Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Nestabilities Cuttlebug learning the hard way!

Well I tried my Nestabilities tonight for the first time. That was a learning experience! I followed the Nestabilities/Cuttlebug sandwich list that Ellen H has posted. Only problem was that I did not know which side was "blade side up". Is it the one with the ridge or the smooth side of the die? I'm still not sure. The first time I tried it ridge side up. I ran it through the Cuttlebug and it didn't cut the paper but die ended up very firmly embedded in my B plate. ARGHHHHH! After some work with my craft knife I managed to get it out.

Try #2, I put the die smooth side up won top of the paper I wanted to cut. I ran it through and it cut this time but it also stuck in my B plate - just not as firmly.

Try #3, I put the Nestability in smooth side up over my paper but I put in 2 layers of cardstock this time. Worked like a charm and didn't stick in the B plate. Success!

What are your experiences? What am I doing wrong? Which side is really blade side up on the dies?

TFS!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for posting this...I really want to order the Nestabilities, but am waiting for reviews w/ the bug...so hoping others will post their experiences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 03:59 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use my cuttlebug with the Nestabilities and I put the die, smooth side down (ridged side up) and then my card stock and then the other plate. This is what was posted on Nicole's (Papertreyink) blog for sandwich recipe with the cuttlebug:

---> Cuttlebug�

Capabilities
With the Cuttlebug, you can both cut and emboss Spellbinders Embossing Dies. Results are beautiful (see a photo tutorial below)

How-To
Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. A plate
2. C plate
3. Spellbinders die face up (rough side up)
4. Paper or cardstock
5. B plate

Run through Cuttlebug machine.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Cuttlebug- (Stack from bottom up)
1. A plate
2. B plate
3. Die face up (with die cut (cardstock) still in die)[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
4. 3 pieces of cardstock
5. 1 Spellbinders tan polymer mat
6. 2nd B plate

Run through Cuttlebug machine[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']HTH[/FONT]

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #4  
lfw
Kookie Creator

Default B plates

I have been cutting and embossing the classic rectangles with the Cuttlebug...so far 2 B plates have broken.

Just wish one of the B plates can be made just like A...a little sturdier.

SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I used the cuttlebug "recipe" by Nicole and it worked great for die cutting. My tan polymer mat is on back order until November and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using a substitute of some kind for embossing in the cuttlebug. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

They say to use the polymer mat , it doesnt help?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wonder if the plumbers gasket/shower pan liner would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I need to try again. I suspect it was "user error" when I put together my sandwich. Eventually I did get it right but I'll have to do it several more times before it becomes second nature.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Nestabilites In Cuttlebug

I've been using the rectangle dies in the Cuttlebug using Nichole's recipe. Every time, the die was embedded into the top plate (B) and I had to pry it out (except for when cutting Fun Foam). I've made probably 30-40 passes through the machine and nothing has broken. It was surprising to me to find the die stuck into the B plate, but maybe that is why the Cuttlebug brand dies have that foamy stuff on them (to keep them from getting stuck). Anyway, use the die with the ridged side up and flat side down and your paper you want to cut on top. They really are very nice dies! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 05:23 AM   #11  

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, mine always stick too. I just hope that doesn't harm or dull them in any way. Time will tell, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granthammomView Post
I've been using the rectangle dies in the Cuttlebug using Nichole's recipe. Every time, the die was embedded into the top plate (B) and I had to pry it out (except for when cutting Fun Foam). I've made probably 30-40 passes through the machine and nothing has broken. It was surprising to me to find the die stuck into the B plate, but maybe that is why the Cuttlebug brand dies have that foamy stuff on them (to keep them from getting stuck). Anyway, use the die with the ridged side up and flat side down and your paper you want to cut on top. They really are very nice dies! Good luck!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #12  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't yet tried my new Nestibility dies (received this week from Ellen's store) because I'm scared And this thread isn't easing my mind.

I would suspect that the dies are sticking because the stack is too thick? Is that possible?

I love my Cuttlebug, but I know that they aren't precision made machines, so each one has a different spacing (even if very minor) for the plates -- which is why some stacks work for us and not for others.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:59 AM   #13  
Yorkshire Tea Mingler
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Subscribing
My SCS Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I hope I can ease your minds in my answers to you.

