Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Views or Comments

I have a question -- when judging whether or not I have a successful card, which should I go by -- views or comments?

Also, how do I get noticed? I don't have many SU stamps sets, mostly other brand names, so don't feel I can submit much in the way of your separate galleries. Just curious.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y'know that is a VERY good question!

I have always wondered the same thing.....

I tend to usually think that if I have a lot of comments that it is a good card.... but I know that sometimes the gallery commenting is SO INCREDIBLY SLOW sometimes that I could wait for FOREVER to make a comment, so sometimes (due to lack of time and impatience) I can't comment and have to move on... which really STINKS because I would love to comment more! EVERYONE is so fabulous!

Also, maybe they should make a sub section for non-su stamps so people can quickly go there if they want to see other designs from other companies....that is something you could or probably should ask the big D! about that one though...not sure about the responses on that.....

Anyway, I would suggest that you talk alot more and post your gallery under your signature... that is a sure way for people to take a peek at your gallery once they get to know you better! Ok, just a thought! Have a great day! :-)

Last edited by helen3mom; 07-02-2005 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #3  
too
Matboard Maniac

Wink

If you feel that your card is a success, then it is. Anything that was made with love and thoughtfulness cannot help but be a success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i tend to play on the forums by day and the gallery by night. i normally look at what has been posted in the past day and try to make a comment on some cards that don't have any. i think they are all wonderful but since there are so many cards posted everyday it is hard for everyone to post a comment. i seem to stay up lately so i can post comments when it's not so slow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady
I have a question -- when judging whether or not I have a successful card, which should I go by -- views or comments?
Neither. Go by how you feel about it. I don't view every day. When I do, I look at several pages and then stop even if I have't gotten through all the new ones. If I don't get to yours does that mean it isn't a good card? No. Also, when viewing I don't always comment and that has nothing to do with it being a good card or not. I'm just in "look" mode and don't have a lot to say. So, if I look at your card and say nothing, does it mean your card isn't good? Again, NO.

Stamp for the fun of it and design for your own eye. You will be happier that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I wondered that myself. nNw I know that there is no way anyone can post to all the cards they want to and still see what all was added that day. I love getting comments but I try to comment on at least five a day. There are many cards I really like but do not have time to comment - thus - IMO it is really nice to get comments but if you do not, it does NOT mean your card is not good!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I think you should submit your card whether Stampin!Up stamps are used or another company. I've submitted cards that did not use Stampin!Up stamps and have seen numerous cards that were stamped using other than Stampin!Up stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by too
If you feel that your card is a success, then it is. Anything that was made with love and thoughtfulness cannot help but be a success.
I agree.

I have 128 cards in my gallery. Most have comments, some have many comments. But the most special one to me and my DH has no comments.

It's his Father's Day card. He is very emotional about the holiday because he doesn't have any biological children and dearly wishes my son, his step-son, was his biologically. The card I made was titled True Blue, because that's him. People who never knew me before I was remarried are blown away that DH is a step-dad because he is that connected to my son. So, the card is special because it means so very much to DH that I acknowledge him on this holiday. My DH doesn't care about the comments the same way I do and was a little annoyed that I cared that it didn't have any comments. But he's right. And "too" is right. It was made with love and thoughtfulness and the card was a success with who it mattered the most... the receiver of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimestamper
Neither. Go by how you feel about it. I don't view every day. When I do, I look at several pages and then stop even if I have't gotten through all the new ones. If I don't get to yours does that mean it isn't a good card? No. Also, when viewing I don't always comment and that has nothing to do with it being a good card or not. I'm just in "look" mode and don't have a lot to say. So, if I look at your card and say nothing, does it mean your card isn't good? Again, NO.

Stamp for the fun of it and design for your own eye. You will be happier that way.
Way to go longtimestamper! I'm with you... What you said is so true - Do it cuz we love what we do. � I know we all work hard, and it would be only too awesome if we all could get the exposure we so desire. So... if you just have to get exposure - one thing that has made my stamping more fun is being a Secret Sister... You know you are making things that another stamp lover can appreciate. Hee hee Sounds silly but I really do get a lot out of making someone's day with a silly creation made by me. �

~*Becky*~
*My Gallery*
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate. Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #10  
PAPER SCAPER

So far I think everyone is right in the fact that it doesn't matter how many comments you get due to the time it takes to post them. I live in Michigan so we're ahead in time over two other time zones so early morning works well for me to make comments. Some cards I thought were my best didn't get much and some I almost didn't upload because I didn't care for it got lots of comments. So I wouldn't worry about the numbers if you really like the card.

