Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't get it..... rub ons

Please enlighten me. I've been looking at SU's new rub-ons and I just don't get it. You could easily just stamp in black to achieve the same look. I guess I'm confused because for YEARS as a demo I was selling to my customers the fact that they didn't "need" rub-ons because they had stamps. Now SU comes out with rub-ons. I think it is very conflicting if you ask me. I'm not a demo anymore or serving on the AB anymore so I cannot ask Shelli & the ET what they are thinking. I'm not trying to offend at all but I honestly don't get it.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have limited experience with rub ons, but here are the positives:

The white ones are great on dark cardstock -- much much better than any white ink

The black ones provide a very matte, sharp image that is actually cleaner than ink. However, I agree that the black are not as appealing as the white.

The black ones, particularly letter ones, are superior for placing over patterned paper -- they just show up more clear and even.

But, they are pricey in that you use them once and poof they are gone!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

The rub-ons may appeal to someone attending a workshop that is primarily a scrapbooker and may not be interested in investing in stamps, ink...I can't imagine not wanting to buy stamps and ink but I'm sure there are lots of scrapbookers fitting that description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

When I first saw the rub-ons, I was thinking the same thing! I don't get it! Why would a stamping company go in that direction? I also thought that when I saw the designer wrapping paper and the gift card holders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

you can also use them on uneven surfaces. i have used other brands on christmas ornaments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used rub ons for the first time recently, and I have been a long time card maker. What I liked about them was that I could layer the rub on over multiple layers of card stock and not get a "gap" between the layers. Does that make sense? I used them to make a Christmas card, I will try to post a pic. If I used a stamp where the "ridge" of one layer to the next was the ink would skip and create a line. Clear as mud, I'm sure. If I was just using a rub on and a single sheet of CS, there would be no advantage other than the super clear image, as mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for the responses girls. I am a huge scrapbooker but have never tried rub-ons. I know *GASP* but it's true. My first experience with scrappin' was Creative Memories and then I joined as an SU demonstrator in 2001. No time to really try anything else. Now that I do my own thing I will definitely have to check these out.

On another note............ Aren't the SU ones very pricey?? I went to Hobby Lobby to check them out and they were way cheaper and from what I hear equal quality.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm very good at buying them with all good intentions, and then they sit lonely in my drawer.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are good rub-ons and bad rub-ons; until I tried the ones from One Heart-One Mind, which glide on like buttah, my experiences had been very disappointing.

For the most, I personally prefer stamping over rub-ons any day of the week.

BUT . . . (and you knew there was gonna be a "but" . . . *chuckle*)

I can see a few advantages to them in situations where they would be preferred over stamps:

1. Uneven or challenging surfaces on which to stamp
2. The need for a greeting or expression that you might only have one use for, as opposed to multiple/repeated uses.

For example, happy birthday is an expression you would use repeatedly, so having it, or things like alphabets, in a stamp form would be "smart"!

An expression that would be "single use", however, might be best as an inexpensive rub-on--altho, I don't find rub-ons to be inexpensive, generally speaking, so I usually avoid buying them anyway, despite how pretty they are--and there are some pretty ones out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I saw *somewhere* where someone did a cost per square inch comparison between several brands of rub-ons. The SU! ones came out very favorably in that kind of comparison. It may have been on the demo side - I will go and search and see if I can find it and add it here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Most of the time I use rub-ons across a photo - not a place I like to stamp, even with StazOn.

I actually thought the SU price was GREAT!! Rub-ons are not cheap, so I thought the price point was awesome - especially to have all those images in white, which is usually much harder to find than black. And the facts that they coordinate with the stamp sets AND are some pretty unique images, are all awesome!!!! (Can you tell I am VERY excited about these????) :-)

Check out my blog: http://www.jenstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
I saw *somewhere* where someone did a cost per square inch comparison between several brands of rub-ons. The SU! ones came out very favorably in that kind of comparison. It may have been on the demo side - I will go and search and see if I can find it and add it here...

Here's a part of the post from the demo side with the comparison --

(price is per square inch and only for single color rub-ons, not mulit-colored):

Autumn Leaves: $0.17

Basic Grey: $0.06

Hamby Studios: $0.14

7 Gypsies: $0.11

Stampin' Up: $0.09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I held out on using rub-ons until receintly, and I am in love with them now! I especially love them on glass, transparencies, chipboard and photos. Some brands are definitely better than others. I love a brand called Hambly Screen prints... their rub-ons are very large and bold, and you could never get that crisp and professional an image with a stamp. Plus you can place the image over like 2/3 of a 12X12 page... over the photos and multiple papers too. It's a very unique look.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Using rub ons with surfaces like glass; vases, mirrors etc that would be near impossible to stamp on. Can you stamp a good image on a curvy vase? I cant, and that's why I LOVE rub ons. They get into nooks and crannies that stamps cant.

