over and over again.

I started with friends and family that I knew were into crafts. Basically anyone who scrapbooked were on my list, and I'm now starting to spread out from there (because of parties they have had).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the idea! I bought a lot of CM stuff a while back and was fooling around with ideas on my wedding invitations and the paper is so not good ... I ended up using SU paper for my ideas, because even if I'm wasting it on a bad idea, I get a quality picture of what it'll look like. Even the best idea can be ruined by bad paper!

I'll have to send her a link to the paper pages ... I'm so loving the Ginger Blossom paper in the new catalogue ...

I live in a small subdivision of acreages and I'm hoping that an open house will draw people in. I figure that I could pick a generic Thank You or Birthday card that I'd use again in case I prepare a make-and-take for too many people. My upline is great, too ... she said she'd gladly come out and help me with an open house.

I'm just so nervous about finding people! I'm not a salesperson and I love that SU demos aren't pushy when it comes to selling. That made me want to buy! Ha ha ...

And yes, I'm a Canadian! Yeah!

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

For anyone who is thinking about becoming an SU demo, I would recommend reading the follwing thread: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Ignore all of the references to the free ink pads special, since those no longer apply, but there is a lot of great information there about choosing an upline and finding customers once you sign up, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

But do you think SU will ever start online ordering of any sort? I know around me that is a huge convenience and one I know I love. I just think that would help with making minimums if friends had my site bookmarked and could just order whenever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

I have been a SU demo for 4 years and LOVE it, LOVE the products, & LOVE the company! That said, you do need to look at all the pros & cons of the various companies that you are considering.

As for getting customers for whichever company you would choose to go with, make a list of everyone you know. You'll be surprised at how big that list will be. Then, when you get started YOU can be your own hostess, earn free stamp sets & merchandise, and meet your monthly quota all at once. That's how I got started. My own workshops/stamping parties led to others scheduling their own parties and thus my customer base grew.

Now I hold monthly stamp clubs, scrapbook clubs, classes and regular stamping parties. If you decide to go with Stampin' Up!, you will receive monthly publications to help you with your business, a great website, and if you choose your upline (the person you sign up under) wisely, great support from her.

As for the question about online ordering, that question was asked to one of the SU staff members at Convention this year when he was explaining the new demonstrator website that they hope to have up & running soon. He smiled & said that while he couldn't say when it would happen, online ordering was being considered. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

But do you think SU will ever start online ordering of any sort? I know around me that is a huge convenience and one I know I love. I just think that would help with making minimums if friends had my site bookmarked and could just order whenever.
Maybe your circle of friends is different than mine but when I had online ordering through CTMH it was a big waste of money. My customers preferred ordering from me. I had it for six months and had one order.

I never understood it myself. I'm a huge fan of skipping the middle man. Several of my customers didn't like ordering over the Internet for fear of credit card fraud and others said it was easier to just order from me. :confused:

Perhaps other demos have had different experiences?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Coming from a demo I personally hope not...to me that cuts out the whole purpose of being a DEMONSTRATOR for a company...what is the purpose of even having demos or consultants if someone can just order directly on-line...

It is all very well and nice for the experienced stamper but not so much for the newer one...

Furthermore with on-line ordering it limits demos abilities to provide personal specials and services...I know my friends who are part of home based businesses that have an on-line ordering portion have found that it isn't all that it is cracked up to be in most cases...the cost of maintaining a website with the on-line ordering portion in many cases cost them more than they were getting back...so a lot of them stopped offering it...

Many demos of all companies are willing to take an "On-line" order...I do it all the time for some of my customers that have moved out of state or just want to place a personal order - my customers will e-mail me what they want - I verify the order with them, send a paypal invoice - once the invoice is paid I place the order for them and once I get a shipping notice I send them the information...easy peasy...My Tastefully Simple rep does that same for me..I send her my order via e-mail - she places the order and sends me an invoice for payment
Reply With Quote Likes