Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #1  
The Digi-Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awkward Situation: If you see a card in the gallery....

Okay, I don't know how to say this...

If you see a card in the gallery or a scrapbook page with a blatant grammar error or word that is not spelled correctly, is there an appropriate way to tell the person?

I saw something today that jumped off the screen at me because it was spelled wrong. I wanted to so badly to tell her so she can fix it before she mails it out, but how do you do that? Would it offend you if someone told you?

I don't want to be a meanie, but what do I do?

Kimberly

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:00 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I would not be offended but quite thankful to you. I think you should PM her and tell her.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:01 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

:oops: If it were me I would want to know before I look like a dummy that can't spell.. I don't think it's wrong, I look at it as constructive criticism (i can't spell) :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:07 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree that I wouldn't be offended by a pm about a spelling error.

On the other hand, computer messages (email, instant messaging, posts, etc.) don't normally get the same level of scrutiny as other written messages.

So...if it is an error that distorts the meaning or is embarassing, I'd love to be corrected. Otherwise, who cares?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ditto all the above, tell her in a loving way and I am sure she will thank you profusely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TELL ME! TELL ME! TELL ME!

I would hate to spend time on a swap that the reciever could not use. Or a card that looked like it must be so simple I couldn't take the time to spell it right. If it was for my personal use, like an SB page, I just my descendents would just know I can't spell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 AM   #7  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Fuhs
Otherwise, who cares?
Yes, I mean in a card or scrapbook page, not in an email. I use horrible grammar in emails ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I would definitely say something. If it were me, I would just laugh since I know I can't spell. And they may come back and say "oh, I did that on purpose because of the recipient" or be very grateful. I doubt they'll get mad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:27 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd definitely want to know about a card or scrapbook page misspelling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:30 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am a horrible speller......everyone that knows me knows it!
There is a photo in my gallery that has a huge misspelled word. I even looked it up before I wrote it. I was supremely embarrassed when I realized that I had posted that pic.....and that people had seen. So I just keep imagining that no one has seen it and I am safe. LOL!

That being said.......I would rather have someone have their own private giggle about my mistake than being told. I can't fix that mistake, maybe she can't fix hers either. If it was something I couldn't fix and you pointed it out......I would die :oops: thinking about the other person getting it.

So.....what purpose does it serve by telling her? If it is something that she has power to fix maybe she would want to know. If she doesn't.....she might just be :oops: and feel stupid. I felt stupid the last time someone else pointed an error out to me. I didn’t appreciate it, but thought to myself………I need to work harder as to not offend those people with my stupidity!

Some people are bugged by typo's or spelling errors that others make. She might take your noticing as a criticism. It takes a lot of guts to post in the gallery.

Just a thought to ponder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Default That's a tough one...

Okay, so misspelling is one of my pet peeves. That being said, I tend to not tell people about misspellings, unless I know that they know they are bad spellers and I have good enough of a relationship with them to correct them.

Now, because I'm a pretty good speller, I DO appreciate it when I've made a spelling error and someone points it out. It's a known fact that sometimes people will automatically correct their mistakes in their head - even when proofreading. If it's a glaring mistake like "Happy Birtday," I would think that someone would appreciate the help.

What a judgement call!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Ok!! Wuz it won of mine!!! I am the wurst speler evr!!!! I could never spll in schuol, finished with a bacholers degrae, an stil caant spel! And knot wurking four fiften yers did not help! JK!!! But I really can not spell-just not this bad!!!!! Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Ok, I think if it's a scrapbook page I'd probably let it go. Perhaps she's seen it already but didn't feel it was worth it to change it. I know it's happened to me. I get all done with a great page and then realized I've made a spelling mistake and I don't feel like covering it over or whatever so I just leave.

But, if it's on a card that I might send out then I'd probably want to know about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Check this out. I read it yesterday and was amazed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing else to add. Just thought that was fitting to this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Susie, that is too funny! I'll bet it took you way more time to write everything wrong than it does to do it correctly!

Lisa Lisa, in my opinion, you certainly shouldn't feel stupid about a typo and I feel bad that you did when someone pointed it out to you. And I doubt that very many people have a giggle at the expense of someone else's typo or spelling error. When you think about how difficult the English language is, it's really a wonder there aren't more errors! Think about how many words we have that sound the same, but are spelled differently and mean different things? Examples: red/read, threw/through, bear/bare, there/their/they're, the list could go on. Also, especially when you are writing (or stamping) something slower than you normally write, it's really easy to miss letters because your brain gets ahead of where your project is. I often lay my letter stamps out in a row to spell out what I'm trying to stamp before I actually begin stamping. I leave spaces in my words if I've already set out a letter I need in another spot. That way I know what comes next without worrying about where my brain is when I'm actually stamping. Maybe that tip will help?

All that being said, I'd like to know if I have a typo on something I've stamped rather than not being told because someone is afraid they might hurt my feelings. There's almost always a way to fix it. I also make cakes as a hobby, and whenever I'm making a cake for someone, I always worry I'm going to spell their name wrong. Can you imagine getting a birthday cake where someone spelled your name wrong? I think that makes a spelling error on a card look like not such a big deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Ok!! Wuz it won of mine!!! I am the wurst speler evr!!!! I could never spll in schuol, finished with a bacholers degrae, an stil caant spel! And knot wurking four fiften yers did not help! JK!!! But I really can not spell-just not this bad!!!!! Susie
:lol: Susie - thanks for the laugh!!