The dies do not dull after sticking into the mat, they are made to cut and this is normal. You might try putting a little baby powder on the mats, when using the Wizard machine this helps. Once in awhile my dies will stick, but usually I can just pull the paper that is sticking out from under the die and it will pop off. If I'm using a small piece of paper that the die totally covers and the die embeds in the mat, I just take another die, put it under the edge of the embedded die and it pops right off.

The rough side of your die is the cutting edge, put your paper directly onto the rough side when die cutting.

You cut in one pass, then in the second pass you emboss with the following sandwich for a Cuttlebug.

A plate,
B plate
die face up
paper
rubber mat
2-3 pieces of regular cardstock (to shim)
2nd B plate on top

PLEASE NOTE - if you are making a card, such as an edgeability card and have the card wrapped around the die, you would only add 1-2 pieces of cardstock to shim because you have an extra layer of cardstock within the project. If you put too much paper in, you will break your B plate.

If you have more questions, I'll try to answer them for you!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Thank goodness I came upon this thread! I used my Nestabilities for the first time last night and had to use a knife to get my die out of my B plate the first couple of cuts. I kept re-reading my notes from Ellen Hutson and Nicole Heady's blogs, but I had the stacks built correctly.
I did notice that the die was a little easier to get off the plate after I used it a bit more. I will try using my embossing buddy on the plate next time.

Thanks for the tips!

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Subscribing.....just got my dies yesterday and I am itching to play. Tomorrow can't come soon enough

My SUO Blog~Merry Stamps
My blog~ Merry Musings

Do you love Tastefully Simple?? Click HERE for fabulous recipes and to browse the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

The only 'problem' I've had with my dies and Cuttlebug is the die sticking into the B plate when cutting. It does pop right out, however. I will definitely be trying some powder on the B plate to avoid that. I'm very pleased with the cuts and especially the touch that embossing gives it. One of these days I'll invest in the Wizard so it's done in one pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #18  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

subscribing too! I have used the oval embossing dies with my Cuttlebug but I have not had any problems with the dies sticking to the plates nor plates breaking. I am curious if everyone is getting a good embossed impression using the Cuttlebug. I have purchased the tan polymer mat and am using 3 pieces of cardstock to shim and the impression just doesn't seem to be too deep.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one whose dies are sticking in the B plate. It has not been too bad the last few times and I can get it to pop right out. My B plate is pretty scarred up from other adventures but it has not broken yet. I do think these dies are just the coolest! I can cut through 2 layers of cardstock (at least) and I've noticed I also get a very slight embossing too when I do that. I don't have my tan wizard mats yet, but can't wait to try out the embossing for real.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post
The only 'problem' I've had with my dies and Cuttlebug is the die sticking into the B plate when cutting. It does pop right out, however. I will definitely be trying some powder on the B plate to avoid that. I'm very pleased with the cuts and especially the touch that embossing gives it. One of these days I'll invest in the Wizard so it's done in one pass.
Chocoholic - The Spellbinders dies need two passes in the Wizard too. This gives you the option to cut first, then emboss in any way that you want! Thats the beauty of the dies!

For example, you can cut your scalloped die out, then instead of using the emboss that the Spellbinders die will give you, take the paper out of the die and emboss with a fiskars texture plate. Or simply run it through your machine with another type of texture! I've used things found in my home like an onion bag, the criss-cross pattern of the bag will emboss into the paper, giving the die a totally new look. I've used "rug gripper", it gives a great country feel to the dies with the square pattern in the gripper.

The real difference in using the Wizard is the pressure it gives, you will get a deeper emboss with the Wizard because it exerts 3000 pounds of pressure.

I hope this info helps and inspires you to try something totally different with your new dies!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAView Post
subscribing too! I have used the oval embossing dies with my Cuttlebug but I have not had any problems with the dies sticking to the plates nor plates breaking. I am curious if everyone is getting a good embossed impression using the Cuttlebug. I have purchased the tan polymer mat and am using 3 pieces of cardstock to shim and the impression just doesn't seem to be too deep.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I ended up using 4 pieces of cardstock to shim, but I thought that was because I used some non SU cardstock (hated to use my "good" cardstock for a shim!).