And the prices are very affordable, especially for the beautiful designs they are offering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for all the help everyone! I guess I will have to try them. Watch, I'll be the biggest cheerleader for them on the next thread!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyvinceView Post
A stamp is a one time sale. Rub ons get used up pretty fast. They feel like cheating to me too. Anyone can put a sticker on something. Also, if I want to overlap it, stamp it in red, or emboss it I don't have the option. Profitable for them but not for me.
Haha, really, a sticker feels like cheating to you? I have some stickers I really like, like some metallic Magenta and Stampendous ones, and some Colorbok faux brads that are actually stickers. I never thought that some stampers might look down their noses at stickers. I wonder if other people feel this way, as well... ?

And more on topic... I have never bought rub-ons. But I have tried making some of my own by printing them on inkjet transparencies, with limited success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

My thought is that it is a good way to get into the hobby without investing in stamps or inks when you're not sure if you really want to or not. You can make a nice card or sbook page this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
My thought is that it is a good way to get into the hobby without investing in stamps or inks when you're not sure if you really want to or not. You can make a nice card or sbook page this way.
I guess I missed that step. I own everything under the sun besides run-ons. Okay, yes, I do not own a Scor-pal or Cropadile either.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
Thanks for the responses girls. I am a huge scrapbooker but have never tried rub-ons. I know *GASP* but it's true. My first experience with scrappin' was Creative Memories and then I joined as an SU demonstrator in 2001. No time to really try anything else. Now that I do my own thing I will definitely have to check these out.

On another note............ Aren't the SU ones very pricey?? I went to Hobby Lobby to check them out and they were way cheaper and from what I hear equal quality.
You gotta remember that you are getting both black and white rub-ons in the SU! package, whereas when you buy other rub-ons, you get one sheet of one color. Ours are very competitive.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

I love GOOD rub ons so I will wait here to see what y'all think of them before I buy. I have had some that were TERRIBLE. Some don't come off at all, and some that if you breath to heavy near them they come off! I love the look of the good ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

The first time I used them was with my Basic Grey Blush card kit and they were kinda fun! I loved being about to add a sentiment after making the entire card and not worrying I was going to mess the whole thing up. And, like clear stamps, you can actually see where they're going, which is fabulous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Rub-ons are a fabulous addition to stamps and I consider them more of an accessory than a replacment for a stamp. They are popular with people in the crafting / scrapbooking world and it just opens up more possibilities for SU in my opinion.

Rub-ons are great to use on glass, tin, metal, plastic, photographs, transparencies and on card stock. They are quick, easy and easy to see where you are positioning your item for placement.

People lead such busy lives these days that I think rub-ons are something that will make it easier for people to start doing paper crafts of some type. People on the run can use them just like the Designer Series Paper. They are great for someone just starting out too, they don't have to have word stamps and image stamps, ink pads, cleaners, cardstock, etc. to make a project. Start off with some Designer Series Paper and some rub-ons and you can make many, many projects inexpensively.

I am tickled that SU is coming out with them and I cannot wait to use them on my projects!

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Smile Rub-Ons

I have been reading the thread on using Rub-Ons with interest. I LOVE rub-on and have a huge collections. I also use my rubber stamps a lot in scrapbooking too. I must say that I think the rub-ons really give a more professional look when using individual letters to make up a word than the stamp letters do - in my case anyway. They are easier to line up and space. I love buying the books of coloured rub-ons in a theme. Super quick to use for a project and all colour coordinated. I don't see it as an either / or but rather complimentry additional tool type of thing.

I have a couple of tips that may help new users:

One thing I have found though is that you need to keep your sheets of rub-ons in a sealed container be it a baggie or container etc. We have dry air here in winter and the rub-ons kinda dry out and then do not rub onto the project properly and also get a cracked look to them. I think airconditioned rooms also affect your rub-ons unless they are kept sealed.

Also, after you have rubbed on your rub-on, take the protector sheet and place it over the rub-on and burnish again. This ensures that your rub-on is properly attached.

Cut the portion of rub-on that you want to use from the sheet. The smaller piece is easier to place and rub properly and also you won't get bits from the surrounding images on your project by mistake.

I have bought many different brands of rub-on and even those from Dollar Tree work great for me - and their price is great so the kids can use them on their projects too.

Hugs
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

i love rub on's especially the AMerican craft ones...they are fabu...
but i make my own rub on's alot of time and they are just as good!!

http://meocracy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have stayed away from rub-ons till lately. I think they look super on a photo or altered art. I would buy them if I liked the design but didn't think I'd use the stamp enough to justify purchasing a stampset vs rubon...I do think its great that SU! is producing more "current" products. I suppose that was the point of their 2 catty idea.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I personally consider them a fun accessory not a stamp replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes