Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blogs (controversial thread)

Ok, don't start throwing rubber at me yet, but I can't be the only one who is thinking this. I look at a fair number of blogs. Now they are not all like this, but soooo many are and I am flying through them as fast as I can, looking at the card and then hightailing it out of there because I don't really want to read about the stamp set I "MUST HAVE". It seems that so many bloggers are advertising heavily for their design companies and while I understand their loyalty and the fact they want to spread the news, cannot it not be done a little more ?...I can't think of a word to use here. Maybe more understated?

All I keep reading is , "you MUST check out this stamp", "quick, race over to so and so's for a look at...." "if you haven't bought the latest ____stamps, click here" " you are going to love this...I can't stamp without it" and on and on it goes.

I love blogs and I love to look at the wonderful card designs on them. But I really hate this advertising. Maybe it's because I look at so many at once and it comes across as being excessive, when it isn't. I don't know. All I do know, is that I looked at 52 entries tonight and at least 25 were encouraging me to rush to such and such site so I would not miss out. Gorgeous ribbon, gorgeous stamps, gorgeous paper. A blogger who just blogs for creative purposes has a very different blog than a blogger who is promoting a company. I admit I like all these blogs. I just wish the advertising was kept to a minimum. But I don't have an answer on how to do this. Other than for me to not look at these blogs, which would be a shame.

Ok, you can start throwing some rubber now! My rant is over!;)

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"

Last edited by denidill; 11-28-2007 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #2  
Sassy Shani

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....here is my simple answer. Don't click on the link. I'm assuming that if you are on a DT then part of your "job" is to promote the company.
Just my .02

:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah, I'm by- passing the link. It's all the hoopla leading up to the link....

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I just look at all the pretty pictures but don't actually read the writing. a.) depends on how much time I have. b.) depends on if I'm interested in what they're saying. No reason not to at least look at the beautiful work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

It sounds like blog surfing isn't that enjoyable for you right now and even though it may be hard, try taking a little break from it. When you come back to it your outlook may be different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I agree with Tracy - take a break from it for awhile.

I look forward to updates on several blogs by my favorites and appreciate the details/recipes. Just last week, a link was provided for something I had been looking for without much success and thanks to the link, I'm now awaiting delivery to finish my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

While this may be true to some extent, a lot of us (including myself) like to leave links so that you may find certain items...just in case you like what you see. I sure hope I'm not coming off as a big pusher. ;) Thanks for your reminder.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No rubber throwing here! lol It's an interesting prospective. I have a blog. It's a business blog. I use it solely to promote my SU business.

There are several reasons to blog. I started my family blog in 2004 to keep my family updated. But, my business blog is just that - business.

Maybe a lot of the blogs you are seeing run along those same lines. They are hyping up their stamps because they are excited about it and want to promote it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally hear what you're saying. There are several bloggers that I visit regularly who are on several design teams and while I love their work, they are really pushing the places they design for. For the most part, I look at the pics and skim to see what they used and then go from there. . .

Feel free to visit my bog cuz I'm not hyping any products up :-)

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

*throwing rubber*

Just kidding. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to duck. :-) I'm one who appreciates links, too - saves time searching.

I don't blog but I enjoy looking at them. Seems to me that blogs exist for the blogger to express her thoughts, creativity and yes, maybe to sell stuff. And that's fine - who am I to ask that she tailor her expressions, creativity or motives to suit my tastes or preferences? It's her baby! If I enjoy the blog I check back, if not, I move on. I think it's cool that there are so many creative blogs from which to choose and I appreciate thay they share their 'pretty pictures', tips and tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Denise---I agree with you, I appreciate the creative aspect and i know that they would like to increase excitement in the stamps and stuff for the design teams they may be on, but sometimes i can be over the top! I love that the links are included(and have used those links often to the detriment of my pocketbook!), but there can't be that many stamps and things that i must run out right now to get!!!! Sometimes, it even works against some of the companies, in my case, at least. There is a certain stamp company that has the most adorable stamps, but, I am being urged on so many blogs to get these stamps, that i am almost(make sure you see the almost, LOL) thinking that i don't have to have it, if every one else has it! I realize that it is their blog and they can say whatever they want, but i think Denise is just giving a little constructive criticism and take it for what it is worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

I am so happy to see this expressed. I have had the exact same impression over the last 2 weeks.

I would have no problem with the mention of the companies they are designing or working for, but that is now the focus of the blog and not what they have created.

and yes, I know I don't have to look, just like I don't have to watch a tv commercial, but I started subscribing to blogs because it was different and didn't feel as tho I was being pitched to, just sharing another person's creativity.

If their use of the products is eye catching, I seek out the company--don't need to be instructed to.

I have deleted several of these blogs from my Google reader this week.

I will continue to read those blogs that present their ideas and let me know that the products are from a certain line or supplier without being overbearing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I for one have become addicted to blogs. I have also started one myself. I don't design for anyone but me... But I can appreciate what you are saying.

If I do happen to see all the "hype" about this company or that it's just depending on my mood. I either just scan over it, or if I feel the need I click on it.

Like the other's said, maybe just take a break for a bit.

Hugs,
Joani
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I love reading lots of different perspectives, now from my own point of view, I am on a couple design teams, one which is nearly finished, boo hoo, and another in the UK, but when I didn't put any details up, ie the products and where I got them from, I got people emailing me or leaving me comments about where I got them from, lol!!! so sometimes we can't win for trying if you get what I mean, I can see your point of view, but as a few others have said, I ignore what I don't want to read etc, don't find it annoying YET but just love looking at the card designs and if what they are using interests me then I have a closer look.

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Interesting thread! I myself have never been put off by people including the information on where to get products (I do this on my blog and I do it with a lot of the products I use) mostly because it saves people from having to contact me to ask where to find these things.

If this irritates you, I do apologize but I know it helps a lot of people in finding stores (etc) that carry what has been used in the samples.

Information is just there--take it or leave it. But I can understand if you feel that the information is thrown in your face. I haven't experienced that feeling but perhaps it is just the best thing for you to not visit those particular blogs or just try to ignore it.

(Unless, of course, you are talking about my blog!!! haha!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a blog happy person, I just want to thank all bloggers for sharing all they do. I tend to be a visual one and just look at the beauty of the creation. If it grabs me then I read all about it. I love the fact that all the information I want and then some usually is included. My absoulute thrill is those bloggers who take the extra time and make up tutorials for us all to see. Blows my mind at the work anyone does just to keep up a blog. I just wanted to come in and say Thank you thank you to all bloggers for the work you share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Like Sillybird said, if the blog doesn't have deets about what/where/how much something is, most likely the viewers will bombard with questions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing....

I know I cannot even have a VERBAL conversation about something I made that didn't include where I got such and such and how much it cost... If I can't do that in a normal convo, then it's a sure bet my blog will be the same way. Providing the details is just a time saver, because if you don't, you'll have 1000 people emailing or commenting to provide the info, anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am guilty of just looking at pictures instead of actually reading blogs. Is that what all those words are for?? lol
If something catches my eye, I go back and read to find out what it is, what the blogger thinks about it, and where I can buy it.
I am guilty of promoting things on my blog, but some are not even companies that I design for, or sold by them! I just love finding products that people may not have heard of (ie. Glimmer mist!) and sharing it with others. It's just my personality I guess. If I find a great new laundry detergent, I'm going to make my mom smell my shirt and tell her she needs some. I think some of it is just natural word of mouth, it just seems stronger cause it's in writing. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #20  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I think bloggers (especially some of the popular enablers ) get a ton of emails regarding some of the products they use. If they tell you what it is and provide a link for you, they might be doing it to cut down on the number of emails they get. Just a thought!!!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

I guess I tend to view it a little differently, but I can completely understand where your points are coming from. The difference with blogs is that the designer can promote who they want without worrying about violating TOU of great sites like this one. Before blogs, all of this promoting was all on message boards, and that's even more annoying!

I think that after you visit a blog a few times, you can sense what it is going to be like. Once you have that sense, you can either skim it for pure inspiration or take it off your bookmark list altogether!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could have written this very post! It's not linking to company sites that bothers me, it's the infomercial way it's done. I've removed blogs from my daily reading because of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:18 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I get what you are saying, Denise. There is a difference between giving a link for a product used and an endless stream of "Did you hear? Go buy this now! You need it!" etc. I also agree with "it's their baby..." I tend to breeze through the blog if I don't want to read all the hype and just check out the creation.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

I can always count on you Denise to have a fun blog question! lol. I honestly have never even noticed all the promotion. I promote on my blog but I am not a designer for any company or a demonstrator. I just do it to help out my viewers. I know that lately I have encouraged many to buy a Cricut and I don't reap any rewards for doing that. Too bad because I would be a millionaire if so!

Have fun with your blog reading but do it the way you like. If you are getting bugged by certain blogs then stop visiting them for awhile. I go in spurts. Sometimes I don't visit the very popular blogs for awhile because there are so many new and great blogs out there. I think there are many that are very talented and just because some have a high rating in the Stamping top 50 that doesn't mean that they are better than others.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:36 AM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with those who posted about having to include links to preclude getting tons of request for info. It really is that way...if I don't put them in, I do get lots of requests...putting in the links saves me time.

I am on a number of design teams right now and do promote the stamps on my blog, but I try to keep the "gushing" to a bare minimum. My experience has been that if your projects are cute enough, you don't have to say "run right out and buy this set right now!!!" ;) I do see a lot of that on blogs, but it probably doesn't bother me as much as it does others, because, like Shannan, I don't always read everything on the blog unless I feel like it...some bloggers write better than others.

My basic approach is to produce great projects, put plenty of links in so people can click on them if they really want the info, then try to write something that you will enjoy reading, not just a sales pitch. But as a design team member, in exchange for my free rubbah, I do have to at least try to interest you in the stamps...it's part of my agreement with the companies I work for. When it comes down to it, though, I can't MAKE anyone buy rubber stamps from anywhere...that's still the reader's decision, not mine.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
No rubber throwing here! lol It's an interesting prospective. I have a blog. It's a business blog. I use it solely to promote my SU business.

There are several reasons to blog. I started my family blog in 2004 to keep my family updated. But, my business blog is just that - business.

Maybe a lot of the blogs you are seeing run along those same lines. They are hyping up their stamps because they are excited about it and want to promote it.
What Michelle said :-).

I tend to look at blogs the same way I look at any other free internet resource -- it's often not really free but supported by advertising. If the advertising gets to be so much that it overwhelms and distracts from the "good stuff" then I stop visiting the site for a while (or permanently). If enough people stop visiting, chances are the site owner will change the content.

But with blogs most often I can take a little puffery about various stamping companies because the projects posted are worth it. And I think the OP is probably right that when you surf in large blocks so that you are bombarded with the same "buy this" message over and over again on various blogs it seems worse than if you're reading one or two blogs here and there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

I just like to see new projects, especially cards. Like an above poster said, if the project is lovely, I will be more likely to buy something, not because it is talked up. The proof, to me, is in the project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I can see what you are saying. I think part of it is a lot of the newer stamp companies have constant "new releases" and every month we are bombarded with samples (usually very cute!) of the latest and greatest and it does come across as a little off putting.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as the blogger reveals on the blog somewhere that she or he is affiliated with a company, I do not mind products being promoted on the blog, especially when the content of the blogs are so fabulous.

There are a lot of design teams and a lot of folks are on several design teams. My issue is a little different -- these blogs are too good. It is literally overload to my senses to say nothing of my budget.

It is one reason why I'm thinking of going back to SU. Saved a lot of money by sticking almost entirely to one company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
I am guilty of just looking at pictures instead of actually reading blogs. Is that what all those words are for?? lol
You don't hang on my every word????...I am crushed...;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

We do hang on YOUR every word, Gina!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabsnelsonView Post
I think bloggers (especially some of the popular enablers ) get a ton of emails regarding some of the products they use. If they tell you what it is and provide a link for you, they might be doing it to cut down on the number of emails they get. Just a thought!!!!
That is EXACTLY why I link to as much stuff as I possibly can with every post - and if I can't link to it I at least say where I got it (if I can remember!!).

NO ONE pays me a dime for "advertising" their store/site by all the links I provide but I do it b/c when I first started stamping and then blogging it wasn't as easy as it is now to find all the cool embellies and stamps and whatnot. I had to hunt down everything and experiment with ordering from places I've never heard of (and ended up losing $$ that way here and there).

So now I link as a courtesy to my readers - and like others have said NO ONE is FORCING anyone to click - it's your choice.

I do at least try to just link in a normal manner - I don't tend to really hype everything up - if it's something I LOVE LOVE LOVE then yes I'll gush about it - but don't we all???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebraView Post
I could have written this very post! It's not linking to company sites that bothers me, it's the infomercial way it's done. I've removed blogs from my daily reading because of it.
My thinking too. Please include recipe and a link, but don't make it sound like an annoying commercial for a car sales lot.

That said, I spend entirely too much time reading blogs! (especially some of the ones listed in siggies up above my post )

Last edited by cmg.sweet; 11-29-2007 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Let me throw in my perspective. uh-oh... LOL!

I think there are degrees. On my blog, I am obviously promoting something. Just so that's clear. (Like I had to tell you that! LOL!) However, there is a difference between a blogger saying something like-

"I made this card using the new stamp set from XYZ company. I used orange and red card stock and added a few brads to add some interest, For the background I used the new snowflake folder by Cuttlebug. I'm really enjoying the many uses for this new set. You can make birthday cards, thank you cards, baby cards and so much more, so it's a great value. For a link to see the entire set, Click Here"

And a blogger who does this kind of thing-

"This is the greatest stamp set from XYZ Stamp Company. CLICK HERE I made it using orange and red card stock I got from HERE and then I added THESE BRADS that I got from ABC Stamp COMPANY, CLICK HERE! You can't live without this ribbon, CLICK HERE and for the other colors CLICK HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE. I just landed a position on my eight new design team for Silly Stamps! To see the latest from Silly Stamps , CLICK HERE. For their new stamps CLICK HERE, HERE and HERE."

I really appreciate the way my design team loves the products I send them. It makes me happy when they post examples of my stamps on their blogs and galleries. I appreciate the links too. That is one of the purposes of a design team. They help you promote your product by showing potential customers what can be done using your images, paper, etc...

But in reality, it hurts a company if a designer acts like the above example. It also hurts a company when a designer gets over-saturated with design teams.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about being a designer- choose a couple of companies that you really believe in and show others what they can do with those products. You don't have to be on 20 design teams to be "hot in the industry." What's hot to a stamp company is a designer's dedication to producing the best quality samples they can. If you are under the gun to produce 6 cards for 8 different companies every month, you barely have enough time to post them all and things start to overlap and it becomes a mess.

Just some food for thought. There is a very popular designer who is well-known and loved here on SCS. I approached her when I first started my company and asked her if she would like to join my team. She kindly declined because my style was little too much like a company that she was already representing and she felt that it would be a conflict for her and unfair to the other company. I have the utmost respect for that designer. It wasn't about adding another notch to her stamping bedpost. It was about integrity and loyalty to the company who gave her her first opportunity. I like that and so does every other stamp company owner out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Last edited by Gina K. Designs; 11-29-2007 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started a blog about a month ago. I'm not on any design teams, but I do gush about the things I love - I've been using a lot of Snowflake Serenade by Papertrey and I say that.

I gush about stuff because I like it. I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm not being paid to and since I don't know who's reading, I write it for myself. It's pretty much as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica'sMomView Post
We do hang on YOUR every word, Gina!
BWAHHHHH! Yeah...right. LOL!
;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Not being a Blog fan (any of them) I just by pass the link. What I dont like is when someone posts a card then directs them to your blog to see what the stamp or colors are. I by-pass those too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

THEIR blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

I hope I don't overly promote items on my blog however I created it specifically to function as my business website. So, it is the place where I do try to promote SU! items and encourage others to place orders for "my" product. I provide project ideas using SU! items and a variety of games/specials/challenges that involve my readers using SU! products. Once I get my act together, I will be promoting various classes by mail services as well.

I certainly don't mind if folks come for the ideas only, but my sole intent of having the site is to gain business and make money, so I will be promoting on my site Hopefully it will not be obnoxious promoting, but it will be promoting all the same.

It is a great point though that folks need to consider HOW they are getting their message across, or what the message is they are trying to convey with their site. Is it just for fun and to share what they are playing with or are they trying to get business for themselves or others. And readers should know that there are a lot of folks that aren't spending hours and hours creating and posting on their blogs purely out of the goodness of their hearts ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
You don't hang on my every word????...I am crushed...;)
You weren't supposed to READ THAT!!!

By the way, you were one of my very first blog subscriptions. Does that make it better? Back when I had time to read. lol
Reply With Quote Likes