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I have had similar learning experiences with my Big Shot and the sandwich recipes. I am impressed with the cuts...but there is a learning curve to find just the right pressure for the cutting and embossing. Rest assured that you will use lots of paper, replace acrylic plates...but you will have great results. I have a question...how do you place the dies to cut a shape and then create an embossed larger frame from a different die? What tips do you have to keep the die or paper from moving when you have to adjust/change to the polymer mat for embossing?
:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

the differences (how many sheets of cardstock to shim, whether your die gets stuck into the plate or not, etc.) seem to be a matter of your own personal CB machine. Like Cat said, each one has a little different spacing, so use the sandwich 'recipes' as a general guide, and then tweak it from there depending on how tight/loose your machine is...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 03:08 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Tan Polymer Mat

Where are you all getting your tan polymer mats? I am looking for one, but they're sold out. Embossing with my cuttlebug, I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Where are you all getting your tan polymer mats? I am looking for one, but they're sold out. Embossing with my cuttlebug, I can't wait!
I got mine from Ellen Hutson's store here:
http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/Detail?no=698
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granna on the GoView Post
I have had similar learning experiences with my Big Shot and the sandwich recipes. I am impressed with the cuts...but there is a learning curve to find just the right pressure for the cutting and embossing. Rest assured that you will use lots of paper, replace acrylic plates...but you will have great results. I have a question...how do you place the dies to cut a shape and then create an embossed larger frame from a different die? What tips do you have to keep the die or paper from moving when you have to adjust/change to the polymer mat for embossing?
:confused:
Granna
Try removable tape, attaching the die to the paper, then run through to emboss. This should work!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Tan Embossing Mats

I have a large one that I can cut up for those of you who want one.
This is an extra that I got.
If you are interested, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

larue, I haven't been able to find one either, do you have extra that you would share? I would be willing to pay you for it.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments on the dies. I am getting my soon, they are in the mail

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
I have a large one that I can cut up for those of you who want one.
This is an extra that I got.
If you are interested, please let me know.
Larue, I'd be interested too, and quite willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I was able to get my polymer mat from Ellen Hutson also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

Just got to subscribe before I purchase my nesties...
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

You can also get them from spellbinders website:

http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/...p?idAffiliate=

Don't know about the service, since I have never ordered from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #33  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

I ordered just the tan polymer 12x12 size mat from joanns.com and it was on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

subscribing because this is the first time I heard of nestabilities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #35  

I'm subscribing! Good info!

Click HERE to go to my Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

I've really wanted to get the nestibilities, but nervous about them! I'm glad to see this thread started! I'm subscribing for sure before I spend the $$!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

I'm really interested in buying them since they'd take the place of so many punches and would have so many size possibilities, but I definitely want to learn more before buying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default subscribing

I have not ordered these cause I am not working for 3 months....maybe Santa will bring them to me! Subscribing for future reference

I got my spellbinders mat piece from Marco's Paper. I have great luck with my brass stencils, but they do get a little bent up if you run them through the CB very much.

Thanks for posting this!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Great thread ... I hope to use my Nestabilities this coming weekend, so I'll be referring to the suggestions here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I ordered the complete set of Nesties to get them at the cheaper price. I have not had any of the problems I'm reading here. I have a cuttlebug and use the thick white plate, the C plate, then I place the die smooth side down, ridge up, place my cardstock on top, then place the B plate. I run it through the Cuttlebug perfectly, it doesn't stick to the B plate at all. I think there may be different pressure with each Cuttlebug machine, they each have their own personality. I absolutely love the nesties, I'm cutting everything with them, chipboard, metal sheets, ribbon, etc. I purchased mine from Ellen Hutson's store. The possibilities are endless. I went to Office Depot today and bought a black binder, several 4 x 6 magnet sheets ($2 for a package of two), and avery plastic tab sheets. I've placed two magnet sheets per page and layed the nesties right down on top of the magnets, perfect storage solution at a great price. I typed labels and inserted in the tabs so it'll be easy to find ovals, squares, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes