Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just finished crying my eyes out!

Oh boy. What a wakeup call I got this morning. My DH added up all our Mastercard statements with my on-line purchases for the last 18 months. I am too embarassed to even tell you the amount. Let's just say, it was enough to make me cry for hours. I was shocked and sad. And I could not believe how kind and understanding my DH was. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I would have tore his head off.

And that's not the worst thing. All my SU! orders are done by cheque and he does not do the chequeing. He has no idea of my SU! spending.

I have cut back alot on-line. My Mastercard was the lowest it has been in 2 years. I actually have some savings in my bank acct. and I am making regular payments on my new vehicle.

From now on, I told him, he must look at the bank statements and the returned cheques. This way, I will get "caught" if I order too much from SU!. This will help keep me in line. I also told him to check every Visa and Mastercard statement to see what I am spending. Again, knowing he is looking, I will be very careful and think hard about what to buy.

I feel like an addict who has been outed. It is humiliating. Embarassing. I feel stupid and also feel so low, because I know this is his money too. The only thing that gives me a bit of solace is that I sacrifed to buy stuff for this hobby. No new dining room table that I have always wanted. I can't rememer the last time I bought new clothes or shoes, simply because I knew my stamp spending was taking the place of these other purchases.

I know what you are all going to say. You can't have fun with a dining room table (well....I could roll around on it! :rolleyes: .) But this is something I have always wanted to have in my home. I love this hobby, but it is just that.....a hobby, where I make a lovely card if I need one for a birthday, etc.

Yes, it is peaceful and creative and I don't want to give it up and I won't. I've plans in place to keep the spending under control now.

I looked at the SU! catty and the way they set it up is so enticing. And the in-colors. Don't get me started. For a person who loves them each year, it is hard for me to say goodbye to them. I should not have bought last year's because, I have not used them this year. Vintage Violet once and C. Caribbean once each!

I have used this year's in-colors ALOT, so I know these will be a good thing for me to buy a few pack of. But I would not have known this ahead of time, so I may have to stop with this cardstock. So tricky of SU! I think it is rotten of them, actually. It's the only think about SU! that I don't like. Because I know it is a money grab, plain and simple. And it works. Look how many of us stock up. And if you want an ink-pad, you are forced to buy a whole ink pad, not an ink-spot. If I used the in-color cardstock all the time, even years later, it would be ok. But I don't know if I am going to do that, seeing as I can't read the future!;)

Sorry for such a long thread. I am just so upset with myself. I had to "get it all out" and I knew you girls would understand where I am coming from. For those that have money to burn, I realize this may be a non-issue.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"

Last edited by denidill; 12-03-2007 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: sentence structure
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I feel your pain - we do all our banking together which definately helps me keep myself in check, but it sure isn't easy.

One thing I did this year was go in for the bulk buy of spots and just by the reinkers for the in colors. (Or if you're in the states you can just order them directly from the gourd farm) A friend of mine who didn't get in on the bulk buy and is in Canada like me just ordered an extra set of SS spots and then washed out and inked over the exisitng colors. -Still cheaper than pads.

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 601 Likes on 421 Posts

It must be a relief to have it all out in the open. I got my cc statement this month and was surprised by the amount. I manage to pay it off every month, but it is tough some months. There are lots of gifts on there.

I refuse to buy the in colors, I love them but I simply refuse! I do buy stamps from the minis though. I agree that it is a money thing, so I just stick with the 48. The retiring list is tricky too, you do not want to miss out on something you really want!

Good luck getting back on track! It is so hard with the holidays. I have really been trying to use what I have already bought! Or buy only what I know I will use. I would rather buy what I need for a scrapbook page at full price than stock up on sale items I might never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I'm so sorry that you are so sad. I understand how things can get away from you when you don't look at the big picture. This site is a wonderful site, but we do see all the new must haves and the wonderful samples. I, too, am going to cut down on my spending. I'm going to try to allow only a certain amount per month, and not exceed that. I could probably make cards for everyone I know for the rest of my life, and just buy paper and adhesives. I've spent a small fortune this year on Papertrey, GinaK, and MFT.
I put all my rubber recepts in one folder, and don't have the courage to get a total, even for myself. If you've spent too much, you, too, have plenty of supplies. Try for 3 months to use only what you already have. If you stick to that, then you can see what to do the next 3 months.

It's a wonderful hobby. We definitely do not save money by making cards, but you have to consider the enjoyment. It's cheaper than therapy, and I've met some very nice women through this hobby. Good luck to you. I know you will solve the problem, now that you have a realistic look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I absolutely understand the easy temptation of online ordering. This last year has been chocked full of new companies, new releases, sneak peeks, new tools, Nestabilities, designer papers to die for, and on and on. My bank account has seen major damage from all those "gotta have it" items, plus I'm a SU hobby demo making my own minimums.

While none of us can go back and undo our spending, after I did my bills this morning, I am making a major commitment for 2008 to cut back to the quick my stamping/hobby spending, and to actually use all the things I have already bought.

So, Denise, I do understand your feeling so down about this, as I'm sure many others do also. But, now that you are fully aware of the impact of it, and how badly you feel right now, it will be easier not to give in to the impulse to "click here to order". I'm planning on doing the same.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

ohh...I to ache for you. We all know your misery. I keep thinking that I'm nuturing a creativity that will one day actually MAKE money for this family! am I just dreaming? in denial?

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

My dh looks at our joint credit card statement everyday online (not so much to monitor spending but for fradulent charges) - but he will question some things...maybe figuring out how much you can afford to spend each month will help....for the dreaded question - do I really need this and how many ways can I use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hugs, Denise! You are such a wonderful artist, I'm sure it is very tempting to want the latest and greatest because you get such wonderful feed back on all of it. Your hubby sounds wonderful and you are so lucky to have him by your side understanding you and supporting you. This hobby is so wonderful in so many ways, but it is also very addicting.

I was complaining just yesterday because there were so many shoes in our entry way that my guests coming over for my stamp class would hardly be able to get the door open. As my hubby was helping me clear the area, I said to him . . . Notice how not one pair of shoes laying around here is mine? and he said, "Yeah, that's because you only own one pair and you're wearing them!" Truth be told . . . I actually own FOUR pairs of shoes. But, you can see where I've cut back so that I can buy stamps, can't you? I'm also wearing a nice sweater and a great pair of socks . . . from the thrift store! Yup. You're not the only one. I try to limit my purchases to just Stampin'Up and believe it or not, my spending went way back. But, I have to admit, SU makes it pretty enticing!!!

Hugs, again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #9  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

I am in the same boat, do not beat yourself up, things can change, you can change your ways. I am gonna be in for a big surprise this month for sure. Here is a hug, go wash your face, take a deep breath, and try not to cry anymore. ((((HUGS)))), Nancyruth
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Start a business and write it all off!!! Of course, you may want to run that by an accountant first, or look up your state's laws...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

(((hugs))) This is such a financially stressful time of year! I have been through this too and I totally understand... now I get cash only... which helps me keep things under control (you can't spend what you don't have!). With hobbies like ours and enablers like those we all know and love... it's real easy to loose control!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh I completely feel your pain. In 2006 I left my job to take my hobby and passion into a full swing work at home job. Which required start up purchases. Last month I sat down and started calculating everything and about died. I spent all of November selling all my extras on ebay and just trying to recoup some for December so we could pay down all the credit cards as much as possible. I spent the last 2 weeks making a budget for 2008 and just trying to plan ahead and not let spending spiral out of control again.

HUGS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Denise,
Many of us do know how you feel - big hug sent your way! It is a very addicting hobby but now that you have been 'outed' or made aware of your spending habits, you now have the power to change. I totally agree that this is one of the most relaxing hobbies I've ever had and I love it with all my heart. I've never enjoyed anything as much as I've enjoyed making cards.

I am a SU! demonstrator and, thankfully, I have enough of a customer base to assist with meeting the $300 a quarter quota.

I have not bought many of the In Colors because they do retire after 1 year and as a demo, they are not a good investment for me. I did, however, buy the bulk spots and some of the In Color reinkers this year and paper to match. I think I only bought 3 of the colors.

I just recently had to put in an order to replenish my card stock and I'm kicking myself because I ordered 3 stamp sets - and guess what - all three sets are on the retiring list. How frustrating is that?

Lastly, just like my closet, if I don't use a retired set any longer - off to Ebay it goes. This way I don't feel so bad about what I spend on new stuff. I don't buy SU! if I can get the same thing at Michael's, AC Moore or Joann's - for example, the crop-a-dile. There was no way I was paying SU!'s price when I got it at AC Moore for $17.

Take a deep breath, wipe your face and know that today is the beginning of your new life.

Take care,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Oh My, who hasn't been there before?

One of my fave philosophers (Dr. Phil) says, "You can't change what you don't acknowledge".

Things are just "things" and the really sweet part of your story is the gift your hubby gave you by reacting with love and kindness.

I know I feel the strain of holiday overspending, overeating, overdoing just about everything! This is a good time to get the finances and other areas into check while there is still time to fix it!

Thanks for the wake up call, I'm quite sure many of us here can relate!

BTW....I think it's so cute the way you say "cheque" :-)

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't be too hard on yourself, I am sure we have ALL been there one time or another. My husband doesn't question anything I buy, but thankfully he NEVER looks at Visa statements either. Not sure he would quite understand the things I buy to fulfill my obsession for this hobby. Trust me, it will all look better tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Denise - I just checked out your gallery and your creations are absolutely beautiful!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Default thank you girls

Thanks, girls, for your words of encouragement and all your "hugs". You guys are so great. Yup, maybe this was the best thing to happen to me this year,even if it hurts. It's hard to be a perfectionist....you want to make the best card you can with all the toys you see on the site. As I told Nancyruth in a PM, embellishing for me is half the fun, aside from the stamping! But I know I don't need tons of ribbon that will take me 2 years to use. Same with the paper. I guess I'm like those women who buy all those shoes and wear them only once because they have so many!

Thanks again for your ears! And for all those I know who have yet to post on this thread and most likely will. I realize it is an issue we've discussed many times before. Who knows....maybe I might have helped a few "closet" stampers today!

p.s. "cheque"....so Canadian! I know Americans spelling it "check". (from a post above).

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Default sorry about the money to burn

I apologize for this statement in my original post. I didn't mean it to sound like, if you had lots of money, you didn't have to be concerned about your finances. When I read it, it sounded crass to me. Sorry if I offended anyone.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh Denise,
I know how you feel about seeing what huge amounts have been simply flying out of the budget. Just last night I was trying to convince myself to stop spending for at least a few weeks until I can get a handle on things. I have a good program (Quicken) to keep track of both banking and credit cards, but do I use it? No, I haven't entered any items in there for six months at least.
Your DH sounds like a great guy. You said he was kind and understanding. What a blessing that is. Like you, I was sometimes the one to holler at my DH (when he bought expensive equipment for the farm). Now that he is gone and I actually have more spending money for fun stuff, I'm afraid I have gone out of control.
I really need to stop for awhile and then send a gift to the local Homeless Mission instead.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh Denise, I'm so sorry that you are hurting. I love your creations, and even enjoyed your blog when it was running. It sounds like you are on track to get a handle on the spending, so I hope that you can enjoy making your lovely cards again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aw Denise, I'm glad you're feeling better.

I am always trying not to spend too much too. It is hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

*HUGS* I knew immediately that i was going to have to be on a budget. I understand and am so glad that you and your husband have such a great relationship about money.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

(((hugs)))

This is so timely as I just added up my expenditures on this "hobby" from August through the present. I was appalled! I kind of knew I was stress spending but didn’t realize how bad it was. I took the following steps to bring it under control (and I think control is the operational word here):

1. changed my paypal to deduct from my checking account. I don’t have a credit card balance but having the deductions come out immediately is more of an incentive to not buy.
2. I unsubscribed from a ton of on line stores. I really don’t need to know about sales and new items!
3. I deleted a bunch of awesome blogs from my google reader. I really don’t need to know about awesome sales and products!
4. In January, I’m going back to becoming an SU demo to SAVE money on purchases. There are a ton of companies whose stamps I love, some more than SUs, but when I was a demo and limited myself almost entirely to SU and stuck to a budget, I spent far far less. It may not have the latest style that “I” want, but it has plenty that I love and it all coordinates. Coordinate = saves money, at least for me. I’m not an artist, and I don’t do this for a living. It is a hobby and I don’t need everything or the latest and greatest.
5. I’ve set a budget for my SU and non SU purchases. I’m making a cute little notebook out of envelopes and my bind it all to save ALL craft receipts, including magazines and the cost of my blog and they are all going in the book. I think if I have a little crafty way to save these I’ll keep on top of my purchases.
6. I told my husband what I was doing and he seemed appreciative, which gives me all the incentive I need to stick to my plan.
7. I signed up with paypal to be a seller so I can sell a bunch of stuff on ebay or here on SCS and I’m not going to take this money and add it to my craft budget.

I hate being a grown up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Denise,

I so understand what you are going through. I got into this stamping world a couple of years ago and like everyone else I just have to have. One of the things my friend and stamping buddy has been helping me see is that I don't have to have the latest and greatest to make a wonderful card, that we can use this site to inspire us to use what we already have.

One thing I just started, is I now have a seperate savings account that I have funds automatically put into from my paycheck. This is now my 'stamp' fund, so when it is spent it is spent. I have cut up all the credit cards and just have a debt card that way I can purchase with a 'Visa' but it comes directly out of my checking account, that way I know I have to 'account' for the funds.

Don't give up on your stamping, it is what you enjoy! Just enjoy what you have!! Good luck!

Jody
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I hate being a grown up!

AMEN!!!!!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I unsubscribed from a ton of on line stores. I really don�t need to know about sales and new items!
3. I deleted a bunch of awesome blogs from my google reader. I really don�t need to know about awesome sales and products!
I bet these two changes alone will make the biggest impact. If you don't see it, you can't want it!

Stay away from the release parties, too. It's too easy to get caught up in the frenzy. I didn't re-up with my monthly stamp club this year and it has made a huge impact in my SU spending. Of course, with the influx of on-line companies, I just redirected myself there instead. My local LSS tried having a garage sale last year and it was hugely successful. I have been cleaning out my room, setting things aside so I can sell off some stuff I don't use at their garage sale. While I won't recoup what I've spent, I will feel better having gotten something back. When birthdays and Christmas come around, ask for gift certificates to on-line stores which carry products you like and use that instead. You won't feel so guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just remember you are not alone. I am so glad that you posted this as I felt I was the only one who over-did it with the spending on my papercraft hobbies. I am single, so I don't have the husband to worry about but, sometimes I'm not sure if I'll have enough to pay the credit card bills and yet I keep buying. It is embarassing and I don't have a plan to clean this mess up and I definitely need one. So, I'll be thinking of you as you turn your situation around. Thinks to you and everyone else who has been honest about their weaknesses on this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Sorry you are feeling so down- that darn internet can be dangerous in more ways than one! It just dawned on me this morning that I had no problem clicking "submit" on an order for a new $150 ski coat FOR ME recently (christmas present from hubby) but if I'd been looking at it in the store, I would've walked out without buying at least 3 or 4 times. Very dangerous indeed. Hey, the first step to recovery is admitting the problem, right? It's probably a good thing your feelings are so strong now, that will help you overcome the temptation when it crops up again! Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
(((hugs)))

4. In January, I�m going back to becoming an SU demo to SAVE money on purchases. There are a ton of companies whose stamps I love, some more than SUs, but when I was a demo and limited myself almost entirely to SU and stuck to a budget, I spent far far less. It may not have the latest style that �I� want, but it has plenty that I love and it all coordinates. Coordinate = saves money, at least for me. I�m not an artist, and I don�t do this for a living. It is a hobby and I don�t need everything or the latest and greatest.
I did this a year and a half ago when I became a demo and it really did help me cut down on my spending. I have a product limit (whatever is in the current Su catalog(s)) and a monye limit each month, and I stick to them both. It saves me time (no more running around a bunch of stores --even the on-line ones), gas (that obviously only applies to the LSS) and aggrevation (everything I buy from SU coordinates perfectly so I don't have to tear my hair out becasue I purchase ribbon from Michael's that doesn't match the shade of card stock I got at Archiver's).

I also found that I am a lot happier when I live within my self-imposed limits. There is a study done at Harvard where they found that having too many choices actually makes you less happy with the choices you make. There's also a book out about it called "the paradox of choice". We think that having more choices is making us happier becasue that's what we have been conditioned to think in a capitalistic society, but in reality it's just the opposite. So by limiting my pool of choices to what is offered by SU I actually made myself happier with the things that I'm buying, using and making. That's a nice bonus that you can't put a price on!

I know that SU is not for everyone, but I'm sure it would work the same if you chose another supplier or maybe a couple of suppliers who have pretty much everything a stamper needs in terms of ink, card stock, stamps and embellishments. Limiting the choice set to just one or two suppliers and forcing oneself to ignore the commercial messages from other sources should make one happier (and save money too)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Oh boy. What a wakeup call I got this morning. My DH added up all our Mastercard statements with my on-line purchases for the last 18 months. I am too embarassed to even tell you the amount. Let's just say, it was enough to make me cry for hours. I was shocked and sad. And I could not believe how kind and understanding my DH was. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I would have tore his head off.

And that's not the worst thing. All my SU! orders are done by cheque and he does not do the chequeing. He has no idea of my SU! spending.

I have cut back alot on-line. My Mastercard was the lowest it has been in 2 years. I actually have some savings in my bank acct. and I am making regular payments on my new vehicle.

From now on, I told him, he must look at the bank statements and the returned cheques. This way, I will get "caught" if I order too much from SU!. This will help keep me in line. I also told him to check every Visa and Mastercard statement to see what I am spending. Again, knowing he is looking, I will be very careful and think hard about what to buy.

I feel like an addict who has been outed. It is humiliating. Embarassing. I feel stupid and also feel so low, because I know this is his money too. The only thing that gives me a bit of solace is that I sacrifed to buy stuff for this hobby. No new dining room table that I have always wanted. I can't rememer the last time I bought new clothes or shoes, simply because I knew my stamp spending was taking the place of these other purchases.

I know what you are all going to say. You can't have fun with a dining room table (well....I could roll around on it! :rolleyes: .) But this is something I have always wanted to have in my home. I love this hobby, but it is just that.....a hobby, where I make a lovely card if I need one for a birthday, etc.

Yes, it is peaceful and creative and I don't want to give it up and I won't. I've plans in place to keep the spending under control now.

I looked at the SU! catty and the way they set it up is so enticing. And the in-colors. Don't get me started. For a person who loves them each year, it is hard for me to say goodbye to them. I should not have bought last year's because, I have not used them this year. Vintage Violet once and C. Caribbean once each!

I have used this year's in-colors ALOT, so I know these will be a good thing for me to buy a few pack of. But I would not have known this ahead of time, so I may have to stop with this cardstock. So tricky of SU! I think it is rotten of them, actually. It's the only think about SU! that I don't like. Because I know it is a money grab, plain and simple. And it works. Look how many of us stock up. And if you want an ink-pad, you are forced to buy a whole ink pad, not an ink-spot. If I used the in-color cardstock all the time, even years later, it would be ok. But I don't know if I am going to do that, seeing as I can't read the future!;)

Sorry for such a long thread. I am just so upset with myself. I had to "get it all out" and I knew you girls would understand where I am coming from. For those that have money to burn, I realize this may be a non-issue.
3 Words:
Seperate Bank Accounts ;)

then a few more words:

I have my own job to pay for my habits, dh has his, makes everyone happy and it's all about what you can personally afford, KWIM? I cant afford to have everything everyone else has as far as stamping or anything else goes, some can afford more others less, you just have to find a happy medium. Like I only have 30 or so Copic markers even though I "want" 200 or so of them....but I can live with that because some people cant even afford to have 1 let alone as many as I can afford.

It is great that you are making choices to get your habit under control now before it gets to be too much.

oh and I will never sacrifice buying clothes and shoes for stamping, they are my 1st love:mrgreen:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am retired and don't get social security for another year, so I am feeling
the same way, because my husband has no idea how much I have spent since I retired, though within reason, but it could be a lot better. I always use coupons (Joannes 40% off at other stores also) for large purchases, will have my credit card paid off next year, and haven't used it for a few years, and I'm not a demo required to a quota of purchases or sales. I have had to cut back in other areas, and you can usually do that some where. I think most of us spend more then we would like to.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

You poor thing.... it must have felt like you were punched in the stomach! At least your DH didn't go and make you feel worse. I'm sure glad we can't go back and look at all the money I've spent... I think I'd get sick and I KNOW he would! lol

I refuse to keep a credit card... I use his if I need it but never for stamping, then I'd have to tell him how much I'm spending. And I've been selling on Paypal for years... so many times I will sell something to pay for something else. I also get a lot of my things at yard sales and flea markets. I have so much of every single color of cardstock that SU has ever made thanks to a demo who was selling off her entire collection. She only charged me 30 bucks for 3 huge rubbermaid containers full (you should have seen me happy dancing all day!).

I used to spend whenever I wanted something... I remember one week spending $300. after spending $150. the week before... I wasn't too happy with myself. But I left my job Labor Day weekend to help my daughter (she had her hip replaced) and got a wake up call of my own. All of a sudden I couldn't buy at whim, boy was that hard at first! It did make me think long and hard though about my spending habits. As of last week I am back at my job but have no intention of getting into the same old bad habits. My stamp room is FULL... so I'm going to concentrate on using what I have. I'm staying away from some of my favorite blogs (this one is hard!) because there are just too many cute new stamps out and I don't want to be tempted. And I'll make sure I'm not just buying because I WANT something... but because I NEED it.

I did just treat myself to a set of Nestabilities... I want them ALL but just bought one set. That'll have to do for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

(((HUGS))) denise i know how you feel, well kind of i dont have the CC stress. But im still in hih school working two days a week and have a pretty expensive hobby... mom and dad help me out with som of my expenses like my cell bill since idot do alot of calling to others (i text alot tho) and my car insurance. I also dont have a CC cuz my mom wot let me... but whne i am aloud to use hers im very careful what i get and i remember last year dad was going over teh CC statements and he's like who in the world is paypal? and moms told him it was stuff on ebay for me and lane. Here is one trick i like, if you are selling stuff get them to send you online GC's for a store of your choice, taht way you can buy your favorite stuff with no worries!

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Oh Denise - big hugs!!!

I think you've received some great advice from all the posters here. I agree with setting a budget for your crafts, staying away from some 'tempting' blogs (or other sites) & giving up the notion that you have to have everything all at once to make you happy with your craft.

Look to next year to get on track with your spending. Use what you have now & create more gorgeous stuff for us to drool over!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I hear ya, I am right there too. I so need to scale it back and after Christmas I am done spending like a crazy woman too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

It seems alot of us are in the same situation here. I am a new stamper, yes I have a lot of stuff too. I have about 200 SU sets, do I use them all..no, I bought them because they were cute. I have a huge problem with clearance sales on stamping stuff and it really hurts my pocket book. I hate the thought of not being able to pay for a bill, but yet, it was ok to spend it on ribbon, stamps, etc..we have been going through rough times too. It is scary. My husband and I signed up for this Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey at our church. There are about 30 of us in this class, and its a 15 wk course. It really helps out quite a bit, because one reason...you have to write down what you bought for the week and bring it in to show people..That alone tells me..I'm not going to show people how much I spend on my stamping habit..they would look at me like I was nuts..I do set aside Blow Money for my habit because its worked into our monthly budget. If you dont have a budget, then its not going to work. When you think about it, you really dont need a C/C because mostly all bank cards are debit cards. It just comes right out of your account. We dont use CC's. Way too much trouble. I have a CC that I still pay on and really sucks because I have nothing to show for it. Now, my dh and I work together, if its not in the budget..we can not get it. Here is Dave Ramseys website if you wanted to check him out. www.daveramsey.com If my dh only knew how much I really spend. I'm also addicted to those Michaels and Joanns $1 stamps. I have over 100 of them. Do I use them all, NO! Once again, they are cute. My prayers are with you to have everything work out. Everything will work itself out. Been there, done that, still there but slowing getting out. Hugs to you! I hope this helps.

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I'm glad you are feeling better!
I too am a bad overspender, or have been. I get home from Target from needing 3 things, with a few bags of junk and nothing we couldn't live without. I signed up to be a demo a couple months ago, had one party, and will start a monthly club in January. I have found that I no longer desire the products as much, or feel the urgency to buy them like I did as a non-demo. Maybe that is because as a demo you really have to think over your purchases more carefully if you are going to use the req'd current items. There will always be a new catalog, new in colors, new everything and it seems like the excitement is now gone from SU's deadlines to intice me into buying. It's nice being on the other side and not feeling the need to overspend like before. Sounds like this is true for some others too, just not sure why?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I feel for you. I know how it's like. My husband and I were both working full time and doing very well for ourselves, but I had to leave my job due to stress issues as well as an hour commute each way. I then took a part time job at about half the pay. Things changed really quick. Now my husband is on a rotation assignment for work, so we are now paying for two places to live (I'm in Ohio, he's in DC). We both have a budget to stick to. I keep a spreadsheet for my stamping purchases. I only spend what I make (includes SU profits, things on ebay, books on Amazon). That way none of my income from my "real" job is spent on stamping.

Figure out a system that works for you.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Location: It's a bird, it's a plane ... no.... it's SUPERPUG!! Coming to an SS near you!!

I'm so sorry that you're sad. I totally understand how you feel and how you got there. One thing I can say is that you are lucky to have such a great, loving husband. Hug him tightly and make him a thank you card??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. I went through something similar a number of years ago. I paid off my credit cards, tore them up, and now pay cash for everything. I also have a Visa debit card, which I use for online purchases or if I don't want to carry a lot of cash. It takes discipline, and it may take several years, but once you have paid off everything (except house and car payments), you will feel so good about yourself, and you'll wonder where all that extra money came from! Another trick is to pay yourself first by putting money into a savings/bond/brokerage account each month before anything. Good luck! I feel your pain - I've been there. Keep us posted on how you're doing - we care.
Reply With Quote Likes