Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Poor Canadians

I seen some where a thread for Canadians to write to SU about the exchange problem. I really wish they would do something about the pricing right now, we get money back on our exchange for US dollars. I lOVE SU stuff, wish I had it ALL but man come on--we all ready pay more for our things and now it really seems to bite. I realize that it can change but it hasn't for a while and even when the book was being made our dollar wasn't that bad to begin with!Maybe they can think of something for Canadians only like maybe a free stamp set [I can dream can't I] but you get my drift.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have no intention of ordering anymore Canadian SU! stuff while the dollar is so high. It's just ridiculous. I can get my gf in the states to order it and ship it to me and it ends up MUCH cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Wish I had that option SeikasHaven, but most of us don't. So what can we do/say about it so that someone will hear us and take us seriously
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

You can write and e-mail all you want but the bottom line is..there will be no favours from Stampin up. I personally feel that if anyone in that organization gave a toss we would have had something done a long time ago!!! A percentage off (like they do for monthly specials) would be a beginning. I really like SU product but don't think I will be purchasing anything until they do something about the exchange....and that makes me sad. But it is the principal of the thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I agree .. I had placed a order with my demo for $178.00 cdn .. but I am going to wait to see what happens .. our $ is better and so SU should show that in their pricing !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

With the majority of large retailers in Canada currently renegotiating with vendors to lower prices for consumers I think that we'll eventually see prices come down with some smaller companies as well. I'm hoping that includes SU, but I honestly have my doubts. We'll never see parity because of high tax rates of running a business in Canada, but it sure would be nice to see them come down somewhat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have e-mailed and gotten no response. Very frustrating! I was thinking that SU should have some sort of deal for the Canadian customers as well. Not just and "if you buy $40+...you can have $5.00 off" but "20% discount for our Canadian customers during the month of November...." Perhaps this would make us a little happier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Thumbs up

Let's all get together and protest dammitt (lol) where does everyone live .. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

The demo's were just notified that they are honestly looking into the issue..but at the same time they're not giving us any real info either. We can assume that the price will be adjusted for the new catty in January, but I'm with you on doing something for us now.
Send those emails ladies, they've all heard from the demos it's time to hear from the customers too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

That would be a start, buy I'll like to start now!! I belong to a stampers 10 and regularly spend about $125.00 [I know I'm stupid but I want some stuff and really it's not much just new c/s pads and reinkers and punches I have only bought 2 stamp sets since the new book and that's been hard to do!] So who do we e-mail?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Hi inege just got on the site Join the Stamping Canadians do I sign in with my SU name and number? and if so when I log on do I go to SU site or here? {in which case I use a new name and number}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think it is totally unfair to both the Canadian demos as well as the customers. I'm not a demo, just a great customer and I like to support my demo, but really, the demos are going to lose customers...there is always someone willing to ship to Canada. I wrote a letter to SU just before the new catalogue came out in July and got a standard issue cost of doing business letter. I'm hoping things will change.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to step in here ladies and tell you that the cost of doing business in canada is very high. It is not the fault of SU it is the Canadian Government and their tax system and how they want international businesses to work in Canada. I would love to pay lower prices myself for products but if you think about it we have alot here in Canada because of those high prices. Ask anyone from the States just how much their medical insurance is. I know it will not make any of you feel better with any explanation of costs of doing business, but since there is not alot of ladies jumping in here and trashing SU's pricing I am thinking that most of us will continue to still purchase from our Canadian demos because we simply love the product.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Not trashing Lorri.V. but there has been a lot of companies lowing pricing on items, in southern Ont and close to the border. As I stated earlier I love SU stuff and please the cost of doing business in Canada may be high but what about other companies and stores that have a base store in Canada and are adjusting pricing. There was another thread before that I read and believe me the complaints were plentiful there, but the general idea was that people had complained but just got a standard reply and that nothing was going to be done about it. Believe me they know that we will still buy and do the Canadian -nothing but ***** about it. [I just bought some scalloped punches from a lady in London and they were cheaper then the last bunch I bought]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

uh... retail prices in canada have NOTHING to do with our medical services plan. it has to do with "fair trade" agreements, and agreements made with other countries etc.. for example, canadian companies pay 18% tax on everything from China whereas the US pay nothing (trade agreements from wars etc)... duty is what this so-called "cost of doing business in canada" is all about..
so let's say we, the consumers expect the US price plus 18% (a common duty charge). on a $20 US stamp set, that would be $23.60. we are NOT seeing those kinds of prices here. we are seeing $20 US vs. $35 Canadian. (Which would be 75% duty... haha!!)
It is all about corporate greed, in my opinion. they've gotten used to the $$ they've been raking in on account of our good dollar, and it's about time we start taking our business elsewhere. I haven't purchased a SU! stamp set from a Canadian demo since this new catty came out with the inexcusable price difference. they've lost my business....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debra HoggView Post
Wish I had that option SeikasHaven, but most of us don't. So what can we do/say about it so that someone will hear us and take us seriously
I am sure if you posted here for one There would be ATLEAST 1 demo from the US that is willing to help you! Never hurts to try...........

SU! Is launched in other countries aside from USA and Canada. Can you imaging what the UK pays for their stuff!!! I am sure I can. But you dont really hear them raving so much. KWIM.
Its a Business they are gonna make money where they can. And I am sure they think well if these ppl dont order oh well someone else will. KWIM

Last edited by ScrapNStampinMama; 10-24-2007 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=ScrapNStampinMama;7539483]I am sure if you posted here for one There would be ATLEAST 1 demo from the US that is willing to help you! Never hurts to try...........

Ummm....as far as I know, a US demo selling to a Canadian customer and vice-versa is illegal, is it not?- please correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that is a big NO-NO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #18  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it's not just SU products that have the unfair pricing.. As another poster said, it's got a lot to do with corporate greed. I think retailers have become so accustomed to having a huge difference between the US price and the Cdn price that retailers take it for granted that we will do so.

However, a few retailers are beginning to slash prices at their stores - and I think we will see that trend continue. Personally, I know this sounds horrible, but if I can get an item cheaper in the US via an online store - well, I'll purchase it there. My brother just purchased a Volvo of some sort in the US as he could get it there cheaper... As long as our dollar stays strong, I think we are going to see prices come down here in Canada.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Overseas pricing just sucks.

Anyway, how does THIS grab ya?

SU is coming to Germany. The demo kit costs 225 Euro,which at todays exchange rate is $330.75 US DOLLARS.

How about Mixed Bouquet listed on the demo kit order form? 43.95 Euro...ready for this?? $64.60 USD and Seeing Spots....23.95 Euro.... $35.20 USD

I was excited to hear they will be coming over here...(yes I'm an American) but how fun would it be to have some German sayings for cards? Sorry, not at those prices...that didn't even include shipping!

OUCH!!

That.is.just.nuts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I think retailers have become so accustomed to having a huge difference between the US price and the Cdn price that retailers take it for granted that we will do so.
It isn't the retailers who are benefiting financially from the Canadian and US dollars being near parity -- it's the suppliers. Retailers' pricing is based on what they can negotiate with the suppliers. Smaller businesses that are offering their products for US prices (ie. books, greeting cards, magazines, and other items marked with both US and Cdn prices) are doing so at a loss and with the philosophy that it's better to have customers paying less than have no customers at all. Large businesses like Zellers and Wal Mart Canada have some clout with the suppliers and have been able to force lower prices from their vendors that Zellers and WM then pass on to the consumer.

I've got no idea if SU uses different suppliers for their US and Canadian products or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At least you Canadians get easy access to the SU! stamps in French!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Please excuse my ignorance - but don't we already pay the PST/GST plus the shipping on our orders anyway? Are there other 'taxes' that are being spoken of that SU is responsible for? TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Reality Check:

Stampin' Write Markers
$132.95 US

OR

$187.95 CDN

Really does it cost that much more to operate in Canada? This is one of the sticker prices that still shocks me. I just ordered my markers for the CDN price and it is so upsetting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I have my faves as far as on-line shopping which is how i do most of my shopping..there are a lot of cnd friendly sites..i buy my cs from su as it is the best..i get my cs base white from staples Domtar..250 sheets for 16.00..very nice stuff..i have colored etc. on it..np..
I love, love the variety of stamps i can get on line..and the fact that i can get 4 very different stamps for the same price as 1 set from su.. i also have my faves (stamp sets ) from su..3 sets is all i own.
Now that our $ is par or worth more..some parts of the states are charging us to exchange our money there..even though it means more business for them.. I have been changing my $ here..
I had to get my demo to get me Classic trucks..as we never carried it in our catty..
And yes i know we have french stamps and the states doesn't..but they are available on other sites i'm sure..i love classic cars and trucks..and wish we would have had them..
And wow!! what a difference in Krysta's: quote of the cost of the markers..
Thats unbeleivable...loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not thrilled with the US prices, so I can understand how infuriating the CDN prices must be to you all.

