Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2004, 05:07 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cards in store mimicking our cards????

okay, so my husband's grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago and we started getting cards. When I looked at the cards, I was reminded of the kind of cards that "we" are making. One had a ribbon tied in a bow, one had a decorative edge cut, one looked like it was colorblocked, one had a open oval matted look. Has anyone noticed this? I remember store bought cards as being distinctly different than homemade. Now it seems like the card industry is picking up on some of "our" techniques and using them. I don't know how I feel about this.

Corrie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:12 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,037 Likes on 477 Posts

Corrie - I noticed that recently, too, and was upset at first! But after thinking about it, they must know what is "hot" because that's their business. I think I will try to find a card that looks like one of "ours," with something I can closely replicate, and buy it. Then, I can show it at a workshop and say "Look at this Hallmark Card for $4.95! I can buy four of them, or purchase one set of stamps and use my own paper and make as many as I would like!"
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:15 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cards in store mimicking our cards????

Quote:

Originally Posted by com4n6
okay, so my husband's grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago and we started getting cards. When I looked at the cards, I was reminded of the kind of cards that "we" are making. One had a ribbon tied in a bow, one had a decorative edge cut, one looked like it was colorblocked, one had a open oval matted look. Has anyone noticed this? I remember store bought cards as being distinctly different than homemade. Now it seems like the card industry is picking up on some of "our" techniques and using them. I don't know how I feel about this.

Corrie
Yes, I noticed this too. I noticed one that appeared to have flower punchies on then with beads in the center. They weren't actually punchies but had ben embossed around to give that impression.

I think it is just that this is the current style. I have always bought Hallmark cards and the more expensive "boutique" models they sell.

Hallmark seems to be really up on trends. Look at the M. Bastain (sp?) line they had and all that porcelin and that look was SO popular then. I only know because her work because it was licensed in cross stitch at the same time. Then they had the Mayo Angelou stuff timed with her Poet Laureate and the Oprah stuff. I remember at one time, you could not leave the store without a card with glitter.

I have often thought they stepped up to compete with what people were creating with computer programs. Plain flat cards for $3 when you can do it yourself on a computer for less than 50 cents. Now this is just keeping ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:19 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was just in Target last night. Not only are they copying us, they are selling the stuff to make your own cards. I was in the card section of Target and they now sell bold hues card packs that include cardstock & envelopes in neon green, hot pink, bright orange, etc, and in the same area they sell the embellishments to stick onto the card. The embellishments are birthday hats, beaded flowers, coordinating tags to match. I was stunned. And I actually considered buying some of it because the colors were bright and the embellishments were adorable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:23 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyWyf
Corrie - I noticed that recently, too, and was upset at first! But after thinking about it, they must know what is "hot" because that's their business. I think I will try to find a card that looks like one of "ours," with something I can closely replicate, and buy it. Then, I can show it at a workshop and say "Look at this Hallmark Card for $4.95! I can buy four of them, or purchase one set of stamps and use my own paper and make as many as I would like!"
That is a great selling idea! I have to admit leaving hallmark and sketching a few ideas for cards but i never translated that into selling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:23 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Sure they are!
They need to do something to compete with us wonderful card makers.
I'm pretty sure that the sales of pre-made cards has greatly reduced over the past few years. I think that is why several companies have come out with .99 cards. That probably didn't work as well as they had hoped, so they are making fancy smancy cards like ours!

Can't blame 'em.
At least they have good taste!
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:43 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you can believe this, I'm a merchandiser for Hallmark! I don't even buy their cards. I notice all the time how they make cards that look like they're stamped. It still doesn't compare. They obviously know that we're on to something. I get ideas now and then, but I have a hard time converting. My brain is in work mode at the store, and creative mode when I'm stamping. I do look at phrases sometimes and think, "I have to use that", especially the funny ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 06:05 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

And, those "fancy smancy" Hallmark cards sell for a lot more too! I've seen cards that had ribbon/lace etc. that I didn't even think were that nice for $8. I have priced out the materials on a number of cards I've made and a super extravagant 5x7 size card only came to $1.50 and that including a few cents for adhesive, ink, and the price of an envelope & a plastic sleeve to put it in. My cost for a notecard using 1/2 a sheet of cs runs between 27 and 50 cents.

I'm sure those kits they are selling appeal to people so they can just stick things together and have the satisfaction of making a "homemade" card. But to me, I like to really start from scratch and the stamping is the best part. Ya know, holding the wood block in your hand, inking it up good and makin' a fabulous impression on your cardstock!
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes