Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Showdown Stamping vs. Scrapbooking

Just out of curiosity and because I can't remember if I've ever asked here before. How many of you gals scrapbook and stamp? If you don't do both why? They seem like such compatible hobbies but it seems as though people only do one or the other. Is it because of time or lack of photos? Or perhaps it's because you like to give your projects away or maybe it's because you like to keep them.

I'd also just like to give a shout out to those ladies that share scrapbook pages here on SCS I think that's awesome and I love seeing stamps incorporated in different ways on layouts. Hopefully someday I'll get around to working on some of my own. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

For me I only do cards because I get overwhelmed at the thought of filling a whole scrapbook page, and I know I would never finish an album. I can do a card fairly quickly, and it's done. The size of a card is the perfect canvas for me. I'm in awe of those gorgeous scrapbook pages I see, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I do cards for workshops and when I have to have a card for a birthday party or something. All my crafting time at home is spent scrappin'. I think I burned out on cards.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I do both Although I must say that i don't use stamps terribly much on the scrapbook pages ... but I think that tends to be because I've only been stamping a few months and I'm yet to build up a big inventory of stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started stamping in 1995 and stayed a stamper. I never got into scrapbooking as I'm too structured for it. Plus I don't have kids. I do scrapbook our vacations, but that is it. I'm 99% a stamper and plan to stay that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do both. I've been scrapping for about 8+ years now, but have only become really into stamping in the last year. I'm learning how to incorporate stamping into my scrapbook pages, but it's still a bit difficult for me to make it work.
I'd say I probably do more cards right now because a.) I don't often have a lot of time to play, and b.) it's so much easier to complete a little card than a huge scrapbook page!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I do both and love both! I go back and forth, when I feel scrappy, I might just scrap for weeks or even months, and then feel just cardy and go to the other extreme! Both a great stress-reliever. Plus, my kids feel so good when they see themselves on the page, it is great to be able to get out the books and read the journaling to them. They get them out and want Mom time, going through thier special books where I document how much I love them and how special they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I started stamping 9 1/2 years ago when my SIL had a D.O.T.S. party. After about a year my husband came home with a scrapbook mag. for me and said why don't you try this. I bet he wishes he had a time machine to go back and change that day,Bwaa Ha Ha Ha. I still do and love both, and spend way to much money (more thanks to all you enablers).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did bookbinding, illumination, and calligraphy as a hobby first, then took up stamping and cardmaking. I SWORE I would never, ever, not in a million years, take up scrapping because I'd never have time to keep up my calligraphy and illumination, which I was finally starting to get good at. (They take lots and lots of practice.)

Then I made a book to hold my second DS's photos from his first few months and thought, gee, I've got all these scrapping supplies, why not give it a try? When I finished that book, I knew calligraphy and illumination would suffer 'cause I would have NO time for them from then on. And I was right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I definately do both although I'm in more of a card and altered items mode right now. I still love both.
Proud Angel #3898
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:51 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Scrapbooking is what got me interested in stamping. With so many beautiful stamps available I went overboard hoarding like usual :rolleyes: and then I stumbled upon SCS and began my new addiction.

I guess since I am so new to stamping and card making, I'm finding it difficult to come up with nice LO's. I'm so used to using a 12x12 space that I feel like either my cards are too simple or too much is squished onto them.

I do love the fact that I can design a scrapbook page and with the left over papers I can make a matching card. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I do both, I started out scrapping. Then one day I got invited to a stampin up party, and then I was hooked. I also use my stamps in my scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I do and love both. I have some hostess who request for me to show off scrapbook pages. I also hold card nights and crops at my house every month. I also do make scrapbooks & pages as gifts. What can I say I really love doing both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a little intimidated by scrap booking, but I just ordered pictures of our Halloween pumpkins today, and might try to do a small Halloween scrapbook when I get them.

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I do both. I have to say, though, that my stamping/cardmaking has taken over the time I once had for scrapping all the time. I do still scrapbook, but not as often as I used to. I really need to get back to doing that. I've actually taken on some custom scrapbooking clients, so I don't see myself scrapping much of my own stuff in the near future.

I think for people that feel intimidated by big 12x12 scrapbooks, they should look into starting off with a 6x6 album. It's not much bigger than a card.....and all you do is the same as you'd do with a card and just add a photo. It's a great way to get started.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

My first Stampin Up party was a scrapbook page . . . which is what the hostess wanted the demo to show. I was hooked and bought all of the stuff to make my Christmas cards.

I have been stamping in my scrapbooks ever since. I would say I am primarily a scrapbooker but I do make a lot of cards also. I really do need to upload my pages. The ones currently in my gallery are not indicative of my normal pages . . . those were "fast pages" I did for some gifts I made for hubbies family.

Oh well . . . I'm rambling, but I hope I answered your questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also started as a scrapper. I started Stampin when I moved here & was invited to an SU! party by a neighbor.

Now I am hopelessly addicted to them both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I do both.