As for using just Stampin Up in the gallery, I don't. I have stamps from all companies and I upload whatever I feel is good enough for someone else to get an idea from. And in looking for other companies in the gallery you can, all you have to do is type in for example 'Hero Arts' in the gallery search box and you'll get plenty of cards that used that companies stamps. I just did it and all the cards I used HA stamps on came up. So if the person listed the name like I do it'll come up for view. I hope that helps you with getting ideas for stamps other than SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I have always wondered that too. I am always looking for comments to my work, but I know that I am as guilty as the next gallery viewer...I don't always post to everything that I view. So, I would take any hits that you get to you piece as a compliment.

If you love your work and loved the journey to the finished product, then you have a great piece to share with everyone.

I'll check your gallery out AND leave some comments! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Sometimes I see absolutely wonderful cards that I don't comment on, simply because the gallery is running slow or I only have a few minutes to look through many cards. I feel guilty about that because I know how much work goes into making a card and I know people appreciate comments. But there is only so much time a person can spend on the site, so please know that lack of comments does not mean the card isn't great!

Like several have said, if you like it, then its a successful card. Just enjoy the creating and be proud of your work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 02:55 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Thank you everybody for posting on this thread and to my cards and for your kind comments!

I was just having this discussion with somebody close and thot I'd ask! I know there are gobs of cards and loads of wonderful ideas I'd love to persue here, but like that old saying "so many cards, too little time".

Have a great summer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I don't know if I would go by comments because for some reason everytime i try to leave a comment i have to sit there for like 5 minutes for it to actually go thru. Which there is alot of cards i just love but can't leave comments cause it would take me all night just to leave a few...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I look at the gallery almost every day. I click on 1 Day or whatever it is. I have never posted a comment. If I view a card it's because I think it's a pretty/good/creative/interesting card. I would go obviously by how you feel about your own card but I think the number of times it's viewed is good too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
Some cards I thought were my best didn't get much and some I almost didn't upload because I didn't care for it got lots of comments. So I wouldn't worry about the numbers if you really like the card.
This is exactly what I was going to say! I must have really bad taste when it comes to my own cards because the ones I almost didn't upload get the most comments! Happens all the time! It's true about the gallery being so slow sometimes that it takes all my break at work time just to comment on one card! It must be due to so many people looking and posting at the same time! I just love this site and will never be unhappy with sometimes being slow or the glitches we get sometimes! The admins and mods are always trying to make things better for us and I really appreciate all the work they do! sorry, ranting.....
Anyway, sometimes so many cards are approved at the same time that they end up on page 10 of the gallery! So I think this is another reason why sometimes there aren't as many comments on cards! All the cards in the gallery are so wonderful and everyone has so much to share that each card is special whether it has comments or views or not!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I agree with the idea that if you like a card enough to post it, then it shouldn't matter how many comments you get, or views. I have under 20 posted, mainly because I use lots of SCS ideas, and don't feel I make too many "original" cards. Not too many people comment on my cards, but I am just hoping it is lack of time and that the cards aren't THAT bad!! Thanks to those of you who took the time to comment on my gallery uploads. It does take lots of courage to post one's work, and the comments are always appreciated. But I know everyone is busy, and I, too, have been guilty of really liking a card, putting it into my favorites, and not taking the time to comment. :( I vow to do better!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Whe things get slow, I have a tendence to write down the user names and go to the card later. I did that all the time before I got my DSL. My slow dial-up drove me crazy. As for what cards are noticed, I've made cards that my DH has said "Wow, you'll get a lot of postings on that one" and got one. Don't be discouraged by number of posts or views. Like everyone's been saying, if you're happy that's all that counts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

Rush'd Lady, I just rushed into your gallery. All your cards are awesome. I am so impressed! I didn't comment on each one, as it would take me forever, but I want you to know they are all very nice!

;)

Have a happy stamping day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure either the views or the comments are always an accurate barameter of whether a card is a success! There are many, many awesome cards out in the galleries that have low views and no/few comments.

In my opinion it often seems to be as much a function of the time/date submitted as well as how fast the gallery is that day together with the WOW factor of the card!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, thanks, thanks for all your views and comments, here in the forum and on my gallery! Makes my day, for sure!

By the way, have you gone to each person's gallery who took the time to post on your card and comment on one of your favorite cards from their gallery? Esp. one that they have just posted. I've seen so many cool cards that way -- I looked in the new gallery card list the first day I was here and it was too overwhelming for me, but doing it this way makes it much more manageable. I'm also beginning to recognize some of my poster's "handles". Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Question

Do you bookmark just your favorite cards or your favorite stampers?
Reply With Quote Likes