I too am a very big critic of grammar and spelling. I tend to spot them no matter what - this is a pet peeve of mine actually. I would rather not notice it then to wonder if I should tell or not. :?

I tend not to say anything, unless I know the person very well. My family jokes because I am very perceptive about everything, so they expect nothing less from me. I can't stand it when I make a mistake either.

If it was me - I would want to be told. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
Check this out. I read it yesterday and was amazed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing else to add. Just thought that was fitting to this thread.
Definitely true! What a neat study - who would have thought you could read something like that. Thanks for sharing Kymbers_Stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a friend who is dyslexic and has a hard time with fractions, like those on measuring cups or spoons. She often calls me for help while she is cooking or baking to make sure she measures correctly. When I give her recipes over the phone, I make sure to say "a quarter cup...that's the 1 over the 4" so she can be sure to get it right. I know she would be mortified to send something out to someone with a typo because she is so self conscious about her difficulties. A gentle mention shouldn't hurt...she may have known how to spell the word but just made an honest mistake. Happens to me all the time when I use my laptop. The keys are more sensitive (couldn't be me! :oops: )!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default errors in past SU Stampin' Memories catties

There were some spelling and grammar errors in some of the SU Stampin' Memories catty sample pages that came out when we had those catties in the past. I'm sure unless a customer looked really close no one could tell, but I work in editing and the errors were really noticeable to me! They are all retired now so doesn't matter anymore.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

If you are thinking of the same thing I'm thinking of and it's an invitation, will you PLEASE tell her!!! I can't stand the thought of someone getting the invitation like that for her sake. However, I'm such a weenie and I can't stand to make others uncomfortable. If you do tell her, good luck.

I would be embarrassed if someone told me I had a spelling error, but if everyone was going to see it, I would like to be able to correct it. Plus, I know I'm only human!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
Love you sharing this!

What's scary to me is that I could read it just as quickly as if it had been spelled correctly.
I can also read upside down just as well as right side up!
What a goofy brain!
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would want to know for sure. Even if the misspelling is on a scrapbook page I would want someone to tell me. Then I would at least be aware of it and judge whether or not I'd like to take the time to fix it. As long as you let them know in a nice, private type of way...I think that most people would appreciate it. It is such an easy thing to do (misspell) when stamping/scrapbooking and certain errors don't jump out to people as easily.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:37 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Re: errors in past SU Stampin' Memories catties

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Laycock
There were some spelling and grammar errors in some of the SU Stampin' Memories catty sample pages that came out when we had those catties in the past. I'm sure unless a customer looked really close no one could tell, but I work in editing and the errors were really noticeable to me! They are all retired now so doesn't matter anymore.
There are typos in the current catalog too! But please don't ask me to find them again, I'd go crazy searching for them. But what really cracks me up in the current catalog is the scrapbook page on p.194. The "Happy Baby" doesn't look all that happy to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa
I am a horrible speller......everyone that knows me knows it!
LOL

Hey Lisa Lisa - you know they have a spell check thing that you can run your messages through???? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 10:28 AM   #25  
The Digi-Freak

I pm'ed her.

OHHHH, speaking of cakes!! My friend Annie had a baby shower at her school. It was a joint shower with a friend (we'll call her Lisa), who was also pregnant.

The cake lady wrote CONGRATULATIONS ANNIE AND LISA and put **WEDDING BELLS** all over the cake!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

They have a picture of them holding hands behind the cake ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 10:29 AM   #26  
The Digi-Freak

Default Re: errors in past SU Stampin' Memories catties

Quote:

Originally Posted by janz

There are typos in the current catalog too! But please don't ask me to find them again, I'd go crazy searching for them. But what really cracks me up in the current catalog is the scrapbook page on p.194. The "Happy Baby" doesn't look all that happy to me!
Hehehehee, I just looked it up! He looks kinda grumpy! Cute kid, but not smiling!! LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I almost did this in a workshop! I was doing a "SPRING" page and I forgot the "R". Fortunately, my hostess was paying attention and caught it before I ruined the project. I covered it up by saying "See, you too can become a Demo and mispell things!", but I was really embarassed.

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I pm'ed her.

OHHHH, speaking of cakes!! My friend Annie had a baby shower at her school. It was a joint shower with a friend (we'll call her Lisa), who was also pregnant.

The cake lady wrote CONGRATULATIONS ANNIE AND LISA and put **WEDDING BELLS** all over the cake!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

They have a picture of them holding hands behind the cake ;)
Do they live in California or Canada? :lol: Only two places I can think of offhand where same sex marriage is allowed. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

MamaKimberly, that's too funny about the wedding cake for the baby shower! Hee-hee! Also, I saw the joke you have in your siggy line in RD this month, is that where you got it? I laughed when I saw that! My DH didn't get it until I said it out loud to him!
Reply With Quote Likes