I stamped a little bit for Christmas cards, but never really got into it. I got into scrapbooking and got REALLY into it. Then REALLY got into stamping when I discovered SU. I have to say I am probably a 50/50 split on immersing myself into both, I like to do both, and I use techniques I learned for both on each type of project.

Oh and for crops I go to, I don't bring any stamps because it is usually a CM sponsored crop. I am okay with that, would be too much for me to carry anyway! But at home I do stamp on my scrapbook pages/use tags made with stamping, etc but make sure I use pigment ink, (zig brushables markers are great for stamps) not the Classic ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like making cards and gifts. I don't like making scrapbook pages. I tried--very hard--to like it. I just don't. I'm more of an instant grat girl, I guess. And, I like the idea of sending love from me to a friend in the snail. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I can't scrap I have try. It's too big of a canvas for me.

So I stay with Stamping. Making cards and gifts is what I really love to do.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I can't scrap I have try. It's too big of a canvas for me.

So I stay with Stamping. Making cards and gifts is what I really love to do.

Jean, have you tried doing a 6x6 album? Not much bigger than a card and all you have to do is stamp like you would with a card and then add a photo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMamaView Post
Jean, have you tried doing a 6x6 album? Not much bigger than a card and all you have to do is stamp like you would with a card and then add a photo.

No I haven't.

I had several women tell that on Saturday that I should start with a 6x album.

Now to find something to scrap......NO children, Just fuzzy children....Our Cat's. Sarge and Hobo.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Both

I started scrapping in earnest in 2000 when my daughter asked me to accompany her to a CM party. In 2004 I met a very nice SU demo and have been making cards as well as scrapbooking.

I really do like have the two compliment each other. I love the alphabet stamps as those sheets of letters were not satisfactory. Using up all the As, Es and other popular letters and left with useless letters. With stamps you can make as many of the popular letters as you need and never run out.

I have been keeping albums since I was in my teens and the oldest have the photo corners and the latter the magnetic types (switches those to CM and SU albums) and those you slip in the pictures.

I have well over 30 filled albums. That is what happens when you have a large family and love taking photos. Now I have over 100 sets of stamps as well as a great number of tools. It is an obsession.

One of my daughters is really into both as well so that helps.

My other daughter and sons not so much. The grandchildren showed an interest when much younger but now 3 are adults, one a teen and one 10. They use the stamps for school projects too. Gave them great marks for originality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
No I haven't.

I had several women tell that on Saturday that I should start with a 6x album.

Now to find something to scrap......NO children, Just fuzzy children....Our Cat's. Sarge and Hobo.
Kitties are the perfect subject to scrapbook for you then! I say give it a go and see what you think of it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I do both. I started off stamping cards first and only branched out into scrapbook pages about two years ago. I have to say that I LOVE doing both. I like the versatility of my stamps and the fact that I can use them fo making cards, gifts, scrapbook pages, altered frames or books, home decor, etc. I think that when you love a stamp set and you can use it for a variety of projects, it help justify the investment you make in that stamp set.

I faithfully began scrapbooking when I earned my first cruise with Stampin' Up! I was determined to complete a whole 12x12 scrapbook. It just so happened that it was my 20th wedding anniversary that year and it was the first time my husband and I had ever been away without the kids. It is amazing how many pictures I took during that one week) I have some of my samples in my gallery here on SCS, but I also have more scrapbook and other samples on my blog: www.learntostampandscrap.com if you would like to take a peak.

So, I don't think that stamping needs to be just making cards or just scrapbooking, you can do many paper craft projects with the supplies for both. Why not branch out and do many things with your supplies? I love doing a variety of items, especially this time of year. There is just something special involved when you make handmade items for yourself and for others!

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I made my first scrapbook at age 10. I won't give away my age, but Kennedy was President at the time. ;) It was photo corners, black pages, and "journalling" of funny little comments with a white pen on the black paper.

So, obviously I was a scrapper first. I started "stamping" when I bought a few stamps that I used to embellish scrapbook pages several years ago. I got the bug more when I was invited to a CTMH party at a friend's house.

The final shift from "using stamps" to "stamper" happened in the last year as a result of the influence of my friend Etha who is the most talented artist and crafter I know. We've been sharing and comparing through stamping, yarn (she knits, I crochet), lace making, tatting, cross-stitch, hardanger embroidery and I forget what else for many years. She introduced me to Cornish Heritage Farms and it's been "downhill", lol, ever since.

Now, I do both. They are two separate but related hobbies and, like cross-stitch and hardanger, can often combine for a great result.

I think that the real reason for my scrapping is my LOVE of pictures. I absolutely love having many, many pictures. That capture of a split-second of time, and the ability to really bring back the moment through an image, has always entranced me. Expanded into a scrapbook that tells a story or shares an entire experience, like a trip or an event, the pictures become even more valuable and meaningful to me. I can (and do!) look at a scrapbook countless times, always enjoying the experience.

I like stamping and making cards. It feels good to make a special card for someone, especially on a special occasion. It's much like needlework for me- I almost always give away anything I stitch or crochet. I really like the feeling of telling someone that they are important to me by making the effort to do something for them myself. I don't develop any "attachment" to things I make to give away, though, like I do with my pictures.

I guess I'd have to say that I enjoy stamping but I LOVE scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I am both! I use stamps on my scrapbooking pages- and I would say that I scrap on my cards. To me it is totally a mixed hobby~~~ I started off scrapping about 8 years ago- just to document everything my boys have done... particularly their school years. I have so many albums... but my boys love them and often help me design a layout....

http://vbontherun.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I was a scrapper first. I went to a SU! party with a friend and got hooked on stamping and became a card maker. Previously I had only stamped (heat embossed) my thank you cards for my wedding. They were pretty plain. I do both and incorporate stamping into my scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
I do both Although I must say that i don't use stamps terribly much on the scrapbook pages ... but I think that tends to be because I've only been stamping a few months and I'm yet to build up a big inventory of stamps.
Ditto for me! I started out making cards (without stamps), then found scrapbooking. Now I do both. When I stock up on flourishes, etc, I'm going to incorporate more stamping in my scrapbooks.

Canadians! Visit the Canadian Stamping Forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I do both. But I tend to make more cards than SB pages. SBing is more of a social activity that I need to prep for whereas stamping I just head into my stamp cave and have at it.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Scrap and stamp, I began scrapbooking and someone invited me to a SU party 4 yrs ago. Have been trying to use stamping on pages. Did one last night that I just loved. Find the cards help me think more of what I can do with a page. I love the sketch challenges. Those help too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm both. Started as a scrapper 4 years ago, but always coveted stamps (and collected them but never used them). Then when SU! launched in NZ it was just too good an opportunity to miss. Now I lvoe stamping and at the moment primarily cardmake, but I still love my scrapping.

I call myself a papercrafter cos I am happy doing anything with paper. I love the instant gratification that making a card gives, but also like the extra challenge of scrapbooking - not to mention the love of photos and being able to record my childrens lives.

Mag
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

I am both a scrapbooker and stamper. I take a million pictures and love to see my life story recorded and my families. I use stamps a lot on my pages, the words are great to use.

Glad they go so well together since I've invested a fortune into both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I love the instant gratification of cardmaking and the pleasure of giving cards to others.

I love scrapbooking and photography and having an interesting way to showcase the photos and journaling for them.

I don't stamp as much on my layouts as I do on the cards but my stamps always get used in some way for both. I tend to switch back and forth between cards, layouts and mini books. Love em all!

Because I enjoy it all...I'm way to busy to ever get bored. I just wish there were more hours in the day LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I've scrapbooked for almost 11 years now and became an DU demo a year and a half ago. I love making cards but I feel that putting my pics in albums is very important. When my Grandma died 6 years ago we found a bunch of old pics in her house that were not labeled. We have no idea who the people in the pictures are and unfortunately the people that are still living don't either (they are on Grandpa's side though so it makes sense that they don't know) It's really an unfortunate thing!
I have 2 kids and I want them to know their heiritage and have lots of pictures (that are organized) to remember family events and traditions!
I make time for scrapbooking to keep up on their albums so I don't get too far behind!
I love SU and making cards too though!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I do both although I spend a lot of timing stamping and am behind on my scrapping (2006 is not finished and here it is almost the end of 2007). After all the Christmas cards and Christmas packets I make as gifts, I'll have to try to catch up on 2006.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #37  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I do both. However, being single I don't do nearly as much scrapping as I do stamping. I generally don't stamp in my scrapbooks as I have yet to acquire any craft ink. I also don't post my pages because I am uncomfortable with posting my picture in a public forum that is easily searchable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for sharing ladies. It's interesting to see different opinions about the two. I love both and have many times run up against someone who says they will only do one or the other. Which always surprises me because they seem to complement each other so well. I was looking at a few Close to My Heart catties and I really enjoyed seeing the layouts. A lot of them I would alter to have a lower amount of patterned papers but they are well put together. I'm always surprised that this board doesn't attract more scrapbookers and was just wondering if there were scrappers and stampers here. It appears that there are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do both. I started scrapping about 5 years ago and then stamping over 2 years ago. I love both of them. I always make my cards and everyone that receives loves them. In fact, this friend of mine called me last night to thank me for the card. She lives in Michigan and I in Florida. We have known each other since we were 7 years old. Both of us have grown children now. So, for her to pick up the phone and call me tells me that the card is a very special thing for her.

Anyway, CTMH are great stamps and so are SU. Autumn Leaves has a great book titled "Designing with Stamping". It is a great resource for incorporating stamps into your scrapbooking. Also, check Technique Tuesday and their website. Great ideas!!

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm mainly a cardmaker with a few little gifty things thrown in.

I'm a one or two pictures to a page Scrapbooker and honestly it just takes up too much space to do it that way. I can't seem to do it any other way.

My passion is in cardmaking.
Reply With Quote Likes