This is why I'm demoing for The Angel Company. Better prices for me. Plus I like their images. I don't think TAC is available for Canada yet. Maybe soon! Who knows.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Here's the thing: the cost of doing business in Canada is NOT that much higher. That is just a blatant excuse. As a business owner in both Canada and the States- there are certainly differences (taxes, levy's etc.) but the current exchange rate which is expected to continue or rise for some time... makes a huge difference! And my sister in the UK DOES harp on about the prices, but since there aren't as many international SU customers on SCS they don't bark quite as loudly!

I love SU product. I think it's high quality and has great versatility and selection, but I am not willing to pay an arm and leg for it. Everyone has an option of buying SU product from the States. There are ALWAYS demos who are willing to do it. If it is frowned upon by SU! then they need to do something about the unfair pricing and I would be happy to buy here in Canada. Truly, I feel bad for my demo because she's just as ticked off about the pricing and SHE'S losing customers over it.
I will be sending an email to SU! about it, and I'm sure that it will not accomplish anything (I await my standard response letter).

I honestly don't feel as though there are many options for Canadian SU customers- either you pay the ridiculous amount, get your product through the States or use other more Canadian-friendly companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I won't get into the whole "taxes/duty" issue as there is validity in almost every statement made by the posters in this thread, but I have also stopped purchasing anything other than cardstock from SU! in Canada. The prices are insane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

You're not alone in that...sadly, there are many Americans who have done the same. (me personally....and NOT because I'm a TAC demo. I LOVE SU stamps still but have not bought ONE set since this catalog came out.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I agree with Jazzytobi it is corporate greed. I wrote a letter to SU giving them my opinion stating that at the very least they should have kept last years prices for Canadians stating that it would have been a "nice" thing to do since our dollar has increase in value. SU replied stating that it was the cost of doing business in Canada. I replied asking them to outline that cost stating that we could lobby our gov't to make some changes.......did not get a reply back. I wonder why? There is no real extra cost.

I love SU stuff but I have bought very little from them this year. We now have a local scrapbook store . I will buy there and from other places. Until we the consumer stop buying from them things will not change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #30  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
It isn't the retailers who are benefiting financially from the Canadian and US dollars being near parity -- it's the suppliers. Retailers' pricing is based on what they can negotiate with the suppliers. Smaller businesses that are offering their products for US prices (ie. books, greeting cards, magazines, and other items marked with both US and Cdn prices) are doing so at a loss and with the philosophy that it's better to have customers paying less than have no customers at all. Large businesses like Zellers and Wal Mart Canada have some clout with the suppliers and have been able to force lower prices from their vendors that Zellers and WM then pass on to the consumer.

I've got no idea if SU uses different suppliers for their US and Canadian products or not.

To some extent I agree - retailers purchase their stuff in advance - so - as the retailers tell me - they have set their prices months in advance. In particular I think of books, and Indigo/ Chapters in Canada. I cannot believe the disparity between US prices and Canadian books - it's right on the cover . I think Indigo / Chapters are quite a large retailer . I think they could afford to drop their prices.. I work as the librarian for my church and purchase a lot of books for our library every month ( besides the fact that I just plain love to read ! ) . I have been buying from an online book supplier for the past couple of years that is based in the US - and the prices are so MUCH better I will not purchase in a Canadian store. However, I have noticed that books and children's DVD's have dropped sharply in at least one fairly large Christian bookstore since the near parity of the dollar - and so I am willing to purchase from a Canadian store. I don't mean to imply that because they are Christian bookstores that there isn't corporate greed - but when I see their prices come down - and they are relatively small stores - I know the rest of the stores - like Chapters - could be dropping there prices too.

I don't think I buy Chapter's line that - oh , but we negotiated the price 6 months ago - otherwise how can this smaller store be beginning to drop their prices??? This smaller store isn't dying - it's about the biggest and busiest Christian bookstore around me.

Last edited by debzi333; 10-25-2007 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

You can't use the current exchange rate to compare how much something in Europe costs. That doesn't mean that someone in Germany is spending the equivilent of $330 in Euors. Currency is a tricky thing and just because it fluctuates, doesn't mean an entire country's economy has changed. Just because it would cost me $2 to one UK pound instead of $1.60 three years ago doesn't mean prices of products have made that leap. Its all perceived worth and complex calculations made by a few people who are financial gurus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_tacstamperView Post
Overseas pricing just sucks.

Anyway, how does THIS grab ya?

SU is coming to Germany. The demo kit costs 225 Euro,which at todays exchange rate is $330.75 US DOLLARS.

How about Mixed Bouquet listed on the demo kit order form? 43.95 Euro...ready for this?? $64.60 USD and Seeing Spots....23.95 Euro.... $35.20 USD

I was excited to hear they will be coming over here...(yes I'm an American) but how fun would it be to have some German sayings for cards? Sorry, not at those prices...that didn't even include shipping!

OUCH!!

That.is.just.nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASHView Post
Ummm....as far as I know, a US demo selling to a Canadian customer and vice-versa is illegal, is it not?- please correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that is a big NO-NO.
What about a trade? Would it be legal for someone like me (NOT a demo) who wants French SU! sets to buy American SU! sets for a Canadian, and for a Canadian (who is also NOT a demo) to buy the French SU! sets that I want, and then we ship each other's wish list to each other? This is assuming each wish list is about the same amount of money taking the exchange rate into account. This way the traders are not selling to or paying each other - it would be a pure trade.

IF this is okay, would it be okay to list the goods as "gift"???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

It is a deplorable situation that they excuse by shrugging their shoulders and saying "cost of doing business in Canada" which is total BS.

We all like the stuff and most of us buy it but I can tell you I would buy a LOT more SU if prices were more on par, and I wouldn't have such resentment.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
What about a trade? Would it be legal for someone like me (NOT a demo) who wants French SU! sets to buy American SU! sets for a Canadian, and for a Canadian (who is also NOT a demo) to buy the French SU! sets that I want, and then we ship each other's wish list to each other? This is assuming each wish list is about the same amount of money taking the exchange rate into account. This way the traders are not selling to or paying each other - it would be a pure trade.

IF this is okay, would it be okay to list the goods as "gift"???
Sign me up and I'll go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 03:07 AM   #35  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Sopie - I don't see why it wouldn't work. The demo is selling only to someone in their country, so they are not doing anything wrong. Once you've paid for the set, what you do with it is entirely up to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

I'm wondering if SU will see a drop in their sales to Canada since this new catalogue came out. The last few years I have spent hundreds of dollars on SU stamps, but with this new catalogue and the high Canadian prices, I havent bought too much. Sounds like others are the same. Maybe if their sales have gone down (which means their bottom line will have gone done), they will realize that they have to do something to get these customers back and buying more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

I know that I haven't bought as much. Paper and the new in-color inks but that's about it. Sad really because there are a lot of things in there that I would like to have. Instead I've found a lot of great online stores and discovered stamps that I really, really love. I've found that I can find a similar set to rival pretty much any of SUs sets and even factoring in shipping and duty I'm still coming out ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

Default Cdn $ opened today at $1.04 US

With our dollar doing better and better and the lack of response from Stampin Up, my purchases have dropped sharply. I have limited myself to almost only paper and only because I have an obligation to a stamper's club. Otherwise I would look elswhere. (I mention a lack of response, as I wrote them an email when the new catalog came out and they first sent a form reply and them didn't respond to my followup with specific question. Made me feel like my business was unimportant to them.) I do hope they make the appropriate adjustments.

Also, to commrnton the Euro prices being seen, I am a Canadian living in Germany right now and I will say that most everything here is much pricier than we would see in North American, so the Stampin Up prices don't surprise me too much. I would point out that the VAT is incorporated into every sticker price you see and for example, the VAT in Germany is 19% and I believe the same in the Netherlands.

AMber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

I totally agree with you girls. My friend who is a SU Demonstrator told me they just got word that the prices in the next Canadian Stampin Up Catalogue are going to drop. By how much, we shall see, but it definatley needs to be more than a buck or two. I love the products but the price tag does hurt the pocketbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

it's not illegal to buy american stampin up products as opposed to canadian stampin up products, says who? sure they frown upon it but no one ever said it was illegal. I mean didn't we negotiate free trade in the Americas. I mean look at what some people use to do when they bought their cars. They went to the states to buy them because they are cheaper there , but same quality as we would get here, now that more people are doing it the companies are starting to frown and are trying to block people from buying cars by saying they will not honour their car warranties if bought in the states and other mean tactics like that. This is because they are loosing their bottom line MONEY.
You'd think that they would get wise and fix this before it puts a sour taste in the consumers mouths and not buy from stampin up. I mean there are a lot of competition now a days and some are amazing where you could get 8- 9 stamps if not more in one set and good quality as well. Companies better start realizing that brand loyalty will no longer mean anything if companies screw with their loyal followers.

Last edited by josh's mommy; 11-07-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes